Food Detail - Brana, Ornthalas

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Food Detail - Brana, Ornthalas

#1 Post by drpete »

After a fitful night's sleep, you are roused out of bed, and the group of you: Turvy, Buppido, the tiny mushroom man, Thoril, Ornthalas and Birbal are shuffled away to a duty by a group of two quaggoths.

You go across the rope bridge, through the guard post, then across another rope bridge, past the waterfall, and into a cave which seems to be a combination kitchen and mess hall. A pair of drow guards sit at a table, playing cards, apparently off duty. They are being watched by two other quaggoth who lurk near the edge of the room.

You are set the task of preparing a stew of mushrooms over a heavy iron brazier and cleaning up the room as your minders look on.

Turvy, the teenage deep gnome sulks and rolls his eyes. Buppido seems enthusiastic about the task. The little mushroom man doesn't speak, but he peeks into the bag of mushrooms and then starts making for the exit to the room...
Last edited by drpete on Wed May 01, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Food Detail - Thoril, Ornthalas, Birbal

#2 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thoril will slowly go about his required work with a grumble. He keeps an eye out for any tool or item that could be used to help free them from the cell or be used as a weapon for later to escape.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by drpete »

Buppido calls out, in Dwarvish:
"Don't-a let him get away!"
Then he moves over and blocks the slow moving little mushroom's path to the exit, and guides him back to the group.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by ybn1197 »

"Thank you Buppido. He doesn't understand what is going on but I am sure the contents of the bag must have disturbed him." Birbal gathers the myconid and ushers him back. "I know that must have been a shock my little friend but you are not on the menu," Birbal says, doubtful that the myconid can understand him but hopeful that his tone is calming.

Birbal will patiently go through the tasks presented to him, waiting to see if an opportunity arises to make an escape.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by drpete »

The little mushroom contracts, and a big cloud of dust (spores, actually) blows out of it, coating the group.

In your minds, you all hear "Please, help Stool! Stool needs to get home!"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#6 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

The elf will sullenly go about his required tasks, putting in the bare-minimum effort needed to avoid the ire of their captors. He will, however, be very vigilant, looking for an opportunity to discreetly pocket any sort of wire or similar item he could use as a lockpick, as well as something that could be used as a weapon.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by drpete »

You all hear Buppido's voice in your heads, now... "It'sa alright, little one. We will take care of you. You vill be al-a-right!"

Next, you hear the sullen voice of Turvy in your head "Oh man, really? What is this? Why are you in my head?... Wait, can you hear me?"

Scott308

#8 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

We will try to get you out, Stool. We will try to get everyone out, the elf attempts communicating with his thoughts. If we can communicate privately like this without our captors hearing, that can be a huge advantage in planning and executing our escape.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by drpete »

The little mushroom's voice in your heads says "Thank you! Stool is very scared! He is just a sprout!"

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by drpete »

After making the stew, you are set to work doing laundry for the outpost. This involves heating water on the fire, and scrubbing a lot of drow underwear.

Occasionally you catch glimpses of the other groups going about their tasks... bringing you water, or cleaning other areas of the outpost.

It becomes clear that the little mushrooms spores last for about an hour before the effect wears off.

Over the course of the day, Ornthalas notes that there is a fair amount of silk "webbing" used as a combination of decoration and as a way to hang things on the walls. This webbing is supported by little hooks, and Ornthalas is able to extract a small hook from a section of the wall.

This gives you an improvised lock pick. Since it's not great, you can use it to pick locks with disadvantage.

Scott308

#11 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

Ornthalas will pocket the hook, hiding it somewhere on his person it will not be obvious but he can retrieve it quickly if it becomes necessary. He will continue to go about his duties for the remainder of the shift, keeping an eye out for any gap in security- times where nobody seems to be paying attention to them, no guards are in sight, guards are distracted by something, etc. He will not act on any of these, he is looking for patterns.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by ybn1197 »

Birbal Fistmaul

Birbal will be looking for simple items that can easily be converted to weapons. Long handled cleaning implements can be used as quarterstaves, a wash basin can be turned into a shield. He will also note how the guards are armed and how ready to jump into combat they seem to be.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by drpete »

No one seems to notice Ornthalas' removal of the hook. Birbal does see that the kitchen is full of various things like brooms and ladles and pots of boiling water that could be used to attack someone. There are also chairs and such that could be smashed over people's heads. How efficient they would be against swords is an open question, though.

Over the course of his shift, Ornthalas does note that off duty guards tend to hang out here. When they do, they generally have their defenses down. In addition, he sees that there's not a *lot* of patrolling being done. The guards seem to primarily be stationed in a few places... at either end of the outpost and in the guard tower near the cell, with only a small handful of roaming guards on duty. Much of the activity in the outpost seems to be quaggoth wandering around doing errands, and off duty drow lounging around the barracks area.

After your shift, you are moved back to the cell with the others.

Please transition back to the main thread.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by drpete »

Food detail, day 2:
The quaggoth come in the morning, and take several of you with them to the kitchen area. They bring Brana, Ornthalas, Eldeth, Topsy and Stool to a combination dining room/ kitchen, where you are assigned to create mushroom stew.

The area is empty, except for your two quaggoth guards.

Eldeth sets to work washing her hands, seemingly resigned to her fate. Stool, the little mushroom man, wanders over to the dining tables, to clean them up.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Food Detail - Brana, Ornthalas

#15 Post by Rex »

Brana

Brana will keep an eye out for anything useful. If she thinks she can she will try stealing it and hiding it.

Perception [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14
Sleight of Hand [1d20+2] = 5+2 = 7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by drpete »

As she works, Brana notices a dagger left on a table by one of the Drow guards. She moves to pick it up, but one of the Quaggoth spotted her move. The large hairy guard holds out a hand, and tells you "Give. Now." It frowns impatiently as it watches Brana for any sudden moves.

A short distance away, Eldeth raises a hand to her mouth, worried for Brana. Topsy also pauses in her work, but her eyes brighten and her lips turn into a smirk.

Scott308

#17 Post by Scott308 »

Ornthalas Venlen

The elf will go about his chores today attempting to put forth an air of cheer. He will happily acquiesce to whatever tasks his captors have for him, attempting to engage them in small talk. He is on the lookout for anything that might be useful that he can grab, but also looking for any way out, any place that can get cut off from the rest of the cave- either to trap their captors or prevent them from getting to the escapees. He will also pay attention to any area that they don't go to directly so he can get the best lay of the land he can.
Dammit! I rolled two Nat 20s (one of them was Perception) for his activities for the day- but I accidentally rolled them under a different character. :x
Perception: [1d20+4] = 1+4 = 5
Sleight of Hand: [1d20+5] = 9+5 = 14
Investigation: [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21
Deception: [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by drpete »

Please make a move, or somebody roll initiative. :D

Inititative [1d20] = 9

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Brana

Brana decides her dream is a message to act. She grabs the dagger and tries to drive it home into the closest guard.

Initiative [1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17
Dagger [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16 to hit [1d4+2] = 1+2 = 3 damage

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by drpete »

You guys have initiative. You can act ahead of the Quaggoths. Note that if they do "just" an attack, while you move and attack, they may end up gaining initiative.

Note... with your restraints, you have disadvantage on attacks... Ornthalas?

Return to “Out of the Abyss (5e)”