Episode 2 - The planet Ahiri

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Episode 2 - The planet Ahiri

#61 Post by Marullus »

OOC:
Sorry, I was using the red for OOC... I am waiting for private forum clarification of what we're supposed to do with that lead so I can't reply IC.

I am suggesting we roll forward together IC untill we have more information and not split up.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by Faanku »

I assumed you had gotten a response in PMs already, my mistake.

Liaozhai
Scout
Scout

#63 Post by Liaozhai »

Silas was always so supportive. "Thank you very much, Mr. Corvus. I'm looking forward to what you make of Mr. Charmsworth's research. It will be good to have you along as well, Dr. Yegorovich. All I've learned from the L'Hoi so far is that Charmsworth was given to their gods... 'given' implies some agency on the part of the L'Hoi, but their language is based on different conceptual structures than our own. For all we know, he could still be alive and in dire need of medical treatment."

To Dax, he said, "We don't need his bones, but we do need to retrieve his research. I looked into some Black Albion bounties before we left for Ahiri. I'll send everyone the information while we still have access to the Persephone's wireless network."

Markus Rader: Black Albion member, bounty collected.
Jonatan Robbins : Black Albion member, bounty collected.
Elián Arntzenius : Black Albion member, bounty: 2000cr
Eligio Hammond: Black Albion member, bounty: 2500cr

"On a related note, something tells me the L'Hoi don't have network satellites for a comm grid. It's been a while since I checked the ship locker, does anyone know if we have any field radios on board? If we split up, we'll need a way to keep in touch, or at least make plans for a rendezvous."

At the time, I acted like Elián was the tattooed man from Dax's friend's social media, but that might have been overstepping? If it wasn't him and Lissette isn't responding, then we don't really have any leads beyond these two.

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#64 Post by Gerrin »

There are wrist communicators in the hold, you guys can use those.

lordgrimli
Strider
Strider

#65 Post by lordgrimli »

Lloyd hands out the communicators to everyone.

"I'll keep one of these on, if you need a lift just call me and I'll come pick you up before you can say 'Taxi!'."

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by Antman9 »

Silas A. Corvus: Expert Technician (HP: 5) (AC: 13)
Action/Status: Prepares to scout the L’Hoi village

I am looking forward to seeing that tech as well Wei. Very intrigued as to what they may have been up to.” Silas dons one of the wrist communicators and verifies it works “Ground crew to Persephone. Keep a sharp eye Lloyd. Any sign of those pirates and you scuttle the ship, no question. Better you and the Persephone safe and us stranded for a bit…Ground Crew out.

Silas checks to see if his Dataslab can connect to the wrist communicators, and if so what capabilities they might have, while he waits to move out to the L’Hoi village.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

lordgrimli
Strider
Strider

#67 Post by lordgrimli »

The response comes in a bit scratchy but understandable.

"I copy. Stay safe." There is a long pause before Lloyd seems to decide to remember something. "Oh, and maybe we can find something exotic in the settlement on the cheap, you know? Could make a nice profit. Obviously not the priority but keep an eye out. Over."

As soon as the team on the ground is away from the ship Lloyd lifts the entrance ramp and turns on the sensors to alert him if anyone approaches the ship. There's been some loose cables that he has been meaning to tie down, so that comes next.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Marullus »

Dax: Chaos and Beat-downs (HP: 7) (AC: 17)
Action/Status: Worrying about pirates.

Dax scrolls through the info sent by Wei, pensive. If the lizard people are into sacrificing people to appease their gods, it doesn't bode well. Corp espionage is so much simpler. Lissette, what did you get into?

She is broken from her reverie by Silas' transmission. She glances at Wei and then countermands with her own transmission. "Uh, Lloyd? Perhaps don't scuttle the ship. Running away and coming back later with it still functional seems less dramatic, yeah? Okay. Over and out."

lordgrimli
Strider
Strider

#69 Post by lordgrimli »

Lloyd was surprised to hear another voice, thinking the conversation was over. "Hm? Oh no I think he meant scuttle as in scamper or run away. Don't worry I won't let any harm come to this beautiful lady."

He ran a hand affectionately over the metal wall of the ship. The first ship he'd first ship had been the Rhodes, named after the goddess. A portly transport to be sure, but she was reliable. Nothing like the grace of the Persephone though.

For a moment, Lloyd forgot where he was and thought back to his last moment on the Rhodes. She hadn't been his ship really, but he'd spent thousands of hours flying her and it had been hard to leave her behind. He hadn't even had the chance to say goodbye, but then again, being shot at tended to change your priorities pretty quick.

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#70 Post by Gerrin »

The ground team slowly approaches the L'Hoi who is covered in the body paint.
It hoots, growls and seems to gesture back towards the edge of the clearing and the other L'Hoi.

Liaozhai
Scout
Scout

#71 Post by Liaozhai »

Wei eyed the band suspiciously. He wasn't one to dismiss technology out of hand. All things were part of the Way, whether they grew from the soil or were manufactured in a factory--not to mention the fact that one of his closest companions was a car. Still, if there was one lesson his homeworld had taken away from the Silence, it was that the most advanced technology could be the most vulnerable. He recognized his bias and accepted it. Whatever happens, happens. We have the capability to adapt to technical difficulties.

He spoke into the communicator: "Testing. I believe a kind of nutrient-rich freshwater kelp features prominently in L'Hoi cuisine. If you do scuttle Persephone, at least we'll eat well. We'll keep an eye out for more enticing goods than riverweed at their settlement. Over."

The L'Hoi had likely killed Simon Charmsworth, a man with combat experience and a storied career with corporations like Talos. Wei looked over at his four companions and wondered how many of them would also meet the gods of the L'Hoi if he wasn't careful. "Just a reminder, if any L'Hoi start any trouble with you while we're at their village, try crossing your arms like this," he demonstrated, "to show that you didn't mean any offence."

To the painted L'Hoi, he said, [Lead on!]

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by Antman9 »

Silas A. Corvus: Expert Technician (HP: 5) (AC: 13)
Action/Status: Prepares to scout the L’Hoi village

Corvus prepares himself mentally for the task at hand. Keeping focus for extended periods of time on social activities, and even though this case only involves not offending the locals, it will still be a massive drain. He practices the anti-offense arm movements several times to ensure he has it in memory. "I've got your six Wei, everyone for that matter. My focus is primed and on point. Lead the way my friend."

The talk of food makes Corvus' stomach growl, even though he isn't hungry. Nerves he guesses, then grumbles to himself quietly, Kelp salad actually sounds pretty tasty compared to ship rations, which makes him think of something, and asks in a low voice..."Wei, do they have a greeting they prefer, and/or eating customs we should know about? Let's make this the best damn visit they've had from outsiders...best as we can anyhow, given the circumstances. Although from the sound of things, it may not matter either way. He trails off and shrugs his shoulders..."Thinking out loud I guess."
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Liaozhai
Scout
Scout

#73 Post by Liaozhai »

"Thank you, Mr. Corvus. The L'Hoi typically greet each other with a bow like the one Dax and I did when we first met our new hosts. The elders are the first to straighten their backs. Seeing as we're the invading aliens, it might be best to let any L'Hoi take the initiative there, unless of course, you encounter any obviously young L'Hoi..."

Wei reflected on what other customs he had learned from continued interaction with the L'Hoi. [/color]Know-0 + INT [2d6+1] = 9+1 = 10

As he thought, he spoke at length about other aspects of the L'Hoi and their society--their amphibious nature, how they preferred to hunt with spears, rites related to taming "Biters," bipedal reptilian hunters that could grow to nearly two metres tall, that had begun to fall by the wayside.

"Today, feral Biters stalk the jungles of Ahiri."

He suddenly became aware of how silently the L'Hoi moved on land.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Marullus »

Dax: Chaos and Beat-downs (HP: 7) (AC: 17)
Action/Status: Swatting flies and thinking about lizard planet horror movies.

Retroactive wardrobe change, since we didn't plan on visiting pirates after all.
500_F_102213153_ABmUwao1io3wipL49VGisZqj7P2fM82N.jpg
500_F_102213153_ABmUwao1io3wipL49VGisZqj7P2fM82N.jpg (32.62 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
Dax strides along next to Wei, more practical in her khakis and jungle boots, glad for the fabric and hat as she swats another insect that gets too curious. I'm not willing to find out if those things bite. Ugh. The leather jacket might seem a bit warm, but planetary data indicated cool nights and, well, it is much more useful for hiding guns...

"So the kelp eating frogmen will give us to their gods and the feral lizardmen will kill and eat us? Either way, it isn't a good day to be clueless outsiders... I've seen how this film goes and the cute girl always dies first," quips Dax, then offering a sympathetic glance to the redhead behind her. "Sorry, Tats."

After a moment of silence and shuffling footfalls, it becomes clear she isn't going to finish the thought aloud about who is cute and who is dying.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#75 Post by kalstone »

Nikolai

Nikolai scratched at the inside of his forearm. Bow and then wait for who to rise first? He was having trouble concentrating. He shrugged. He would have to follow Wei's lead. He wondered if the L'Hoi was one of those primitive tribes who used psychoactive plants in their religious rituals. Perhaps he could convince Wei to ask discretely.

"Charmsworth probably just got sloppy. I doubt this tribe is a danger to a well armed party like us," he said, perhaps over-confidently.

Liaozhai
Scout
Scout

#76 Post by Liaozhai »

"That's exactly what the heroes of The Iron Warrior of Lü Valley believed when they went into the jungle, unaware of the deadly predator that stalked them. In that story, the licentious jokester was slain first. Though during the manhunt to recover his body, it is the gruff older member of the group who falls prey to the alien killer... you'd best be careful, Dr. Yegorovich," he said archly. "The Iron Warrior was ultimately a creature of virtue and would not harm an unarmed opponent. I don't know if a Biter would show the same courtesy."

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by Faanku »

Tatiana watches the shuttle leaves then visibly sags with relief, clearing her throat as her focus returns to the aliens. "Wei has the right of it, Doctor; 'an ounce of prevention,' or such was the favourite phrase of a tutor at the Academy. And I believe we have spoken at length on the subject of those old movies you persist in viewing, Daxana," this directed at the fashionable warrior in front of her. "They are harmless distractions at best, dangerous cultivators of xenophobia at worst."

A blue-white shimmer coats the rest of the party for the blink of an eye then disappears, and suddenly the group feel a pleasant coolness wash away any unpleasantness the tropical weather may have inflicted. Even the knats and other airborne annoyances that had been buzzing around the Persephone's crew seem to somehow have lost interest, and each breath taken becomes crisp and refreshing, no longer heavy with the cloying odour of the woodlands. Perhaps the most surprising thing amongst all this though is the friendly wink she gives Dax. "Even still, perhaps it is just as well that we 'cute' defenceless crewmen have one such as yourself to rescue them from any impending doom."

OOC: I'm expending effort to extend my Pressure Field power to the whole party.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Marullus »

"Yeah, the Warrior of the Iron Loo..." punctuates Dax, seizing on Wei's confirmation of her movie plotline theory.

She then nods to Tatiana gratefully, acknowledging the gift of comfort and buglessness as the personal atmosphere ends her sweatiness. With less focus on the insects, she focuses intently on the surrounding jungle, watching for feral lizardmen...

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#79 Post by Gerrin »

The painted L'Hoi approaches, bows while sweeping his arms out wide.
With a series of hoots, he gestures for you to follow him.
As you fall in behind him, the other L'Hoi take up position at the back of the group.

After about 20 minutes of marching, the L'Hoi with the body paint stops.
He holds his hands up and chirps. The L'Hoi at the back of the group assume defensive positions, scanning the foliage of the jungle.
The painted L'Hoi gestures to the jungle ahead and to your right.

Everyone in the group can make a notice check
Last edited by Gerrin on Mon May 13, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liaozhai
Scout
Scout

#80 Post by Liaozhai »

Wei agreed with Tatiana that some art held greater moral character than others, though no art could completely articulate the true Way. In some cases, there was as much to be learned from low art like, admittedly, The Iron Warrior of Lü Valley as there was from the most transcendental painting.

However, he believed now was not the most prudent time to discuss art any further. He followed the L'Hoi's finger and scanned the jungle.

[2d6] = 8 -1 (untrained) = 7

Return to “Into the Unknown (Stars Without Numbers)”