EVENT: The Fall Festival

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

EVENT: The Fall Festival

#1 Post by Marullus »

The Fall festival will last at least an IG week. Rusty will post and oversee events. This advances the game clock - that means that all returning expeditions can participate freely together here and then depart for new expeditions if desired afterwards.

To that end, this is a "free space" on the clock. The IC roleplay happening at this festival can run concurrently with expeditions, as nobody will die during the festival.

If you post on the other locations in this area (visiting the Pilgrimage Fountain, private counsel with Lord Bremen in his chambers, visiting the display hall for Scatha's skeleton) just timestamp it as "During the Fall Festival"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: EVENT: The Fall Festival

#2 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

23 September 2021 - The Harvestide Festival (begins)

Just before 7:00 AM, the cocks' begin crowing, their calls muted in the early morning fog. The air has a slight chill, but it is but a memory once the fog has burned off. Though there is some light drizzle over the nights, Baudh's shows his favor of the White Tower during the festivities, allowing his golden sun shining down upon the festivities for over a week. The atmosphere in the Keep is festive, with local vendors, and some visiting from Gaul and the southlands, having made pilgrimages to not only peddle their wares, but also to see the White Tower and the Fountain of Absolution. The White knights of Baudhil make a show of their horsemanship and discipline, riding in a tight formation in the Plains beyond the curtain wall daily.

The weather stays much the same through the week, with lows overnight in the low 50's, and the daytime temperatures creeping into the 70's with clouds dancing pleasantly across the sky. The local inn is quickly sold out, as are the spare barracks. With the harvest in, a tent-city has popped up outside the Keep, spanning 2-3 bowshots from the low curtain wall. The Knights of Baudhil patrol the tent city to maintain the rule of law.

Father Clauson, Cleric of Baudh and Spiritual Advisor to his excellence, Lord Commander Bremen, announces the schedule of events and instructs participants to sign up with Jensen, his acolyte, who is sitting in a tent, taking names dutifully. In honor of Baudh's Might, all combats will be done on even footing, with participants using the same armor and weaponry. You will need to provide your own horses, though. Also, combatants will be using live blades, though I and my Brothers will not allow anyone to die here. And if a participant desires, healing can be found afterwards at the Fountain of Absolution. Father Clauson then invites all visitors and pilgrims to participate in devotions, It is our custom to lead devotions for daily, at dusk and at dawn. We shall have services both outside and inside the walls, as well as services in the White Tower, itself, with the Lord Commander. A donations of varying amounts are customary, of course. His smile is not unkind.

First off, this is my first foray into running a game, so bear with me, please! But please participate so I can get a better feel for it.

Room and Board options:
The Golden Scales Tavern.
The White Tower, where there are some old barracks; let's call that 2sp/night for staying so close to the Lord Commander, himself. :P
Tent City outside the curtain walls. Free, but you'll likely want to bring a tent, which can be purchased at the White Tower.
Board: just buy food (priced as the tavern) from the vendors and describe it! I cannot wait to see what you all describe!

Worship - unnecessary, mind you, but if you want to shed some coins...
Devotions outside the curtain wall - coppers
Devotions inside the Keep - silvers
Devotions (with Bremen) inside the White Tower - gold

This only works if you participate. This is Town, so you'll be safe. Even Markd. :P Just make a post that you're signing up with Jensen the Acolyte.

Events:
Please note that all martial competitions will be done with mundane weaponry and padded armour, provided by the White Tower. This is in tribute to Baudh. You'll just get your raw stat and level bonuses. The Clerics will be checking for magic.

Archery Contest - the White Tower will provide longbows, short bows, and crossbows, as well as throwing axes and knives. This is an elimination event, with the the top five scores moving to Round 2, then the top two scores moving to Round 3; the target moves farther for each round, per long bow ranges.
Melee Combat - the White Tower will provide padded armor, shields, and any sort of mundane weapon from the rule book.
Joust - This will be the exception, as the White Tower won't provide platemail or horses and barding for folks. So bring your own stuff, and the White Tower will provide wooden lances.
Story Telling - roll a [3d6] vs CHA; 350 words is a baseline. +1 for every 50 words over that. -1 for every 50 words less. Up to a max of +/-3. (150 words remains +3 to your roll, and 1000 words is capped at -3 to your roll.)

Prizes:
Winners get 100gp each, and an improved status at the White Tower.
Archery Contest - 1st - 2500gp (from Baxtaw), 100gp (from Bremen); 2nd - 1000gp (from Baxtaw); 3rd - 500gp (from Baxtaw).
Lug - round 1, 4 points
Baxtaw -
Akaara (Amistad's vassal) - round 1, 8pts
Stantz (Bremen's vassal) - round 1, 12pts
Billy, the horse boy (peasant) - round 1, 6 pts
Sir Piers - round 1, 8 points
Foxy - round 1,

Melee Combat - 1st - 100gp (from Bremen)
Baxtaw
Amistad
Lug
Sir Dirk Branson

Joust - 1st - 100gp (from Bremen)
Foxy O'Hare, Flame of the North
Sir Killian Haverford of the Vales

Story Telling - 1st - 100gp (from Bremen)
Godric (Amistad's vassal) 15-11= +4
Tocen (Foxy's vassal) - 10-7= +3

Clergy-Only Melee - prizes TBD: 1st - Grail Cup (from Isaachar),100 gp (from Father Clauson), and 200 gp (from Piers); Last - Scroll Against undead (from Able)
Isaachar
Ablesforth the Wayfarer
Father Clauson
Sir Piers Garrett, of Garrett's Abbey
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

From the house rules...
Marullus wrote:12. Monuments, Tributes, and the High Life

D. Living the High (Communal) Life

... If a PC is in town on a festival day, he or she may donate any amount of cash (and cash only) to assist in the celebrations. That PC immediately gains XP equal to the number of gold pieces donated, and of course the appreciation of the community.
Please say what you are spending it on, and mark the amount of XP in an OOC tag. I will add them to your sheets.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Wakes up stretches the morning the festival begins. Still enjoying the Bremens hospitality. Walks down to the main area, looks for a person in charge and says. I would to like give a donation of 5,000 gold pieces for the any of the competitions you may be having.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

A small guarded marquee is pitched in amongst the tented village assembling out the tower curtain. A heraldic kite shield bearing an embossed flaming scimitar over a dragon and wolf head greets onlookers. Several lances form a tripod from which the Duke of Gauls' pennons flutter mixed with tassles of dyed hair. The barded warhorse Galavan is picketted close by.

Children prance around the tent with firework sparklers made from phosphate tipped arrows.

Flame of the North is the name signed onto the jousting roll for the upcoming tourney.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Stirling »

Isaachar

Robed in rural black wool cloak with a fringed hem tainted in crimson, the priest of Gwanwen goes preaching among the peasant farmhands and construction workers. He offers to bless the work of their hands and fill their cistern. Well aware he is walking a Baudhic diocese, he declares, "Is there not a Baudhic priest or Eruannan pilgrim who can best me on the festival field? I offer my grail cup to honour my conqueror."

Isaachar doesn't expect to win many (or any) bouts but figures some flagellation will keep his soul humble.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Is this a challenge for melee combat with clerics, only? Or any devotees from any religion? Or was that Isaachar entering the melee? Or was it a challenge issued for a sermon? (The latter would be epic to read, by the way!!! And I would love to have Clay enter, if he wasn't off in the wilderness. Able might take up a sermonizing challenge though.)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Stirling »

Isaachar

Was thinking he would flail away in a melee bout against other ordained clergy. Gladiatorial combat is best left to fighter classes, he could hold his own in a battle of fire and brimstone sermons but I don't have time to write such.

"Harvest festival time and the Reaper scythes through the harvest field. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will thoroughly cleanse his threshing floor. He will gather his wheat into the barn, but the ungodly chaff he will burn up with unquenchable fire." his typical festive dour offering.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Dram »

Dram wrote:Baxtaw- Wakes up stretches the morning the festival begins. Still enjoying the Bremens hospitality. Walks down to the main area, looks for a person in charge and says. I would to like give a donation of 5,000 gold pieces for the any of the competitions you may be having.

23 September 2021 - The Harvestide Festival

Baxtaw decides to put his coin into the archery competition. 2500gp-1st place, 1000gp-2nd place, 500gp- 3rd place. Last 1000gp to go too nightly feasts till the end of tourney.

That should get some PC's posting join the festival
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

Stirling wrote:Isaachar

Was thinking he would flail away in a melee bout against other ordained clergy. Gladiatorial combat is best left to fighter classes, he could hold his own in a battle of fire and brimstone sermons but I don't have time to write such.
A cleric-only Melee is strongly supported by the Baudic clergy of the White Tower. (Named NPCs will fill out any empty slots in the bracket.) They relish the chance to chastise others in the name of the God of Might.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ablesforth, the Wayfarer, Devotee of Eruanna hears the rumors of a Clergy-only fight. He prays over this for a while before finally deciding. He hunts down Isaachar. Brother, I don't go 'round lookin' fer fights, since pain an' suffering are boundless in this world, but I think it'd be some great fun to spar with you and anyone else what might wanna tussle. He points out that every good tournament has a purse, and since the White Tower hasn't offered up any prizes, it is up to the contestants. I ain't got much, at present, but I can offer up a scroll 'gainst the undead, an' old broach I found. And I could put up my old, wooden holy symbol, which ain't worth much to no one but me... But what I think'll really make it int'restin' is if the winner has to heal those he done bested. And those what was bested has to pay the prohibitions of the winner's god or goddess. He holds out a large, calloused hand. What says ya?

Able will offer up as much gold as he can to this prize (for XP, of course), but that needs to be determined once the Demon Hole is finished.

EDIT: I've changed the prizes I've offered.

And I am adding in that Able is going to donate a bunch of gold (TBD) to set up a "Party Tent of the Poor Brothers," which will serve free soup and bread to the poor, put on puppet shows for children and adults-alike, and have a roller derby rink running around the perimeter.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

The initial post has been updated wtih sign-ups and prizes, along with who is providing the prizes for different contests. :)

After thanking Baxtaw for providing further prizes for the Archery competition, and asking if he intends to enter any of the lists, Lord Commander Bremen walks with a retinue of his knights both inside and outside of his Keep's walls, enjoying the fresh air, mild temperature, and sunshine. He makes a point to stop by each entrant's tent to thanks them for coming, and therefore making, the Harvestide Festival a success. He wishes each luck, and, if they are a follower of Baudh, reminds them that the Knights of Baudhil are always open to accepting a willing person to their ranks. Join us for our devotions, and enjoy sparring in our training room in the Tower.

When he crosses paths with Isaachar, penitent of Gwanwyn, he stops for a bit longer. Father Clauson informs me that you proposed the idea of a clergy-only melee. I want to thank you for that. Come and dine with me tonight.

When he finds Foxy O'Hare: Ma'am, I am the Lord Commander, Bremen. We met briefly at the Spring Festival in the archery lists. While I am pleased you have entered the joust, I had hoped you might also enter the archery competition as well. He pulls up a barrel and sits next to her fire. Ms. O'Hare, when last I passed through Gaul, word was that you had encountered a talking wolf, and then directed towards the heathen Wood-Witches of Beith. This does not concern me, but what does is that that beast then set upon a patrol of my men. The creature killed several of my men - all veterans, mind you. I intend to search the Yoldessi Plains and run it to the ground. What more can you tell me of this thing, for hind-leg-walking, talking wolves are nothing I have heard of. What is your impression of it? And what is more, what might it take to convince you to ride out and take your vengeance upon it? Gold? Gems? Jewels? Artifacts? Horses?

When that conversation has run its course he rises to leave. In doing so, he looks at the pennants from her lances and a look of confusion spreads on his face, but shrugs, saying nothing about an Eruannan choosing to fly the pennants of a Baudhic noble who has passed her over for lands and titles. I hope the Duke finds it in his grace to reward your representation here. I see he has few other champions. Truly, I wish you the best of luck, ma'am.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Stirling »

Isaachar accepts the invitation to dine.

"I find fasting is good for the soul and feasting for the heart. May the sun continue to shine on the righteous of Gaul and the unrighteous pilgrims gathered here today."

He takes a flagon of ale, a meaty hock and a hearty plate of beans. Chillied and curried varieties.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"I have heard of your rise from the rank of Captain. Now, you are Lord of all you survey. This demon from 'the blighted lands' is no ordinary wolf. It's jaws lust for the maidens of Gaul as much as that dragon of rage, Scatha sought; and even your knights do by the look of them. It seeks artifacts uncovered from ancient times.

Casper the White has knowledge of these. But the beast is not master of his own destiny, it serves another, a 'Greater One'. I have no vengeance to repay or claim on his pelt. Let it decorate your hearth along with those dragon bones. You want to find it? Make it come to you. Announce the orb taken by the group was a fake bauble and you have the real deal. Their could be wolves in sheeps clothing among us..."
Foxy gives a dirty look in the direction of the Gwanwen priest with the orcish look about him.

Reluctant to go traipsing around for an invisible creature, Foxy initially turns down the offer to join the hunt. The mention of horses rather than gold does not go amiss though.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Stirling wrote:Isaachar accepts the invitation to dine.

"I find fasting is good for the soul and feasting for the heart. May the sun continue to shine on the righteous of Gaul and the unrighteous pilgrims gathered here today."
I won't speak to righteousness of others, but as I said earlier, thank you for making the pilgrimage to join us here. I will see you this evening. Bremen leaves with his retinue, and once out of earshot they make wagers on how long the waify cleric will last against the other clergy.

Bremen smiles and twists his mustache while eying Foxy in an obvious manner. I assure you we are not a chaste Order, if that was worrying you. And I don't believe it's just Gaulish maids my men lust after. Most any girl, and perhaps a few boys will do, if I was to guess. We are an Order dedicated to serving Justice, and leave morality to others. Ours is a higher calling. He thanks Foxy for the information and ideas for luring the beast and wishes her well in her adventures.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Stirling »

and perhaps a few boys will do,
Foxy O'Hare

"Such is a cloistered life for you. I must be about my gamesmanship. Many men have tried to joust with me and put me on my back. All have failed so far, let us see if the White Tower has a knight in shining armour who may conquer."

She will mount her warhorse and take a lance from Tocen and go practice on the martial fields.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

Lug, deciding that the expedition to find centaurs and fairies is taking foreeeever, joins the festival. He signs up for the archery competition—with the usual grousing about how he used to have this totally awesome bow he got from a centaur named Xavro before some skeezy squirt stole it from him in a card game.

While waiting for the competition to start, Lug entertains the crowd with fire-related antics: There's the customary fire walking, but that's just a start. He builds a bonfire around himself, sets it alight from inside, and emerges from the embers unharmed. He stands on a wheelbarrow, sets himself on fire, and shouts, "I AM THE DWEAD PIWATE WOBERTS," (whatever that means), then puts the fire out with a touch of his sword. That sort of thing.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Enters the Archery competition. Answering Bremen. Yes I shall join the archery comp and the swordsmanship comp if there is one. After signing up for the archery comp. He walks around looking to see what competitions there may be.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

From the second post on this thread:
Archery Contest - 1st - 2500gp (from Baxtaw), 100gp (from Bremen); 2nd - 1000gp (from Baxtaw); 3rd - 500gp (from Baxtaw); Last - 1000gp (from Baxtaw).
Lug
Baxtaw

Melee Combat - 1st - 100gp (from Bremen)
Baxtaw

Joust - 1st - 100gp (from Bremen)
Foxy O'Hare, Flame of the North

Story Telling - 1st - 100gp (from Bremen)

Clergy-Only Melee - prizes TBD: 1st - Grail Cup (from Isaachar); Last - Scroll Against undead (from Able)
Isaachar
Ablesforth
Any ranged weapon can enter the archery competition, but will be at a disadvantage as the targets move farther away between rounds. So probably no dart throwers unless the magicians want to organize something like that in the Golden Scales Tavern

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Zhym »

Lug also joins the bashing—er, melee combat—competition.

Return to “(IC) Settlement - The White Tower”