Episode 0: Breburh

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Group 2, Episode 0: Breburh

#101 Post by dmw71 »

Computer +1 wrote:Urth tries his best to make this encounter short, he casts Hellish Rebuke and targets the Thug Leader... Do i roll for this or is just a save from whom I am aiming at?
I responded to this, here.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#102 Post by BearSiren817 »

Catarina adds to whoever can hear her. At this point not worrying if the other group can hear, as her intention was to draw them towards her to begin with, “Targarious! Don’t try anything behind my friends backs!”
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by Computer +1 »

As I totally screwed up the spell, I would like to amend Urths spell choice to Eldritch Blast
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#104 Post by Scott308 »

Dureau Sathaos

The cleric takes a few steps to his right as he points at the bandit leader. Suddenly, an eerie bell begins to toll.
Initiative: [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18]
Toll the Dead (WIS 13): [1d8] = 1; if injured: [1d12] = 11
Need a WIS save DC 13 from the leader to avoid taking damage.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#105 Post by dmw71 »

Initiative Order
  • 22: Catarina
  • 21: Targarious
  • 19: Bandits
  • 18: Dureau
  • 12: Urth
  • 7: Grimbul
  • 5: Kañ-Demir
  • 1: Thug
----

Round 1
"Go for the leader and let the rest flee," Catarina purrs as she quickly unslings her bow, and brings an arrow to the drawstring. "And don’t try anything behind my friends backs!" she directs to Targarious, the newly accepted member to the group, before darting diagonally to her right. The half-cat comes to a stop after roughly 15-feet, lets loose a well-placed arrow, and admires her success as she slinks back again, returning to a spot maybe 10-feet to the right of her original position. The targeted half-orc thug howls in pain as Cat's arrow sinks past his defenses and sinks into his right shoulder.

Targarious shrugs off the warning as he drifts in the opposite direction. Unslinging his own short bow, he takes aim at the leader... then sinks an arrow into the thug's left thigh. Blood begins to still from the wound, which seemed to strike a vital area.

The spear, battle axe, and longsword bandits creep forward, stopping just short of the area where the heavy brush sprouts. With Catarina focused on the leader, the bandit with the bow takes advantage of this distraction and sinks a well-placed arrow through the half-cat's fur; Cat yelps in pain as she begins to nurse the heavy wound she suffered.

Dureau takes a few steps to his right and points at the bandit leader with a gauntleted hand. An eerie bell begins to toll momentarily, and the thug leading the ambush falls to his knees, bringing his gloved hands to his ears as he seems to suffer from some unseen attack.

Urth, heeding Cat's suggestion to target the leader, sends beam of crackling energy streaking towards the already heavily wounded half-orc thug wrestling some effect from his knees... who growls in pain.

The pained scream ends as the leader collapses forward, unmoving!

Grimbul, who had the thug in his targets with a longbow, takes aim at the bandit with a battle axe that stopped maybe 10-feet in front of him. His arrow slips past the bandit's shield, striking true, landing square in the abdomen of his target... who begins gasping for air, suggesting the arrow may have pierced his lung.

Kañ-Demir, whom had thoughts of just handing the egg over, watches as the opposing leader falls... and is thankful voicing his initial thought was necessary. He readies his quarterstaff, but finds no target.
G2R1.jpg
G2R1.jpg (136.73 KiB) Viewed 742 times

"Fuck this!", and a chorus of similarly phrased expressions, echo from the leaderless bandits, who turn their backs and clearly indicate their intent to flee.

---

Please declare any actions and/or movement.

---

Date: 07 Kythorn 1489
Time: 20:35
  • Sunrise: 05:56
  • Sunset: 21:03
Moon: Half
Temperature
  • Low: 55°
  • High: 71°
Conditions
  • Precipitation: None
  • Wind: Still
Light Sources
  • None
Known Conditions
  • None
Spells in Effect:
  • None
---

Character Status
  • BearSiren817 | Dr. Catarina Jones | Tabaxi | Rogue (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Neutral | Gender: Female | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 9-7 = 2 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' (Climb: 20') | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
    • Passive Senses
      • Perception: 16
      • Investigation: 12
      • Insight: 14
      Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarvish, Thieves’ Cant
      Spells: None.

Features:
      • Feline Agility: 1
        • When you move on your turn in combat, you can double your speed until the end of the turn.
        • Recovery: You can’t use it again until you move 0 feet on one of your turns.
      • Cat’s Claws:
        • You have a climbing speed of 20 feet.
        • You deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier (1d4-1).
      • 1st: Expertise (Perception, Stealth)
      • 1st: Sneak Attack (1d6)
      • 2nd: --
      Background: Far Traveler
      • Feature: All Eyes on You
        • Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps even your appearance all mark you as foreign. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your homeland.

You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in hearing about your distant homeland and people.
  • Computer +1 | Urth Stormwind | Human | Warlock (1) | Alignment: Lawful Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 10 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: No
  • GreyWolfVT | Grimbul Graybeard | Dwarf (Hill) | Ranger (1) | Alignment: Neutral Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d10) | HP: 14 | AC: 15 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
  • Pulpatoon | Kañ-Demir | | Dwarf (Hill) | Monk (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 11 | AC: 15 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
  • Scott308 | Dureau Sathaos | Human | Cleric (1) | Alignment: Lawful Neutral | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 10 | AC: 18 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: No
  • Dram | Targarious LongShank | Half-Elf | Rogue (1) | Alignment: Neutral Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d6) | HP: 10 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
[/list]

Rolls
-- Project --

-- DM --
BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#106 Post by BearSiren817 »

Catarina yelps. Her tail bristles in anger. She aims at the bandit who shot her, ignoring her own prior recommendation to let them flee once the leader was dead.

Shortbow:
([1d20+5] = 4+5 = 9 [1d6+3] = 1+3 = 4)

Feeling the effects of her wounds she knows her shot was off as soon as she lets the arrow fly.

She moves behind Dureau.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Pulpatoon »

As the bandits flee, Kañ-Demir moves forward to inspect the Thug Leader.

If still alive, Kañ-Demir will tie him up, and suggest hauling him back to their employer. If dead, he will inspect the body for anything that seems significant.
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#108 Post by Computer +1 »

Urth Stormwind

Those of us who can see should help those who can't get out of here as quick as possible. He takes a few cautious steps away further from the barn and towards their next meeting point.
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Dram »

Targarious takes a shot at the bandit that shot at Catarina.

S. bow tohit[1d20] = 10, todam[1d6] = 6

I dont know what +' are for my attack roll. Where would I find this info.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#110 Post by dmw71 »

End
After watching their thuggish leader get peppered with attacks and fall dead in a matter of seconds, the accompanying bandits turn and flee. Catarina and Targarious take parting shots, with the later's shot finding its mark, but, unless the group begins to pursue, the bandits manage to successfully flee.

Kañ-Demir slowly approaches the fallen half-orc leader and begins searching through the thug's possessions. Dangling from strings tied to the thug's belt are a pair of tiny horses, made of woven wool, which look as if they would twirl when the wearer walks. The thug also has a pouch.

"Those of us who can see should help those who can't," Urth suggests, taking a few cautious steps deeper into the brush and away from the barn. "Let's get out of here as quick as possible." he urges.

After a few minutes of uninterrupted focus, the group finds comfort in the fact that they don't sense they're still being followed.

---

Actions?

---

Time: 20:38
Temperature
Conditions
Light Sources
  • None
Known Conditions
  • None
Spells in Effect:
  • None
---

Character Status
  • BearSiren817 | Dr. Catarina Jones | Tabaxi | Rogue (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Neutral | Gender: Female | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 9-7 = 2 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' (Climb: 20') | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
    • Passive Senses

Features:
        • When you move on your turn in combat, you can double your speed until the end of the turn.
      • Cat’s Claws:
        • Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps even your appearance all mark you as foreign. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your homeland.

You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in hearing about your distant homeland and people.
  • Computer +1 | Urth Stormwind | Human | Warlock (1) | Alignment: Lawful Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 10 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: No
  • GreyWolfVT | Grimbul Graybeard | Dwarf (Hill) | Ranger (1) | Alignment: Neutral Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d10) | HP: 14 | AC: 15 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
  • Pulpatoon | Kañ-Demir | | Dwarf (Hill) | Monk (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 11 | AC: 15 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
  • Scott308 | Dureau Sathaos | Human | Cleric (1) | Alignment: Lawful Neutral | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 10 | AC: 18 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: No
  • Dram | Targarious LongShank | Half-Elf | Rogue (1) | Alignment: Neutral Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d6) | HP: 10 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes
[/list]

Rolls
  • None
-- Project --

-- DM --
BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#111 Post by BearSiren817 »

Seeing Kañ-Demir examining the dead Thug closely, Catarina runs over to get a glimpse of the interesting item. She thinks to herself, “Curiosity has never killed a Tabaxi unlike her other feline ancestors”.

She is only interested in examining the item for its secrets and to expand her knowledge. Not wanting to upset Kañ-Demir she states, “What do you think that is?”. Her initial rush of adrenaline wares off and she feels a sharp pain in her wound, “I could use some help my friends.”
Scott308

#112 Post by Scott308 »

Dureau Sathaos

After he utters a few words nobody can make out, the cleric's shield begins to shine with light. I said I was not as helpless as I appeared to be. I merely wished to allow those of us who were able to see in the dark the opportunity to complete their missions. I see we have the egg- or, more accurately, what was purported to be the egg. Although, I guess if the other objective was successfully completed, the contents of the bag are actually irrelevant.

As he speaks, he examines the wound Catarina suffered. This may seem like an odd question, but would you like me to knock you unconscious before healing you? I ask because as a cleric of the grave, my divine gifts are best used to keep people out of the grave. Kelemvor is pleased when I use the gifts he provides me to heal someone at the brink of death. If you are unconscious, this makes him happiest. He therefore gifts me the most powerful of my healing magic. If I heal someone still able to walk, someone not in danger of imminent death, he grants me healing as he sees fit at that precise moment. It may be a little, it may be a lot. I cannot even begin to try figuring out why he does as he does. He is a god, and beyond knowing.
As a grave cleric, Dureau's healing spells function at max HP if his target has 0 HP. Right now that works out to 11 HP. If you have him cast with you having more than 0 HP, it'll be 1d8+3.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#113 Post by BearSiren817 »

Catarina eyes Dureau suspiciously. “If that’s your God’s desire then so be it.” She says a prayer to the Cat Lord hoping that he is watching over her and is the reason she has met these people to begin with.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Pulpatoon »

Kañ-Demir yanks the woolen horses from the orc's belt. "Might help identify who this was," he says gruffly, ignoring the pangs in his steppes-born heart the horses stir. He then tosses the orc's purse over to Catarina. "There's medicine in here, if the gods are unresponsive. Money, too."
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#115 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grimbul puts his bow back and decides it's best to be gone from the area before more thugs or bandits decide to sneak up on them. "We had best get moving unless we want another ambush."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Scott308

#116 Post by Scott308 »

Dureau Sathaos

Nodding his head, Dureau asks, Is there anywhere particular you would like me to hit you? He'll wait for her answer and then punch her there. Catching Cat and easing her to the ground when she loses consciousness, he will then cast Cure Wounds upon her.
I'm assuming that since Cat is allowing Dureau to hit her, I don't need to roll to hit. An unarmed attack will do 2 points of damage because of his strength bonus, which will knock her out. Cure Wounds will then do 11 hp of healing- well, 10, since that will bring her to max.

And yes, I have seen this exact situation in a live game. We had a grave cleric in the party, and if the barbarian was down to just a few HP, he'd have someone smack him with nonlethal damage to bring him to zero for max healing.

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#117 Post by BearSiren817 »

Catarina distracted by her wounds doesn’t see the pouch tossed towards her and it hits her in the head. Losing consciousness she wonders how a little pouch could knock her out so easily not realizing Dureau did the real damage.

Coming too, she smiles at the human, “Thanks to your God. May he continue to do as he sees fit to aid us.”
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#118 Post by dmw71 »

Recovery
Still convinced they're no longer being followed, the group spends another minute or two recovering before setting their next course of action.

Seeing Kañ-Demir examining the dead thug, Catarina darts to his side to get a glimpse of any findings. “What do you think that is?” she asks the monk, of the woven figure dangling from the half-orc's side.
Almost immediately after posing the question, her initial rush of adrenaline wears off and she feels a sharp pain in her wound. "I could use some help, my friends." she purrs weakly.

The wounded tabaxi attracts the interest of Dureau, who begins to examine the wound troubling the half-cat. "This may seem like an odd question, but would you like me to knock you unconscious before healing you?" the cleric of the grave poses to Catarina, explaining how his deity, Kelemvor, is most generous with his bestowments when the intended recipient is at the brink of death. “If that’s your God’s desire, then so be it,” Catarina purrs lightly as she eyes Dureau suspiciously; then says a quick prayer to the Cat Lord.

Nearby, Kañ-Demir yanks the woolen horses from the half-orc's belt. "Might help identify who this was," he says gruffly. Then, pulling the orc's purse from its belt, he tosses it over to Catarina. "There's medicine in here, if the gods are unresponsive. Money, too." .

Catarina, distracted by her wounds, doesn’t see the pouch tossed towards her and it hits her in the head. Losing consciousness she wonders how a little pouch could knock her out so easily... not realizing Dureau did the real damage. The cleric eases the rogue to the ground as her consciousness fades, then proceeds to cast 'Cure Wounds' on her. The curious strategy works perfectly, as a moment later, Cat springs to her feet, fully restored. “Thanks to your God," she says. "May he continue to do as he sees fit to aid us.”

Nearby, Grimbul stows his bow and agrees with Urth. "We had best get moving unless we want another ambush."

---

Very nicely played, everyone. So, is the plan to return to town?

---

Time: 20:39
Temperature
Conditions
Light Sources
  • None
Known Conditions
  • None
Spells in Effect:
  • None
---

Character Status
  • BearSiren817 | Dr. Catarina Jones | Tabaxi | Rogue (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Neutral | Gender: Female | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 9 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' (Climb: 20') | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
    • Passive Senses

Features:
      • Cat’s Claws:

[/list]

Rolls
  • None
-- Project --

-- DM --
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Pulpatoon »

Kañ-Demir: "This ambush by a third party has awakened my sense of suspicion. Let us remove ourselves, yes, but we should inspect the egg before we return to town, and perhaps enter town in an unexpected direction."
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#120 Post by Computer +1 »

Urth Stormwind

I don't know anything about dragon eggs and I don't feel like looking at one in the woods in the dark.
Lets just get back and then figure out what we have and what our mysterious patrons deal is.

Return to “Tyranny of Dragons - Group 2 (5e)”