Character Generation

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Character Generation

#21 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright so is it just me or is there nothing in here about character races? That or am I just totally lost? I mean there is that one sentence that says Elves, Dwarves and Dragonewts but thats it other than Humans that I see. I guess this is where that cult book would be handy?

Never mind I see it in the monster chapter of the RQ1 book.

If Rex is going troll I would go Ogre or Giant ;) (if it's allowed) otherwise I'd likely go with Centaur or Dwarf.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by ffilz »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Alright so is it just me or is there nothing in here about character races? That or am I just totally lost? I mean there is that one sentence that says Elves, Dwarves and Dragonewts but thats it other than Humans that I see. I guess this is where that cult book would be handy?

Never mind I see it in the monster chapter of the RQ1 book.

If Rex is going troll I would go Ogre or Giant ;) (if it's allowed) otherwise I'd likely go with Centaur or Dwarf.
KevinRune had indicated an interest in playing an Elf Yelmalio, we sort of need to decide between Elf or Troll unless we REALLY want to play up on racial hatred... (elves in Glorantha are plants and have a special spell Food Song for collecting plants for food, trolls have a special spell Tree Chopping Song for killing elves...). Dwarves are just weird and aren't well detailed so generally I don't have them as PCs.

Centaur might be interesting, but would be challenging whenever the PCs want to go somewhere inside so I'm inclined to push back against that.

If we do go troll as opposed to elf, mainly it would be dark trolls. Orgres are creatures of Chaos and I don't want to try and run Chaos PCs (it's best left as the big nasty though maybe misunderstood thing out there). Giants again have to go inside problem, also their large size puts them in a different category than any other PC races...

Maybe I should have been more explicit up front about races... I am willing to stretch a bit, but I don't want to go too far.

Oh, and if there's trolls, the duck can expect to constantly be looked at as an appetizer... (at least there isn'r racial hatred there...).

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

GreyWolfVT

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hmm ok well I'm not one for being an elf very often mostly because of their "attitudes" however there was another race similar to an elf i saw that I'd not mind playing (Runners) if that is the route. Not sure I want to be a troll. Broos were interesting but I've a feeling having an animals head on a human body might present some issues. So I may just end up a plain human. Then again newtling and dragonewt I liked but not sure what their relationships with elves, humans or trolls are.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Rex »

I can run a human. No interest in running an elf myself. Cult will be Hunter, just need to know which God since it depends on region and I am not sure where we are starting.

GreyWolfVT

#25 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rex wrote:I can run a human. No interest in running an elf myself. Cult will be Hunter, just need to know which God since it depends on region and I am not sure where we are starting.
Thank will make things easier rather than contemplating the other races in the rulebook I'll just go Human as I have no interested in "elfing" it up either.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by ffilz »

GreyWolfVT wrote:
Rex wrote:I can run a human. No interest in running an elf myself. Cult will be Hunter, just need to know which God since it depends on region and I am not sure where we are starting.
Thank will make things easier rather than contemplating the other races in the rulebook I'll just go Human as I have no interested in "elfing" it up either.
Sorry to dampen potential interests. Human is always a good choice. I'm definitely open to the non-humans, and it is part of what makes RQ/Glorantha interesting, but there's also some real tensions so juggling things is tricky. Someday it would be fun to run a troll campaign, but maybe that should wait for when TrollPak is finally released in PDF form.

The campaign will start in Pavis, though Sartarites and Lunars are quite possible. Do you want to go with on of the Praxian cults? There's also Foundchild (which may have different names in different cultures, but is a "generic" hunter cult).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by ffilz »

GreyWolfVT wrote:speaking of cults where might I find that information I only have the RQ1 basic rulebook currently.
I've added links to the Setting thread, but here:

Cults of Prax - The first book of cults for RQ
Cult Compendium - A compilation of all the cults from RQ materials, includes pretty much all the content of Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror plus cults from other sources such as Pavis.

Founchild is in the Compendium, the Praxian cults are in Cults of Prax (and the Compendium).

GreyWolfVT

#28 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ffilz wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:speaking of cults where might I find that information I only have the RQ1 basic rulebook currently.
I've added links to the Setting thread, but here:

Cults of Prax - The first book of cults for RQ
Cult Compendium - A compilation of all the cults from RQ materials, includes pretty much all the content of Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror plus cults from other sources such as Pavis.

Founchild is in the Compendium, the Praxian cults are in Cults of Prax (and the Compendium).
Unfortunately I cannot afford the compendium. All I was really looking for is a list everything i find is just about creating one....I imagine there is a RuneQuest wiki or something out there i can just refer to to see what types of "cults" there are.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by ffilz »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Unfortunately I cannot afford the compendium. All I was really looking for is a list everything i find is just about creating one....I imagine there is a RuneQuest wiki or something out there i can just refer to to see what types of "cults" there are.
I'll dig up some links on cults. I will then prepare something for the cult chosen by any player who isn't able to spring for the books.

You asked in PM about the 1d100 background roll. Since we are doing Pavis, you can roll, but you may always choose to be a barbarian (Praxian nomad). We will also be doing the background from the back of the book (this has significant changes for anyone who happens to only have RQ2 just as a fair warning).

Frank

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by ffilz »

GreyWolfVT wrote:
ffilz wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Unfortunately I cannot afford the compendium. All I was really looking for is a list everything i find is just about creating one....I imagine there is a RuneQuest wiki or something out there i can just refer to to see what types of "cults" there are.
I'll dig up some links on cults. I will then prepare something for the cult chosen by any player who isn't able to spring for the books.

You asked in PM about the 1d100 background roll. Since we are doing Pavis, you can roll, but you may always choose to be a barbarian (Praxian nomad). We will also be doing the background from the back of the book (this has significant changes for anyone who happens to only have RQ2 just as a fair warning).

Frank
Ah ok. I rolled but I'll just fix that since it's Barbarian rather than peasant as my roll dictated. So by the back of the book for background are you talking about page 107? Where we can roll to see if we are a foot barbarian or a mounted barbarian?
Yea, Praxian nomads are automatically mounted barbarian. You will also need to select your tribe:

Bison, High Llama, Impala (you must be small for this tribe), Sable, Zebra

Other tribes are Bolo Lizard, Pol Joni, Rhino, and Unicorn (female warriors)

GreyWolfVT

#31 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ffilz wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:I'll select Bison for tribe sounds good and I don't want to put too much thinking into character generation. ;)
Bison sounds good. Are you going to go with Foundchild for hunter? Waha is the primary cultural cult, but that's more devoted to herding than hunting. Waha is an associated cult for Foundchild. If you don't have something with Foundchild in it, I can extract the text and send it to you.
I'm going with Hunter.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by ffilz »

GreyWolfVT wrote:
ffilz wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:I'll select Bison for tribe sounds good and I don't want to put too much thinking into character generation. ;)
Bison sounds good. Are you going to go with Foundchild for hunter? Waha is the primary cultural cult, but that's more devoted to herding than hunting. Waha is an associated cult for Foundchild. If you don't have something with Foundchild in it, I can extract the text and send it to you.
I'm going with Hunter.
Cool, do you need me to send you the info or did you have something with Foundchild in it?

GreyWolfVT

#33 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ffilz wrote: Cool, do you need me to send you the info or did you have something with Foundchild in it?
Sorry i don't have anything with foundchild in it so if you want to send me the info that would be cool.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by ffilz »

GreyWolfVT wrote:
ffilz wrote: Cool, do you need me to send you the info or did you have something with Foundchild in it?
Sorry i don't have anything with foundchild in it so if you want to send me the info that would be cool.
Will do. PM me an e-mail address.

Also, I like to use Google Docs to keep campaign notes and character information. If folks want to PM me an e-mail address I can use in Google Docs to invite you, I can give you edit capability. And on that note, for my Roll20 RQ campaign, I have the character information in a Google Sheet. I'm not sure if that's better than some kind of character sheet (could be sort of short form like the "monster" stats given in RQ modules, or a more long form character sheet). The Google Sheet makes it easy to look across and see who has a particular skill, but it's harder to take in a whole character. We could do a character sheet Doc with a summary table at the top of the most often referenced skills and abilities (back when I did face to face with paper and pencil character sheets, I would sometimes have a GM reference sheet with skills like Spot Hidden on it).

Frank

GreyWolfVT

#35 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Wulgar is my character Frank. However I did those sample "duck" rolls on the same character.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by ffilz »

I'm going to start a new thread where we can talk about what you're interested in exploring.

I'll repeat the call for you to PM me your e-mail that you can use with Google Docs. I've put up the Foundchild cult and can put more stuff up that I then give just you folks access to.

Frank

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by ffilz »

KevinRune wrote:If in Calvary Mercenaries do I leave with a Calvary Horse or Riding Horse.

I started a new Thread Character Sheets for people to post their completed Characters.
The rules aren't clear. I will say that yes, Cavalry Mercenaries get a Cavalry Horse (which has some details from RQ2, I will do some blending between RQ1 and RQ2 for horses). You also get the weapons trained with and the armor listed.

Thanks for starting the Character Sheets thread. I'd like folks to indicate their original stat, max stat, and current stat in the following form (except for INT and SIZ which normally don't change):

orig [max] cur

The limits for stats are (take the lowest limit):
for xDy max is x*y + x (i.e. 3D6 max is 18+3 = 21)
for xDy+z max is x*y+z+x+1 (if z is > 6 check with me, there might be more than a +1 - I don't think any PC races have more than +6)
for STR, CON, DEX max is 1.5 * original (round up)
for STR and CON max is the highest of CON, STR, SIZ

The die combo maxes apply to INT and SIZ as well, but not worth noting them since they are not normally improvable.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Rex »

Do we get to do the 5 years mentioned in the rules or do we start at 16 years old? If we do the five years do I re-roll my Lunars for each year (5d100) or just multiply my roll by 5? I would try for merc, but if I fail that I would go for a forester apprentice. For listed equipment can I substitute items? If so is it on a cost basis or just 1 item for 1 item (bow and arrows for sword for example)?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote:Do we get to do the 5 years mentioned in the rules or do we start at 16 years old? If we do the five years do I re-roll my Lunars for each year (5d100) or just multiply my roll by 5? I would try for merc, but if I fail that I would go for a forester apprentice. For listed equipment can I substitute items? If so is it on a cost basis or just 1 item for 1 item (bow and arrows for sword for example)?
You do the 5 years. Except fir noble you just get the starting cash once. Fur noble it tells you how it works. If you feel like the weapons aren’t right we can talk(they may indeed be wrong for Pavis and Prax).

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Rex »

Maybe I am just confused, are we using a house rule? Bottom of page 15 column 1 and top of page 15 column 1 has 5d100 lunars per year for poor noble and the note says this is usually cut off around his 21st year. This seems his biggest advantage by far, otherwise he won't be able to afford any training (I may not anyways with my horrible rolling).

Return to “Frank's RuneQuest 1”