On Board the Space Port Albion

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: On Board the Space Port Albion

#121 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Upon his exit from Stefano's office D'Arcy is met by the assistant who brought him here. She asks him to wait a minute. Stepping in the room she confirms the decision is to hire him. She then takes him to a small office where he is given the contract to sign. He is offered 200kcr for the year, and he has the same investment opportunity as the others. If he signs he will be supplied with the security badge, handheld, and comms that mark him as a Vloxmar employee. He is also given the key card to a small company suite for his use until departure.

The assistant while in the room will have informed Stefano and Kiki that their admin was ready for the meet and greet.

Julianne Agonte, a slight and somewhat awkward woman of 30, who though has shown herself to be a top notch admin, she also has shown herself to be a great asset on the ground as well, with a keen insight into people and situations. She has successfully served as the Steward on a liner in her way up the company chain. Outside of that she has a wide range of skills (comms, comps, broker, trade, vacc suit). No skills outside her function at a high level, but enough experience with people and space to be an asset if needed.

Then comes the CFO. Bren Regus is a trading house accountant of the first degree. He will be able to handle the money, and the banking negotiations as needed. His record is superb.

After that you have time to concentrate on your team meeting planning.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#122 Post by atpollard »

The security guard watched with raised eyebrows as Fred passed through the scanners and into the lobby. No one attempted to stop him or intercept his strange package. While peculiar, the contents posed no significant danger.

”I came as soon as I could. Mr Orlovski said to be here at nine, but I had to stop and get something first. They really were not happy to have me show up early, but I didn’t know what might happen after the ‘basic employee things’. He did say to be ready with the things I will need, and this is one of them.” said Fred.

He followed his guide, the package under his arm wrapped in cloth, but not well enough to stop the larger metal parts from clanking together.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#123 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Fred's guide says "we have workspace set up for you, and you will have access to the ship as well. Mr Orlovski felt you might want to see what space on board you had to work with so that you can better choose your materials and equipment."

You move into the central outer section, and are taken to ships dock. There you are shown a small cubicle work space with a desk and some space. You are shown where the work shop is, and it is fully stocked with any tools or devices you might need. At the ship are you introduced to the two crew members who happen to be about. A couple of Gunners/Grunts Tiberius and Devon.

You all have been informed that there is going to be a crew meeting at 2 pm in one of the conference rooms here in the dock area.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Stirling »

Tiberius

Gets some of the other 'grunts' to give Fred a proper welcome on board. They march up and down the corridor outside his workshop with their martial weapons shouldered, dressed only in flak jacket and underpants. Clutching their groins, they sing in unison, "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun."

dragoner
Scout
Scout

#125 Post by dragoner »

Taking a sip from a steaming mug of China Black Gunpowder Tea, is Dev, a space thin guy in a ship board jumpsuit, Belter tattoos peeking out from around the collar, socks and sandals. "Tiberius." Nodding, watching the greeting spectacle with a smile of approval. "Howdy Fred, long time no see, new digs huh? Looking sweet."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Leitz »

Stefano stood and shook hands with Ms. Agonte. "Please, have a seat. Call me Stefano unless something formal is needed".

"You are going to be run ragged until we're in jump, have about three and a half seconds to breathe, and then back to work."Stefano smiled. "Here's an example of things that need doing as quickly as possible. Ensure the best sensor operators aboard have access to all scannable system data for the routes and targeted systems. The question they need to answer is, should we carry one or more probes to gather more data. Since we will be there an extended time it may give us marketable recordings. Next, and you are probably one of the better people to lead this though discussion with others would help; what academic organizations on this side would have funds to set up a small research team on the other side in a way that Vloxmar can profit from? Use the sociological and scan data we have and bounce the idea around in your head. The goal is to get things we need to look into there to come back and sell the idea here on. Of course, educating ourselves on new cultures wouldn't be a bad idea either."

"Same 'this side data' for art and antiquities collectors, Ms. Arquez is an excellent resource for that. Next, ship board emblem. For standard duty clothes aboard a good use of symbology and dramatic artwork. Ensure the ship captain and crew are in line with the idea, and if they already have a great one that fits the mission then please ensure we have appropriate clothing. Ensure the clothing provided has a decent amount of kinetic and energy defenses and computers built in."

"Two more things, one real and one not so much. The latter first; you are an invaluable team member and will be called upon to fit into the roles we decide best for success. Ms Arquez and I have been joking about mistresses of multiple definitions. When we discuss this, please understand that we are discussing mission roles, not mandating actions for career progression."

He sipped. "Excellent blend. Healthy too, which becomes more important to me the older I get. Last item to keep in your planning. Your career progression is good; it shows drive and long term effort. I assume you have plans for what might come after this. You can assume that letting me know how I can help you achieve those goals will help me help you. As I said, you are going to be run ragged the entire time. Let's make sure you're running in a direction you want to go, shall we?"

"Any questions?"

OOC: Stefano is polite and driven with Ms Agonte.

Stefano stood to meet the CFO as well. "Mister Regus, good to meet you. Please, have a seat. Call me Stefano unless we need otherwise."

"I assume you know Ms. Agonte, and the charming lady there is Ms. Arquez. You and I need to work out percentages of bonus options available and you need to figure out how to best transfer exchangeable funds between here and there. I would love to hear your thoughts on that, as would the ladies."

OOC: Let Regus explain how the idea of currency exchange will work given the distances, etc.

"Okay everyone, a thirty minute break to stretch our legs and get some fresh recycled air. Ms Agonte, can you see if the ship's captain or first officer is available to join us? I want them as engaged in the mission as we are. Mister Regus, you'll be first briefer to the team on general banking and commerce systems we expect to be dealing with. Ms Agonte, cultural leaders and power players. Ms Arquez, rough guesses of the types of collectables likely to build a boutique market here. The captain can brief us on the ship and then give us a tour."

"Any questions?"

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by The Bindoner »

Kiki takes a background role while Stefano talks with the Vloxmar people, prefering to let him establish his relationship with them.
 Ms Arquez, rough guesses of the types of collectables likely to build a boutique market here.
That is a hard question to answer without having seen the products of their culture. In general I would suggest jewellery, as a low volume, high value item that will sell in any market. New designs are always appealing. It is possible painting or other visual media might be marketable. That would require market makers here though. The same would apply to clothes and sculpture. Really, I will have to see what there is before I can judge. There is no metric to art.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#128 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Well the meeting has come. {Stefano I'll let you set the agenda - other party members please note your attendance and anything else you want to be known about your presence at the meeting}

NPC's in attendance

Regus the CFO
Agnote Vloxmar Liason
Stryker McCue Ships Captain (Former Navy, Small craft commander)
Conner Harlan Ships Navigator/Co-Pilot (Former Navy and Vloxmar Liner Officer)
Ivan Krupnik Ships Comms/Science Officer (Former Scout)
Brandt Krieg Ships Crew Team Lead (Former Marine)
Resolution Farsky Crew Member (Former Navy)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Spearmint »

D'Arcy

attends the meeting. He stands aloof in a corner, mirror lens sunglasses on so folk can't see where he's seeing. (actually his eyes are closing, team meetings bore him and it has been a long day).

At least he gets introduced to people, so begins to fits names with roles.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#130 Post by atpollard »

FRED
12:30 PM
Stirling wrote: "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun."
Fred smiled uncertainly at the display "Uhhh ... thanks? Pleasure to meet you." [pause] "I hope you understand if I don't offer to shake hands."
dragoner wrote:"Tiberius."
"An interesting fellow." Fred smiled.
dragoner wrote:"Howdy Fred, long time no see, new digs huh? Looking sweet."
"Dev, a pleasant surprise to encounter a familiar face on this exciting adventure." The package in Fred's arms clanked as he shifted it awkwardly to extend a hand to Dev in greetings. Eventually the package just fell on the floor and Fred left it there. "This is indeed a most impressive vessel," Fred shrugged "although I am hardly an expert on such things. If the workshop is any indication, they have spared no expense and equipped it well. I suppose we will learn more at the briefing."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#131 Post by atpollard »

FRED
2 PM
Ahlmzhad wrote:Well the meeting has come. {Stefano I'll let you set the agenda - other party members please note your attendance and anything else you want to be known about your presence at the meeting}
Fred was sitting in a chair trying not to think about all of the people in the room wearing military uniforms. He hadn't expected such a strong Navy and Marine presence on a trade mission. Polishing and fine engraving of the Cylinder for his nearly complete revolver occupied his full attention ... anything to take his mind off of thoughts about being surrounded by soldiers in a war. Soon this Stefano chap would get started and Fred would have something new to focus on; the mission. The TRADE MISSION, he thought as he worked on his beautiful gun. It was really going to be a nice gun ... of course Fred thought that about every Gun he worked on.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Stirling »

Tiberius

Seems not needed. His on ship role is unclear but he suspects with his experience he will help Harlan the navigator and Kreig the crew leader, possibly in flying the small craft (grav ship, boat, shuttle) and leading any boarding attempts. He currently checks out the turrets and gunnery systems to check all is in order.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by The Bindoner »

Kiki attends, dressed for meeting one of her buyers rather than as a corporate, with Hugi on her shoulder and Ruslan, his white fur immaculate, at her side. She intends to observe rather than participate, but playing the silent woman has always been an effort of will.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Leitz »

Stefano had placed his comp at a seat that was neither at the end nor at the center. As each person came in he greeted them personally; asking about family or events as suitable. He then pointed out those already in the room, and then encouraged them to take qana, fruits, power bars, or whatever they needed from the food table as they introduced themselves around.

At 1359 he shut the door and smiled."Anyone late foots the bill for the food." He said.

"Welcome, everyone. I'm Stefano Domici, the mission lead. You'll have met everyone else by now, or in the next day or so. Over the course of the next several months I'm sure we'll all get to know each other more than we care to." Stefano slowly walked around the far side of the table as he talked. "The bad news first, team meetings here at zero nine each day. We have a lot of preparation to get done in a very short time. The good news is that unless you're a team lead you can skip them. Captain McCue, designate for the ship crew. Julianne, Kiki, Bren, D'Arcy; no choice, sorry. Everyone else, consider the invitation open and if you need to speak to me or anyone else, please do so."

"The standard trade mission buys trinkets low, sells high, and can sometimes make a ten to one gross profit. Free Traders do it all the time. Of course, many of them barely scrape by just long enough to pay the bills until a major corporation seizes the market with a ship ten times larger and margins significantly wider. It's a losing game."He paced a little more. "Let's not play that one. We have a technologically advanced ship that gives us a first to market advantage for a finite amount of time. A competitor can either buy a ship like ours or sabotage us until they can build their own. Corporate espionage is a real threat, Mister D'Arcy functions as our security chief."

"I was on a venture as liaison and we ran into a competition with two other entities to gain the favor of a local warlord. Widgets and trinkets were heaped upon the man to no avail. Half in jest one of the corpsmen pointed out that the warlord was elderly and maintained a large retinue of wives, mistresses, paramours, etc. Local technology hadn't yet discovered a good supply of male performance supplements." Stefano smiled. "Everyone laughed for a moment and then froze. That was it! Our team won the warlord, the corpsman earned a sizeable bonus, and our competition didn't find out for months. It was a profitable venture for both sides."

"Our mission isn't to ride in and pillage natural resources. Too short term, and the technology only supports smaller ships. No decent profit margin. We will carry trinkets and widgets and use them long enough to establish ourselves as viable. What we really want to sell is solutions. Everyone has problems, how can we solve them? There will be trade, but money will pass hands and friendships made. Even when our competition arrives we will, because of your work, continue to profit. Continue to solve problems. Perhaps some of you will choose to retire there, who knows? I'm certain there will be profits to be made for a good long while. However, like my friend the corpsman, you need to bring your skills to bear on the problem and work on ideas to help us succeed. Don't just pilot a ship or carve some metal; look at the people we interact with. What issues do they have? What can we possibly sell to keep the venture profitable?"

"A few short briefings. Mister Regus will introduce the remote monetary and financial systems. Ms. Agonte will brief us on political leaders and behind the scenes power players. Ms. Arquez is well versed on types of things the average super rich person likes to accumulate, and then Captain McCue if you could give us a tour and briefing of the ship. Any questions?"

dragoner
Scout
Scout

#135 Post by dragoner »

Dev

Space gaunt, I ghost in before the door closes, and grab a chair next to Fred or Kiki, back to the wall, as much as possible, never like to have my back towards a door I can't watch. Everyone's here, and I'm a gunner, grunt, YALA, whatever. I act like I'm paying attention, it's good enough, more curious about the ship's crew, I know Stefano, so that's cool.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by The Bindoner »

Kiki regards the latecomer coolly as he sits nearby. Slowly the sense of familiarity grows to possible recognition. Is that... Dev? Disappeared years ago. Wasn't he crippled or dead?

dragoner
Scout
Scout

#137 Post by dragoner »

The Bindoner wrote:Kiki regards the latecomer coolly as he sits nearby. Slowly the sense of familiarity grows to possible recognition. Is that... Dev? Disappeared years ago. Wasn't he crippled or dead?
Seeing Keeks see me, I make a duck face, raising my eyebrows as I look around the room just a bit, as if to see who's she's looking for. Then giving a friendly sly grin, like 'so we meet again' ... She does look to be doing well for herself, I was always impressed by her drive.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by The Bindoner »

This could be awkward.

Kiki finds most of her attention is taken up in maintaining a calm and professional demeanor, so a lot of the detail of the meeting will have to be replayed by Hugi later.

dragoner
Scout
Scout

#139 Post by dragoner »

Dev isn't trying to cause any consternation on anyone else's part, and while his attention is not exactly rapt (meetings like this are always about going up and down a pole like glowing up a yo-yo), try to parse what it means for him. Chain of command puts him under McCue, contracted out by Vlox, for crap pay too, no wonder when they used to take ships, Gunners were usually quick to turn on their officers. Trust is for fools, oaths and orders don't create loyalty, everyone has their price, and who you thought you could trust is the first to put a gun to the back of your head and pull the trigger.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#140 Post by atpollard »

FRED
Leitz wrote:"Any questions?"
Fred timidly raised his hand and patiently waited to be acknowledged.

"An inspiring talk, sir, and no doubt fully sincere, but ... " Fred paused to carefully frame his next words. He was never a fast on his feet thinker, like some, but he eventually arrived at the right answer through perseverance. "... the wealthy have the luxury of thinking in the long term, but most people live their lives in the short term. Since this mission affects the life of everyone involved and it has been my experience that people who are invested in a venture increase the performance of that business venture, we need a distribution of profits and power that encourages everyone to feel a sense of both ownership and loyalty."

"There was a political partnership that faced the issue of inequality between the partners. If power was divided equally among the partners, then that seemed unfair to the partners who had invested more resources. If the power was divided based on the resources invested, then the smaller shareholders rightly feared that a powerful minority might control the fate of the majority. Their political solution was to divide the power in half, so that both the majority by shares and the majority of partners had to agree on an action that impacted all of the partners." Fred shrugged "Once we leave, it will not be possible to just quit and easily return here, or to appeal to those who originally hired us. Thus any decision that impacts the entire mission, impacts everyone on it. The majority need assurance that they will not be prisoners of the will of the minority if they are expected to contribute optimally. At the same time, those who invested the most need assurance that they will not fall victim to a mutiny by a disenfranchised majority."

"The solution which I propose is a division of power. Your corporate hierarchy will make all day to day decisions, but any decision which impacts the entire ship ... like where to jump next, as an example ... must be approved by a majority of the team members on this mission. Thus those "in charge" have the power to veto the majority, and the majority have the power to veto "those in charge". The path taken by the mission will be that agreed upon by both those in charge and the majority of team members."

Fred stood "I believe that the same principles should be applied to division of the profits. I acknowledge that some have invested more money than others, but the reality is that if all it took was money, then we would have a much smaller crew. Everyone should have a gain when the ship makes money and a loss when the ship looses money. It is a darn good motivator. So the profit should be divided in half. one half should be distributed based on the initial investment share of each crew member. The other half should be divided equally among all crew members."

Fred paced around to face Stefano. "To show how strongly I feel about this," he said, "I am willing to include both my bonus earning for weapons produced and percentage of future profits on new patents in the potential earnings for the ship and its crew. I am all in. Are you willing to go all in? Sir."
Last edited by atpollard on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Space Rats Campaign (1st Ed Mongoose Traveller)”