Group 1: OOC I

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Group 1: OOC I

#241 Post by dmw71 »

Just a quick note, which I'll be adding to all my games, that I'm starting to get into a better groove at work, even with the increased workload.

Hopefully that will mean an uptick in activity.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#242 Post by dmw71 »

I just checked, and Ahlmzhad hasn't visited the boards since last Wednesday (Last visited: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:25 pm), and we know Gerrin is out indefinitely.

My plan is to move this group later today.

I will NPC both both Quaalxor and Tannaris, at least for this current scenario, but there's a chance this group may be down two players. :(
-- Project --
-- DM --

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#243 Post by ravenn4544 »

Can we recruit some new ones to take their place or enter the game as new characters?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#244 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:Can we recruit some new ones to take their place or enter the game as new characters?
Maybe?

The adventure is set up for a party of four, which is where you guys are. This particular part of the module, where the group is in Greenest, the party should actually consist of four 1st (not 2nd) level characters -- I can't imagine.

Anyway, let's just wait and see what happens after this current mission is over.
Speaking of which, I will admit to being a little sad after the group launched directly into attacks when the cultist attempted the parley. This wandering patrol you're up against now is pretty significant.

I can see bad things happening.

We'll see.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#245 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:Can I make it just dodge and move, with bonus action disengage, since the dog is on me and I'm not super likely to get away before it tries to bite me again? I guess I would rather run/dodge than scream & shout for attention, if you know what I mean... Oskar is basically trying draw the enemies across Bren and Tannaris' field of fire.
Here is where I am able to place Oskar at the end of round 1, after your clarification of actions:
Disengage, Dash.png
Disengage, Dash.png (238.17 KiB) Viewed 2646 times

I am working on the round 2 update for this group now.[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#246 Post by ravenn4544 »

Speaking of which, I will admit to being a little sad after the group launched directly into attacks when the cultist attempted the parley. This wandering patrol you're up against now is pretty significant.

I can see bad things happening.

We'll see.
Well, in our defense, we were dodging an overwhelming dragon, kobolds everywhere, and then more kobolds and then some crazy cultists by the temple of good things. We're doing our best :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#247 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:Well, in our defense, we were dodging an overwhelming dragon, kobolds everywhere, and then more kobolds and then some crazy cultists by the temple of good things. We're doing our best :)
Touché. :lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Rex »

I am not expecting to make it through this fight. One sling stone will finish Strega off. But she will go down fighting.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#249 Post by dmw71 »

Crazy work week. I had two major presentations I've been preparing for (on top of all my normal responsibilities) and just finished the first of the two. Which is a relief.

My plan is to try and move all my games today, which, if I'm being realistic, probably won't happen, but we'll see. Expect an update here either later today or tomorrow.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by Monsieur Rose »

So how far could Rumble jump? I'm thinking of leaping onto the cultist, who I think is 20ft away. Rumble is on higher ground, so he might get more range. Can I get a ruling on feasibility before Rumble goes splat?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#251 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote:So how far could Rumble jump? I'm thinking of leaping onto the cultist, who I think is 20ft away. Rumble is on higher ground, so he might get more range. Can I get a ruling on feasibility before Rumble goes splat?
I will preface this by saying two things:
  1. Any character can attempt anything, at any time;
  2. If Rumble attempts what you're proposing, it would be insane... but totally badass!

Having said that, there is an official rule on this: Jumping:

Jumping wrote: Your Strength determines how far you can jump.

Long Jump. When you make a long jump, you cover a number of feet up to your Strength score if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. When you make a standing long jump, you can leap only half that distance. Either way, each foot you clear on the jump costs a foot of movement.

This rule assumes that the height of your jump doesn't matter, such as a jump across a stream or chasm. At your DM's option, you must succeed on a DC 10 Strength (Athletics) check to clear a low obstacle (no taller than a quarter of the jump's distance), such as a hedge or low wall. Otherwise, you hit it.

When you land in difficult terrain, you must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to land on your feet. Otherwise, you land prone."

Okay, let me talk through this...

With a 15 strength, Rumble should be able to long jump that many feet (15) with a 10-foot running start, which he can have.

This would have him falling (pun intended) just short.

But...

He is launching himself from a higher vantage point, and would probably gain a little distance by virtue of having that extra distance to cover during the fall. :lol:

Then there is the tree in your path.
Jump.png
Jump.png (278.88 KiB) Viewed 2604 times
Okay, here's how I'll judge this:

Rumble is almost certain he can span the full 20-feet distance required.
  • Actually gaining that extra 5-feet distance will require a Strength (Athletics) check against an "easy" task, or DC 10. With your +4, you have roughly a 75% chance of success.
However, the tree is an obstacle in your flight path. Avoiding enough of it mid-flight so it doesn't hinder your distance will be a bigger challenge.
  • I'm thinking this will be a "moderately" difficult task, so DC 15. Probably Dexterity (Acrobatics).
    You have +5 here.
Now, you already have inspiration.

If you use it on one of the above checks (I will ask that you declare its use before making the roll), I will guarantee you will earn it right back for this very barbarian act.[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Excellent. I'll use inspiration on avoiding the tree, mid-flight.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#253 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I still need to resolve the actions for Oskar (unless drpete chimes in)...
Okay, now I'm a little worried we may have lost drpete:
  • Last visited: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Let's make it through this encounter and see where everything stands.
-- Project --
-- DM --

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by drpete »

dmw71 wrote:
dmw71 wrote:I still need to resolve the actions for Oskar (unless drpete chimes in)...
Okay, now I'm a little worried we may have lost drpete:
  • Last visited: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Let's make it through this encounter and see where everything stands.
I'm sorry for my absence, guys.

I'm in a kind of transitional period that kind of swallowed me up... (a wedding trip that turned into a sick wife, that turned into... yadda yadda). I got behind, then felt kinda "stuck" behind. I should be back, though!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#255 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:I'm sorry for my absence, guys.

I'm in a kind of transitional period that kind of swallowed me up... (a wedding trip that turned into a sick wife, that turned into... yadda yadda). I got behind, then felt kinda "stuck" behind. I should be back, though!
Eek.

Glad to have you back, but hope everything is okay.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#256 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:Bren struggles to think of what to do next. He tries the first thing he can think of and shouts at the people inside also "Open the door! The Governer sent us to help! Linan and..and..her husband.. are safe! We can help!"
Normally, I would call for a Charisma (Persuasion) roll (which would be covered by the "if needed" roll if not specifically provided ;) ), but I can get by without it this time. :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by ravenn4544 »

You're right! I forgot to add the as needed roll. Charisma is 16

Persuasion [1d20+3] = 12+3 = 15

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#258 Post by dmw71 »

D&D Beyond just announced a new 'Campaign Character Limit Updates' update, and I'm still trying to figure out how I can best take advantage of these changes.
Essentially, it used to be where each game could only have 12 characters in it. Now they've changed the limit from characters to players.

The "problem" that I currently have has to do with the fact that you can only enable content sharing in three campaigns, and I have my four games organized into four individual campaigns:
Active Campaigns.jpg
Active Campaigns.jpg (100.5 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
After taking a quick inventory, it turns out that I only have 13 unique players (19 total characters) across all four games:
Players.jpg
Players.jpg (85.76 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
This is just one over the limit, otherwise I could have thrown everyone into a single group. I'm not even sure how/if that would make things easier? But, it would definitely remove the content sharing issue, and also allow for a lot of room for expansion (e.g. new players).

Interesting.

Even though I do have characters built (or in development) on D&D Beyond, I've only ever used the tool as a DM, not as a player. So, to see how things worked from a player's perspective, I added a couple of my characters into different campaigns I have created. As a player, things are actually organized fairly well:
Characters.jpg
Characters.jpg (34.01 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
I was worried that I would complicate things for you guys if I shuffled things around, but the only real change is on my end.

Okay, this is helpful.

I'm going to spend some time planning out how I want to reorganize everything, but do expect for me to be requesting that you use the 'Leave Campaign' option on your characters and join a new campaign I've created instead (using new invite links which I will create and send out).[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by ravenn4544 »

Will be offline from this Sunday through the following Sunday (150 mile white water rafting trip through the grand canyon :)). Please NPC as appropriate.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#260 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:150 mile white water rafting trip through the grand canyon
That sounds awesome!

Thanks for letting us know. We'll do our best to keep Bren alive. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Tyranny of Dragons - Group 1 (5e)”