Cycle 1062 (Autumn), Day 37: Hamlet of Gwynedd

atpollard
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Cycle 1062 (Autumn), Day 37: Hamlet of Gwynedd

#21 Post by Leitz »

ffilz wrote:
Leitz wrote:Diana's brain worked hard. It was lunch. Doc Linkletter had been seen by lots of the castaways and locals since he treated many of them right after they arrived. Kids could run fast. Okay, she could do this.

"I need some kids who can run fast as the wind. Doc Linkletter is probably at lunch somewhere, but he checks in with the Company Doctor. A credit to anyone who can get Doc Linkletter to the boy's home within the next two hours." Diana looked at the fishermen. "Let's get this boy home and cooled off; he's likely to die of whatever it is. That would make us all look bad."
The kids will have to get over to company town by ferry or using a boat, assuming that's possible, I'll set a scene with the kids finding Doc.
OOC: Yup. Diana isn't sure where Doc is, but with tw hours they could get anywhere on the islands.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Urson »

Josephine

Jo gets a pained expression when the shipwreck is mentioned, but says nothing about it.

A sandbar? That could be a good thing, unless rot has started on the hull. Let's go see this ship of yours, Ignatz.
FA FO

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by ffilz »

A kid finds Doc, and after having to catch his breath and repeat the plea for help, Doc says "Surely we must attend to this fellow immediately, come let me get my bag and then you can show me the way." Doc hastens back to his room for his bag and then the two rush to aid the victim.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Pulpatoon »

Urson wrote:A sandbar? That could be a good thing, unless rot has started on the hull. Let's go see this ship of yours, Ignatz.
Ignatz: "Oh, I'm glad you're game! I think the hull is in solid shape. It's the engine, near as I can tell."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Urson »

Jo
We will need a good lantern- two, if we can manage it. I have a notepad, so I think that will cover our needs.
FA FO

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ignatz: "Lanterns and other necessaries are in the boat!"

Once Josephine is aboard, he unties and pushes off from the dock, and rows out to the sandbar.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Urson »

Jo
Do you know what the steamer was used for? And, by the by- what do you plan to do with it? Not that it is any of my concern, of course.
FA FO

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ignatz: "Well, despite the interventions of ill circumstance, I don't have plans to settle in Gwynedd. It's a fine little community, of course, but my career is on the water. Once I have a boat, I'll look for a crew—I imagine there are divers skilled hands in the same position as myself—and then we can take passengers or cargo on to the New Dawn's destination. It'll be a small operation, by necessity, but, as they say, from the tiny bud the mighty coral doth grow."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Urson »

Jo

Jo says nothing, but she's clearly interested when he says "crew."
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by atpollard »

IGNATZ & JOSEPHINE

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 38: Shift 2: Hour 6:00 [Abandoned Sternwheeler near Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

Jo and Ignatz boarded the abandoned boat. The deck felt solid enough under your feet and the ship appeared to have good “bones” with no sign of sagging or hogging and no breaks in the smooth lines of the hull that might indicate either a side staved in or a bad repair in her past. Poking at the gaps in the deck caulking, the hull could use a little basic maintenance but appeared sound.

Entering the cargo area at the center of the main deck, you saw that this bare room could serve as a dry cargo hold or as additional living space. It was functional and well used with nothing ornate about it. Flipping a mental coin, forward or aft, you chose to head forward first.

Forward of the cargo hold was the boiler room and what was once a pair of boilers. The hole in the wall where the shell entered and the shrapnel from the exploding boiler told the story. There was little left of the ship’s boilers. While they could theoretically be rebuilt using some of the remaining parts, the hundreds of man-hours and thousand Credits needed just to get them reasonably functional, was not worth the investment. It would be better to just replace them with a couple of new or used boilers for only a little more money and a lot less time. Jo thought that the boilers still on the sunken steamer might fit ... if you could recover them.

Up a small ladder and you were on the bridge. It was a small bridge for a small ship, designed to be operated by only one man. The stench from the rotting corpse was almost unbearable, but a quick examination showed that all the important parts were still there and the wheel still turned the rudder. The bridge was filthy, but functional.

Another short ladder led down from the bridge into the forward crew quarters. The small space was designed to sleep two, but had “Pullman” fold down beds that would allow the room to fit 4 with some crowding. Unfortunately whoever searched the ship had not been gentle and there was a lot of damage to the cabin. Broken paneling that might have had secret compartments and slashed padding scattered about. Then the dampness from the open windows had caused mold to start to grow on much of the cloth in the room. It would take a little time, a little money and a lot of elbow grease to get the cabin back into functional condition.

Having reached the front, it was time to examine the back of the ship. Directly aft of the central cargo space was a large double cabin. Apparently it could be configured as either a single room with a sitting area, or as two smaller bedrooms. Like the forward crew cabin, the aft passenger stateroom was not in usable condition and required extensive cleaning and repair to ready it for passengers.

At the far aft, the compound engine with a condenser to recycle the water, the linkage to the paddle wheel and the wheel itself were all in exceptionally good condition. It was an expensive engine, well made and durable, and with a more advanced boiler, it could likely drive this ship even beyond her Hull speed. As it is, Jo estimated the ship and engine capable of 15 kph cruise speed and 20 kph top speed.

Walking around the hull, Jo found another hole. This one was easy to patch, but it had pierced the biodiesel storage tank. This allowed water to mix with the fuel, ruining the half-full tanks of fuel, but even worse, the vegetable oil and water environment mixed with air and seawater allowed some sort of slime to grow in the tanks. Now the fuel tanks were a solid mass of some primitive gelatinous plant life. They would need to be completely removed, disassembled, cleaned and sterilized repaired and then reinstalled back in the hull. It was only 150 credits for the parts and supplies, but it was about a week’s worth of work minimum and twice that to really do the job right.

While Jo examined the ship, Ignatz had brought along a shovel this time and performed the unpleasant task of burying the remains of the former owner. He washed down the bridge with buckets of seawater and opened all the windows to let it air out. It still smelled bad, but it smelled better. Yet standing alone in the bridge with the ship’s wheel in his hand, for just a moment, it felt right.

Ignatz climbed a ladder to the roof of the main deck and discovered the remains of a tattered canvas awning. The roof of the Cargo, Passenger Stateroom and Engine Room was a large usable deck with a canvas awning and railing around the side that could be used as outdoor living space, or could be used to greatly increase the cargo capacity of the ship.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by atpollard »

DIANA* & DOC & IGNATZ & JOSEPHINE

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 38: Shift 3: Hour 2:00 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

The young boy delivered Doc to the home of the sick boy where an armed woman paid him silver coin for his efforts and introduced herself as Diana Hayes. Doc was able to quickly stabilize the patient, but it was just going to be a long, slow recovery for the boy ... likely several months before he regained full strength. The simple fact was he was closer to dead than alive and a body takes time to recover from something like that.

Diana had connections in the Landings and made introductions. Once word spread that there was a non-Company Town doctor and that he had saved one of their own, Doc found himself with seven serious patients, some critical. Doc treated several infections before they became life threatening and cleaned and stitched a lot of serious cuts ... apparently fishing was a dangerous profession. The worst case required Doc to remove two fingers, but left the man with an 80% chance of keeping his hand. A less skilled doctor would have simply removed the arm, but Doc had read in a journal about some new methods of increasing blood flow to damaged tissue and the blackened arm quickly pinked right up.

Ignatz had finished tying up the boat at the dock from which he rented it, gathered the few papers he had secured from the ship and the megar personal effects of the former Captain, and was heading back to town to get something to eat and make some hard decisions about his next move. A Navy man knew that if he wanted to keep the boat, there would be paperwork involved and one of the first tasks would be to prove the captain/owner was dead ... unless he wanted to wait 7 years to officially own the boat. Ignatz had more than enough evidence between the personal effects and the ship's log and the papers he salvaged from the cabin plus the corpse. What he didn't have is what the Admiralty would demand ... a Death Certificate signed by a Doctor. Ownership required a Death Certificate and a Death Certificate required a Doctor.

Jo kept going over her list and her notes. It could be done. It was too soon to tell if it was worth the effort. It would take more hands working on it if they wanted to finish the work anytime soon. The trick was to prioritize what needed to be done first and what could wait. Then to figure out what to repair and what to replace. She had two concerns on her mind. First, she needed to get the cut on her arm taken care of to prevent infection. It wasn't deep, so she had little concern about it healing, but it was contaminated with that green goo from the fuel tank and that worried her. The second concern was repairing the fuel tank. She was confident in her ability to do the physical repairs, but she was worried about what should be used to kill the goo and decontaminate the tank. It would be very bad to not kill all of it and have that stuff grow back in the fuel system. There was a lot of good piping and pumps that would need replacing if she could not decontaminate it.

As Ignatz and Jo approached the Pub in The landings, there was quite a commotion tonight. People were all talking about "Lady Diana's" new friend and how Doctor Linkletter had saved Toby O'Sheehan arm.

"Black as soot, it was." said a woman. "Oh and the smell, I don't need to be tellin ya about the smell. Like death itself."

"Aye, saw it myself." said a man "And don't you know, now the skin, it's pink as the blush on a young maid's cheek."

*[Note: Diana is temporarily in NPC mode while Leitz is out of town.]

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Urson »

Jo
As I said in the rowboat,Ignatz- we'll have a job of work ahead of us if you want to proceed. It will not be cheap, and it will take a while. But it will be a first- rate vessel when you're done.
If you choose to go ahead, I'd appreciate the work.
FA FO

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ignatz thanks Jo with the graciousness of one trained from an early age in social niceties. In response to her appraisal of the ship, he says, "There's a lot of potential in her, don't you agree? It'll be a job to get her back to what she was, but can you imagine letting her just sit out there to rot?

"First things first, let's go see a doctor about your arm. I have a question or two for him, myself. If I can make the legal claim on the wreck, then I'm eager to get to work. I might need to look for some backing however. What would be ideal is another stranded soul, not quite ready to settle down, with a hefty purse to put towards that end."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Urson »

Jo

Jo scratches at the rag she tied over the cut. The folk remedy says to cauterize the wound if you get greenslime in it- but I've seen a few people try that, and lose their arm from the slime after all.

I'm not certain how much I could muster, but I'd be glad of the chance to buy into a working steamer.
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by atpollard »

DIANA* & DOC & IGNATZ & JOSEPHINE

Cycle 1062 (Autumn): Day 38: Shift 3: Hour 2:10 [Hamlet of Gwynedd: 45N,25W]

PUB in The Landings (#27):

Doc was enjoying a meal 'on the house' and politely declining offers to buy him another drink ... Doc still had to be able to walk home and was a little too old for drinking until he passed out. However the notoriety was both a blessing and a curse. It felt good to be useful and recognized and cheered as a hero, plus Doc had earned ten credits cash and thirty credits in goods. He stared again at two live hens in a cage waiting for him in a corner and wondered where he was going to keep them, but at least he has two sacks of grain to feed them. This was Diana's fault. She just smiled and encouraged that woman so Doc had no way to decline the gift. The down side of fame was Doc was tired of being congratulated and thanked. He just wanted to eat in a little peace and quiet. He pushed the last bit of now cold stew away and focused on his beer. Doc hoped to finish and return to the anonymous chaos of the Grogg and tankard where he was not the center of attention.

"That's himself." said the muscular man pushing through the mass of happy drunk fisher folk to clear a path for Ignatz and Jo. "That's Doc Linkletter. Hey Doc, got a couple o' swells what need yer help." he shouted.

Doc turned and saw a well groomed gentlemen accompanied by a lady dressed like an engineer and holding a rag around her forearm. "A toast to the doctor!" shouted a drunk man as Doc turned from his beer. Others responded with the toast. Doc just hurried towards Ignatz and Jo, grateful for any distraction and any excuse to step out.

"Hey, Don't forget your chickens." a man said helpfully as he piled the crate atop Doc's borrowed wheelbarrow of goods just outside the door.

Doc nodded a thanks and wheeled a short distance away where he could talk to his patient without drunken interruptions. He lit his new lantern for light. Diana followed, drawn by her natural curiosity.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by ffilz »

Let me have a look at that m'am, by the way you're holding that it looks serious.

Doc is curious what an engineer is doing in this part of town. And as a ship's doctor, he was certainly familiar with the sorts of injuries engineers often sustained (hmm, I'm not sure if we know if he served on a sail or steam ship).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Pulpatoon »

Ignatz Introduces himself and Jo to the Doctor and then recognizes Diana. He immediately becomes more formal. "Your Ladyship! May I introduce to you Josephine Baxter-Smith, an excellent mechanic. Miss Baxter-Smith, the Right Honorable The Lady Hayes."

Ignatz patiently waits for news that Jo is in good shape before introducing the notion of the death certificate. He briefly outlines his intentions for the salvage for the benefit of two fellow survivors, trying to keep himself from getting to excited at the thought of getting Diana to contribute to his scheme.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by ffilz »

Doctor Linkletter at your service. Ms. Hayes, can you recommend a quiet place to look at Ms. Baxter-Smith's injury? There's no sense trying to go back to the tavern, we'll be overwhelmed by folks wanting to help, and while spirits have a place in treatment and healing, spilled beer and staggering drunkards are not going to help us.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by atpollard »

ffilz wrote:Doctor Linkletter at your service. Ms. Hayes, can you recommend a quiet place to look at Ms. Baxter-Smith's injury? There's no sense trying to go back to the tavern, we'll be overwhelmed by folks wanting to help, and while spirits have a place in treatment and healing, spilled beer and staggering drunkards are not going to help us.
Diana suggested that the Hearthfire would be a quiet place to gather, and Ignatz led the way into Old Town. A fire burned in the hearth and the Great Hall was nearly empty. With the Kitchen closed, there was no food being served mid-shift, but the owner was available to offer anyone with cash a drink from the bar.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Urson »

Josephine
Jo smiles at the Dr, and sketches a curtsey to Her Ladyship.

I'm not very worried about the cut itself- I have closed worse with a dab of tar. The greenslime in it is worrisome, though.
She sits still for the exam and whatever treatment. She doesn't stay quiet, grunting and gasping as she's treated.
FA FO

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”