Out of Character Chatter

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Out of Character Chatter

#21 Post by The Bindoner »

Stefano might pick up Streetwise. Maybe someone *was* doing something and Kiki and Stefano teamed up to find the actual guilty person(s).

Addendum: Since she last saw him Stefano has lost a lot of weight, toned up, and quit several bad habits.

Kiki would certainly have introduced him to enough interesting people to justify Streetwise.

While Kiki works as a broker, bringing together buyers and sellers, she would never expose decent honest criminals - as long as they respect the rules - she comes from a respectable Organised Crime family, and earned a place in it. Freelance most of her career, she is still "connected".

Kiki is a bit healthier, a bit more polished, and has picked up some bad habits. :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Leitz »

Interestingly, Stefano has his own connections. He is a Domici, which Kiki would easily equate to a "family". Much larger than most "families", a bit more legal, but very wide spread and into an extremely diverse line of pursuits. There probably haven't been too many places Kiki has been that haven't had a Domici something or other. Sub-units of the family can be as small as a mid-sized ship crew or as large as a planetary government.

Assuming the Domici have a leadership, Kiki probably thinks Stefano wasn't in it. (he wasn't) He spent too much time listening and very little time organizing others.

Ahimzhad, do you want me to post the Domici write up in the "campaign info" section?

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Leitz wrote:Interestingly, Stefano has his own connections. He is a Domici, which Kiki would easily equate to a "family". Much larger than most "families", a bit more legal, but very wide spread and into an extremely diverse line of pursuits. There probably haven't been too many places Kiki has been that haven't had a Domici something or other. Sub-units of the family can be as small as a mid-sized ship crew or as large as a planetary government.

Assuming the Domici have a leadership, Kiki probably thinks Stefano wasn't in it. (he wasn't) He spent too much time listening and very little time organizing others.

Ahimzhad, do you want me to post the Domici write up in the "campaign info" section?
Yes that would be quite helpful.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Leitz »

Ahlmzhad wrote:Yes that would be quite helpful.
Done. My assumption is that Kiki would know that Stefano is a Noble, in the standard sense, but not a leader, in the Domici sense.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#25 Post by Ahlmzhad »

I love the Stefano v Kiki correspondence!!!!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Leitz »

Ahlmzhad wrote:I love the Stefano v Kiki correspondence!!!!
I'd like it a little more if storms didn't cause us to shut down the network and then afterward brain cells remembered it was my turn to post.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by The Bindoner »

We had gales and rain, but the wires stayed up.

Stefano will recall that Kiki is from a respectable organised crime family. Went to the right schools, accepted at all the society events - but not nobility, no. Her family had power and money though, her father being head of operations on her homeworld. Three generations without anyone going to jail, an aunt in politics... with a bit less murder and outright robbery they might not count as criminals at all. :)

Re TAS lounge greeting: IRL I hate those cheek-”kissing”, mwah-mwah greetings my wife's friends do. But apparently they are something everyone has to endure...

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Hope you all have not felt abandoned. First weekends are busy for me so my replies then will always be less frequent and regular. I'm adjusting to pbp so my timing is probably a bit off. You guys had all come in blazing with story so I was letting you go. We'll get it figure out. Please let me know if you feel like I'm missing something. I'd rather have my shortcomings pointed out than cause the fun to slip away.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Leitz »

The Bindoner wrote:We had gales and rain, but the wires stayed up.

Stefano will recall that Kiki is from a respectable organised crime family. Went to the right schools, accepted at all the society events - but not nobility, no. Her family had power and money though, her father being head of operations on her homeworld. Three generations without anyone going to jail, an aunt in politics... with a bit less murder and outright robbery they might not count as criminals at all. :)

Re TAS lounge greeting: IRL I hate those cheek-”kissing”, mwah-mwah greetings my wife's friends do. But apparently they are something everyone has to endure...
We tend to have lots of lightening and I don't want to replace all the gear. The whole "cheek kissing" thing actually makes sense when done right. The modern day faux sincerity ruins it; among sincere people like Stefano it does mean friendship, even if they don't agree on something. There's a connotation of "I consider you important".

Kiki likely remembers that Stefano, while a noble, worked as a regular broker for the first part of his career. He persevered through rough times and had just recently become attached to the Duke's entourage when Kiki was on the job. He seems to view her as a peer socially and in business matters. She is also probably going to realize that he knows a lot about a lot of people and but remains circumspect.

Humorously, Stefano's personality is such that if he met Kiki's parents her dad might want to suggest a business relationship. Mom might have other ideas.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by The Bindoner »

Stefano will remember that Kiki, while loyal to her family and in no way opposed to its business, decided to make her own way as a freelance broker ( after proving her ability by earning a place in the organisation ).

I think my wife's circle are brought up with the cheek kiss, and it is sincere for them - they just greet family and friends that way. It is not part of my cultural heritage, and I will never get used to it - I just "lie back and think of England" and hope it's over soon. :lol:
it sounded as if she still prefered to guard herself
Kiki's whole career has been connecting thieves with buyers. A certain amount of precaution is to be expected.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by Ahlmzhad »

The Bindoner wrote:Stefano will remember that Kiki, while loyal to her family and in no way opposed to its business, decided to make her own way as a freelance broker ( after proving her ability by earning a place in the organisation ).

I think my wife's circle are brought up with the cheek kiss, and it is sincere for them - they just greet family and friends that way. It is not part of my cultural heritage, and I will never get used to it - I just "lie back and think of England" and hope it's over soon. :lol:
Kiki's whole career has been connecting thieves with buyers. A certain amount of precaution is to be expected.
I'll agree. That is not in my cultural background and here on the East Coast it's prevalent. It just makes me uneasy, much prefer a good handshake.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Leitz »

The Bindoner wrote:
Not a negative comment from Stefano; understanding where she comes from lets him keep it in perspective.

I'm from the US-South East and don't do the kissy faced thing. We lived in Italy for a bit, though, and it was more natural than what I've seen here.

On Stefano and Kiki, I'm going of the mindset that she would know her stuff. If there's anything you'd want to know, let me know.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Leitz »

OOC: Stefano is talking business with Kiki. He is asking her if she is back with her family's organization or if she is 'mostly' legit. How does she define what her 'opportunities' might look like? From his tone and body language he seems much less driven than Kiki remembers. While years ago he would have politely asked how her family was doing because it is form; now there is depth to both the open and the hidden meaning of his words. He really would like to know how her father is doing.

Addendum: it is obvious that Stefano isn't probing Kiki to tell any secrets, just talking with an awareness of where they are.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by The Bindoner »

Kiki is letting Stefano hear that she is still an independent operator ( though only "legit" in the sense that she hasn't been proven to know the items she trades are stolen ), and probably always will be. But the option of returning to the family business is still there, if she eats some humble pie ( which dish is not to her taste ). Her answers about her family are more open than they would have been before, but not indiscreet - anyone closely involved with the family could guess as much.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Leitz »

I think most of it is clear. Stefano is noting that he is a bit less "rigid" than he was back then, and even then he respected Kiki's skills. Perhaps they can work together again? While she knows he can obfuscate words and meanings he is effectively setting out a broker's deal in plain language. He had a reputation for dealing honestly and that seems to have stuck with him. Kiki probably understands that if she agrees he will meet or exceed the terms provided.

And, of course, he still drinks wine. :)

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Leitz »

Just for note, Kiki would recognize Stefano's statements as standard brokerage language. He's not says *she* can't stay quiet, he's just being overt about not discussing terms of the deal, etc. As she noted, no slight intended.

On a different note, let me ask you about "partner". While not long term, Stefano is recognizing Kiki's talents and offering her a larger slice as well as more decision influence than simply as a broker or acquirer. In his mind there is a sense of "I don't know what this deal will be about but I have a known talent right here." There's no innuendo in the conversation but a bit if "this could be bigger than we're used to dealing with".

I assume Kiki would discern that, despite my writing skills. How would she respond and what might Stefano see in her reaction?

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by The Bindoner »

Just for note, Kiki would recognize Stefano's statements as standard brokerage language. He's not says *she* can't stay quiet, he's just being overt about not discussing terms of the deal, etc. As she noted, no slight intended. 
Kiki's reaction was a bit of IC colour. Revealing that the facade has cracks, where the person shows through. I meant to write an OOC post to explain it, but there is a shortage of time.
On a different note, let me ask you about "partner". While not long term, Stefano is recognizing Kiki's talents and offering her a larger slice as well as more decision influence than simply as a broker or acquirer. In his mind there is a sense of "I don't know what this deal will be about but I have a known talent right here." There's no innuendo in the conversation but a bit if "this could be bigger than we're used to dealing with".
I understood the word “partner” to mean a business relationship, not a personal one, sorry if I was ambiguous in my writing. Kiki is thinking ( at this stage ) “this looks like a good opportunity, I should be part of whatever it is”, but not committing to forming a long-term partnership – a joint brokerage, so to say – at the moment. Intrigued by the possibilities, but reluctant to compromise her independence. Back on the Royal Barge she was invited along as a guest with a useful talent for finding the right people with the right commodity, rather than being a formal part of the trading operation. From that time she recalls that Stefano is an honest dealer, and is flattered to be offered the chance to work together by him.

So: Interested, but guarded. Trying to appear casual rather than eager, while working out how to secure a part of whatever the deal is.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Leitz »

Very cool. I read this a few times and it pushes me to think of Stefano's challenges. What I have so far is that he's always been in a comfortable spot. Even when times were tough at his original agency he was young, no bills, and stuck it out. He's developed a longer term view and mental endurance. However, he's always been in the advisor role. It wasn't his money at risk, or his estates to protect. He worked for someone and generally they provided at least minimal needs.

I see Kiki as having a sharper edge; she's been in the rough times and succeeded. She's dealt with a rougher class of people, too. While Stefano can make hard decisions well he's not as used to it as Kiki. She will see things he misses; a good example is her displayed defensive measures.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by The Bindoner »

Another note I had in mind:

That readiness to take offence and react to it is an Arquez family trait – the instinct to perceive a challenge and respond with aggression. It is a character flaw in polite society, but an asset when dealing with the criminal fraternity. Kiki has a mild form of it, and has learned to recognise and suppress the impulse. Unless it is the appropriate response...

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Leitz »

Hey all, work and commitments started chewing up my time. Bindoner, I can summarise the supper conversation if you like, at least from Stefano's perspective. On the assumption that the two characters see the temporary joint venture as a good idea, he will discuss Antil Orlovski's request for a meeting. He'll add what little he knows about Vloxmar and the potential topic of long jump but stress that it's only guesses. The meeting is for (tomorrow) afternoon, if she can find and share anything by noon he'll use it as best he can and then meet with her afterwards to discuss.

Thoughts?

Return to “Space Rats Campaign (1st Ed Mongoose Traveller)”