Expedition: Blackjack/Emmisaries to the Orcs - 01 Oct 2021

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Blackjack/Emmisaries to the Orcs - 01 Oct 20

#121 Post by Stirling »

Brother Issachar standing at the top of the tower would normally give him a good appreciative view. He doesn't have time to look around much, just sees the dragon close to Amistad.

Too far away for any effective spell casting and not close enough for any melee so options limited. I do however still hold the chain and figuring 'what goes up must come down', chain in hand, the brave and foolhardy cleric decides to risk some fellowship with the Grim Reaper with a bold idea. If he had time to think about it might not seem so bright.

Brother Issachar, jumps of the watch tower roof, chain in hand to the interior ground floor. He figures that the weight of the chain and dragon will slow his descent and yank the dragon backwards so that it cannot breathe acid effectively, allowing those others chance to slay or subdue it.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Jernau35 »

Continuing to gallop, expecting to be enveloped in a searing cloud of acid at any moment, Piers finally risks a look over his shoulder. With no dragon in sight, he risks a second look, then a third. Once it dawns on him that there's no dragon about to swoop on him, he slows his horse. "Whoah Nimble! Whoah!"

Piers turns to look back at the tower. "Well, either the damn thing ate everybody and flew off, or they managed to kill it". He shades his eyes and looks up into the sky. "Or the bloody thing is up there somewhere".

He urges Nimble into a canter and then a run, heading back to the tower. "Piers my lad, you're pushing your luck" he mutters.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

Sees the cloaked figure of Issachar suddenly appear on top of the tower parapet, anchoring the chained dragon. If the dragon moves forward then he'll be dragged off the lip if entangled. He sees the cleric leap the other side and the chain go taut.

Not sure if Amistad has the skill but I would attempt another drastic action as I don't think I can out run the dragon with a wagon. So I want to spur the draft horses to .... charge!

Initiative Roll [1d6] = 3 wisdom check vs 9 [1d20] = 12

Directly for the dragon to run it over and trample it. Then Amistad will engage in a final melee.

Okay I know the horses may have more sense than Amistad but at 30ft' away I am only a sitting duck target for him to spit on. Fleeing he will melt. Staying put and downing a potion, he will melt. If the dragon gets throttled and pulled enough to stop the gout and be jerked, we have a hope.

(No hope and Bob Hope and Bob has left the building).

And a hope the troopers rally valiantly downhill from the palisade ...

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Stirling »

Amistad showing True Grit, whipping the horses like Ben-Hur pulling a chariot, standing on the seat with axe and reins in hand, roaring like a mad lion.

Issachar thinks of tavern tributes to posthumously honour the expedition leader. :lol:

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Marullus »

OOC Note:
For Amistad:
I'm going to adjudicate this as written since you went to the trouble of stating OOC that you know its a bad idea and also posted a failed WIS check to justify your character doing it anyway. :)

Only a warhorse will attempt to trample a foe. Horses (riding, draft, mule, or pony) normally check morale any time combat is near them. Your horses have 'battle familiarity' so they only check morale when they are injured. (I just counted being burned by dragon acid as a fail and you spent a round calming them down.) The book info, and the stats I placed on your character sheet, say "Note: it will flee and only fight when cornered." There is no chance that the horses can be convinced to try to trample the dragon.

For Idriss:
You are using the tower top as a fulcrum/pulley and trying to lever the dragon. There's no way Idriss wins a weight contest with a dragon big enough to be ridden. I assume you secured yourself enough to make this feasible, so you'll only let go of the chain when you choose (but will be impacted - literally - in various ways until then). I AM allowing that the dragon has a -3 to its bite attack chance to hit as long as you're dangling from the chain on its neck.
Issachar, realizing he is leashed to the dragon, leaps off the backside of the tower, plummeting back towards the ground far below. He falls only a third of the way, however, before th chain snaps tight, jerking his shoulder hard in it's socket and smacking him abruptly against the tower wall (-3), leaving him dangling and swinging some 30' above the ground.

Amistad slaps the pair of draft horses with his reins, urging them all the way up to a canter, the wagon bumping erratically behind. He drives straight at the dragon, who's neck is abruptly yanked backwards by Issachar's maneuver, leaving the beast momentarily surprised and off balance. The horses are not trained for such a daring move, however, and veer wide around and past the dragon no matter what Amistad urges. They canter past, banking hard to avoid the far side of the palisade and looping back around.

The dragon then launches itself skyward, back towards and over the tower, wings beating furiously. Issachar finds he is no longer entangled with the tower but instead dangles like a worm on a hook and the dragon is trying to climb higher...

Date: 10 October 2021, 7:33am
Light: Sunlight (dawn)
Effects: none
Injuries: Akkara, Bera, Trick (Dead), Choco the horse (moderately wounded), Amistad (Moderately Wounded), Issachar (minorly wounded)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

no, your assumptions are spot on. I had no real faith an acid damaged duo of draft horses would valiantly charge a dragon unless I rolled like a super critical wisdom score.

"Aaargh! Boo!" he shouts at the dragon as it turns to flee. Well at least he chased it away. He pats the horses down after their exertion and uses one of the potions from the strongbox to cure Chocos's burns, seeing to his faithful (and wiser), horse first before he looks after himself. "Where is everybody?" he says before watching the dragon fly off with a figure dangling on the end of the chain like a fish out of water.

Amistad uses healing potion [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3
Amistad uses healing potion [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

He spurs the horses to follow the flying dragon.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Jernau35 »

Seeing the dragon taking off from the tower, Piers reins in his horse to take stock for a moment. If it looks like it's heading in his direction, he immediately takes off towards cover as quickly as he can. If it looks like it's heading off in another direction, he'll try and follow it.

I'm assuming there's still a decent distance between Piers and the dragon? He did gallop a fair way before wondering why the dragon hadn't attacked him before looking around and then eventually stopping. And he's definitely not galloping back:
Jernau35 wrote:
He urges Nimble into a canter and then a run, heading back to the tower. "Piers my lad, you're pushing your luck" he mutters.

The only thing he can do right now is shoot sling stones at it, so he'd rather get out of the way. He'll follow along in case Issachar gets dropped somewhere and he can help.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Stirling »

Brother Issachar

Hangs on, grabbing a chain link in hand and for footholds. He can't let go or drop. So the only way is up ... or before the dragon gets too high and far from help.

Intoning a Reaper verse of doom, the cleric casts Darkness. Not upon the dragon but the chain collar around its neck, figuring it will land (crash land?) if it can't see.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Marullus »

Slow it down, guys. We are in combat rounds. Piers is only one round away if he stopped, Amistad can only feed one potion to the horse, Issachar is still above the camp. It hasn't been five minutes yet. Stirling - the dragon still gets a save.

Piers watches the dragon rise from outside the palisade while Amistad coaxes his draft horse into drinking a potion with some effort.

Issachar prays to Gwanwen and a cloud of darkness appears around the dragon's head. It roars again in rage. The dragon's tail end, still visible, flies erratically, diving and swooping as it struggles with both chain and darkness as impediments. Issachar dangles, swinging wildly, and smacks hard against the palisade as the dragon swoops past (-5) before being yanked over the top of it.

Date: 10 October 2021, 7:34am
Injuries: Akkara, Bera, Trick (Dead), Choco the horse (moderately wounded), Amistad (Moderately Wounded), Issachar (minorly wounded)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Stirling »

Brother Issachar

A cloud of utter darkness is created, hopefully blinding the dragon. Issachar doesn't know if it worked as he is buffeted against the stonework. Too stupid he hangs on the heavy chain, afraid to let go.

did the dragon save? I think not?

He has a plan. He wants to climb higher up the chain. He needs to otherwise he might get swung into trees (not a bad idea if they cushion his fall?) or splat on a hillside. At least on the dragon he might be able to subdue it and bring in to earth with less of a crash.

So keeping 'three points of contact', hands and feet, he pulls himself up the chain.

"Rope ladder, just like a rope ladder."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Drinks the second potion and urges the wagon and horses to follow the dragon and clinging cleric.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Marullus »

Correct - the dragon failed it's save. I will assume Piers is still just watching/following.

The dragon flails blindly, dragging Issachar over the palisade and off the side of the cliff. He dangles above the river plain, the site of the battle and the remnants of the other dragon below him, and determines he will climb the chain like a ladder.

His choice comes too late. Enraged by the chain continuing to pull down on its head [and the man clinging to the end of it], the dragon dives straight downward to drive Issachar to the ground and tear him to shreads. It's bite hampered by the chain weight and it's eyes blinded by darkness, this is no small feat. Nonetheless, it lands directly atop The hapless cleric before the chain can be climbed. The dragon's claw tears off a forearm (-4, critical hit: sever limb) while it's giant Jaws snap his femur and it consumes a leg (-12, critical hit: sever limb) Issachar screams and blacks out.

Amistad and Piers, mounted on cart and horse respectively, advance down the cliff-side road to the plain, following. They see the cloud of magical darkness and hear Issachar's screams and the dragon roaring and crunching bone triumphantly, it's tail and wings flapping outside the darkness's limits.

Actions! You can reach the dragon and act, or get safely out of range, this round.

Date: 10 October 2021, 7:35am
Injuries: Akkara, Bera, Trick (Dead), Issachar (critically wounded, unconscious), Choco the horse (moderately wounded), Amistad (Moderately Wounded)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Spearmint »

the dragon dives straight downward to drive Issachar to the ground and tear him to shreds. It's bite hampered by the chain weight and it's eyes blinded by darkness, this is no small feat. Nonetheless, it lands directly atop The hapless cleric before the chain can be climbed.
A blind dragon diving head first to the ground and Issachar dangling on the end of the chain more than 50'ft below him. Did the dragon not head butt the ground? And Issachar crash land first and get a chance to roll away?

also if the 20-4 is still viewed as a critical hit for double damage, should the 3-4=-1 not be viewed as an ultra fumble? Feel like I am clutching at straws to save Issachar,

Amistad takes advantage of the blind dragon. Issachar is dead meat. he can cast 'Silence 15'ft radius' upon himself and die quietly. Turning wagon around, Amistad goes home.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Marullus »

OOC Response to the above...
Spearmint wrote:A blind dragon diving head first to the ground and Issachar dangling on the end of the chain more than 50'ft below him. Did the dragon not head butt the ground? And Issachar crash land first and get a chance to roll away?
That is adjudicated by the dragon's to-hit rolls. I applied -4 and -7 penalties to the dragon for the various factors, same as I would for the PCs. It would've head-butted the ground and taken damage if it critically fumbled (rolled a natural 1). Otherwise, even in the dark, a dragon knows how to use its wings. Issachar rolling out of the way would have been a good description if the dragon had missed... but the dragon rolled two critical hits.
Spearmint wrote:also if the 20-4 is still viewed as a critical hit for double damage, should the 3-4=-1 not be viewed as an ultra fumble?
It is based on natural 20s and natural 1s. Sometimes the dice are kind, sometimes they're not. That was a natural 3, not a natural 1.
Spearmint wrote:Feel like I am clutching at straws to save Issachar,
To be fair, its your IC job to save Issachar, not a factor for rules lawyering. Amistad and Piers have let him fight a dragon alone for five rounds. It's amazing Issachar is still alive at all. :) If you're concerned about saving Issachar, then have Spearmint hit the dragon.

I've done all I can to give Issachar a fighting chance as the DM. The dragon is feral/enraged and using poor tactics. You've had multiple rounds to act to help him. In this action, I applied the critical hits as lost limbs because if I applied the normal double damage he'd be irrevocably dead. The limbs aren't the end of the character and are a roleplay opportunity that I expected Stirling might enjoy. Issachar can get a peg leg and hook-hand of some kind back in town... I expect simple ramifications like "max of 3/4 walking speed" and "no two-handed weapons" instead of the usual impact of life-saving deus ex machina (attribute reduction and/or reincarnation).

At this point, the odds are getting vanishingly slim, but you've pulled it off before.
...I'll hold for an IC action from Piers.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

now would be a good time for the troops to charge in at least? I don't see me hitting the dragon to have much effect. Unless I critted' and was backed up by the troops or orcs even.

For Amistad's part, he feels the whole expedition has come to an abrupt and disastrous end. Losing Akaara, Trick the cartwright, Bera ranger and cleric / translator Issachar, it is going to be very difficult to press on even if the troops fully supported Sir Piers attempts to integrate into the orc society. A very minor positive is the trade delegation but even that has no guarantee of success.

With that in mind and the rending and crunching and munching, and the troops probably reticent to charge the dragon, I think the expedition is over and Amistad formally resigns any leadership or authority for the trip and men to Sir Piers.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Jernau35 »

In a brief moment Piers considers his options: he could try to save Issachar, with no guarantee of success and risk being killed by the dragon as he does so. Or he could try a desperate solo attempt to kill the dragon, which even if successful against the odds, would probably take long enough for Issachar to bleed out. So very little to be gained and much to be lost either way.

Piers decides to take advantage of the dragon's current lack of vision and retreat as far away as possible, as quickly as possible. He mutters a brief prayer for Issachar as he rides away, intent on getting the remainder of the expedition under some kind of cover in case the dragon pursued them.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Stirling »

Brother Issachar

Shrouded in darkness and death, the Grim Reaper comes calling.

[img]
sa-tis-but-a-scratch-just-a-flesh-wound-m-32442354.png
sa-tis-but-a-scratch-just-a-flesh-wound-m-32442354.png (47.24 KiB) Viewed 892 times
[/img]

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Marullus »

After a moment of hesitation, Amistad tugs the reins and steers his draft horses wide around the dragon, bumping the wagon along southwards. Piers does the same and the ten knights follow in kind, the entire human force steadfastly heading down river and ignoring the crunching, grinding sounds of the the dragon's teeth as it pulls forth tendon and tissue and consumes Issachar's remains.

The party travels an hour down river, then pauses to regroup. The dragon is now more than a mile behind, out of sight and sound. Akkara, Bera, and Trick didn't have enough remains left to bring along, but the grusome deaths are on everyone's mind. That said, the leadership of the southern watchtower of the Black Tongue Tribe has been replaced with a new leader who owes you for the favor. The promise of trade southward is made, though the details undetermined, so your first purpose is at least successful. You know more about the mountain, which was your second purpose. It isn't triumphant, but neither is it failure, yet.

Amistad calls together the remaining riders and announces he's abdicating leadership to Sir Piers. The knights seem confused and dubious of this strange turn and look to Piers for his response.

Date: 10 October 2021, 8:35am
Injuries: Akkara, Bera, Trick (Dead), Issachar (Dead and eaten), Choco the horse (mildly wounded), Amistad (mildly wounded)

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Jernau35 »

Sir Piers sweeps back his cloak and allows the light to fully catch the scales of his dragon armor. "Sgt Danzeiger! Troopers of Gaul! I am a Knight of Gaul, sworn to the service of Baudh and the Duke. I accept the mantle of command. Our current mission is complete. We shall return to Gaul with honor."

"Sun Father! Watch over us and keep us in your Light!"

Piers directs that the wagon and horses be inspected and the loads distributed evenly. He's especially concerned about taking as much strain as possible off the damaged wagon.

Then he uses the Holy Symbol of Faithfulness to cast Cure Light Wounds on Amistad and Choco the horse. (Assuming none of the troopers are injured, in which case he'll heal them before the horse).

Cure Light Wounds [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

+1hp from Holy Symbol.

Cure Light Wounds [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

+1hp from Holy Symbol.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"Men I feel I should resign as my decisions have led to tragedy and great loss. Of course trade and peace is on my mind but wiser heads should prevail to establish the network of goodwill to enable all to prosper. Dragons haunt my ways, these feral saurons kept in chains by the orcs and the vengeful Green, brooding over her slain young that we talked of in the crystal dome. She no doubt harries my loggers in the forest. My plans are in tatters as are my hopes and reputation. Akaara is slain along with Trick and their loss I feel sorely personal. Issachar and Bera died with valour as did the troopers who boldly charged the orc line. I will honour them in time."

Going straight south should take us by the crystal dome or to the west of it. Closer to Pinewood via a forest trek. Alternatively we return the way we came, a slow trek emerging by Beith's Watch.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”