OOC - Welcome and Chat

atpollard
AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC - Welcome and Chat

#281 Post by AsenRG »

A probably unnecessary post, but I just wanted to make sure nobody's waiting on me. Which would have been a shame!

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#282 Post by atpollard »

No, everyone is waiting on ME ... and I am waiting for sanity to return to the world. COVID-19 had me working 50-60 hour weeks all of March, April and May. Today is my first day back at WORK and my first 8 hour day ... so let's see if I can start handling my end of the Game.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Urson »

I hear you. *insert rant here*
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#284 Post by AsenRG »

atpollard wrote:No, everyone is waiting on ME ... and I am waiting for sanity to return to the world. COVID-19 had me working 50-60 hour weeks all of March, April and May. Today is my first day back at WORK and my first 8 hour day ... so let's see if I can start handling my end of the Game.
OK, sorry for that. It was just that Jacques had last said something to Remy, and I started having doubts.

Also, I'm glad to hear that your job is back to normal!

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#285 Post by atpollard »

... "unless there's another of those very cunning doors here somewhere."

I wouldn't do that to you. I mostly just wanted to give the game a "bump" and nudge it forward.
There is nothing at [#11] except the source of the wind sound and an inaccessible hole.

The obvious options are to follow [#10] or head back to the start [#1] and try another passage.
Welcome to real world caves. ;)

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by Urson »

I figured as much. Just trying to play Jo as realistically as possible.
FA FO

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#287 Post by atpollard »

I think we have done the "tension" of wondering if the wall will collapse or the floor will give way or something is lurking around a dark corner, so I am inclined to place a bit of a thumb on the scale and just move it along to the next real discovery ... past exploring a natural cavern.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Zhym »

That makes sense to me.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Urson »

Likewise.
FA FO

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#290 Post by AsenRG »

For purely practical reasons, I approve :SAN: .

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#291 Post by atpollard »

A thought occurs to me. One of the issues for the group is "who is in charge" and "what do we do next". Traveller has an attribute called SOC that might work as a "innate authority". Not that people are REQUIRED to obey you, but the natural instinct in a 19th Century Society is to defer to one of higher station. So the higher your Soc, the more likely people are to just naturally follow your suggestion.

Let's try this out and see if it helps the group function smoother than a giant committee meeting at every minor decision.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#292 Post by atpollard »

So in terms of innate persuasiveness:
  • Jacques Bonnet [Soc D]
  • Remy Hernandez [Soc 5]
  • Dr. Samuel Linkletter / Mercutio "Doc" Routledge / Josephine Baxter-Smith [Soc 3]
People just naturally follow Jacques with Remy seen as his 'second'.

So direct your comments at Jacques if you want to steer the group. ;)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by Zhym »

Fine, don’t listen do your doctors. See where that gets you. ;)

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#294 Post by atpollard »

Zhym wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:24 pm Fine, don’t listen do your doctors. See where that gets you. ;)
Yeah, but all the Doctors are Social 3! You are just one step above the addicts you treat and the homeless guy on the corner begging for change. Probably on a par with the guy selling discount watches in a market stall.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by Monsieur Rose »

It's not Jacques's fault that the doctors aren't respected. If only they were born to a higher station. They don't live in a meritocracy. :D In all honesty, Jacques has been slumming it quite a bit. What would proper society say? :lol:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Zhym »

Besides, if the rest of us are the dregs of the Earth Waterworld, why would we listen to a poofy slumming nob instead of people at our own level? ;)

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#297 Post by atpollard »

Zhym wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:52 pm Besides, if the rest of us are the dregs of the Earth Waterworld, why would we listen to a poofy slumming nob instead of people at our own level? ;)
There is just something about when Jacques talks, it just SOUNDS like he knows what he is talking about. You can't put your finger on it, but you know it when you hear it.

" 'es a right proper gent, 'e is. Knows what 'es talkin 'bout. Y'can 'ear it in 'is voice w'at 'es got real class ... 'e 'as." :D

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#298 Post by AsenRG »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:35 pm It's not Jacques's fault that the doctors aren't respected. If only they were born to a higher station. They don't live in a meritocracy. :D In all honesty, Jacques has been slumming it quite a bit. What would proper society say? :lol:
Polite society would pretend it has never happened.
Then they'd comment on any amusing accidents that happened,but behind closed doors and in small groups of closely-knitted friends.

...you'll notice that Remy always defers to Jacques and formulates objections as advice :) . I'm used to historical games, BTW.
However, I don't think the difference between 3 and 5 merits "deference". Remy might seem like an experienced individual whose opinion should be taken in account, but honestly, that's more like "respect for a slightly superior position". Now, the difference with Jacques is staggering for all of us, but you can still try to advise him. I mean, even your faithful servants would be expected to do that!

Bottom line, we'd still have our party discussions, just using different grammar to say the same thing ;) .

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#299 Post by atpollard »

D&D had Charisma as a Characteristic to decide who was more “charming” and “charismatic”. Traveller uses SOC for that role ... like interactions with Law Enforcement.

I am not forcing anyone to BE the leader or the follower. I am merely establishing a version of “Charisma” for the group so that every minor decision does not have to be a 30 post discussion. Everyone who has an opinion states their opinion and Jacques states what the group does unless someone objects strongly enough to argue with Jacques or refuse to follow. Then that signals that the decision is important enough for a 30 post discussion and a group vote.

It really is just a game mechanic to speed up minor decisions.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Zhym »

I'm all in favor of speeding up minor decisions. Especially if I'm not the one having to make the decisions. :)

Return to “Wild West Waterworld (Classic Traveller)”