Mission to Vietnam.

Spearmint
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Mission to Vietnam.

#61 Post by Antman9 »

James "Ferdinand" Morris: Sniper/Medic (HP: 47)
Action/Status: Flails about the Paddy Spraying Bullets

Yes Sir!” James mutters, knowing full well he can’t hit the broad side of a barn with his M-16, even if he was standing right in front of it…

James makes a quick Weapon Check
Weapon Check vs AL (67): [1d100] = 13

Then skitters about the paddy, slipping and sliding, dodging left, then slipping right, and fires off a three round burst in flight for the first ditch, his shots flying high and wide of any supposed enemy.
M-16 semi-auto vs BE (15): [1d100] = 39, [1d100] = 56, [1d100] = 36

D@#n M-16!” James grumbles as he slides into the first ditch. He pokes his head up and darts for the second ditch attempting to keep his feet and stay low while he fires at the rats now skedaddling for their lives…

M-16 semi-auto vs BE (5): [1d100] = 84, [1d100] = 1, [1d100] = 81
M-16 Damage (semi-auto): [4d10+5] = 26+5 = 31, [4d10+5] = 26+5 = 31, [4d10+5] = 20+5 = 25

Whoa! Nailed one!!! That was D@#n near a gnat’s hair short of a miracle! Take that you Rats!!!” James calls out. “Not sure where those other two bullets went. Sure hope they’re not in anyone’s arse! Those screcrows certainly got nothing to worry about from this fella's gun.” James shakes his head and heads back to accept Lieutenant's disappointment.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Spearmint »

Corporal Terence 'Tex' Rayburn assesses the squad newbies and puts them through some target practice. He comments wryly as they perform in the paddy field.

"Leroy, are you for real, this ain't no game of cowboys and Indians.Diego, above average. Glyndwr, you might be dead before the gooks get close enough for the shotgun. Cinaed, did you even open your eyes? Rex, shoot where they are going to not running from! Kelly, you badass mean machine. Looks like you and doughboy Marco might be the real deal. James, I trust you can fix us up better then you can put them down?

Overall though he is impressed with the potential of the group and determined to see what you are like under a little pressure opens a box of grenades at his feet.

"Behind that shrine two hundred feet yonder is a gook nest spilling out LMG rounds to take you head from shoulders. We are going to blast it away hardcore. Everyone take a couple of frags and pitch as you run along the ditch and then wriggle your newbie fat maggot asses across the paddies to the bamboo copse and under cover pitch again." He then proceeds to empty his magazine of M-16 rounds into the ditch by your feet, encouraging you to run along under fire. Marco Cherrulo goes first and flips a frag in slo-mo that's lands in the outfield. His second pitch from the bamboo copse lands on target.

Marco BE with grenades 77%: Move/Cover 17%, Cover/Cover 37% [1d100] = 100 [1d100] = 17

okay guys, each throw an agility based effectiveness for your grenade throwing, one with a -60 penalty for 'moving to cover and enemy under cover' and second throw for when you are 'both under cover' also at -40. then we will do a little patrol.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Leitz »

Diego's eyes went wide. If he was "above average" with the M-16, then the bar must be pretty low. Kelly and Marco seemed to be the best at it, by far.

"Okay, guys, we got this!" Diego yelled to the others. He grabbed a pair of grenades, cleared his head, and sprinted off. The first one missed by a little. When Diego slammed prone a rock dug into his already bruised ribs. The second toss missed by more than the first.

OOC: My math on the rolls was off. The first was a roll of 15 vs a modified 5. The second was a roll of 32 vs a modified 7.
Moving grenade [1d100 - 60] = 15-60 = -45 vs 5; under cover grenade [1d100 - 40] = 32-40 = -8 vs 7.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Rex »

Cinaed

"Here I go." Cinaed grabs a couple of grenades and starts off at a run.

Grenade M/C 15 [1d100] = 6 C/C 35 [1d100] = 23

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Stirling »

Ezekiel Washington LeRoy, grabs a frag and runs across the ditch, dodging the bullets and the dead rats. He unpins the grenade and throws it at the shrine but his aim is off and the grenade lands wide. Crawling across the rice field in the murky water, he creeps to the bamboo copse, muttering curses, (I think he hates the corporal almost as much as he might hate the gooks), and throws again. the second grenade lands closer but not enough to cause serious damage to any nest of machine gunners he expects.

Ezekiel grenade throw vs 63. M2C/Cover, both in cover [1d100] = 32 [1d100] = 49

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by Antman9 »

Action/Status: Floppin' in the Paddy!

"Shit! Sir yes Sir!!!" James yells as the Corporal begins spraying the ground with hot lead. He grabs two frags and falls in line with the rest of the crew. "He damn near blew my toes off. Shit!"

Running through the ditch, trying not to fall on his ass, James lobs his first grenade as best he can. "Damn, that was close!" he calls out then dives into the sludge-filled soaking paddy and slug crawls along, hoping like hell he doesn't lose the slippy AF grenade number 2. Upon reaching the Bamboo copse he pulls pin, and lobs number two. He frowns as it goes wide then wiggles his way out of the paddy to join the rest of the crew. "Best I got today I'm fraid'" he mumbles upon his return. "Better with the long gun sir."

Grenade Throw - Move/Cover BE 15 (94'): [1d100] = 18
Grenade Throw - Cover/Cover BE 35 (94'): [1d100] = 91

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Bluehorse »

Rex Dupre

YEOW! He jump rattling a string of curses that was born of growing up among ex military, mechanics, and relatives with seedy backgrounds. He pulls the pin with his teeth and give it a throw! Hot Potatoes!

-60 MtC:
Throw Grenade v 71 [1d100] = 69

-40 UC:
Throw Grenade v 71 [1d100] = 24

Shit fire! Take that Charlie! Hey! Hey!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#68 Post by Scott308 »

Kelly "Waves" English

Whoa, dude! The lanky Californian starts pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down to avoid getting shot. Running toward the paddy, Waves pulls the pin on his first grenade. Leaping in the air, he throws the grenade, hitting the target perfectly- like Maury Wills going deep in the hole and nailing a runner at first. A slight grin on his face gets erased as he dives headfirst into the murky water. Crawling as quickly as he can, he gets to cover and launches the other grenade. Unfortunately, with water dripping in his eyes, his second toss is high and lands several yards away.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by The Bindoner »

Glyndwrconfidently grabs two grenades and sets off along the ditch, keeping low. His first throw is almost un-aimed though, thrown in the general direction of the shrine. The paddy slows him, and somewhat calms him, so his second throw is more considered. Still not close enough though.

At least we'd have confused them about our target,eh? They might not've realised we'd seen them.

Grenade 1 (vs target of 27) [1d100] = 70

Grenade 2 (vs target of 47) [1d100] = 67

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Spearmint »

Corporal Terence 'Tex' Rayburn

Drills the new squad into a routine and fires clip after clip of ammo into the ditches as they run and toss hand grenades at the shrine target at the end of the paddy field.
Glyndwr comes up short twice, Kelly bang on target with the first attempt, close by with the second, Rex proves the opposite and his measured throw from the bamboo copse clears out the imaginary gooks. James, get close, which in real life would prove good enough first throw but wide of the mark second, probably closer to friendlies! Ezekiel offers that a launcher is best for him, excusing himself for wind power and angles of descent. Cinaed, damn blew them to hell and back!, Diego, (macro is wrong, grenade throwing vs agility score and that is the adjusted number not the d100). The first (15) would be in the killing zone and a good throw under pressure. Marco, what the fuck, did that first throw land at my feet? Second blows the enemy up, remember the gooks are THAT way!

The corporal has a mixture of satisfaction and alarm! The routines continue until you are all wet and tired, arms aching from tossing and ears aching from the explosive noise, finally you stumble back into camp for some hot showers, chow and a de-brief.

"Fox Company. We are detailed with security and RECON assignments. As you can see from the wider Kontum map, Firebase Gethsemane is located on the NE side of the Kontum airstrip." Corporal Rayburn indicates features on the map (hope you can access the download version). he continues his introduction, "The built up conurbation of Kontum is made up of small suburbs of slums and a larger section of villas and stone houses for the wealthier merchants and the ex-patriots. A main highway, the Q14 runs NW from the city and directly SW we have the larger city of Pleiku and its surroundings. From here though we have dominion over the northern highlands and eastern countryside. The Dak Bla river flows from the NE and is a major route of river traffic. Not far from here is a sister Firebase Nazareth which we support. together we patrol the surroundings which are not considered friendly! Most of the villagers are but the Vietcong commies have a strong guerrilla support in this area and our job is to root them out and destroy their operations. Further to the north beyond the immediate hills are regiments of NVA regulars. They probe our weaknesses continually and we must be strong and vigilant against them. Any questions?"

okay everyone ask a question if you like and after that we shall go on a night patrol!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rex »

Cinaed

"Can I have a Tommy Gun now?"

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by Antman9 »

Action/Status: Headin' into the Thick of It!

"No sir. Sounds like we're headed into the thick of things. Long as I got my Long Rifle and a scope I'm good to go."

Scott308

#74 Post by Scott308 »

Kelly "Waves" English

What are the rules of engagement, sir? How can we tell if they are civilians or guerillas? What is our objective, sir?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Bluehorse »

Scott308 wrote:Kelly "Waves" English

What are the rules of engagement, sir? How can we tell if they are civilians or guerillas? What is our objective, sir?
Rex
Looks at him like he is cross eyed. if it ain't American.
Shoot it and blow it up. You're not a softy are you doc?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Stirling »

Ezekiel Washington LeRoy

"How big is Fox Company Sir and do we get to fly in the choppers. I can use a .50 caliber pretty good but those guys on the runway looked pretty beat up."

Ezekiel is more than happy to keep the enemy at distance and patrolling jungles at night is not his thing.

Scott308

#77 Post by Scott308 »

Kelly "Waves" English
Bluehorse wrote:

Rex
Looks at him like he is cross eyed. if it ain't American.
Shoot it and blow it up. You're not a softy are you doc?
I'm not "soft," dude. We're supposed to be helping the natives. Last I checked, the Vietnamese are not actually American, so your plan pretty much sucks, bro.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Bluehorse »

I'm not "soft," dude. We're supposed to be helping the natives. Last I checked, the Vietnamese are not actually American, so your plan pretty much sucks, bro.
Grumbles a little but for once shuts the hell up.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Leitz »

Diego winked at Rex. "I usually take point. If they are shooting at me, you have my express permission to shoot them down where they stand. Don't matter what color they are."

He turned back to Corporal Rayburn."If we're patrolling at night, between here and Nazareth, how do we make sure they don't mistake us for bad guys?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Bluehorse »

Leitz wrote:Diego winked at Rex. "I usually take point. If they are shooting at me, you have my express permission to shoot them down where they stand. Don't matter what color they are."
He grins and gives the thumbs up.

Return to “Tour of Duty (Revised Recon RPG)”