OOC

ybn1197
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC

#101 Post by Rex »

I am still here, sorry to hear about your rough time. Hold in there.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by ybn1197 »

Rex wrote:Not sure what to roll for initiative, Bingo has a +1 reaction adjustment, you can roll
AD&D was always, at least in my opinion, off-kilter when it came to initiative. The rules state roll 1D10, lowest result goes first. This number was modified by weapon speed, casting spells, etc. Dexterity did NOT modify your initiative roll. That reaction adjustment was actually for surprise rolls indicating how fast you react to a surprise situation.

To determine the initiative order for a round of combat, roll 1d10 for each side in the battle. Normally, this means the DM rolls for the monsters (or NPCs), while one of the players rolls for the PC party. Low roll wins initiative.

I don't like that system as written and have always used the Reaction Adjustment as a negative number in initiative.

Pasting this here as a House Rule.

Holding an Action (from Player's Option: Combat and Tactics)

..., a character can choose to either hold or abort a combat action when his action phase arises. Holding an action simply involves delaying the intended action for one or more action phases.
Dexterity - Page 20 Premium Players Handbook
Initiative - Page 118 Premium Players Handbook
Holding Action - Page 26 Player's Option: Combat and Tactics

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#103 Post by tarlyn »

I've done it that each pplayer rolls his own or even sometimes roll for the pc's or take some of the generated d20 rolls they give to me before the campaign starts.

1 player has a sheet who keeps the initiative, treasure xp etc for the campaign.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by ybn1197 »

I'm ok with any of those options. I can roll, or you all can roll for yourselves. Or you can send me a list of 20 for me to go through. What is everyone else's thoughts?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by shaidar »

I'm used to rolling individual initiative, but happy to go with whatever you want.

Game question: If I want to use Hold Person, is it enough to have an idea where your target is, or do you have to be able to see them.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by ybn1197 »

shaidar wrote:Game question: If I want to use Hold Person, is it enough to have an idea where your target is, or do you have to be able to see them.
Players Handbook pg. 193 wrote:The spell is centered on a point selected by the caster; it affects persons selected by the caster within the area of effect. If the spell is cast at three or four people, each gets an unmodified saving throw. If only two people are being enspelled, each makes his saving throw with a -1 penalty. If the spell is cast at only one person, the saving throw suffers a -3 penalty. Saving throws are adjusted for Wisdom. Those succeeding on their saving throws are unaffected by the spell. Undead creatures cannot be held.
It's Area of Effect so no you don't need to know exactly where they are. You just have to center the spell in the area of your targets.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by shaidar »

So, if we fail our save vs the light, what is the effect? Do we lose our action for the round, blinded for the round?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by ybn1197 »

shaidar wrote:So, if we fail our save vs the light, what is the effect? Do we lose our action for the round, blinded for the round?
You are blinded for the round if you fail your save. -4 to your actions unless you have Blind-Fighting and then it is -2. If you make your save, you shielded your eyes in time and there is no effect.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by shaidar »

Does a fail preclude the use of an area-of-affect spell?

I was going to have Thir cast Silence next to the elf

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#110 Post by tarlyn »

Can Tilthig activate his Blur innate ability in the same round he would attack a foe?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by ybn1197 »

shaidar wrote:Does a fail preclude the use of an area-of-affect spell?

I was going to have Thir cast Silence next to the elf
No, I'll allow an area-of-affect spell. It's not total blindness. Think about having your eyes dilated and then going outside without sunglasses. Everything is bright and blurry but you can see shapes.
tarlyn wrote:Can Tilthig activate his Blur innate ability in the same round he would attack a foe?
No, it may be an innate ability (meaning no Verbal or Somantic components) but it is still a spell requiring some form of concentration on what you are doing, spell or combat.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by shaidar »

so, the spells on those scrolls are from the Chaos sphere, which Thir has no access to. I assume that includes casting them from scrolls?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by ybn1197 »

Those characters able to read and employ scroll spells can do so regardless of other restrictions.
- p145 in the 2nd Edition Dungeon Master's Guide or p196 in the 2nd Edition Dungeon Master's Guide Revised.

I've always played that spheres indicate the type of magic your god can impart to you but a scroll is an independent source of power and therefore usable by all from the arcane or divine sides (depending on the source of magic in the scroll.)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by shaidar »

thanks for the clarification.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#115 Post by tarlyn »

shaidar wrote:so, the spells on those scrolls are from the Chaos sphere, which Thir has no access to. I assume that includes casting them from scrolls?
I think that is correct. On tabletop, for instance, my Elementalist can not cast any spells from certain schools....

be it on scroll or anything else.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by ybn1197 »

tarlyn wrote:
shaidar wrote:so, the spells on those scrolls are from the Chaos sphere, which Thir has no access to. I assume that includes casting them from scrolls?
I think that is correct. On tabletop, for instance, my Elementalist can not cast any spells from certain schools....

be it on scroll or anything else.
Tarlyn, I respect that was the ruling at your tabletop. However, I have always played that scrolls regardless of school or domain where usable by all appropriate casters. I understand the reasoning behind running scrolls the same as school requirements but I don't agree. I feel that the magic put into the scribing of the scroll is powerful enough to transcend that limitation. Just how I've always run it.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#117 Post by tarlyn »

No worries lol.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Rex »

There is a post up in Looking for players by Darklin2. He is interested in joining the game.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by ybn1197 »

Thanks Rex. He and I have been PM'ing over details.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Rex »

No problem.

Return to “Ruins of Undermountain (2e)”