Chapter 1: At The End of All Things

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1 Post by Inferno »

"So we come to it... the great battle of our time, in which many things shall pass away." -Theoden, The Return of the King

Northern Mirkwood Forest, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 19, the First Year of the Fourth Age
Wet, rainy, cold

Alas that these dark times should be ours. All hope is gone. The end has come.

Faithless and accursed, the dark lord Sauron has unleashed a War across Middle Earth to end all wars and cover the world in shadow. For he would have dominion over all life on this Earth, even unto the ending of the world.

A company of brave young heroes, their former companies scattered and destroyed, have collided together in a desperate retreat through Mirkwood Forest!

They forge their way south from the northernmost edge of the woodland realm where they witnessed in horror an onslaught of orcs and trolls shatter their lines, leaving them no choice but to flee!

The young heroes make for the Elven King's Halls, following the Forest River through the vast, dark and oppressive wood.

There, they seek to regroup and strike out anew against the Enemy with what forces that remain. Behind them, they know not where, an army of Orcs pursue them. Alas, nor do they know the fate of their former companies.

Recent rumours and evil news of the War still ring in their weary heads. Could it be true?!

• "Saruman has betrayed the Men of the West! A vast army of Uruk-Hai has marched forth from Isengard and defeated Rohan, taking Helm's Deep and murdering all within it, including King Theoden!"

"Minas Tirith is fallen! The army of Gondor is destroyed. The steward, his son Boromir, and Gandalf the Wizard are dead!"

"In southern Mirkwood, orcs pour forth from Dol Guldur led by Khamûl, the Ringwraith second in command to the Witch-king of Angmar, and lay siege upon the elves of Lothlorien!"

"To the north, orcs issue forth from the Grey Mountains, and Easterlings cross the Carnen River, and lay siege upon the Men of Dale and the Elves of Northern Mirkwood!"

It is from that northern front that the heroes retreat, and where they expect to return after joining forces with any resistance that remains.

After traveling for days without rest, they come at last within a quarter mile of their destination. And then their hearts fall.

Through the thick canopy of trees, they see the dark sky above the Elven King's Halls is alive with fire! And the wind carries upon it the smell of smoke and the cry of anguished voices in the night!

Introductory Posts and Actions?!

Map of Wilderland:

The dotted red line marks the heroes' path. The red X, their current position.

Map of Middle Earth:

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30, played by ravenn4544
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30, played by wolfpack
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 21/21, played by Ogre Mage
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 28/28, played by hedgeknight
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 24/24, played by Scott308
    Gilwennen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl, played by ChubbyPixie
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elven Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 8/8, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl, played by rredmond
    Perrin 'Pockets' Hilltopple: Male Hobbit Fighter/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 8, HP: 14/14, played by dmw71
    Therone: Female Elven Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22, played by Urson
    Tinuwen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, played SocraticLawyer
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 1: At The End of All Things

#2 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

No, it cannot be! Have the elves fallen, too? We seem trapped between the hammer and the anvil. Orcs behind, an unknown army in front...where do we turn? Where do we go, Gilly?

Glasik is an outgoing, cheerful dwarf. An able fighter, he is one of the strongest beings of any race that you have ever met. He is, however, decidedly not one of the smartest. Deft with his double-bladed axe, he does not shy away from close combat. He has a tight bond with his older and smarter sister, Gilly, whose welfare he puts ahead of his own.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by wolfpack »

Elbenwin of Dul-Amorth

If rumors are true then we have little hope, but hope yet lives. The best we can do is move forward, if the eleven halls have fallen mayhap we can aid in any survivors escape.

Let us move forward brother and evaluate the situation

Elbenwin is proud of his heritage and Dunedain bloodline, he takes his duty and responsibilities seriously and has a general belief good will prevail.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin nods grimly as he watches the flames in the distance,"You speak truly, Brother. Let us make haste to lend aide if we can!"

He makes little to no noise as he makes his way through the forest - his equipment secured from decades of experience in the field. Nothing jingles or reflects the light. All is in it's place. The browns and greens of his cloak masks him in the wood and you loose sight of him surprisingly quickly.

Elbenarin, a Ranger of the North, is a silent hope in the dark seeking to right the wrongs of Evil.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone studies the sky, her mouth a grim, hard line. Her voice is choked with fury when she speaks. I have family and friends there. We can't allow this to go unanswered. We must help the survivors, and then hunt down the ones who did this!
A single tear rolls through the road dirt on her face.

Therone is tall for an elf, and is an expert archer. She is a quiet one.
FA FO

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly gapes in disbelief at the orangey sky and shakes her head as she listens to her new companions. "The rangers are right, Glass...we must press on, even if we can save but one from this...this nightmare."

She uncorks her waterskin, kneels and cups her hand, and pours some into it, beckoning Red (her dog) to drink. Sweat drips off her bulbous nose and she looks haggard, but Gilda Ironfoot is not one to give up easily. She might not be the sharpest pick in the pile (as her father was fond of saying), but her head is the hardest and she won't quit as long as there is a ray of hope to keep her going.
Winter is coming...

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Gilwennen, F/MU

After a dramatic moment, Gilwennen, perched tragically atop a stone outcropping, peering down upon the scene of destruction, turns her piercing gaze upon the group and says: "A nightmare, indeed. We have seen the nightfall and now truly walk in darkness. There can be only one remaining hope, one light - the last Homely House. Surely it still stands, shining like a pale star, a beacon in the void. We must save who we can and thence to Rivendell. Master Elrond will know what to do."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Urson »

Therone

Therone says nothing more, but nods at Gilwennen's statements.
FA FO

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor Nowe
The smallish, frail-looking elf just shakes his head. "Dark times," he whispers to no one in particular "Lothlorien will stand longer than men, but Imladris is closer, and better hidden than the mallorn trees. After saving what we can here, it is likely our best move." He coughs a wracking cough due to the smoke, then adds "how best do we find the survivors?"
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

"What's the problem?" Pockets asks, shrugging ignorantly, seemingly oblivious to the sky on fire in their path. Tirelessly shifting his weight from one foot to the other, this brief reprieve and lack of progress seems to make him more nervous than any potential threat looming in front of them. He looks to Folco, trying to judge whether his fellow hobbit shares his lack of concern, or if this is yet another example of his difficulty in judging the relative weight of a situation.

"Are we..." he begins to add, but retreats into silent without finishing his thought.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

With all these elves talking, Gilly gives her brother a glance and a slight shake of the head, and pulls him to the side. In a low whisper, she speaks to him in Dwarven.
Glasik:
"We're on our own here, brother, not only surrounded by enemies, but worse...Elves! They only think of themselves and their people, don't forget that! When our families were being routed and killed in the Grey Mountains and the Iron Hills...where were the Elves? Sitting all cozy in their tree houses, writing poems and making other little elves. P'rhaps the Hobbits can be trusted, but who knows? For now, we go along and see what happens. But don't let your guard down, not around these pricks. They'd just as soon leave us as to help us, mark my word!"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#12 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco Boffin

The plain looking, hairy footed hobbit sighs heavily at the words of his kinfolk.

"The problem....... is that we are running out of places to run!"

The earthen clad shireling shakes his head when he sees the flames in the direction of their destination.

"If the elves in their glorious halls are not safe, then what chance do we have? Remember when the wizard Gandalf would visit the Shire, Pockets? With his glorious poppers and snapdragons? I refuse to believe that he could be killed! In fact, I wish he were here now. He would know what we should do to get out of this fiery mess!"

The slightly disheveled halfling looks from one party member to the next, glad that it isn't he who will be making the decision to continue or try another avenue.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by wolfpack »

rredmond wrote:Naruthirdor Nowe
"how best do we find the survivors?"
By doing the same thing we have been doing, moving forward. I will scout ahead

Elbenwin will unsling his bow and with a nod and hand motion to his brother indicating his direction begin moving ahead of the group to scout.

Scott308

#14 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

The dwarf listens to his sister's counsel. Looking at their companions, he speaks quietly to her in dwarven.

Gilly
Aye, Gilly. But we can be better than them. We can help the elves, even though they did nothing to help us dwarves. The little ones...I'm not sure we can count on them in a fight. I hope they can prove themselves.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by SocraticLawyer »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Gilwennen, F/MU

After a dramatic moment, Gilwennen, perched tragically atop a stone outcropping, peering down upon the scene of destruction, turns her piercing gaze upon the group and says: "A nightmare, indeed. We have seen the nightfall and now truly walk in darkness. There can be only one remaining hope, one light - the last Homely House. Surely it still stands, shining like a pale star, a beacon in the void. We must save who we can and thence to Rivendell. Master Elrond will know what to do."
Tinuwen
Aye, let us rescue all we may from here, thence to Rivendell.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Scott308

#16 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Getting his axe, Glasik starts following the elves. We're not gonna save anyone standing around here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone shakes her head, jolted out of her reverie by the dwarf's practicality. She moves quickly, watching both sides of the trail with an arrow nocked on her bow.
FA FO

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Inferno »

Northern Mirkwood Forest, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 19, the First Year of the Fourth Age
Wet, rainy, cold

A company of brave young heroes races through Mirkwood Forest to the Elven King's Halls, only to be horrified by what they find there!

The sky is filled with red flame and towering columns of billowing black smoke. They know with certainty and horror that the Elven King's Hall is besieged and afire!

They run swiftly up the river, racing toward the heart of the conflagration! Screams, shouts and other unmistakable sounds of the horror of war grow louder with every step! And then suddenly, chillingly, those sounds begin to die.

The young heroes leap through a sundered wall of trees and reach a large clearing where the ground is choked with wreck and with bodies of the slain! The trees above are a raging inferno. Elf-homes and platforms high in the branches are engulfed in a holocaust of hungry flames!

In horror they see that ahead of them, backlit by the roaring blaze, stand several orcs! (O1-3) Surrounded by the gruesome handiwork of their cruel massacre, they talk and laugh in their foul speech, hideous faces twisted and misshapen in wicked glee. Their crude ugly swords are red with blood. And two wood-elves lay directly at their feet, headless.

The evil leering creatures don't notice the heroes' advance through smoke and fire.

Beyond them, silhouetted by leaping flames and roiling fumes, is a black fearsome shadow so large that it could only be a troll! (T1)

Actions?!

Map:

One square = 10 feet.
Bands of light mark areas of visibility. Bands of darkness are smoke, where visibility is 30'.
PCs' positions are marked by first two letters of their name (or nickname) unless it conflicts with another PC.

Map of Wilderland:

The dotted red line marks the heroes' path. The red X, their current position.

Non-required Reading (rolls and rulings):
PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30, played by ravenn4544
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 30/30, played by wolfpack
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 21/21, played by Ogre Mage
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 28/28, played by hedgeknight
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 24/24, played by Scott308
    Gilwennen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl, played by ChubbyPixie
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elven Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 8/8, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl, played by rredmond
    Perrin 'Pockets' Hilltopple: Male Hobbit Fighter/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 8, HP: 14/14, played by dmw71
    Therone: Female Elven Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22, played by Urson
    Tinuwen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl, played SocraticLawyer
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Seeing the bloody ruins of the elves, her eyes stinging from the raging fire and smoke, Gilly grits her teeth and hisses to her companions. "They don't see us yet. Some of us need to flank the orcs and get to the troll. Glass and myself might be best at handling the brute...or at least distracting it."
She hefts one of her throwing axes and looks to the others. "We must act quickly!"
Winter is coming...

Scott308

#20 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Carefully setting his axe down so the haft leans against him, he carefully readies his crossbow, loading a bolt. I'll fire at one of the orcs, then try to get around to the troll. I don't want to shoot until everyone is ready. Don't want to tip our hand to them, he says, softly.
Crossbow (19): [1d20] = 3; Damage: [1d4] = 1
Even with the bonus for surprise, I'm pretty sure that doesn't even hit the broadside of a barn.

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”