IC

thirdkingdom
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

IC

#1 Post by thirdkingdom »

Thirdmonth, Firstday, Fifthyear of the Sixteenth Cycle

With winter over and the bitter cold receding to the north the town of Junction comes alive once more. No longer choked with bobbing chunks of ice and slush, work continues to repair the great stone bridge spanning the Sarn and promising to open up the west once more to the civilizing forces of Man. The streets of Junction are filled with explorers and tradesfolk, mercenaries and merchants, all drawn to the frontier town at the call of the Scarlet Prince and his promise of untold wealth for those willing to brave the uncivilized wilds.

Over dinner the previous night the party's factor, a tall, stout woman named Madam Fleur had spread out the wrinkled, faded map on the table and succinctly recounts what they know.

“This map dates back to the end of the Fifteenth Cycle of Law, and has potentially changed. You may find that the landscape – or the inhabitants found there – are not what is indicated.”
“Here,” she says, pointing to the road leading to the town of Rocky Mount, “a pride of manticores is said to lurk, devouring all who attempt to pass. Their lair is said to be in these mountains here, overlooking the forest below. I have spoken to a merchant who claimed they are denning halfway up an almost sheer cliff, with a difficult approach.”

“A man has made contact with me, wild-eyed and bushy-bearded, claiming to know the location of a lost gold mine that he is willing to sell for the sum of five hundred gold alcedes. Ordinarily I would discount such tales as the raving of a lunatic or the sugary words of a con man, but I have sources who confirm that there was at one point an attempt to mine a lucrative vein somewhere about here.” She points to a section of the map labeled “70.44”.

“Explorers tell tales of Pesh, a fabled city far to the west. However, in order to get there one would have to either pass through Rocky Peak or take a longer and more circuitous route south, and then west.”

“There are also tales that the land west of Junction and south of Rocky Peak are exceptionally fertile. They tell me the Prince has his eye on expanding this way, at some point, as his domain is somewhat lacking in rich soil.”

“The Rufous Baron, ruler of Junction, has offered a reward of 1,000 gold alcedes for anyone able to clear the land directly opposite the bridge of all threats, so that he may garrison a squad of troops there and begin construction of a watchtower.” Her finger traces a ring around hexes 73.46 and 73.47.

“There’s a community somewhere to the north of Alice,” says Madam Fleur, “called Kimrid. It’s a largely unremarkable village, heavily fortified against the incursions of Chaos, and valuable only because it is contains a monastery that trains holy warriors, known as dervishes, that are well-regarded in the Principality as bodyguards and assassins. We haven’t had any contact with Kimrid since the end of the previous Cycle of Law. The Prince is willing to pay 2,000 alcedes if the road north to this monastery is cleared and contact re-established, should it still exist.”

“The Principality in general, and Junction in particular, relies on the mining camps to the north,” her fingers trace the Sarn north to where the woods thin out and give way to hills. “Ore, especially iron, is in short supply, not just in the Principality, but the Variagated Kingdoms in general. There are a number of mining camps spread throughout these hills, run by private mercantile concerns. The largest company, the Red Sky Mining Company, is offering a bounty on beastmen heads. Their main office is here, but they’ve established a semi-permanent camp here,” she indicates hex 72.43. “That’s about as far north as the riverboats can go before bottoming out. Goblin heads are five alcedes, orcs ten, hobgoblins twenty-five, and ogres one hundred.”

Madam Fleur takes a sip of wine and warns the adventurers that they surely will not be the only brave souls called to the frontier. “There are two other parties that I am aware of currently in Junction, and more will certainly follow with the warmer weather. I have told you what I know and leave the final decision to those more experienced in such matters. I will be here, looking after your concerns. You can reach me via the magic mirror every seven days”. With that she sits back, cradling her wineglass in both hands, and lets the adventurers have time to decide their next course of action.
Last edited by thirdkingdom on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: IC

#2 Post by Gerrin »

Elerik Van Der Haas

The cleric strokes his chin and leans back in his chair.

"Plenty of choices. I think clearing the land on the opposite side of the bridge.
It's close and should be easier since it's so close to town and easy to get reinforcements if needed."

He glances around the table and waits for his companions to give their opinions.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by sulldawga »

Telemachus the Mage

"It does seem like an easy task, or at least easy to get to. Still, I'd like to know more about the threats that are preventing the Baron's troops from clearing the area themselves."

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Gerrin »

Elerik Van Der Haas

"It seems a visit to the Baron may be on order."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by thirdkingdom »

Gerrin wrote:Elerik Van Der Haas

"It seems a visit to the Baron may be on order."

Madam Fleur

"It's doubtful you'll be able to arrange a meeting with the Baron," she says, frowning, "but I can certainly get you in to see Seneschal Beorthmac, who handles the day to day running of the Barony."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by sulldawga »

thirdkingdom wrote:Madam Fleur

"It's doubtful you'll be able to arrange a meeting with the Baron," she says, frowning, "but I can certainly get you in to see Seneschal Beorthmac, who handles the day to day running of the Barony."
Telemachus

"I think that will do. We can confirm both the danger and the reward."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:Madam Fleur

Telemachus

"I think that will do. We can confirm both the danger and the reward."
Madam Fleur

"Very well. It will likely be this afternoon before I'm able to get you an appointment. Is there anything you all need from me at the moment, or should I get to work?"
Feel free to ask Fleur any more questions. Y'all can also spend some time exploring Junction, if desired.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldus' face sinks at the mention of clearing land—that sounds an awful lot like manual labor—but perks up again at the prospect of meeting with a Baron's seneschal. An opportunity to scope out the such a man's office is always worthwhile.

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by Gerrin »

Elerik Van Der Haas

"Madam Fleur, do you know much about the merchanting operations in the area? The parties involved and what kind of cargo is most commonly moved and to which markets?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by thirdkingdom »

Gerrin wrote:Elerik Van Der Haas

"Madam Fleur, do you know much about the merchanting operations in the area? The parties involved and what kind of cargo is most commonly moved and to which markets?
Madam Fleur

"Of course! A fair amount of trade flows through Junction, or, at least, it will, once the trade routes are open again. The Sarn provides the easiest route for ore mined in the northern hills, and we've got timber, meat, and furs in abundance. All of these are sent eastwards, into the heart of civilization. From there we get all sorts of finished goods, pottery and glasswares, tools and weapons and armor. Junction is growing, and we need these things in quantity. Or, rather, we should, if the trade lanes open back up."

She pulls up the map and traces the river south. "The Sarn flows south towards the Silver Sea, and last Cycle Junction was a crossroads for this trade; goods came west from Rhea's Ford and beyond, were loaded onto boats, and shipped south to the city of Zizdul at the coast. But Zizdul has falled to Beastmen now, and the river travel is choked by monsters. One of the parties I mentioned earlier has already headed south, but it will likely be a year or more before that route is open. This road here," she points to the one leading west, towards Rocky Peak, "is one that could be exploited more quickly. We get ore -- iron, gold, copper -- and more from Rocky Peak. It is why the Baron is concentrating on rebuilding the bridge over the Sarn and clearing the land on the other side; he has judged it the quickest return on his investment."

She waves to the north of the map. "The Red Sky Mining Company is the largest mining concern to the north. There are others -- the Crimson Mercantile Exchange has a foothold there as well -- but the Red Sky is the big one. They're the ones offering the bounty on Beastmen heads. There are other villages to the north that we have traded with in years past, but who knows if they even made it through the last Cycle. If they did there's riches to be made that way, no doubt. There's some metals and wood up there that are only found in the north, and the artisans in Rhea's Ford would pay dearly for."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by shaidar »

Newton

The scout seems to take in all the options presented and ponder them over his ale.

Always a man of few words, he finally speaks...

"I agree that clearing the ground across the bridge is a good start. If we can get in the baron's good books, maybe we can get a foothold investment in the Rocky Peak mines"

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by thirdkingdom »

Madam Fleur

The factor frowns slightly at the question of laborers. "They are certainly available -- if we can't get what you need here Rhea's Ford is a few days away, and they've got plenty of workers there -- but I would advise against hiring anyone until you have a firm idea of what you want to do, and are able to promise their safety*. Depending on the numbers you're looking for -- and how specialized they are -- it can take anywhere from a week to a couple of months to round up the manpower."

Later that day Madam Fleur contacts the adventurers. "Seneschal Beorthmac can see you tomorrow afternoon."
*in other words, a hex will need to be cleared of all potential threats and routinely patrolled before you can bring workers in.**
**You could certainly bring them in sooner, but having a crop of masons eaten by gribblies tends to put the damper on hiring new workers.
1-3 the seneschal is available today, 4-5 tomorrow, 6 the following day:: 1d6 5
Let me know if there is anything specific you would like to spend the rest of the day doing.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by sulldawga »

Telemachus takes his leave of the Factor and seeks out a fighting man to hire as his personal bodyguard.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:Telemachus takes his leave of the Factor and seeks out a fighting man to hire as his personal bodyguard.
Thirdmonth, Firstday
Junction

After leaving the factor Telemachus walks the streets of Junction, seaching for a warrior to act as his right hand. Junction is a small town, but its obviously growing. A few of the larger thoroughfares are paved in wood planks, the buildings lining them of stone and brick, with neat slate roofs. Most of the side streets are dirt, churned to mud with the spring thaw, and while the majority of the rest of the buildings seem well-made, there are more than a few that look to have been built hastily. The mage sees a handful of canvas and hide tents that have sprung up on the outskirts.

He makes a tour of the taverns, ale-houses, and the single inn (the River's Edge), spreading a couple of coins and putting the words out that he is looking for an employee.
It takes a minimum of one day to find a retainer. I'm going to say that between the rest of the 1stday and the beginning of the 2ndday, prior to the meeting with the seneschal, that's a full day.
Thirdmonth, Secondday
Junction

Telemachus rises early and continues his search. Just prior to the meeting with the Seneschal he is approached by a younger woman. "I heard you're looking for someone to guard your back," she says, "I don't have any experience, but have held a sword once or twice. I'm helping out my father, in the fields, and I want more than anything to get out of there and have some real adventures!" She's tall, and looks to be strong.
There's a 90% chance of finding a retainer in a Class 4 market after a day of searching: http://orokos.com/roll/731268: 1d100 5 Yup.Level of retainer, followed by class:: 2#1d100 32 22. Class doesn't matter, because the result is a 0-level human. However, the class indicates the retainer will level up to a fighter after 100 XP.
I can retcon activities for the Firstday if anyone else wants to do anything.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldus lingers to talk with the factor after the others have left. He is interested in investing in a front—pardon me, a legitimate business—such as a haberdashery, tailor or seamstress' shop, or a cloth market. "It could be putting money into an existing concern, or setting up a cozy little shop of my own—and then hiring some solid soul to actually keep it operating while I'm traipsing across the landscape, flinging arrows at the local beasts."

Afterwards, he either joins Telemachus or goes out on his own, looking to hire a retainer. He is looking for a body man—someone to mostly hold a shield and protect him while he hangs back and fires arrows.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by thirdkingdom »

Pulpatoon wrote:Aldus lingers to talk with the factor after the others have left. He is interested in investing in a front—pardon me, a legitimate business—such as a haberdashery, tailor or seamstress' shop, or a cloth market. "It could be putting money into an existing concern, or setting up a cozy little shop of my own—and then hiring some solid soul to actually keep it operating while I'm traipsing across the landscape, flinging arrows at the local beasts."

Afterwards, he either joins Telemachus or goes out on his own, looking to hire a retainer. He is looking for a body man—someone to mostly hold a shield and protect him while he hangs back and fires arrows.
Madam Fleur

The factor looks sternly at Aldus. "Just so we're clear, I don't want to hear anything, or know anything, about anything that could potentially be construed as illegal. I find that the idea of torture and prison disagrees with my constitution. That being said, I can certainly look around to see if there are any businesses or buildings for sale. Give me a week to put something together.

Firstmonth, Secondday
Junction

Aldus searches for a body man but comes up empty handed after a day of inquries.
Same deal as with Telemachus, the rest of 1st day and the beginning of 2nd day spent searching for a retainer. However, because Junction is not
a large market, the chance of finding a retainer has been reduced to 30%: 30% chance to find a retainer within a day:: 3#1d100 96 82 91

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by sulldawga »

thirdkingdom wrote:Telemachus rises early and continues his search. Just prior to the meeting with the Seneschal he is approached by a younger woman. "I heard you're looking for someone to guard your back," she says, "I don't have any experience, but have held a sword once or twice. I'm helping out my father, in the fields, and I want more than anything to get out of there and have some real adventures!" She's tall, and looks to be strong.
Telemachus

"Sorry, kid, I need someone with more experience if we're going up against beastmen and mythical monsters. I'll do this, though. I need someone to handle camp duties for me. Set up my tent, cook my meals, brush down my horses. I'm not taking you down any dark holes with me but, if we get attacked in the wilds, you'll need to not only hold a sword but swing it. I'll pay 1 gold a week. You manage that for a while, we'll talk about bigger things. What do you think?"
I'd like to bring her on as a hireling for now, with the possibility of converting to hench in the future. Does that work?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:
thirdkingdom wrote:Telemachus rises early and continues his search. Just prior to the meeting with the Seneschal he is approached by a younger woman. "I heard you're looking for someone to guard your back," she says, "I don't have any experience, but have held a sword once or twice. I'm helping out my father, in the fields, and I want more than anything to get out of there and have some real adventures!" She's tall, and looks to be strong.
Telemachus

"Sorry, kid, I need someone with more experience if we're going up against beastmen and mythical monsters. I'll do this, though. I need someone to handle camp duties for me. Set up my tent, cook my meals, brush down my horses. I'm not taking you down any dark holes with me but, if we get attacked in the wilds, you'll need to not only hold a sword but swing it. I'll pay 1 gold a week. You manage that for a while, we'll talk about bigger things. What do you think?"
I'd like to bring her on as a hireling for now, with the possibility of converting to hench in the future. Does that work?
The lass seems hesitant. "That's pretty much what I'm doing now on the farm, except with an increased risk of getting killed." She bites her lip. "I think I'll pass."
http://orokos.com/roll/731303: 4#2d6+1 8 6 5 5 Even with that +1 to Charisma the rolls were pretty bad!

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by sulldawga »

Telemachus

Telemachus wishes her well and sends her on her way.

"Kids these days. They don't want an internship to learn a trade, they expect a corner office right off the bat!"

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Gerrin »

Elerik Van Der Haas

Elerik will join the group and try to find a fighter type for a bodyguard

Return to “A Brave New World (OSE)”