Chapter 1: At The End of All Things

Inferno
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Chapter 1: At The End of All Things

#141 Post by dmw71 »

Pockets, hearing the sounds of battle begin to fade, shifts almost immediately to a relaxed state. "I think we're safe now," he says to those still behind him; whom he had tasked himself with defending whether they sought his assistance or not. He glances over his shoulder to make sure Tinuwen and Naruthirdor are safe as he slides Point into its sheath.

Once all appears in order, he begins crossing the battlefield to locate Folco, whom he hasn't seen since getting separated early on, pausing briefly at the body of any deceased foe in his path. With a practiced eye, he quickly scans the fallen forms for a trinket of some kind, which he'll pocket.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#142 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Glasik speaks to the Elves. I mourn with you for the loss of your kinsmen. Evil is strong, but we shall vanquish them, avenging the deaths of all who stood true, fighting to defend the world from the darkness.

To Gandalf, he asks, What news have you? Is it true- has terrible Smaug awakened to cast his shadow upon the land once more?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Gilwennen shops short and straightens when the troll is felled. Gazing around her at the horror of elven lights forever extinguished, a single tear rolls down her otherwise stoic visage. With a solemn bow she wordlessly acknowledges the grey wizard, Mithrandir, if that be who he will really is, pausing before setting to the practical work of gathering spent arrows to hear what the visitor had to say.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Urson »

Therone

Therone barks a laugh of victory when the troll falls. She falls silent as the true extent of the destruction dawns on her.

She tries to find the arrows she launched at the troll: recover arrows 1 is recovered [1d2] = 2 recover arrows 1 is recovered [1d2] = 2
But finds both are too damaged to re-use.

She bows her head when they encounter Gandalf, a silent tear dropping from her eyes.
FA FO

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#145 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen also searches for reusable arrows. She waits for Mithrandir to respond to the others' queries.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by hedgeknight »

"Gandalf? Can it be?" Gilly, who had been shaking her head in disbelief and anger at the devastation in the elf king's hall, now gapes at the wizard in awe.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#147 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco checks over the dead enemies without shame, looking over the fallen elves for anything valuable as well while the group moves around the area. When he finds Pockets again, he is glad to see his kinsman unharmed.

“If they can do this much damage here, to this place, just think what might happen to our Shire, Perrin. I couldn’t imagine the grief of seeing our own people slaughtered thusly.”

The tiny thief keeps a sharp eye out for anything that might seem off about the newcomers while the others call out to them.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Inferno »

The Elven King's Halls, Mirkwood Forest, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 19, Year One of the Fourth Age
Wet, rainy, cold

The steady rain stops a conflagration born of dragonfire from consuming all of Mirkwood. The orange glow in the night sky is as a funeral pyre for the wood-elf kingdom.

The thrill of battle falls away. The troubles of the world quickly return to the heroes and with them, tears, anger, suspicion and disbelief.

The great doors to the Elven King's Hall, carved into the mighty rockface itself, have tumbled in riven fragments to the ground and black smoke and flame roil out from the caverns beyond!

Overcome with grief, the surviving wood-elves emerge and tend to their fallen.

Their people have been decimated.

Glasik the dwarf says to his ancestral enemies, "I mourn with you for the loss of your kinsmen. Evil is strong, but we shall vanquish them, avenging the deaths of all who stood true, fighting to defend the world from the darkness."

The elven archers of the company recover what arrows they can. The hobbits, exhibiting behavior that might uncharitably be described as rat-like, loot the massacred dead while their bodies are still warm. Their eager little fingers find coins, daggers, jewelry, swords, bows and arrows of exquisite elvish craft; their unrivaled beauty now stained with blood.

The company of heroes reverently approach the grey pilgrim with doubt and awe; an old wizard bent with the cares of the world, wise with many winters, hiding a power that yet they felt.

So too do a few of the wood-elves of Mirkwood cautiously advance.

Elbenarin is first to gather the strength to speak. "They said mighty Minas Tirith had fallen - and with it, you and the Steward. If you are here... perhaps Minas Tirith still stands also.... what- what news?"

Naruthirdor echoes the questions of the Dunedain, and Elbenwin adds, "...tell us... is it true... that the wizard Saruman has betrayed us all?"

Gandalf says, "Alas. It is true. Minas Tirith is fallen. I saw it with my own eyes. Saruman has betrayed us, and himself most of all.
"Now I am Saruman... Or rather Saruman as he should have been."

Shining and fair, an Elven prince of Mirkwood steps forward and bows before the wizard.

"Our grief is great and our loss cannot be mended.
"But, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell, it is you. Your presence here is like a light in the darkness. You bring hope.
"But how? We heard... that you had fallen."

Gandalf nods. "Yes. Before fire. And steel.
"From the lowest street to the highest tower of Minas Tirith, I fought him, the Witch King of Angmar."

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the walls of the white city.
"Darkness took me. And I strayed... out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as the life age of the Earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again.
"I've been sent back... until my task is done."

Gilly whispers in astonishment, "Gandalf? Can it be?"

"Gandalf? Oh yes. That's what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey. That was my name," the wizard says as he removes his hat and cloak, revealing raiment and hair of purest alabaster. A moonbeam pierces the gloom and crowns the wizard with light.
"I am Gandalf the White."

"And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide."

Glasik the dwarf asks, "Has terrible Smaug awakened to cast his shadow upon the land once more?"

"Yes," says Gandalf. "Unless there any here with courage enough to avenge themselves upon him. And, in doing so, avert the dark course of this world."

Actions?!

Map:

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 27/30, played by ravenn4544
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/30, played by wolfpack
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 17/21, played by Ogre Mage
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 25/28, played by hedgeknight
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 24/24, played by Scott308
    Gilwennen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, played by ChubbyPixie
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elven Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 5/8, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl, played by rredmond
    Perrin 'Pockets' Hilltopple: Male Hobbit Fighter/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 8, HP: 14/14, played by dmw71
    Therone: Female Elven Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22, played by Urson
    Tinuwen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 6/7, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl, played SocraticLawyer
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by wolfpack »

At the last words Elbenwin steps forward

Then tell me where the beast be and how he can be slain and I will quest to do so even if I must do it alone. I gladly pledge my life to stopping the darkness that has descended over the land.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilly smiles, her eyes wet and shining, as the wizard's glory is revealed. Then she goes to one knee. She puts her arm around Red and says, "These evil wyrms have been a plague to my family since the beginning of time. I would be honored to send one to its grave and somehow revenge my lost kin. We'll fight for ya, Gandalf, won't we brother?"
She looks up at Glasik with a grim determination on her ruddy face.
Winter is coming...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Urson »

Therone
And I! We have the courage, Lord Gandalf....but I fear that we would smash against the Wyrm like a wave against a cliff face.
We have the courage, but not the power.

Therone, who lifted her face to speak, bows her head again, blushing to the tips of her ears.
FA FO

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin nods at the words of Therone. "The elven warrior speaks wisely. The will is there to see this through - however, what chance do we have at overcoming such a terrible beast? Look about you! Look at the flames and fires of destruction!"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Gilwennen bows deeply when the identity of the stranger is revealed. “There is hope, then. Gandalf, you are wise and see many things. Where might we best direct our efforts in order to thwart the evil of Sauron? Or perhaps, Saruman, now weakened, should be our focus. Might not foiling his plans be a first move in the larger game? Who is left now to help us in our struggle? Does Rivendell still stand? We must act quickly.” she says.

Arrow Recovery (50%): [1d100] = 34, [1d100] = 51
Arrow Recovery (50%): [1d100] = 29, [1d100] = 47
Arrow Recovery (50%): [1d100] = 54, [1d100] = 71
Arrow Recovery (50%): [1d100] = 98, [1d100] = 16
4 arrows recovered

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by rredmond »

Naruthirdor sighs as he looks around at the fire and ruin, "Mithrandir, I had hoped to study under you one day, when I had at least some power and knowledge to bring me to the point of being able to learn from you." He looks up and tries to see if there is any blue to the sky yet, "one of the nine and the most powerful at that, has been defeated, so there is hope yet! With the blessings of the White," Naruthirdor nods his head at Gandalf, "this group has the courage to take on the task of Smaug, but how can we do so?" His speech, almost emotion in the beginning, snaps back to logical by the end, and then the smoke makes him cough as if in retribution.

Knowing that he's hurt, but not wanting to waste the last of his precious spells, Naruthirdor attempts first aid upon himself for 1hp: Wisdom Check WIS: 16 [1d20] = 16 That's good, yes?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Scott308

#155 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot
hedgeknight wrote:We'll fight for ya, Gandalf, won't we brother?"
I'll follow you to the ends of the earth if necessary, Gilly.

Turning to the wizard, he pledges his aid. You have my axe.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#156 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco slowly steps up to the others after they have said their peace. He lays out the larger weapons he has collected at the feet of the group, keeping his belt pouch stuffed with the smaller items.

“I have take......foun.......collected these items along the way here. Perhaps they might be of some aid to those of us still able to continue the fight. I’ve heard elves can make the very best of weapons......” He tries not to look in the direction of the 2 dwarves when he says this.

“Perhaps we could all benefit from one o’ these shiny daggers, Mr. Gandalf? It’s possible ye remember me from your visits to the Shire. Folco Boffin, son of Vigo, at your service, and your families, either way sir, ” he says bowing to the Istari wizard.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#157 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Scott308 wrote:Glasik Ironfoot

Turning to the wizard, he pledges his aid. You have my axe.
And my bow,says Tinuwen, collecting as many arrows as she is able. She also performs first aid on herself.

First Aid (16) [1d20] = 9

Recover arrow? (50) [1d100] = 8
Recover arrow? (50) [1d100] = 57
Recover arrow? (50) [1d100] = 34
Recover arrow? (50) [1d100] = 72
Recover arrow? (50) [1d100] = 83
Recover arrow? (50) [1d100] = 81
Recover arrow? (50) [1d100] = 49
Recover arrow? (50) [1d100] = 41
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Scott308

#158 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot
OGRE MAGE wrote: I’ve heard elves can make the very best of weapons......” He tries not to look in the direction of the 2 dwarves when he says this.
Glasik looks hurt by this comment from the hobbit. If you like bows. Now, for a blade of some sort... the dwarf mutters to himself.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Inferno »

The Elven King's Halls, Mirkwood Forest, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
Night. March 19, Year One of the Fourth Age
Wet, rainy, cold

The unlikely company of young heroes pledge to Gandalf the White that they accept this quest to undo the great wyrm, Smaug.

Naruthirdor and Tinuwen tend to their wounds as Folco Boffin, shamed into relinquishing his ill gotten gains, introduces himself to Gandalf and bows.

Gandalf replies, "You are far from the Shire, little one. As are we all now."

The young company introduces themselves and Gilwennen the elf-maiden asks of Saruman and Rivendell.

Gandalf answers, "Rivendell yet stands. And you are right, Gilwennen. It would make an excellent defensive position. But now is no time for caution. The fate of the world will soon be decided. I'm afraid we've not much time left."

Realization slowly descends upon the young company and with it, fear. They possess the will and the courage to undertake this desperate quest, but what chance have they against the likes of Smaug?

"We shall see to it that you have such power as you need to complete this quest," promises the wizard. "West and south of here, in the Mountains of Mirkwood, lies a stronghold of the ancient world. Therein may be found the means by which the greatest dragon of all, Ancalagon the Black was destroyed. You must make haste there. Then you will be able to withstand Smaug the terrible."

The elvish prince asks, "Gandalf, you said that defeating the dragon could "avert the dark course of this world." What does that mean?"

"None of this was meant to be. Perhaps it is some dread device of Sauron's. I cannot tell," Gandalf answers, almost to himself. Then, louder: "I'm afraid, Legolas Greenleaf, son of Thranduil, that such questions must go unanswered for now. Will you trust me?"

"Of course, Gandalf. To the ends of the earth," Legolas pledges. "May I also join this quest?"

Gandalf answers, "No, my brave friend. You are the king of Mirkwood now. I have other urgent tasks for you and your people. We must direct the Enemy's attention away from this young company. In them, all our hope must rest."

Legolas nods. He presents gifts to the company from the accumulated treasure of Folco and Pockets; Elvish bows, shortswords, longswords, elf-spears, and daggers. "May they aid you in your quest, and avenge their former masters."

Replies? Actions? (And please add one +1 weapon of your choosing, from the above types, to your inventory.)

Map:

PC Status:
  • Elbenarin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 27/30, played by ravenn4544
    Elbenwin: Male Dunedain Ranger 2: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 20/30, played by wolfpack
    Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 17/21, played by Ogre Mage
    Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 25/28, played by hedgeknight
    Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarf Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 24/24, played by Scott308
    Gilwennen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 8/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl, played by ChubbyPixie
    Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elven Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 10, HP: 6/8, Spells: 1/4 1st lvl, played by rredmond
    Perrin 'Pockets' Hilltopple: Male Hobbit Fighter/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 8, HP: 14/14, played by dmw71
    Therone: Female Elven Fighter 2: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 22/22, played by Urson
    Tinuwen: Female Elven Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: -1, HP: 7/7, Spells: 2/3 1st lvl, played SocraticLawyer
PC Magic:
  • None currently.
Player Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by wolfpack »

"We shall see to it that you have such power as you need to complete this quest," promises the wizard. "West and south of here, in the Mountains of Mirkwood, lies a stronghold of the ancient world. Therein may be found the means by which the greatest dragon of all, Ancalagon the Black was destroyed. You must make haste there. Then you will be able to withstand Smaug the terrible."
Elbenwin listens intently, when he hears the above he whispers under his breath.

the legacy of Earendil

When Gandolf is finished

My brother and I trace our linege back to the House of Hador from which Earendill's father Tuor hailed. we will not teary and shall retrieve this item, but how will we know when we find it?

After hearing the answer Elbenwin will look through the weapons looking for an exquisite long sword, holding it so the sun shines off the blade he says

Gimilzor (Silver Flame in Aduni)

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”