OOC I

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#101 Post by dmw71 »

Just a quick note, which I'll be adding to all my games, that I'm starting to get into a better groove at work, even with the increased workload.

Hopefully that will mean an uptick in activity.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#102 Post by Faanku »

Have rope bridges ever ended well in D&D? :lol:

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Rukellian »

To be honest, this is actually the first time I've ever been presented with a rope bridge scenario in a game. I'm interested to see how this goes... and pray I don't have to roll 1d6 bludgeoning damage for every 10 ft of potential fall damage. :geek:

Edit:
Sorry, meant to say Rope Ladder. I double checked the post and was mistaken.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#104 Post by dmw71 »

Rukellian wrote: Edit:
Sorry, meant to say Rope Ladder. I double checked the post and was mistaken.
But a rope bridge would have been so much cooler! I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it. :(
-- Project --
-- DM --

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#105 Post by Faanku »

Ah yes, water. The one thing even more deadly that rope bridges in D&D.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by Bluetongue »

sorry for not posting sooner, have had some other issues which have taken me away from the game for a while.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#107 Post by dmw71 »

Crazy work week. I had two major presentations I've been preparing for (on top of all my normal responsibilities) and just finished the first of the two. Which is a relief.

My plan is to try and move all my games today, which, if I'm being realistic, probably won't happen, but we'll see. Expect an update here either later today or tomorrow.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#108 Post by dmw71 »

Well, this sucks.
Maintenance.jpg
Maintenance.jpg (95.37 KiB) Viewed 1920 times
With maintenance about to start at any time (I've already been pushing my luck for 22 minutes), I'm afraid to start a new update and potentially lose it. I will move this one tomorrow, for sure.[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#109 Post by dmw71 »

Rukellian wrote:...I wasn't sure if the survival skill based perception roll was called for, or if I could combine it with my wisdom bonus as well.
tl;dr
The modifier that shows up to the right of the skill in the list on your character sheet is the total modifier you'll use (you don't need to go seeking out any/all individual modifiers that might apply; they're all already factored in).

Full response:
Thalian's total survival modifier is +5.

That +5 is a combination of his Wisdom modifier (+3) and his proficiency bonus (+2).

Any character can attempt any skill, and apply the appropriate ability score modifier to their roll, but they only apply their proficiency modifier to their roll if they're proficient with the skill.

So, if I called for an Intelligence (Nature) skill check instead, it would be just a straight roll for Thalian since he's not proficient in that skill (no proficiency bonus) and his Intelligence modifier is zero.

---

Ahh, a good way to illustrate this is to compare Thalian's Wisdom (Medicine) and Wisdom (Perception) skills.
Skills.png
Skills.png (5.56 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
Since they're both Wisdom based, and Thalian's Wisdom modifier is +3, that +3 will apply to checks made against either skill. However, because Thalian is proficient with Medicine (see light blue highlight), he would also apply the +2 proficiency bonus to any Medicine checks.

Make sense?[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Rukellian »

Got it. Thanks for the quick lesson. I should just use the one survival skill roll then. Please disregard the others.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#111 Post by dmw71 »

Rukellian wrote:I should just use the one survival skill roll then. Please disregard the others.
Regarding this, sometimes rolls are made assuming it will be one thing, when I have another though in mind. In that case, I will just take the d20 result and add whatever the appropriate modifiers should be to it.

I'd much rather have more rolls than needed than not enough.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#112 Post by dmw71 »

Because he's moving slowly, Thalian can make his Acrobatics checks with advantage, which means for each attempt he gets to roll two d20's and take the higher result.

You supplied two rolls -- a 16 and a 7. The higher of those two is the 16, which is the result that will be used (success). But, you still need to make two more checks (each with two rolls, or four more rolls total) for your remaining attempts.

Make sense?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Rukellian »

Sorry. The whole rolling with advantage thing completely went over my head, hence the way I rolled. Now that I know what it means, I will supply you those needed rolls. Had I known the action was waiting on me, for something like this, I would have checked much sooner. My apologies.

The two rolls you needed from me should be edited into my post now. They both were fails... so that means the Dex check I made earlier will kick in now, right?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#114 Post by dmw71 »

Rukellian wrote:Sorry. The whole rolling with advantage thing completely went over my head, hence the way I rolled. Now that I know what it means, I will supply you those needed rolls. Had I known the action was waiting on me, for something like this, I would have checked much sooner. My apologies.
Hey, no worries. The advantage/disadvantage system is a pretty slick mechanic. I probably should have specifically linked to the rule when I called for it, though. My bad.

And no, you're not holding the game up at all (that falls squarely on me).
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#115 Post by BearSiren817 »

Hehe just a wood elf in this one Dave! ;)
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#116 Post by dmw71 »

I should be able to move you guys tonight.
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#117 Post by BearSiren817 »

I'd love to be a Tabaxi...just a wood elf in this campaign :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#118 Post by dmw71 »

BearSiren817 wrote:I'd love to be a Tabaxi...just a wood elf in this campaign :)
Oops . :lol:

I'll fix it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Rukellian »

I can have Thalian volunteer to push one of the doors open. What sort of strength check would this be? Straight 14 in my case or 14 with the modifier? I wasn't sure if the modifier was only applied to skills and attacks.

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#120 Post by BearSiren817 »

Good question. Could be athletics too. I figured us girls and our -1 (8) strength could be the assistance for advantage. :)

Return to “Tomb of the Hero's Light (5e)”