First patrol:

Spearmint
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

First patrol:

#1 Post by Spearmint »

July 9th.

Each man has been issued with his flak jacket, helmet and M-16 assault rifle plus six ammo packs unless allocated a different weapon. You day sack contains rations for a couple of days and a first aid kit, medics get a 'medic emergency kit' to use their skills with also. A Prck-1 radio transmitter arrives for the squad RTO man to carry. It is heavy and with your rifle whoever carries it will be encumbered at full weight. An M-79 grenade launcher is issued along with four bandoleers of frag or HE grenades and a belt of smoke or signal grenades. Ezekiel can carry three and the two remaining get split between others. (Ezekiel as a grenadier is issued this along with a pistol but minus his M-16). Finally a LMG is issued along with 6 disintegrating belts of ammo and pistol backup. The team beef themselves up by taking the remaining frag grenades from the crate or white smoke canisters. (Select any combination of four). To compound their weight, Rex and Marco both get to carry heavy claymore mine set-ups for your night time security.

During the patrols we can swap over duties so that Point man, 'pigman', 'RTO' duties can be spread around the skill sets.

Corporal Rayburn "Kon Borbanh is a small village of Montagnard natives. They assist a special forces group in long range patrols but among the Vietnamese populace, the traditional natives are not treated or accepted very much. The VC in particular hate them because of their stance against communism. The road to the village has been trapped several time over the last week and indeed our own mine clearing unit from Fox Company has been sniped at while on patrol. If the VC succeed in cutting road links then supporting the village comes via air and the gooks will take potshots with rockets at the choppers. Our Firebase has previously targeted rogue groups on the western jungle slopes of Cu Bre Mong peak. Our job is to root out and destroy the guerrilla groups mining the road and recon along the footpaths that traverse the ridge."

And so your first patrol begins on a sweltering afternoon in mid-July. Diego takes point is advised to bear in mind that the VC understand the average GI Joe doesn't like to get his feet wet and often booby trap the paddy field ditches.

Put yourself in a marching order, you are a squad of 9. Diego is 1st point, next point skilled man can bring up the rear, Corporal Rayburn is in the middle of the squad (5). Decide who wants to carry the LMG and radio and share some of the bandoleers of ammo out.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: First patrol:

#2 Post by Stirling »

Ezekiel Washington LeRoy

kisses his grenade launcher and christens it 'Little Richard'. Ditching the weight of the assault rifle for the launcher and sidearm, he straps on a couple of bandoleers of mixed grenades, frags and smokey's. (not sure of the weight he carries?). He will take his place in the marching order towards the rear, at number 8 position. He puts his sunglasses on and chews on some tobacco but walks from they base in studied silence (and fear no doubt), trusting in the Corporal Rayburn and Diego to spot any trouble.

During any 'downtime' between the first brief and the patrol start, Ezekiel will try to familiarise himself with the Firebase layout, noting trenches, medical points, watch towers and ammo points. Ever a hustler, he will try to get a poker game going somewhere in the bunker trenches wit the other squaddies.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Leitz »

During yesterday's briefing, Diego had gotten Corporal Rayburn to identify the best point man in the company. Diego made a bee-line for that man and pestered as much intel as he could on how to best run point: what to expect, how to move so Charlie wasn't prepared, sign that things were risky. Afterwards, clean up his gear and uniform, visit the med tent, and then get a good night's sleep.

Yeah, he was nervous excited. Up early, find the Intel tent and locate a Yard (1) to talk to. Beefing up his basic Viet and learning the culture of the people. What to look for and how to treat the gia lang (2). Diego will make a good impression on the Green Beanies in the compound; could be useful for a young man wanting to make his mark.

His load light and tight, Diego started mentally mapping out their path as the team assembled. He passed on what he could of the intel from the expert point man, and applied that to his chosen path.

The hot and humid beat down on them all. Yeah, he was nervous. Time to live as he had been trained.

OOC: As needed: Detect ambush [1d100] = 1 vs 50; Detect Booby Traps: [1d100] = 18 vs 94.

(1) Montagnard
(2) Village elder

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by The Bindoner »

Glyndwr claims the LMG.

This is the weapon for me. Plenty of bullets, more chance of hitting.

Taking two frag and two WP, adding them to his kit:

Put me where you want me, but second in line's where I think I'd be useful. Point see's something, I'll suppress it.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#5 Post by Scott308 »

Kelly "Waves" English

Grabbing the radio, English picks his spot in the order. I'll fall in after you, then. Bein' near the front'll make it easier to get to mines and booby traps when Eyes finds 'em.

He'll select two smoke grenades and two frags.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Cinaed

Cinaed checks his knives then selects a M16 and as much ammo as he can carry.

"Gonna need lots of ammo if I am gonna have any chance of hittin anything." he says with a grin.

Then he grabs a smoke grenade and 2 frags.

"Lets do this brothers!"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Bluehorse »

Rex

He takes all the goodies he can. Spending a good part of the night cleaning and double checking his gear, figuring out how to make it all carry as easily as possible, a blue haze of cigar smoke seeming almost ever-present around him.

*Grumble, grumble...* Helmet... Flack Jack... M-16 and 6 ammo... not near enough... 1911a... 5 Clips... hehehehehe... Love that... Claymore kit... *Chuckle chuckle* This will be fun... Frag... Frag... Frag... White Phos... *Giggles a little* Oh yeah... roast their asses.... heheheh.... Wish I had more though... *Angry grumble* Just two f***ing days of food? Horse ass sons of bitches... Oooo.... Bayonet... Yeah, buddy... That's what I'm talking about... Pocket knife... Thanks Gramps... Hatchet too... yup... Cigars... Lighter... *Mumbles a bit stuffing his pack.* Tool..... Paper.............. Med Kit......... Mess Kit.......... *Mumble mumble* Candy...

Everything in order, he picks up the last thing he picks up is his bible. The gruff and sometimes grumpy joker turns around and kneels beside his cot holding his bible in his hands as he prays quietly. She murmmers quietly for a few moments then kisses the bible before putting it under his pillow and beding down for a night of sleep that only the secure, innocent, or ignorant can ever experience past the age of 10. He isn't innocent... so that leaves two others for debate.

The following day, he is one of the first in the chow line and he piles it down, all he can get before getting in line with Squad 9. I'll go wherever. Don't matter to me. How about 3rd man? Anyone want that?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Cinaed

"I don't care where I go, useless with an M16 and am the backup medic if that matters any."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

July 10th

The 9 man patrol sets off after mid-day in single file behind Diego humping rifles and backpacks down the track from the eastern side of the Kontum airbase and through the barricaded entrance of Firebase Gethsemane. The guards at the watchtower wave you off. The fours choppers which had rested on the side of the airstrip are no longer there, having been called into action to some other remote corner of the Highland province.

Diego
, Glyndwr (pig), Kelly (RTO), Rex, Corporal Rayburn, James, Cinaed, Ezekiel and finally Marco acting as slack or rear point. The first kilometre is 'like a walk in the park' except for the constant buzzing of mosquitoes and the war weary look on the faces of the people you pass by. Are they friendly, are they VC? A few smaller children put eager hands out for chocolates and cigarettes but mostly you are left alone. The hamlet of Kon Molay Solam is a collection of wooden huts and stoned quarried apartments. Vegetable street vendors line the sidewalk and you see the occasional scantily clad girl leaning lethargically upon various doorposts. A bar serves a few elderly ex-patriots clinging to the last vestiges of colonialism as songbird lamentations of Edith Piaf blare out on a radio, another war, another time. Store signs, in French indicate the evangelised presence of Coca-Cola but all the rest, the sounds, sights and smells are distinctly Vietnamese, even down to the three legged dog which yaps loudly from a yard as you pass by.

You travel through the neighbouring hamlet goes unhindered and Diego quickens the pace still alert for traps. On the road's north side the ditches and brushwood look more of a flooded moonscape setting, the result of being the target practice area of the Company mortars. South is the slow flowing Dak Bla, dotted with barges and fishing vessels, yoked buffaloes till fertile fields and straw hatted farmers bend low over the intricacies of planting. Another kilometre further on Corporal Rayburn signals to Diego on point to turn left off the highway and a wide cart track, rutted from much use.

[img]
Kon Kopal,.jpg
Kon Kopal,.jpg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
[/img]

"Kon Kopal. A good time for a weapons check. We don't stop here, at the end of the cart track the 'boonies' start and we have a long trek ahead.". The village is made up of thatched stilted houses and a traditional 'Rong' or community longhouse set back from the track and surrounded by a large picket fence. You are not more than a few steps in the village when the a wolf whistles call out and small children throw stones. They are berated by villages elders and ushered away out of sight. One girl calls out, "Hey Joe, you want go 'boom boom' with me or maybe 'Charlie' make you go 'boom.' Another, sneering taunts the squad, "We count you all out but we not count you all back in."

Trying to ignore the comments and focus on the trek at hand a commotion stirs and a village elder runs pleadingly to you. "My grandson, my only boy. He is stuck out in the field and he won't come in. Please, go help him. You are number 1 for me, I not VC, come quick." the old man points to the rear of the village and some outlying paddy fields.

okay squad, so everyone take an action.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Leitz »

Diego's trigger finger rested along the right side of the reciever; a slight angle down and a pull is all it would take. His thumb moved against the safety lever, ready to allow free engagement. This was why he wanted to get in with the Yards; reports were that they were more loyal, more open to real help.

The old man's plea got a nod from Diego, who did his best to understand the situation (1). After a few Vietnamese sentences back and forth, Diego turned to Corporal Rayburn.

"Corp, I'm not really sure what the issue is, but I'm be willing to give it a try. The old folk seem to like us a little more than the whores and kids." He looked at the others and grinned. "It could be our first in country action, unless you pretty boys have already started cycling your bolt carrier groups."

(1) Viet [1d100] = 70 vs 55

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Stirling »

Ezekiel Washington LeRoy

"Damn this Corporal, what we gonna do?" He imagines very similar to Diego's thought about traps but at the same time his soft heart goes out to a boy neck deep in shut with a foot on a mine or a leg tensing a trip wire.

Are there cover spots that overlook the paddy field? Ezekiel figures if the boy 'won't come in' then he may have been there a while and another few moments waiting for rescue won't matter. "Permission to check out those huts there Sir?" he asks pointing at the most prominent ones which view the scene, thinking to root out any snipers before they get a fix on any rescue attempt.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Bluehorse »

Rex scowls and shakes his head. I'll take a chance with the whore before I wander into what sounds like a trap in a damn leech infested paddy for some brat. Let's just go.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by The Bindoner »

If you want to look for the sprog, fine. We may as well spring the trap, at least it's one we're ready for. We can look over the paddy, see what's what. If we're going in, we can set up a position covering it. Give me a loader and a good view, we'll be golden.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#14 Post by Scott308 »

Kelly "Waves" English

Happy to help the children of the village, the California surfer makes the mistake of giving some chocolate to one of the kids, only to discover the chocolate (and his pack of gum) doesn't go very far- especially when the rest of the squad is smart enough to ignore the pleading hands. We're here to help out, right? Hearts and minds? This is a good way to make a good impression on these people, and who knows- maybe the kid is in real trouble. The least we can do is take a look and try to help.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Cinaed

Cinaed will move to cover Zek as he checks out the huts. "Checking the huts first seems a smart move."

Any indication of Viet Con?

Detect Guerrillas (40%) [1d100] = 75

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Antman9 »

James "Ferdinand" Morris: Sniper/Medic (HP: 47)
Action/Status: Stranger in a Strange Land

James eyes the villagers carefully, feeling extremely out of place. I'm sure they feel the same, or worse than I do he tells himself. He ignores that cat calls and angry comments. Simply tunes them out, more concerned about keeping all of his parts intact. Here to do a job, that's all.

The kid sitch feel a bit queer to James. Certainly the kid is smart enough to come home when he's damn good and ready. But this isn't Ohio or Texas now is it? No land mines or booby traps or Bouncing Betty's back home. James considers the options briefly, then decides he's here, and if it is a trap, might as well go in with assumptions and prepared. "Agreed Glyndwr. Best to play this safe. I'll run cover while Hut Teams do their sweep."

James checks his M16, and puts on his game face. "When you're ready Hut Teams. I've got your back," James announces
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by The Bindoner »

Good man James. Two pairs of eyes'll do. I'll watch the fields while you cover the shacks.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Spearmint »

Kon Kopal village.

Corporal Rayburn, "Well it sounds like we've got a plan of action. Showing some guts and guile." the officer nods his approval and signals for the guys to split into respective roles.

Ezekiel, Rex and Cinead check out the huts overlooking the paddy field. Pistol in hand, Ezekiel leans by a doorframe and then after a nod kicks in the door and points is weapon at any potential threats. The other pair follow him in. The first hut is used by two old ladies who are making some food. They protest loudly at your intrusion and wave their hands furiously before trying to run out of the room. You give the room a quick search, kicking away woven rugs and lifting mattresses. Nothing out of the ordinary is found. In the second hut another elderly lady sits alone, smoking some local tobacco and weaving a reed bowl. "Go away soldiers, nothing to see here." she says indignantly but a sharp eyed Cinead does spot something of interest after opening a side cupboard. It has some framed sepia portraits of a uniformed youth standing to attention in an austere pose. Rex kicks a bedroom door, it seems vacant but your glance spots some typical plimsoll shoes, larger than the woman might wear by one side of the mattress.

Glyndwr and James set up a nest of their own, at a point where the picket fence turns slightly on the SE side of the village. Some barrels provide a point to rest their LMG and the spot gives a wide arc of fire both over the fields and along the side of the huts.

Kelly and Marco find themselves shepherding the gathering of villagers who want to express views on the commotion and intrusion."Who he calling whore? I no whore! Soldier wife she whore!", "Leave boy in field, he thief, who cares. Come with me, you nice boy, very generous to children I make you happy time." "You soldiers cause trouble for us, go away, VC go away, everyone go away." Harassed and surrounded the pair have to maintain a control and not let folk get too close or personal. You think, could one reach and pull a frag pin, maybe have an unseen weapon?

Corporal Rayburn, Diego and the boy's elder go to survey the field. Looking out from the picket fence you can see the following. You will need to walk along a ditch to get within hailing distance of the boy.

The rear paddy field is about two hundred metres square with a few muddy ditches separating individual allotments. In the middle of the field rests a large rock, a few patches of vegetation grow around the allotments perimeters. Over the far side two old huts stand, weathered and battered, tottering on rickety wooden stilts. The water varies in depth from ankle deep to above knee level. In the deepest pools orange shapes dart about, wriggling on the surface catching mosquitoes and gnats. It seems that some of the paddies are a good breeding ground for carp, an extra source of revenue for the village. The boy, probably around 8 years old, stands a few feet away from the far ditch beyond the rock.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Stirling »

Ezekiel Washington LeRoy

Safety off, the soldier busts the rooms, "Just like downtown Tuscaloosa. If those Po-lice could see me now!" kicking the door down and shouting at the two old ladies (more in fear than in authority), "Freeze you God%^& Mo%%^&&". okay, he feels like he goes over the top but he doesn't actually know what to expect, At least his 'pops' during time with the Tuskagee airmen got to fire at uniformed enemy.

He helps clear the rooms and looks under the carpets, checking for trap doors and likely spots a VC sniper might use to ambush the squad. With the second room he provides the cover for the other pair and whistles at the photo. "Is that your gook son? Are you a gook mother? He is nervous now, thinking that the old lady probably is not the main threat but maybe the son or some sympathisers with the VC are nearby.

Return to “Tour of Duty (Revised Recon RPG)”