Journey to the Mines

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

Journey to the Mines

#1 Post by Tamerlaine »

On the soon appointed morning, the group files out of the Vulgar Harpy. The air is crisp and cool with only a smattering of clouds above. Fastolf is there waiting, wearing leathers and a worn black cloak with a mantle of raven feathers. He has his long lanky grey hairs tied back with a leather cord. There's the pommel of a sword jutting out from the cloak and a bow and quiver at his back. He's quiet, giving only a nod to the group.

A few dirty faced ragamuffins appear and start to follow as you make your way to the gate, breaking into a rhyme like children do. The contents involve the mines and your eventual demise, each one of you suffering a distinct horrific death. Once at the gate the veteran sergeant is there. He wishes each of you luck as you file through the open gate.

Once you have reached a fair distance from the fort, Fastolf stops the party and takes a swig from a waterskin. His face contorts into a grimace before wiping his mouth. "Worry you none, 'tis only water. The place I'm leading you, it's three days away on foot. Most will be on footpaths and game trails. I'll be in front leading the way. The deeper into the mountains we get, the best you all stay quiet."

OOC: I need from you a marching order, single file as well the order of watch during camp. Magic-users, please indicate what spells are memorized for the day.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Journey to the Mines

#2 Post by Pulpatoon »

For overland travel, Aldredus will memorize Sleep.

Also, if it's three days there, three back, and however in between, I'm retroactively putting more rations in his backpack.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by tarlyn »

Norzak will be second in line. A tracker would be best first.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by alver »

I've posted proposed marching and watch order in the OOC thread

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Tamerlaine »

The first day of travel finds the group making their through a forest of tall trees.

Random Wilderness Encounter [1d6] = 4

And nothing happens. The group makes camp for the night. Fastolf is looking right grey but remains stoic and at times irritable.

Random Wilderness Encounter [1d6] = 1

Shift [1d4] = 2

Norzak, roll a d6

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by rossik »

Igenos will memorize Sleep, or as he calls it, "Put out the Flame"

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by tarlyn »

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Tamerlaine »

Norzak is standing watch when he senses something. Was it the snap of a branch, a smell, the sixth sense? Whichever it was, the dwarf looks about and notes a shadow moving slowly towards him. Staring hard, the shadow becomes a mountains cat...a very hungry cat thinking the dwarf small enough to takes on and drag away. It sees Norzak and realizes his stealthy approach is ruined. It quickly attacks!

Norzak, roll for Initiative

OOC: I assume Norzak raises a hue and cry so the rest can get on the action the next round.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Tamerlaine »

OOC: Roll to hit and damage as well

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by tarlyn »

Norzak

"Ye durned cat, git atta here! Wake up we gots hungry cat thinkin ter eat us!"

Attack on Mountain Cat [1d20] = 5
Damage if hit [1d8] = 4

OOC : Think he missed

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Tamerlaine »

Initiative: Mountain Cat [1d6] = 6

Yikes. The big cat is lightning fast, biting and clawing at the dwarf!

Cat Attack: Claw/Claw/Bite [1d20] = 2 [1d20] = 19 [1d20] = 19

Damage: Claw [1d3] = 1 Bite [1d6] = 2

Norzak manages to dodge one swipe of its claws, but another paw rakes his arm, it's claws drawing blood. At the same time the cat tries to sink its fangs into Norzak's neck and somewhat succeeds, yet the thick beard and armor keeps his throat from being ripped out.

Norzak swings out, but his weapon came a bit too late and misses under the cat's onslaught.

The camp has been roused to the danger and join in as they may!

OOC: For the sake of expediency, I'll be rolling initiative for both the party and any opponents.

Party Initiative [1d6] = 6 Monster Initiative [1d6] = 1 The party goes first!

OOC: Those who attack just roll your hit die and damage and post both. Please use the US Dice roller for your rolls and post your link to the rolls (and I do random audits of player rolls, so no cheating). I'll resolve the round's combat from there.

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by alver »

Cedric

"It's a lion! It's eating Norzak!"

Flail to hit: [1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7, damage: [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by tarlyn »

Norzak

"Git off me ya mangy cat!" the dwarf yells! Renewing his resolve he swings

his axe once more.

Attack on cat [1d20] = 11

Damage with axe [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by rossik »

"Aaaaah!"
Igneos wake up and light a torch. He expect to get by the beast rear, using the fight confusing, throwing the torch under the animal. As soon as he do that, he will run back to his comrades

(OOC: dont know if i needed to roll, but i got a 16. if my DX 13 gives a bonus, than teh result is 17)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldredus rolls over, stares muzzily at the source of the noise, and casts Sleep in the general direction.

He then shakes Norzak awake. "Could you tie the cat up, or something, and finish your shift? I'm trying to... yaaaawn... sleep."

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Tamerlaine »

With Igneous casting a Sleep spell, and considering spells are done before melee in the order of combat, everyone else’s actions are inconsequential.
Pulpatoon wrote:He then shakes Norzak awake
With those initial words in mind, the spell quickly takes effect and both the mountain cat AND Norzak slump to the ground, each lost in a deep slumber. Igneous does wake the dwarf afterwards.

Fastolf touches the sleeping cat with the tip of his sword. She’s a big one. A mama cat looking for food for her and her kits

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by rossik »

Tamerlaine wrote:With Igneous casting a Sleep spell, and considering spells are done before melee in the order of combat, everyone else’s actions are inconsequential.
Pulpatoon wrote:He then shakes Norzak awake
With those initial words in mind, the spell quickly takes effect and both the mountain cat AND Norzak slump to the ground, each lost in a deep slumber. Igneous does wake the dwarf afterwards.

Fastolf touches the sleeping cat with the tip of his sword. She’s a big one. A mama cat looking for food for her and her kits
No, Igneos is throwing a torch

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Parson Paul wakes Norjax and prays over his wounds, almost surprised that it works. Wow, he says blandly. For all his bravado, he never expects the Lord's to respond to his calls.

Cat's are likely to just track us and try again. Sad as it is, we're better off ending it, I think.

CLW [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by alver »

Cedric squats next to the sleeping cat and pets its fur. "It's beatiful. Ewww, and it stinks too!" He backs up to a safer distance, should the cat wake up before its fate is decided. "We should cook it and eat it. I bet if you eat a lion you become really strong too!"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldredus snores gently, dreaming happy wizard dreams.

Return to “The Mines of Khunmar (LL)”