OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: The Stinking Bugbear Cave (Intro)

#201 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Back To The Caves
1.5 Days Left
Midnight, Dark, Clear

As the group makes their way back into the Bugbear cave, the goblin shaman Horsefly proves his worth yet again, calling on the power of Maglubiyet to heal his friends. He barely notices the difference.

Nardgrog stands at the stone table, listening to the groups details about what they discovered. He finally blurts out over the discussion.

"I was hoping there would be a secret hatch inside that tunnel. If it leads into the stables, it should make a perfect place for the smaller members to sneak inside. Better yet, it seems like it leads into the inner courtyard. That is where all the good fighting should take place."

The huge bugbear looks over the map listed with the positions of the guards.

"If there is only one guard on each wall, that should make entering in one or two other areas pretty easy as well. I don't think I need to tell you how to take out a guard without creating too much suspicion." He looks to Thamansa and grins deviously.

"I don't believe that the flying rat has left us yet, he seemed awfully anxious to partake in this to simply disappear on us once we arrived. I bet he has something up his sleeve yet."

Looking over the map again, he focuses on the area of construction. "If the front gates are vulnerable, then this tower might be a good access point as well. Since the big guys cant sneak inside, this looks like a good spot for brute force."

"The blue light does concern me, probably some magic ward to keep out unwanted visitors. We might need to avoid those areas until after the battle gets underway. I don't like the idea of lighting the place up with fire unless it is totally necessary. If there are supplies and provisions in those wooden buildings, we don't want them all burned to the ground before we have a chance to loot them."

With no sign of the orcs yet who are scheduled to arrive anytime now, Nardgrog scratches his hairy chin and barks again.

"Do any of you have something else to offer before we devise a plan of attack?"

Actions?

Horsefly (goblin) 8/8 [1 of 3/3/1]
Shozbot (orc) 13/18
Kermut (gnoll) 15/16
Thamansa (bugbear) 20/20 [3/3/0]
Othrod (bugbear) 30/30
Horny Carl (minotaur) 40/40
Ondrake (hill giant) 50/50

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Pulpatoon »

Thamansa: "I know you're gonna start thinking I'm like a cur that keeps going back to gnaw on the same ol' bone, but lissen up: Fire. Tha's the enemy of a these big, dumb man-buildings. We saw guards and towers and blue lights, but you know what I didn't see? Water. No lakes or rivers outside, no wells or cisterns inside. I mean, there's gotta be water stores somewhere, but I didn't see nothing large enough or accessible enough to fight a big roarin' blaze. And wood! What ain't made of stone is made of wood, and what is made of stone is still framed with wood.

"I know we're all used to good old fashioned blood 'n guts fighting, but we'll kill more of those damned hu-mans if we load up on firebombs that I can drop on 'em from way up. And the more we drop, the more the hu-mans have to fight the fire, not us. Then, if we want our fun, we wait until they're good and busy and worn out and heartsick from everything they're losing to the fire. That's when we bust in for some more intey-mate violence."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Urson »

Horsefly

The old goblin shows a smile full of chipped, crooked teeth. Yeah! I likes dat idear!
FA FO

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#204 Post by Scott308 »

Kermut

In Orcish, he growls,
If you drop fire, don't hit stables. Me stay in cave if stables burning.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#205 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Back To The Caves
1.5 Days Left
Midnight, Dark, Clear

Nardgrog eventually comes around to the only suggestion made so far about lighting the place up with fire before the group enters.

"If fire is your only option to cause confusion, then I say do it. But try not to hit any taverns or wherehouses that might store large quantities of goods, supplies, and provisions."

Kermut reminds Thamansa that some of the group will be coming out in the stables, so she should keep her inferno's away from that area.

Nardgrog looks over the positions of the guards again before continuing.

"A big enough commotion should get some of these guards to move from their spots on the walls, but fires will be impossible to predict or control. If you are sure about this idea, there will be a time of uncertainty while you wait out the humans to see how they react. Be prepared for that."

"Is there anything else one of you would like to add?"
He looks at the quiet hill giant, minotaur, and orc, wondering if there is something the group isn't telling him. "If not, then get some rest while we wait for those damned orcs to arrive."

Actions?

Shozbot (orc) 13/18
Kermut (gnoll) 15/16
Othrod (bugbear) 30/30

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Urson »

Horsefly
Are snakes common in this area? What kind?
Iffen we wants diversions, can do that. Anybody got a way to talk with creepy crawlies- 'sides me, that is?
A swarm of rats or bugs is plenny of diversion. I's gonna go find a nest of snakes. Maybe they'll be poison.
FA FO

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#207 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Snakes are plentiful in the Caves area.

Unfortunately, they are a main food source for the monsters. :x

Give me a percentile roll to see what can be found. (higher is better)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Pulpatoon »

Thamansa scoffs at Kermut's warning, although without the bitterness that usually inflects her every utterance.
She replies in Orcish, with what sounds almost like good humor:
"Just piss on yer cloak and run real fast. Imagine how the hu-mans will react to seeing you burst out of the fire!"
When Nardgrog mentions not burning Keep supplies, she looks annoyed, but does her best to hide it from her chieftain.

At Horsefly's mention of critters, she pats a filthy, matted fur sack and cackles. "Oh! I can help with that! Don't try guessin' at all the tricks wily Thamansa has tucked away!"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Urson »

Horsefly

[1d100] = 90
FA FO

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#210 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Back To The Caves
.5 Days Left
Midday, Clear, Hot

With nothing else to offer the chieftain, the group moves off to get some rest and wait for the orcs to arrive.

Horsefly spends his time looking around the caves area for some creepy crawlies. He is lucky to spot a nest of timber rattlers hidden in a rocky area. Most of them are just babies, but the pair of adults he captures would make either a nice meal or be great pets for the surly goblin.

At about noon the next day, a retinue of cocky orcs enters the caves area and heads straight to the bugbear cave, glad to be out of the bright light of midday. The outspoken orc leader and the bugbear chieftain converse privately for some time before the group is called to assemble again. Once gathered, the group eats and drinks their fill as they listen to the plans for their upcoming attack. Nardgrog speaks, interrupted often by the hideous looking orc.

"The Red Eyes have indeed brought us a powerful gift that will undoubtedly turn tonight's attack in our favor. A ring that can be used to knock a hole into their walls, or maybe even topple over one of their tall stone towers. An immovable object can be "pushed" with the ring. It wont move far, only about 10 feet or so, but a force like that could cause significant damage to their defenses. And cause a rather large distraction in the process, I would imagine."

The crazed orc leader, Dramglug.....
TTAlbinoOrcBig.gif
TTAlbinoOrcBig.gif (128.02 KiB) Viewed 790 times
......grins crazily as he sets a simple golden ring on the stone slab table and pushes it slowly towards Othrod.

"I give this to you freely, BUT YOU BETTER BRING IT BACK TO ME!!! With this on, all you need to do is get within 10 feet of a target, point it at whatever you want to push over, will it, and it shall be done!"

You can see the hate in Shozbot's eyes grow once the ring is given by the orcs to the bugbear champion.

Actions?

Shozbot (orc) 13/18
Kermut (gnoll) 15/16
Othrod (bugbear) 30/30

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Rex »

Othrod

"I take this Ring for now, but will return it once we have taken the Keep. I know exactly where to attack." Othrod grins as he chuckles. "Horny Carl and Ondrake shall join me in attacking a section of wall I found that is cracked and weak. A group will attack through the hidden entrance into the stables and the flyer shall attack from the air, perhaps setting fire to a wooden structure other than the stable."

Scott308

#212 Post by Scott308 »

Kermut

Making sure the newcomer Orcs are well out of earshot, Kermut will whisper in Orcish to Shozbot.
Why you hate Orcs? Is that not your tribe? Is there problem I should know so it doesn't make mission harder?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#213 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Shozbot answers the gnoll, reluctantly at first, but getting more worked up as he speaks.

"Shozbot Broken Bone orc. NOT Red Eye!!!"

"Why Red Eye orcs give ring to stinking bugbear? What about ME? I am their own kin, why would I not get ring to use?"

The orc ponders the thought a bit further before continuing.

"Something seem wrong to Shozbot! This make no sense!"

Dramglug senses his captains displeasure and takes the orc aside. The others watch as the ugly chief calms Shozbot's angst by handing him what looks like a potion bottle, whispering something into the stout orcs ear that brings a maniacal smile to Shozbot's grimy face. After a bit more socializing, he returns to Kermut.

"Now Shozbot have powerful weapon too. Ready to go kill hu-mans!"

Nardgrog looks back and forth as the transaction happens, clearly having no idea what has just taken place. He doesn't like not knowing, but if the orc is ready to kill, that is all the bugbear cares about anyway.

Scott308

#214 Post by Scott308 »

Kermut

To Shozbot in Orcish:
Ha! You trick stupid Red Eye chief into giving up more powerful magic! Something you can use when we sneak in. Ring is powerful, but ring wearer make assault on keep. Humans know they there! Let big and stupids die. We sneak in, kill humans before they know we here!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#215 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Back To The Caves
.5 Days Left
Midday, Clear, Hot

Dramglug just laughs when Othrod promises to return the ring. "Sure you will", is all he grunts in return.

Nardgrog nods at Othrod's plan of attack. "It sounds like you have found a good place to start the fun. I'm glad to see you have all put some thought into this. Your lives will depend on you being correct. I would suggest the giant smash through the front gate if that area is under construction, but since I haven't seen the place up close, I will trust your insight, Othrod."

Shozbot smiles wickedly at the words of the gnoll. "Your plan sounds perfect. Once the brutes have drawn the hu-mans attention, we swoop in to finish them all off." The twisted orc looks off into nothingness for a moment as he pictures the carnage and smiles wide.

Actions?

Shozbot (orc) 13/18
Kermut (gnoll) 15/16
Othrod (bugbear) 30/30

If everyone is satisfied with the game plan so far, I will put up an empty position map and we can begin the combat portion of the game.

Scott308

#216 Post by Scott308 »

Let's get ready to RRRUMBLLLLLLE!

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ondrake "Smash through front gate? I can do that. It's my keep anyway - they need to learn a lesson about keeping me out"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Rex »

Othrod

"Me and Horny Carl will attack the cracked wall then, split there attention many ways."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by Urson »

Horsefly
I'mma gone be sneaky- sneak in through dat stable, den start causin' trouble. Iffen youse need heals, you finds me- or holler loud so I finds you.
FA FO

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Pulpatoon »

Thamansa: "An' I'll be dropping fire from th' skies! Jus' do me and yourselves a favor, and don't rush in too quickly. Let the fire wear them out, first. Hell's bells, let the fire burn itself out. They'll stay up all night trying to put it out and weepin' and hollerin' over their dead. Then they'll be ripe pickin'!"

Return to “Revenge on the Borderlands Keep (1E)”