OOC Combat

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

OOC Combat

#1 Post by Stonjuz »

If/when combat ensues, the group will be instructed to declare actions.
Everyone will state their action intent with a roll of 1d10 for initiative, adjusted for dex, included in the declaration.
2nd Edition Inititative = the lower the roll, the better.
For those attacking with weapons, the attack, and damage rolls are to be included as well.
examples...
player 1. running for cover.
[initiative 1d10-2 (dex) = 8-2=6]
player 2. stand and throw my hammer at it, yelling ... "Go away"
[init 1d10 -1 (dex)=3-1=2] / [throw hammer (thaco 19) 1d20 =17] / [damage vs large 1d6+1 = 3+1=4]
player 3. cast Magic Missile at the young bear. "Fuzzywuzzywasabear"
[initiative 1d10=1] [cast mm 1d4+1=4+1=5]

That way, for each round of combat only one post is required from each player.
Allowing the DM to know exactly what segment your action actually happens, and the pending results without having to ask for additional rolls and such.
Initiative is rolled individually, every round.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC Combat

#2 Post by Stonjuz »

a high dex modifier will decrease your initiative. Rolling d10 for initiative , rolling low is better.
example.
player 1 has dex reaction modifier (+2) she rolls a 3. Three minus modifier (2) is one.
player two has dex modifier of zero. He rolls a natural 1.
player three has dex modifier (+1). She also rolls a 2. Two minus (1) is one.
All three players go on one. but...
on inititative resolution, player 2 goes first, due to the natural one.
followed by player 1, she has a better dex modifier then player 3, who goes last.
(if more than one player had rolled a natural one, then the better dex modifier goes first)

confusing?, maybe but its basic 2nd edition.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Stonjuz »

Definitely large creature.
Add your roll for inititative to see if your attack goes off early in the round or later.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Stonjuz »

:ugeek:
Just a little self-pimping pat on the back. Yesterday I surged into the top ten UnseenServant posters. :!:
Although all of my posts may not be relavent, they were all trying to be genuine, (except maybe this one).
Look out , Im on your heels Vargr. 8-)

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Vargr1105 »

Say what? I didn't even know there was a tally of posts. :)

So who is Number One on it?

Hey...I am Number Six.

I guess that means Number Two (rredmond) will be wanting information, information, information...

I better keep an eye out for Rover too...

Be seeing you... ;)

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Vargr1105 »

I want to post Nayman's combat action but I can't understand AD&D2nd Initiative rules.

Ok, you roll a 1d10 (not that I could find the type of die specified in the rules, mind you, just taking it from the posts), and it is modified by DEX but not Weapon Speed, right?

But which DEX bonus affects Initiative exactly? That's something else I can't find stated plainly on the rules...between 3 or 4 different initiative systems. :?

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Stonjuz »

Vargr1105 wrote:Ok, you roll a 1d10, and it is modified by DEX but not Weapon Speed, right? But which DEX bonus affects Initiative exactly?
CORRECT, not on weapon speed (some dms do use ws however)
it is based on the subability of balance.
Inititative modifier is also called dex based reaction modifier (but i dont wanna confuse anyone any further.

just an example, you roll a 9, your dex reaction modifier is +1....
your first attack is on 8, your second attack (if you have one) is on 8 plus weapon speed of the offhand.
this is not a 2nd edition rule, it is my twist on it to ease understanding.
some 2e and 2.5 DMs ignore weapon speed altogether, but I do like it for multiple attacks
(it helps players from thinking that all of there attacks happen at the same time)

action declarations are important to describe anything that may change that though.
example (i am rearing back with both hands and throwing my hammers at it simultaneously!)
OR.... I am thrusting both longswords together at the same time to the beast
in those cases, both attacks would happen at the same inititative segment, but penalties to hit may still come into play

not sure how it will make a lot of difference in pbp, (some havent been posting inititiatives at all.) it may or not effect too much, but it may very well give enemies a chance to fight back before ALL of your attacks happen.

So, to help the DM, me, if a player would post his roll and the reaction modifier, and the weapon speed of 2nd attack, it would be appreciated, but not mandatory (i can look it up)
another home rule, due to pbp....if you do not post an initiative roll, i will usually have your action go on segment 10, or at the END of the round.

so, a round of combat would/could/should include....
declaration of actions, inititaive roll (with dex modfr) attack roll for each attack ,and damage for each attack, weapon speed can be posted if multiple attacks are declared.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Vargr1105 »

Exactly how large is the red spiky lizard in feet? Does it classify as a "L" creature?

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Stonjuz »

Vargr1105 wrote:Exactly how large is the red spiky lizard in feet? Does it classify as a "L" creature?
Medium size. About the size of an adult alligator. Excellent question. 9.5 feet long

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Stonjuz »

What do you think of the macro I made? .....[1d100] [1d20] [1d10] [1d8] [1d6] [1d4]
one could even include [1d2] with it i guess.

Seems to me, including this macro in everyone's posts would speed up everything.
If dm needs to check for anything , like surprise, inititiative, etc......

just a thought.

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Recklessfireball »

What do you think of the macro I made? .....[1d100] [1d20] [1d10] [1d8] [1d6] [1d4]

Seems to me, including this macro in everyone's posts would speed up everything.

just a thought.
You know what? Until I read this post, it confused me. Now that you've explained what you were doing, it seems pretty slick- a real time saver for setting up macros and posting them. I'm gonna go make my own "mega-macro" right now. :)

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Recklessfireball wrote:

just a thought.
You know what? Until I read this post, it confused me. Now that you've explained what you were doing, it seems pretty slick- a real time saver for setting up macros and posting them. I'm gonna go make my own "mega-macro" right now. :)

Yeah, was just getting around to figuring this out, myself. Would this cover a normal initiative, attack roll, and damage roll? Only thing that it wouldn't cover is ability mods depending on the type of roll needed. Or would you take care of that, Stone? You'd have to look up character sheets, so maybe that doesn't save time? I'll consider using it, if you want, but still thinking it through... :mrgreen:

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by ragnboneshopper »

I'm ready to see this Iuzian priestess knocked on her gothic tail, btw... :twisted:

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Vargr1105 »

I am completely confused about the tactical situation. :oops:

Where exactly is Nayman and what (if anything) can he take a swipe at with his swords?

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Stonjuz »

Nayman saved by leaping onto a nearby rock to avoid the incoming attack. The lizard is now, mostly, in the spot that Nayman was occupying.
It is adjacent to you,concentrating on Darius, practically right at your feet. I suggest ( :twisted: ) you try and kill it.
ill try to use the map maker and come up with something for temporary positions but i wouldnt hold my breath about that.

grey_starr
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by grey_starr »

*Benson plays out some combat in his head while he waits in the dark*

Die evil dark thingy!!!

Imaginary fight - Initiative [1d10] = 7 - Club +1 Hit=[1d20+4] = 13+4 = 17 Dmg=(S/M) [1d6+6] = 2+6 = 8 | (L) [1d3+6] = 1+6 = 7

Home Run!

*IRL - Benson grins in the dark*
Grey Starr - Try my D&D name generators...

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Stonjuz »

Still bumping threads out of the bottom
Concerning Combat:
Other than when, questions?

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Stonjuz »

party formation for the streets of Greyhawk..?

Return to “The Inn of the Unseen Servant - Greyhawk 2.5e”