Episode 2 - The planet Ahiri

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Episode 2 - The planet Ahiri

#41 Post by Gerrin »

The shuttle raises back up to about fifty feet, turns and accelerates quickly away.
As the dust clouds settle, the L'Hoi reappear at the edge of the clearing.
There are now five of them. One of the newcomers is covered in what appears to be bright body paint of some kind and it hold a staff with bones and skulls attached to it.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Faanku »

Tatiana takes a few surreptitious steps further behind the group without thinking as more L'Hoi make their presence felt, Wei's warning about the potential danger suddenly putting their situation into perspective. She looks around for any solid fauna that might make a decent barrier between her friends and any danger they might face, then tenses her mind ready to make use of her gifts.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Marullus »

Dax: Chaos and Beat-downs (HP: 7) (AC: 17)
Action/Status: Protecting Wei.

Dax keeps her face calm, smiling next to Wei. I hope they know a smile is friendly, she thinks, remembering the horror flick Lizard People from Planet Xenon! which she watched on their last hyperjump... Regrettably the closest thing to cultural context she has in this situation. Her fingers twitch more.

As the shuttle departs without interaction and more L'Hoi emerge to tactically surround them, her body grows more and more tense, wound like a spring. She considers their position at the foot of the ship's loading ramp, otherwise mid-clearing. She hopes to death that Udex has the ship weaponry spun up... Her eyes glance to Wei furtively. I hope you got this, boss. I don't want to meet their volcano god like in the movie.

No posts for Udex... Does he know we moved to a new thread?

Liaozhai
Scout
Scout

#44 Post by Liaozhai »

Personalpariah was last online on the 20th... he sounded pretty busy last week? The crunch must be really bad. I hope he comes back soon.

Wei went into another elaborate bow towards the newcomer, who appeared to be of some advanced station within L'Hoi society.

"Under suns and sky, it greets you warmly. How can these poor creatures assist you, elder?"
Last edited by Liaozhai on Fri May 03, 2019 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#45 Post by Gerrin »

The newcomer in body paint briefly confers with the large L'Hoi and then slowly approaches you, shaking the bones on his totem as he does so.
The other L'Hoi have moved either side of the two approaching L'Hoi and stand alert, watching the group carefully.

Liaozhai
Scout
Scout

#46 Post by Liaozhai »

The L'Hoi had not responded to any of his queries with language. He wasn't concerned. Wei remembered the Three Traps, an allegory he first heard a lifetime ago, not long after he started his studies but well before his education began.
  • The purpose of a net is to catch fish. When the fish are caught, the net is forgotten. The purpose of a snare is to catch game. When the game is caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of a word is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.

Where can I find one who has forgotten words so I can have a word with them?
He had been courteous and spoke with the greatest art his understanding of the L'Hoi tongue allowed. Now, it seemed, the time for words had passed and there was no profit in speaking further. He maintained his bow and waited for the armed L'Hoi to act.

It is only because the Sage does not contend that none are able to contend with them.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by Antman9 »

Silas A. Corvus: Expert Technician (HP: 5) (AC: 13)
Action/Status: Trying not to spook the natives.

These L'Hoi are curious folk, Silas thinks to himself. Perhaps this is similar to the ancient viking tradition of waiting in silence to allow those on shore to determine if you were real or some ghostly apparition, and if an apparition were you foe or friend. Which seems to be what both sides are doing in this case. Silas watches the shuttle depart, then kneels down on one knee, keeping his actions easy, non-threatening, docile. He picks a few blades grass, smells them briefly, places the ends in his mouth, and begins to chew and suck lightly, curious as to what this grass might taste like.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by kalstone »

Nikolai

Spooked by the arrival and sudden departure of the shuttle, Nikolai mutters quietly, "Those guys are bringing friends. I hope Wei wraps this up soon."

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by Antman9 »

Action/Status: Remaining calm in spite of the uncertainties.

Assuming Nikolai is close to Silas

"I hope for all of us, they were here expecting us to be the reinforcements," Silas says with a tentative smile. "Either way could be bad for us."

lordgrimli
Strider
Strider

#50 Post by lordgrimli »

Lloyd had been in a number of negotiations, but none that didn't have 4 or 5... how to put it... well, soldiers that looked like Dax. Well, honestly none of them had looked like Dax, she was better looking than any soldier he'd known personally. They mostly tended to be overwhelming stubborn types. And maybe Dax had a few similar qualities, but Lloyd found it much easier to digest coming from her.

Looking back over the group, he tried to reassure himself that they could handle a fight. Surely they each had some skills to contribute. Lloyd was well aware that fighting was not his expertise- he had been to the range a few times, sure, but never actually had to shoot at someone. Being shot at was nothing new, of course. The pilot raised an eyebrow at that memory, pushing it from his mind.

Resisting the urge to make his way back into the ship for better cover, or better yet, the weapons systems, Lloyd continues to look around the clearing, on the lookout for any other visitors that may arrive.

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#51 Post by Gerrin »

The L'Hoi marked with the body paint approaches and bows, spreading its hands out wide.
It hoots and warbles in its native tongue and seems to be directing its words to Wei.

Liaozhai
Scout
Scout

#52 Post by Liaozhai »

Wei waited for the L'Hoi to finish its bow before straightening and making eye contact with the painted alien. He chirped in response, "It is the blood of yesterday's slaughter washed by a warm spring." [It's all in the past now, don't worry about it!]

He crossed his arms quickly and gently in a conciliatory manner that emphasized the fleeting nature of the tension while acknowledging the part that he and the crew of the Persephone had played by suddenly appearing in the midst of the L'Hoi's territory.

"To squat in the hearth of your tribe is a fish in each hand. This one is honored to bask in the radiance of elders' wisdom. [I would be overjoyed to visit your village; it is an honor to learn from you.]

"These milk-spawn are muck-cattle in the larval pool, insensible to tribesong and mothers' cries. Better to draw away than attract Biters. Though a three-toad can learn the warrior's dive. [My fellow humans don't understand the tongue of the L'Hoi. Their ignorance could put themselves or even put the village in danger, however, it might be an educational experience for some of them.]

Without turning, he said to his comrades, "We've been invited to the L'Hoi village. I will go to learn more about the circumstances of Mr. Charmsworth's death and whatever I can about his work... though I suspect I may need some technical expertise to understand whatever Talos had him working on out here. Otherwise, I feel like the best use of our collective resources is to split up. I don't want to keep Dax and Taniushka from their pirate date..."

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by Antman9 »

Action/Status: Remaining calm in spite of the uncertainties.

"I never claimed to be a linguist, but that was some colorful language. Didn't understand a word of it. Not enough 1's or 0's for my taste. You never cease to impress me Wei, Silas says with a genuine smile of appreciation. I'd be happy to assist with that 'technical expertise' if you need me. Otherwise I'll see to a few maintenance needs.

lordgrimli
Strider
Strider

#54 Post by lordgrimli »

Lloyd was similarly impressed with Wei's politicking, though he had the vague impression that most of it was lost on him. A hazard of not knowing the language, he supposed.

"Silas, you're better with the technical stuff than I am, why don't you go with Wei and I'll guard the ship with Udex. Ill be happy to take care of whatever you need me to."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Marullus »

Dax: Chaos and Beat-downs (HP: 7) (AC: 17)
Action/Status: Protecting Wei.

Dax visibly loses some tension in her shoulders as the threat of imminent violence recedes. She whispers to Wei, uncertain how good the L'Hoi hearing is. "If he's confirmed dead, what's the contract say? You need his bones as proof? Or just the tech the Corp wanted anyway? What's the play with the pirates?"

She looks to Tatiana, "You fancy coming to the party with me and Nikolai? Maybe we take Udex for a spin..."

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by kalstone »

Nikolai

Nikolai indicates he would like to come to the village with Wei. ”Perhaps I could help investigate how Mr. Charmsworth died.”

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by Faanku »

Tatiana

"Well, if that is the consensus..."

Given the choice between entering a murderous alien race's village and a more corporate, if piratical lair of modern sensibilities, she would definitely go with the latter. "I suppose it would be best to have someone keep an eye on you, Daxana."

Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#58 Post by Gerrin »

OK, so I know who is where, what's the break down for going to the L'Hoi village and who is going pirate hunting?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Marullus »

It looks like we don't have an actual lead on the pirates; we can just stay together.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by Faanku »

Tatiana

"Does this mean that your... 'friend,' replied to your message?" the psion asks of Dax.

Return to “Into the Unknown (Stars Without Numbers)”