atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 1

#61 Post by atpollard »

Diana, Jacques, Remy, and Doc in Grogg and Tankard
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 1: Shift 2: Hour 2:45 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Doc leads everyone back to check on his patient, Urs. True to his nature, the boy is happy to see Doc and sign with him, and uncomfortable bordering on hostile towards the crowd of strangers. Doc explains the reason for the visit and Urs reluctantly agrees to listen to Jacques speak French and Remy speak several dialects of Spanish.

Urs confirms that it was definitely French and was able to confirm “brûler" … “burn it down” … as something that he heard them say.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Zhym »

Mercutio Routledge, Inventor Doctor

Mercutio bows slightly to the young woman at the top of the stairs. A mechanic, by the looks of her.

"Oh, hello there," he says, still rubbing the back of his head. "You didn't send those two ruffians after me, did you?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Urson »

Jo

Hello, sir. No, sir- we try to be the Good Guys.
Ruffians? Did they injure you? or just rob you? Did you happen to hear them say anything?

Jo smiles, a bit unsettled by the gentleman as he speaks to her.
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#64 Post by AsenRG »

Remy shrugged.
"Well, then they spoke French. But how many mercenaries from over there are in that city? I'm assuming that they stood to gain something from the burning, so someone probably paid for this. The question is, who would do that? And who from those people would happen to have any connections to France?"
He looked at the others.
"Seems we need a friendly local expert. Because neither of you knows that answer, I believe."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Zhym »

Mercutio Routledge

"There seemed to be some disagreement on the issue of their purpose. One of them said that they were 'just supposed to rob them.' The other seemed, well, easily disposed to accomplishing said robbery through violence. As it is, I am only somewhat injured." Mercutio checks his pockets to make sure he still has all his valuables.

"Still, I should tend to this injury. I don't suppose you know of another doctor in the area? I fear I may require stitches, and although I am medically trained myself, it is rather so difficult to perform surgery on the back of one's own head. Although I could..." A gleam enters Mercutio's eyes and he becomes much more animated. "Yes! A simple arrangement of prisms and mirrors, combined with an articulated waldo mechanism, would do quite the trick! Forget the doctor—is there a good machine shop nearby?"

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Leitz »

Diana looked at the others. "Lord Baldwin will likely support the truth, if we can prove it. Otherwise it's just new people jumping into local issues. Giving him a quiet word would be good, and I can do that. If we have more, though, that would be even better."

"That said, we also have other new people on the island, from the ship wreck. Perhaps we can find a few who had heard rumors, or would help investigate? Do any of you know anyone?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo looks starry-eyed for a second, then shakes her head and says Dr. Ignatz is tending to another gentleman who was attacked much the same way as you- I'm sure he can take care of any treatment you need.
FA FO

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by ffilz »

Urson wrote:Jo
Jo looks starry-eyed for a second, then shakes her head and says Dr. Ignatz is tending to another gentleman who was attacked much the same way as you- I'm sure he can take care of any treatment you need.
That's Dr. Linkletter...

And Dr. Linkletter will be happy to look at dr. Routledge's wounds.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Zhym »

"Oh!" replies Mercutio, still engrossed in his inventive ferver. "Well, then perhaps Doctor Ignatz could use an articulating periscopic surgery apparatus! Another doctor's input on the design would be most..."

He stops, perhaps on seeing the expression on the mechanic lady's face. "No, no, you're quite right. I should ask Doctor Ignatz if he requires assistance. Tend to the injured now; create useful gadgets later. Would you be so kind as to take me to the good doctor, ma'am?"

I figure I'll just go with the incorrect name until Mercutio meets Dr. Linkletter and is corrected. :D

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#70 Post by AsenRG »

Leitz wrote:Diana looked at the others. "Lord Baldwin will likely support the truth, if we can prove it. Otherwise it's just new people jumping into local issues. Giving him a quiet word would be good, and I can do that. If we have more, though, that would be even better."

"That said, we also have other new people on the island, from the ship wreck. Perhaps we can find a few who had heard rumors, or would help investigate? Do any of you know anyone?"

"A shipwreck? I don't think I know anyone, but I'm willing to go and talk to them. And if I meet anyone I know, it would be a bonus, I guess."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Urson »

Josephine
Jo blushes and smiles. I'll be glad to. This way, sir.
FA FO

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

Jacques is uncharacteristically quiet as the wounded man confirms that the attackers were french. He seems lost in thought about what this means for him. "I guess I'd better work on my accent so as to not be lumped in with these hooligans," Jacques says with a wink.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#73 Post by AsenRG »

"I don't think you really run such a risk, monsieur", Remy says politely.
"Would you come with me to talk to those people? There might be Frenchmen there, who'd rather talk to a compatriote."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#74 Post by atpollard »

Everyone in Company Town
Cycle 1063 (Winter): Day 1: Shift 2: Hour 3 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Josephine (Jo) arrived leading a half man/half machine construct … and several members of the party briefly wondered if she had built him … until Jo introduced Mercutio (Doc Routledge) to her “Doc”. There was a brief confusion about names that was instantly resolved and forgotten as Doctor Linkletter, Doctor Routledge and Miss Josephine all survived formal introductions. Jo, Samuel and Mercutio all quickly realized that they were cut from the same cloth and spoke the same language. Take the boy out of the street, but you can’t take the street out of the boy.
[all three characters are Soc 3 and “speak the same language”]

Doc Linkletter treated the minor injury which was minor enough that it would likely have recovered with no treatment, but as long as the patient was here …. In addition to the expected topical treatment to clean and numb the area, Samuel performed some neck and spinal manipulations that instantly removed all trace of a headache. Even your hangover felt better.
Roll= 9 + 3 = 12
While Samuel was focused on Mercutio’s head, Jo was studying the mechanical arm and asking questions about parts that she didn’t quite understand. Mercutio was delighted to talk about “Mechanics” with a fellow mechanic and became fascinated to hear of Jo’s project involving a mobile light to help search for clues.

Jo and Mercutio were in agreement that the Emporium for a supply run was the only logical next stop if they were to get started building.

The Baroness Hayes and Marquis Bonnet enjoyed some tea and pastries and quiet conversation as this medical-mechanical bonding ritual played out before them.

Remy remained ever vigilant of those around that might threaten “Misuser Jacques” and listened to the plans of mechanical constructs and wondered if it was faster to build it, ot just wait for the sun to rise. He smiled. For all of the wonder of their technology, they often made so much unnecessary work for themselves.

Still the time arrived for Jo and Mercutio to get to work and everyone else to decide who would help build and who would patiently wait.

(pause for opportunity for players to jump in before I continue. If anyone wants to roll your own dice for things, then just post four rolls of 2d6 that I can use for your character as needed. Otherwise, I will just roll off-screen as needed)
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Zhym »

Mercutio thanks the other doctor profusely. "Oh, thank you very much! I feel quite tip top! Excellent work, doctor."

He realizes that if he is to work with this group, he will need a nickname other than "Doc." These people already have a "Doc" and he appears quite competent at the job, besides. He mentally runs through some of the other nicknames he's been called, many of which he'd rather not have had. But some weren't bad. "Gadget," he rather liked. And "Mad Mac." Well, maybe he'd better leave off the "Mad" part on new acquaintance. "Call me 'Mac,'" he suggests. "Or 'Doc Mac,' if you prefer."

Joining Jo, he finds himself quickly engrossed in the work of designing the mobile lighting contraption. He does always enjoy a good project. He engages Jo in a technical dialogue, askng her about light sources, optics, focusing mechanisms, and the tradeoffs between projection distance and field of illumination.

When Remy mentions Frenchmen, Mercutio remembers something. "Oh! I nearly forgot—you asked what the men who accosted me said. One of them spoke French. Is that important?"

[2d6] = 9 [2d6] = 8 [2d6] = 8 [2d6] = 7

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#76 Post by AsenRG »

Zhym wrote:Mercutio thanks the other doctor profusely. "Oh, thank you very much! I feel quite tip top! Excellent work, doctor."

He realizes that if he is to work with this group, he will need a nickname other than "Doc." These people already have a "Doc" and he appears quite competent at the job, besides. He mentally runs through some of the other nicknames he's been called, many of which he'd rather not have had. But some weren't bad. "Gadget," he rather liked. And "Mad Mac." Well, maybe he'd better leave off the "Mad" part on new acquaintance. "Call me 'Mac,'" he suggests. "Or 'Doc Mac,' if you prefer."

Joining Jo, he finds himself quickly engrossed in the work of designing the mobile lighting contraption. He does always enjoy a good project. He engages Jo in a technical dialogue, askng her about light sources, optics, focusing mechanisms, and the tradeoffs between projection distance and field of illumination.

When Remy mentions Frenchmen, Mercutio remembers something. "Oh! I nearly forgot—you asked what the men who accosted me said. One of them spoke French. Is that important?"

[2d6] = 9 [2d6] = 8 [2d6] = 8 [2d6] = 7
"Might be?", Remy shrugs. "Somebody nearly killed a man yesterday. Bashed him on the head, they did, from behind. And we're now searching for them, because they committed arson as well...which might have been even nastier. So, you know. If those are the same people, it might very well matter, arson being a very serious crime here".

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Urson »

Jo
Jo gladly works with Mac, roughing out the plan for the light cart. Soon enough, they've finished planning and are ready to visit the Emporium for the materials. This is a well-stocked store- but we may find that they don't have a certain item in stock. We'll need to be ready to adapt.

[2d6] = 7 [2d6] = 10 [2d6] = 8 [2d6] = 3
FA FO

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Zhym »

Mac's eyes light up at the mention of adaptation. "It's a poor project that doesn't require some last-minute improvisation!" he says.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Urson »

Jo
The Chief Mechanic on the Calico always said you can't really be done with a job unless you've gone back to the Supply Hold at least twice.
Jo leads the way to the Emporium, and they begin their search.
FA FO

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jacques

Jacques watches in awe as the more mechanically minded set to work. "Amazing. Simply amazing."

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”