Trinculo's character creation thread

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Trinculo's character creation thread

#1 Post by drpete »

Hi Trinculo!

Welcome aboard!

The first things I'll need from you are some 3d6 rolls for stats. Stats are rolled in order though you'll be able to swap a pair, if you like.

To make rolls, you'll need to go to unseenservant.com, and create an account. From there, you create a "character" that you associate with this campaign. The campaign ID is 682.

Once you have created a character (just the name) and limited it to this campaign, you can roll your stats under the "roll the dice" menu... you pull down the character, then type in dice rolling macros... something like: Strength [3d6] will create a strength roll.

Below each roll, code for copying into a forum post appears... you can use that, or just tell me you rolled, and I'll be able to see them :)

The stats are:
Strength
Agility
Stamina
Personality
Intelligence
Luck

Once you roll them, you can then decide if you want to swap a pair around to get a class you would like to play. The available classes are warrior, thief and wizard.

There is no xp bonus for good stats, but stats give benefits as you might expect (int is good for wizards, str is good for warriors, etc)

Once you get these stats worked out, we'll roll for some background type info, and some advantage/ disadvantages for your character.
Last edited by drpete on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trinculo
Strider
Strider

Re: Triculo's character creation thread

#2 Post by Trinculo »

It didn't look like there were a lot of wizards, so I'll be going for that class I do believe.

Stats:
Strength [3d6] = 13
Agility [3d6] = 16
Stamina [3d6] = 12
Personality [3d6] = 6
Intelligence [3d6] = 10
Luck [3d6] = 10

Nice! Let's do a little swapperoo between Agility and Intelligence. So I have 10 Agility and 16 Int (+1 spell known, and max spell-casting of 5th level spells.)

It took me a few errors, but here's my Birth Augur:
[1d30] = 13
Seventh Son: Spell Checks (modifier of 0 of course)

I'll just go ahead and roll for hitpoints and spells too while I'm at it.
We don't roll for background? What about a randomly determined piece of equipment?

Hitpoints [2d4] = 3

Spells (5):
Spell [1d27] = 25: Ventriloquism, Manifestation [1d4] = 3 Sparkling air

Spell [1d27] = 3: Charm Person, Manifestation [1d6] = 2 lulling harmony

Spell [1d27] = 13: Flaming Hands, Manifestation [1d4] = 2 fires spring from the wizard's fingertips

Spell [1d27] = 26: Ward Portal, Manifestation [1d6] = 1 sigil engraved upon portal

Spell [1d27] = 26: re-roll
Spell [1d27] = 18: Mending, Manifestation [1d4] = 2 object disappears then reappears mended

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by drpete »

Alright... jumping right in there :)

Let's see... instead of rolling for background as in regular dcc, you roll for country of origin and for a benison and a doom.

So, the next steps are a d8 for place of origin, a d20 for benison, and a d20 for doom (these would be modified by luck, but you have no luck bonus/ penalty).

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by drpete »

So, your character is from the Cold Waste (the North).

He is illiterate, and cannot even spell his own name. As a wizard, he uses some other form of mnemonic device to memorize spells.

He is also a "split soul" hero:

The PC and one other character in the party are two halves of a heroic whole. Due to the ineffable whims of reincarnation, a long-dead hero’s soul was broken in half when he or she reincarnated, with each fragment manifesting in a separate body. The two halves immediately recognize their shared connections (even if they don’t understand it or know why they have one) and likely become either boon companions or instant enemies. A PC with this benison chooses another player character who—assuming he agrees—also gains this benison for free. It does not count against the second PC’s starting number of benisons nor require the player to roll for another doom. This benison allows each Split Soul PC to spend Luck with double the benefit to help the other. Each point of Luck grants a +2 bonus to the assisted PC’s roll. Also, Split Soul Heroes can spend permanent Luck in addition to fleeting Luck to help one another and regain this expended Luck much faster. (See Part Four: Luck in Lankhmar for full details on this process.) This benison can apply to more than one PC. If two or more PCs begin the game rolling or choosing this benison, they can possibly form an entire party of Split Soul Heroes, the reincarnated forms of a great hero whose soul was fragmented multiple times. The death of a Split Soul Hero ends the mortal connection between the two PCs.

We'll need to figure out who your "other half" is, somehow...

Trinculo
Strider
Strider

#6 Post by Trinculo »

Haha awesome.

So the party is currently a thief and a wizard? I would have gone Warrior if I had known, but perhaps the other new player can go for that.

So what about equipment?
Oh, and background.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by drpete »

You can roll starting money as a 1st level wizard, and select equipment as usual.

There is no background in the sense of former gongfarmer... you are an illiterate roguish wizard from the north, with this strange split soul thing going on.

For language, you know the North Speak tongue, low Lankhmarese (common) and with your int, 4 more languages.

Roll d12's to determine them (roll until you get 4 different numbers)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by drpete »

These languages are:
High Lankhmarese
Mingol
Horborixic
Quarmallian

You also need to roll spell stipulations for each of your spells... a d100 for each one.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by drpete »

Ventriloquism: Spell requires the caster have a personal belonging or physical piece of its target in order to be cast effectively. Lacking this sympathetic connection, the caster suffers a -4 penalty to his spell check.

Charm Person: Spell is thwarted by iron. If cast against a target wielding an iron weapon, the spell check suffers a -2 penalty. If the spell is cast against a subject clad in iron armor, the spell check suffers a -1d penalty. These penalties are not cumulative and only the largest applies.

Flaming Hands: Spell requires the caster to utilize a pair of small mirrors to focus mystical forces.

Ward Portal: Spell requires a prism of cut glass be held to the caster’s forehead to enhance his mental power while casting the spell.

Mending: No special stipulation

Trinculo
Strider
Strider

#12 Post by Trinculo »

Interesting.

Am I illiterate in all the languages I know?

Edit: these stipulations are brutal. Hand-mirrors are super expensive, not sure about a prism of glass though.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by drpete »

Indeed, you are illiterate in all languages...

Illiterate: The PC is incapable of reading any language he speaks. He cannot even write his own name. Wizards with this doom do not possess spellbooks and employ some other mnemonic device to learn their magics. A comprehend languages spell temporarily overcomes this doom. This doom may be overcome permanently with education at the judge’s discretion.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by drpete »

I hear ya on the harsh stipulations. Some stuff will just open up with time, I guess. I'll try to find a semi official cost on that prism.

One last roll... a d100 for intriguing item.

Trinculo
Strider
Strider

Re: Trinculo's character creation thread

#15 Post by Trinculo »

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by drpete »

On your languages:
High Lankhmarese is the language of Lankhmart scholars, nobles, educated merchants, and so forth, but understandable by all native Lankhmarts. The Ghouls of Nehwon also speak High Lankhmarese. The alphabet of Lankhmarese is comprised of intricate hieroglyphics. Low Lankhmarese is a pidgin form of Lankhmarese used as the common trade tongue in the northern half of Nehwon. Low Lankhmarese is also the language of the City of the Black Toga’s lower classes. Those who speak High Lankhmarese can understand this dialect and vice-versa.

Mingol, sometimes called Mingolish, is the dialect of the Steppes spoken by the Mingol people. A pidgin version of Mingol is spoken by the Ice Gnomes of the Cold Waste.

Horborixic, one of the “three Eastern tongues” Vlana was fluent in, is the language of the King of Kings and all those under his rule. It is the primary language of the Eastern Lands; Horborixic is spoken by beggar and king alike.

Quarmallian is the language of the subterranean city of Quarmall and the surrounding villages and farms. It is an old language and it is seldom encountered outside of Quarmall’s immediate environs.

Quarmallian is what is considered an exotic dialect. Any sense how you came to know it?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by drpete »

Trinculo wrote:[1d100] = 90
You have a bear skin cloak.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:
Trinculo wrote:Not twins, no, I think having two fractured parts of the same soul is enough.
Same tribe? Rival Tribe? Different parts of the Cold Wastes?

How old is your PC? I'll just match you.

Trinculo
Strider
Strider

#19 Post by Trinculo »

Trinculo's a wizard; he learned Quarmallian for some wizard reason. *shrug* Fill that detail in later.

Trinculo and Marullus' character come from rival tribes in the Cold Waste. They have not met before.
Learning wizardry takes a while, right? He should be 30.

Trinculo
Strider
Strider

#20 Post by Trinculo »

Okay! Are we done with character creation? I put a sheet up in the sheet thread.

New name: Asle Lunn

Return to “DrPete's Lankhmar Game (DCC)”