Fort Blackstone - The Adventure Begins!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Fort Blackstone - The Adventure Begins!

#41 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Parson Paul nods to the plan. Norjax, don't go to the man empty handed. Take a bottle with you. He calls to Laston. Your pal, Fastolph. What's his favorite indulgence, as far as libations go? Got a bottle for sale?

I'm happy to take a walk with you, Cedric. See if we can drum up anyone to carry our stuff and take guard duty at night. Maybe we can go to a local church and see if there's an acolyte that's looking for adventure. More healing services won't go awry, from the sound of it.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Tamerlaine »

Armed with a clay jug of Fastolph's favorite brew, those seeking the former warden set about searching the walled town. After some effort, the sound of snoring is heard from a covered goat pen. Upon closer inspection, a form can be seen curled in the corner among the straw. He's a older man, lean in his clothes with long lanky grayish hair and a stubble of beard much like iron shavings. One arm is curled around an unstoppered jug and you don't know what smells worse, Fastolph or the goats.

For those seeking supplies, a few merchants are mentioned but the one name mentioned the most is a man by the name of Odger. He's been the outfitter of many a group of adventurers setting out for the mines. Odger can be found at first light at his shoppe.

For those seeking a master of the arcane arts, there is only one name; Tregastes (Trey-gast-eez). It is a name mentioned with either awe or suspicion depending on who is asked. The mage lives in the tallest house in town and keeps to himself, a rare sight indeed for him to be seen within town.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldredus says to Igneos: "'Treygastes?' That sounds like someone who has named themselves in the manner of one of the Eastern Hermetic Orders. They count their lineage back to Antiquity, and, as a rule, are very fond of pedigree."

Aldredus procures a small square of card-paper, and writes on it in a florid hand:
Upon this date and upon this time, Fort Blackstone,

Dear esteemed friend and master, Treygastes,

I take this occasion to introduce to you Masters Aldredus and Firefingers, recently of the Hermetic University, who visit your city on the occasion of their post-graduate wander-year. Please allow them to call upon you to present the acknowledgements of that August Institution, and speak with you about their present engagement in the region.

You will find them to be of ready skill and sterling character. Any attention or advice you might render will be appreciated and acknowledged by yours in fraternity,

Master Phoebammon, Ninth Tower, Hermetic University

Taking a bit of potato, Aldredus spends a few minutes carving it into small draconic figure. He uses this as a signet to place a wax seal upon the card. "You can't seal a card shut, of course, and it's considered terribly rude to seal a letter of introduction in any case. But I met an adjutant to old Phoebammon's office, once, and the buzzard had an unnatural love for sealing wax. Dribbled it on everything, not least the adjutant."

He inspects his work by tavern-light, checking the little details. He scuffs a corner or two to make the card look as though it has been in a saddlebag for a few weeks, and then smiles with pleasure at his craftwork.

"Shall we be off?"
Last edited by Pulpatoon on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Parson Paul tracks down the merchant, and makes introductions. Mr. Odger? I'm Parson Paul Paulson, and this is my traveling companion, Cedric Noakes. Along with a few other folks - and against much good advice, I should add - we've taken a mind to head to the mines. Many folks around here seem to think much about you, directing us your way regarding provisions and brave hearted folk that might be of a similar inclination to us. Paul pauses for Cedric to speak.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by rossik »

"Aldredus, my brother in the arts, once again your wits surprises me! I will come along, for sure. Lets see whats about this arcane master of fort Blackstone!"

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#46 Post by tarlyn »

Armed with a clay jug of Fastolph's favorite brew, those seeking the former warden set about searching the walled town. After some effort, the sound of snoring is heard from a covered goat pen. Upon closer inspection, a form can be seen curled in the corner among the straw. He's a older man, lean in his clothes with long lanky grayish hair and a stubble of beard much like iron shavings. One arm is curled around an unstoppered jug and you don't know what smells worse, Fastolph or the goats.
Norzak

"Allow me", he says to Glenda and he walks up to the dozing man. Unstoppering a waterskin, he sprays the man on the face with,

not missing a beat.

"Wake up, Fastolph! I gots some more a ye favorite drink 'ere" he shakes the jug at the man once he is awake.

"I'll share it wit ya's if'n ye kin tell us somethin bout da Mines", he offers the man.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by spanningtree »

Grenda - Elf

Yes, of course... she whispers to Norzak.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by alver »

Cedric, currently with Paul Paulson and speaking to the merchant Odger, follows cue. "Yea, we heard your stuffs is the best Mr. Odger! We are looking for men to hire too. Like strong guys who can carry and guard stuff. Maybe we need to buy supplies for them too."

I guess we need hirelings the most, and then supplies for hirelings. Everything else we probably know better once we have either got some intel on the mines or have scouted them out ourselves.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Tamerlaine »

tarlyn wrote:
"Allow me", he says to Glenda and he walks up to the dozing man. Unstoppering a waterskin, he sprays the man on the face with, not missing a beat.

"Wake up, Fastolph! I gots some more a ye favorite drink 'ere" he shakes the jug at the man once he is awake.

"I'll share it wit ya's if'n ye kin tell us somethin bout da Mines", he offers the man.
The man is slow to react, the wet strands of hair sticking to his face as the former warden sputters and opens a pair of bloodshot eyes

"Nngh..wuzzit?" Fastolph looks around, a bit confused as he raises a hand to his face, touching the wetness. "Where am I?" he groans. He sees the two of you and his eyes grow a little wider at the sight of the waterskin, licking his lips with newfound anticipation.

"The mines? The mines...aye, the bloody mines. What do you want to know about the mines? And how about a taste of that 'skin? Hair of the dog and all that. Bloody hurts to talk."

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by Tamerlaine »

rossik wrote:"Aldredus, my brother in the arts, once again your wits surprises me! I will come along, for sure. Lets see whats about this arcane master of fort Blackstone!"
Setting off into the narrow dark streets that wind about the small town, the two of you arrive at a tall house stuffed between two smaller shops. It is a towering affair and unlike the other structures surrounding it, the building is made of grey stone instead of wood. The lower floors have no windows and and the structure seems void of life. There is noise from within the windows above remain dark. A sturdy thick planked door bound with iron bands greets this pair of visitors. You knock and after a long interminable moment there is the sound of a bolt being pulled back and a small opening appears almost at eye height. You can't see what's in the pitch black darkness beyond but there is a voice, youngish, female.

"Who's calling?"

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by Tamerlaine »

alver wrote:Cedric, currently with Paul Paulson and speaking to the merchant Odger, follows cue. "Yea, we heard your stuffs is the best Mr. Odger! We are looking for men to hire too. Like strong guys who can carry and guard stuff. Maybe we need to buy supplies for them too."
The merchant puffs up at the flattery. "It is a welcome occasion when one hears such accolades. I do try to give those who would bravely attempt the fabled Mines of Khunmar the best equipment. I've always maintained that it can be the difference between life and death! Whatever your needs I'm sure I can provide."

"Men to hire, eh? You looking for mercenaries? Hmm, Cosca Murcotti and his Hell Hounds came through here a fortnight or so ago, stayed for three days before moving on down to the lowlands. Two of his men were drunk and things got out of hand with the local constabulary. They were cooling off in the gaol when Murcotti and his lads left. Gefrey and Isoks are their names. I'm sure they'd be up for making some coin. You can find them at the Crooked Man taproom most days."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldredus nudges his companion as they approach the building. "Ever notice how wizard's are always vying for the tallest tower? They say it's to be closer to the rarified aether of the heavenly spheres, but it always struck me as an act of over-compensation."
Tamerlaine wrote:"Who's calling?"
Aldredus passes the card of introduction through the opening, saying, "Masters Firefingers and Aldredus. We have traveled far and at great difficulty to speak with your master."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by spanningtree »

Grenda - Elf

Replying to Fastolph's groggy awakening: We have an interest in locating the mines... perhaps a drink or two can rustle your memory?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#54 Post by tarlyn »

Norzak

The dwarf nods as he hands over the jug.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Parson Paul thanks the merchant. A couple of guys who are used to mercenary life might work out well. We'll be sure check them out Mr. Odger. Honestly, I have most everything I need to head out right now, but I'll be back to resupply. But... What rarities do you have on hand? Anything useful?

Any merchandise not listed in the rulebook?

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by rossik »

Pulpatoon wrote:Aldredus nudges his companion as they approach the building. "Ever notice how wizard's are always vying for the tallest tower? They say it's to be closer to the rarified aether of the heavenly spheres, but it always struck me as an act of over-compensation."
Aldredus passes the card of introduction through the opening, saying, "Masters Firefingers and Aldredus. We have traveled far and at great difficulty to speak with your master."
"Indeed. I do think a tall tower is like a scepter. It can be as great as the caster's ego, and yet, void of power. Oh well"

-at the tower

Firefingers will look around, as someone that admire the structure, but with intent of checking guards or guard like creatures.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#57 Post by Tamerlaine »

Pulpatoon wrote:
The card disappears through the slot, which closes. Aldredus and Firefingers wait, and wait, and wait some more. Eventually there is the sound of heavy bolts being thrown back and the door slowly opens, the hinges protesting with a metallic screech. They note a rather short person standing in the dark, a young child actually...twelve or so, holding a candle. She's a waif, a skinny thing with big bright eyes and a page boy hair cut wearing a knee length tunic tied at the waist with a thin rope.

"Follow me." She turns and it is apparent to the two fledgling wizards through obvious clues that the girl is blind. She leads you through a dark passage way, pitch black with only the candlelight offering any illumination. Soon you enter a chamber dimly lit with smoking braziers. There is a high chair on a dais and sitting in it is a cowled figure swaddled in robes. You cannot see his face but you can surely feel his gaze.

"Your letter of introduction...intrigues me. I remember the Hermetic University, back when I had another life, a different name. Master Phoebammon, is it now? I remember when he was a student of mine. A young handsome man at the time, full of potential but lacking the talent and the ambition that I demand from those under my tutelage. To say that he is a Master reveals much as to the state of the university today."

"You two, why have you come to seek an audience with me? Speak plain and speak the truth!"

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Tamerlaine »

tarlyn wrote:Norzak

Fastolph takes the jug, a tad greedily as well as he pulls the cork and takes a long pull. Making a face, the man slaps his leg. "That hits the spot!" Another long pull and he's ready to talk. "Now then, the mines...the mines ain't nothing but death. It's cursed." Another chug. "Of course I can see you ain't to be dissuaded. The front entrance is no good. Used to have all sorts of deadly critters wandering about and that was in the valley leading up to it. Inside the entrance was worse. A lot of the foul bastards stayed behind when the Lich Queen's army moved on. They moved in, using it as a home, a base while they raided the nearby settlements. None of that matters now. There was a quake and the top of the mountain rumbled down on the front entrance."

"Ain't no way in, not anymore. But it doesn't stop those like you from trying. A lot of graves between here and there. Thanks for the drink. Now if you don't mind, I'd like to get back to sleeping."

As you leave him, its not long until you hear rapid footfalls and winded breathing. "Wait! Wait up!" Fastolph lumbers up to you and he takes a moment to catch his breath. "Hold on...I remember...I remember an entrance. Several winters ago I was tracking a mated pair of ogres in the mountains. Came across a nearly covered up path. Almost missed it. But this path had paved stones. I follow them and there's a statue of a dwarf under a underhand of rock, an entrance next to it. It is easy to miss. I...I can take you to it. But it'll cost you. Let's start with you buying me an ale and the Vulgar Harpy. Let's call it an incentive."
Last edited by Tamerlaine on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by Tamerlaine »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Parson Paul thanks the merchant. A couple of guys who are used to mercenary life might work out well. We'll be sure check them out Mr. Odger. Honestly, I have most everything I need to head out right now, but I'll be back to resupply. But... What rarities do you have on hand? Anything useful?
The merchant strokes his chin. "Rarities? Anything I had was all bought out by the the last band of aspiring adventurers. Caravans are few here so if there is anything I don't have that you would like to get your hands on, I can have it here on the next caravan."

OOC: No, no rarities. He's got everything in the equipment list. If there is something you have in mind not on the list, float it by me.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#60 Post by tarlyn »

Tamerlaine wrote:
tarlyn wrote:Norzak

Fastolph takes the jug, a tad greedily as well as he pulls the cork and takes a long pull. Making a face, the man slaps his leg. "That hits the spot!" Another long pull and he's ready to talk. "Now then, the mines...the mines ain't nothing but death. It's cursed." Another chug. "Of course I can see you ain't to be dissuaded. The front entrance is no good. Used to have all sorts of deadly critters wandering about and that was in the valley leading up to it. Inside the entrance was worse. A lot of the foul bastards stayed behind when the Lich Queen's army moved on. They moved in, using it as a home, a base while they raided the nearby settlements. None of that matters now. There was a quake and the top of the mountain rumbled down on the front entrance."

"Ain't no way in, not anymore. But it doesn't stop those like you from trying. A lot of graves between here and there. Thanks for the drink. Now if you don't mind, I'd like to get back to sleeping."

As you leave him, its not long until you hear rapid footfalls and winded breathing. "Wait! Wait up!" Fastolph lumbers up to you and he takes a moment to catch his breath. "Hold on...I remember...I remember an entrance. Several winters ago I was tracking a mated pair of ogres in the mountains. Came across a nearly covered up path. Almost missed it. But this path had paved stones. I follow them and there's a statue of a dwarf under a underhand of rock, an entrance next to it. It is easy to miss. I...I can take you to it. But it'll cost you. Let's start with you buying me an ale and the Vulgar Harpy. Let's call it an incentive."
Norzak

The dwarf turns to Glenda "Sounds good ter me an I be needin d'more ale!" he laughs heartily. "C'mon lad," he says to Fastolph " lets go get smashed!"

Return to “The Mines of Khunmar (LL)”