OOC

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC

#101 Post by onlyme »

Yes. Do we know what the badguy is? Assuming a zombie? Sterling casts it as a 3rd level cleric...btw...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by max_vale »

I was actually thinking mummy....but it might be neither...might be some kind of "special" undead......but you can always attempt to Turn it; even if it fails or doesn't work....

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by onlyme »

max_vale wrote:I was actually thinking mummy....but it might be neither...might be some kind of "special" undead......but you can always attempt to Turn it; even if it fails or doesn't work....
First lets see if we got the lid back on in time...
Also, (to show how clueless I am) what does my protection from evil protect against? It seems it is almost always a house-rule list of monsters, but almost always includes many of the undead.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#104 Post by Bhart »

onlyme wrote:
max_vale wrote:I was actually thinking mummy....but it might be neither...might be some kind of "special" undead......but you can always attempt to Turn it; even if it fails or doesn't work....
Also, (to show how clueless I am) what does my protection from evil protect against? It seems it is almost always a house-rule list of monsters, but almost always includes many of the undead.
As per the spell on page 44 of the PHB.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#105 Post by Vargr1105 »

I have half a feeling our tomb buddy isn't exactly an undead.

Edit: ok my gut feeling is wrong. We were dealing with a goddamned vampire there, I think.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by onlyme »

Bhart wrote:
onlyme wrote:
As per the spell on page 44 of the PHB.
I know, but it says, " by creatures of an enchanted or conjured nature such as aerial servants, demons, devils, djinn, efreet, elementals, imps, invisible stalkers, night hags, quasits, salamanders, water weirds, wind walkers, and xorn. Summoned animals or monsters are similarly hedged from the protected creature..."

It is the "such as" that gets me. What other creatures are enchanted or conjured such as the ones listed? Also, how can we tell what creatures are summoned?

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#107 Post by Vargr1105 »

I think the "such as" is a clause to allow the introduction of supernatural creatures that are not affected by the spell, which may look or be similar to the ones described but not be put off by the enchantment anyways.

You can't tell which creatures are "summoned" unless you see the summoning. This presents some interesting possibilities. A giant animal that crosses a natural portal into the game setting is not "summoned" therefore it is not affected by the spell. However if that creature was summoned via a ritual by a wizard it would.

To me it seems the litmus test for the spell is the extraplannar nature of the creature. All the beings you mentioned by name are natives of different planes of existence, what 3.x calls "Outsiders". So any creature from any plane other than the Prime Material falls under the influence of the spell.

As for undead they will be affected if they are summoned from somewhere else or if their current condition is fruit of an enchantement (as it often is). A few undead would not be affected, like someone who becomes a revenant out of sheer force of will to avenge his death. I don't think vampires would be affected either unless the vampirism was caused by a spell or magical item. Lycanthropes wouldn't qualify either.

Looking at the spell description I don't get its title at all. There nothing in the description that indicates the alignment of the creatures has any effect on the working of the spell.

At least that's my take on it. It's ultimately up to our GM.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by max_vale »

Yeah; I've always had some issues with this spell (and/or magical ability a la Paladins); I don't remember where I saw the house-rule (or perhaps ruling in a different game system); but it's something I use in home games.....basically the spell just makes Evil (or Good if Protection from Good cast, etc.) creatures have a -4 to Hit the character protected by the spell/ability and the person so protected has a +4 to Saving Throws vs. Spells/abilities utilized by an Evil creature that targets them specifically. (I.e. an Evil mage casting a burning hands spell at the person protected; the protected person would get the bonus.....an Evil Red Dragon breathing flame at a party of adventurers; including someone so protected wouuld NOT get a bonus to the Save) Just how our group rolls....:)

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#109 Post by Vargr1105 »

I don't like that interpretation because it makes the spell affect mundane folks who just happen to be evil. It seems a bit off that the same mystical power could keep both demons and highway brigands at bay.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by onlyme »

Vargr1105 wrote:Looking at the spell description I don't get its title at all. There nothing in the description that indicates the alignment of the creatures has any effect on the working of the spell.
At least that's my take on it. It's ultimately up to our GM.
There is a blurb that evil creatures have a -2 penalty to hit.

"...Furthermore, any and all attacks launched by evil creatures incur a penalty
of -2 from dice rolls ”to hit” the protected creature, and any saving throws
caused by such attacks are made at +2 on the protected creature‘s dice..."

And thanks for the information. I dont get planes at all. My mind doesnt handle that piece very well. One reason I normally prefer to stick to non-magical/spiritual classes.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by max_vale »

It makes a bit more sense as a Clerical spell as opposed to a Mage's one; at least in my mind. Hmm; perhaps a version that simply protects from the mystical/echanted/summoned (evil or not) and has nothing to do with alignment as a MU spell?

Sorry....don't mean to thread de-rail; just thinking out loud.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#112 Post by Bhart »

Sorry I've been slow on posting. I've been dealing with some RL stuff that will keep me busy until Mon. I will do my best to move the game forward tomorrow night (saturday).

Thanks for your patience. :)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by onlyme »

Bhart wrote:Sorry I've been slow on posting. I've been dealing with some RL stuff that will keep me busy until Mon. I will do my best to move the game forward tomorrow night (saturday).

Thanks for your patience. :)
no worries from me. Any of us could end up having an RL delay. Thanks for the heads up.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#114 Post by Dogma »

No problem for me either. I don't mind slow as long as it's still going.

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#115 Post by Recklessfireball »

No sweat. I know how it can be. :)

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#116 Post by angelicdoctor »

Hey all. I am back from Lent and am looking forward to getting back into the game! I need to take some time to review the history in the main thread before I make my first post since the break, however. It is good to be back!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by onlyme »

Welcome back. So far no one has died, so no worries there...

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#118 Post by angelicdoctor »

onlyme wrote:Welcome back. So far no one has died, so no worries there...
Always a good thing!

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#119 Post by Bhart »

It's good to have you back AD. :)

angelicdoctor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#120 Post by angelicdoctor »

Bhart wrote:It's good to have you back AD. :)
Thanks! I've been looking forward to getting back to the game!

Return to “The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan - 1ed”