Barrack Room (OOC discusions).

Spearmint
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrack Room (OOC discusions).

#121 Post by Leitz »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:11 pm well I think I am all caught up though I am not entirely sure what to post as Marco currently.
No worries. Diego has point, at least until the next DM post. Spearmint's posts tend to be fairly descriptive, and you'll get a good sense of what needs doing. If all else fails, ask.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Leitz »

Well, I'm not sure if I got close enough for any XP, but here's what I did.

In the lower right corner is a scale, like 1:50,000. On that scale, each square on the map is about 1 kilometer per side.

In post 146, it was mentioned that the cave complex was at AR818954. To use this:
- Drop the AR, and break the six numbers into two sets of three. 818 and 954.
- Turn each set of three numbers into a singe digit float. Thus 81.8 and 95.4.
- Looking at the top, and bottom of the map areas are numbers ranging from 76, past 99, to 03. These are the longitude. Note that the 80 line is a little bit darker.
- Looking at the sides, the numbers range from 78 to 05. These are the latitude.
- Start from the left of the map, and find the left-right 95 line.
- Move left, to the 81 line. The first number is 81.8, so go to the 81, and then 80% (8/10) of the way to the 82 line.
- From the 95 line, go 40% (4/10) up to the 96 line. That's where the artillary was called in on. The underground complex.

In the same post we moved 4 kilometers ("klicks") North West. This is mostly rough estimates as the jungle and hills make walking in a straight line impossible.
- Use a note card or piece of paper and measure 4 kilometers on the scale.
- From 81.8, 95.4, arc the 4 klick measurement NW.
- The team is roughly in there, somewhere.

All that said, the team has been in country less than a day, and are walking around at night. So the reality is that they could be exactly there, or "somewhere in Vietnam".

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#124 Post by Scott308 »

We've crossed over into Cambodia.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Spearmint »

Ouch ... Loving it already. Ezekiel, I won't punish you further though by making you repeat the climb test.

Were you carrying a mortar shell though?

Only joking, they are fused detonated unless some cheap Chinese variety ...
Last edited by Spearmint on Wed May 12, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#127 Post by GreyWolfVT »

oh god i hope he wasn't.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by The Bindoner »

The GM pointed out to me that I forgot the saving throws. Rather than edit Glyndwr's post I'm keeping the text as is and just not suffering the escalating damage.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Spearmint »

I thought it would be good at this point to remind folk of some house rules for healing. Not that I am expecting you to get damaged ...

So any character can take First Aid as a non-combat skill choice from the skills list. If you have a 1st Aid kit you can treat one wound per kit for 1d4hp of healing. Medic MOS get this as a free skill and can add the 1d4 to bonus to the wound they treat per kit. If they pass their Medic skill check, they restore 5hp per rank of skill. (Up to max of 5 ranks). They can apply their skill to each bullet wound received subject to a successful check on each.

Using Ezekiel as an example. He was stung by a scorpion for -14hp damage. He treated himself with his own 1st Aid kit for +3hp.
Bouncing off the rocks he received -7hp and received +3hp back from Cinead's 1st Aid kit. As the team medic failed his medic check, no further rank skill healing is given. So Ezekiel remains at -15hp. Please remember to remove those kits from your inventory.

Use of flak jackets. I am testing this house rule. It is effective against combat wounds only (bullets, bombs, knives). The jacket may soak up 1hp of damage per HD of damage received, up to a max of 12hp when the jacket becomes useless. So for example get hit by a burst of fire and take three bullet wounds of 3d10 each. Your jacket would reflect 9hp of the damage total. Leaving you, if still standing with a thin 1hp shield of on your torso.

Track this on your character sheet AC tab.

Please remember to adjust hp totals in your sheets (though I do keep a separate note) as your ho is directly related to strength which impacts your personal movement rate and how much you can carry. Ezekiel with his -15hp, loses 30lbs of max encumbrance.

That mortar which bounced from your pack might just start to feel too heavy to carry.

Hope that clarifies things.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Rex »

I removed the small first aid kit. Is a medium first aid kit worth multiple healings?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Spearmint »

I read your post about the small and large one and actually am trying to locate in the book the specifics in that. A standard (small 1st Aid) is single use. I would assume a medium kit is worth more but not sure how much more. (I will edit this post when I find out). So assume medium gives x4 uses for now.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Rex »

Sounds good, I will add to my inventory for now.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Spearmint »

Ok, so looking through you have listed:

Medic Kit, large as an inventory item. The only link I can find is from page 50 of the book. Item in the 'Merc supply catalogue' listed as Unit Medical Bag (8lbs weight, items listed). So that would be your standard equipped item as part of the Medic MOS skill and enables you to perform those duties on each wound. So that is like a permanently equipped item that doesn't diminish, whereas '1st Aid Kit' is a single use item (weight 1lb).

I am fine with you having 4 X 1st Aid kits for one off usage to compliment the standard Medic kit. Does that work?

Incidentally, James (Antman9's character currently npc'd) is the most skilled Medic with 82% medic skill. I will assume he has a similar Unit Med kit +4 x 1st Aid.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Rex »

I just realized its a large medic kit not medium. Sorry, brain fart. I noted its 4 uses anyways. Not sure if there even is a medium. That is fine with me.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Stirling »

I have adjusted Ezekiel's hp, encumbrance limit and movement rate in his sheet to account for the injuries.

If he can't carry the weight, in the scramble back up he might even jettison the heavy mortar round or some less used stuff.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Bluehorse »

So do we want to go with the old rattan tat tat or wait to see them get on the bridge? They are armed. But they might just be hunting food. Can we be sure? More than willing to let Rex be the badguy here if we want an excuse for another firefight.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Spearmint »

Please discuss and strategize. Ideally I don't want to just funnel folk with decisions from Corporal Rayburn. Options include watch them, follow them, talk to them, kill them, kill them silently, take prisoner, ignore them.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Leitz »

So, a question on language. Diego has a 55, which should be in CEFR B1 or B2, I would guess. Does he need to roll to understand basic conversation? His roll was a 78. Whatever he understands from them, he's whisper to the team.
Vietnamese (55) [1d100]=78

The other question is, in that Diego is both Point and Intel MOS, do these two look like farmers or more like scouts?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Leitz »

There are two potential players in the recruitment thread. Anyone else want to go encourage them? Someone could take James Morris as a PC to get in the game, and then we can re-org into new teams when ready.

Also, we might want to figure out what service the PCs are in. Not sure how many mixed Army/Marine units there were. The army has a wider MOS range, if it matters.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Stirling »

As far as strategizing. I found climbing up the falls a test. I would think climbing down to sneak in them equally hard if you want to go for a silent kill.

Maybe those overlooking the rope bridge have an easier climb down?

Shoot them, kills them but alerts others.
Let them pass, hoping they are civilians (what could they be hunting in the forest here? Deer, boar, tigers?)
Take them prisoner and back to base for questioning at the airport intelligence unit?

Ezekiel is a follower not a leader so he will go with whatever flow happens.

Return to “Tour of Duty (Revised Recon RPG)”