[Closed] 2: On the Road (Kenta, Senichi)

Starbeard
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: On the Road: Kenta, Senichi

#61 Post by Rex »

Kenta

"I am willing to investigate Lord Fusaaki. Do you have any information on these bandits?"

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by ffilz »

So far Senichi has followed the instruction to remain in his rooms (I guess if he is sharing rooms with Kenta it would make sense to accompany him).

If there is something useful he can do (that doesn't drag him off from his goal of reaching the pass), he will be happy to lend a hand.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Starbeard »

I think you would both be sharing a room, since you are travelling together.

The daimyo Daidoji Fusaaki knows little of these particular bandits. "There two bandit bands that are known to operate in these parts. There is the thief who goes by the name Onitoki, "Demon Omen"—he commands a small group of vagabonds, fewer than a dozen. Then there are the Terrible Bloodbrothers, a gang of ronin. Both are known to have set up territorial protection rackets in this province, but it is difficult for us to know who controls any which village. As with most gangs, they rely on terror and reputation, and resort to violence only when they must. It has been a while since we have had any serious problems with attacks on travellers, we Daidoji pride ourselves on keeping the roads safe here, and they daren't cross us in open battle."

After short conversation you confirm that the unnamed village he is speaking of is in fact the place you stayed the other night. It would take a full day to travel back there, arriving under cover of night. Assuming a day of investigation, that would be a delay of at least three days from your primary journey.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by ffilz »

I don’t think we have time for a three day delay
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rex »

Kenta

"I must apologize Lord Fusaaki, We have somewhere we must be by a certain day and that would be going in the wrong direction. Perhaps we could scout the road along our journey?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Starbeard »

Okay, picking things back up. Thanks for the patience:

Lord Daidoji Fusaaki is disheartened at your refusal, but understands your obligations. "Yes, any information you send on your way would be very welcome. Please leave this place as friends, and come again—hopefully under kinder circumstances."

Long Month, 1st (Morning Day, High Week)

The weather is much better today: warm, sunny, dry and with a pleasant breeze.

You ride west along the last stretch of the Way of the Faint Echo of Glory, making good time. About halfway through daylight you arrive at a rather impressive Imperial way station, guarded by a full compliment of ten magisterial samurai and twenty ashigaru footsoldiers. They look over Kenta's fake papers carefully, but don't seem to notice the forgery and let him pass.

When you inquire about the road ahead, the guard tells you that from this point on you will be in Lion territory, at least until you pass Matsu Castle and turn into Beiden Pass. Matsu Castle is the citadel of the ferocious Matsu matriarchy, the chief rivals to the Akodo family for control of the Lion Clan.

"If you leave now you will reach Matsu Castle just before dark, lords. From there, the road links to Beiden Pass, but it will take you two more days to climb the pass to your destination."

Since this is a potential problem for Senichi, I'll point out that these castle towns have sprawling villages around them, unprotected by walls. The major imperial roads each lead straight through the surrounding neighborhoods up to the castle itself, but you can carry on up the road without actually visiting the castle—though you still have to go through the town. You can also offroad it by finding smaller village paths that bypass the town altogether, but then you're at the mercy of asking directions or getting lost, and Senichi's Way of the Land advantage doesn't apply in this province.

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: no armor (TN10), naginata 6k4 (DR 7k3) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: no armor (TN10), wakizashi 3k2 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;6, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spell Slots: F3/A2/W3/E2
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;5 - Gl 0;0 - Wds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by ffilz »

Does passing through the town cause problems? What are the ramifications of not visiting the castle?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote:Does passing through the town cause problems? What are the ramifications of not visiting the castle?
Good question. Let's think about this.

I think passing through the town in itself shouldn't constitute a problem, but it does mean you'll be a rather obvious Unicorn samurai walking through a town full of Lions, and right now the two clans are on the verge of a cold war. The Matsu are especially known to be tempestuous, so you can expect that any brash samurai you come across will pick a fight rather than give you the cold shoulder.

Not visiting the castle can go either way. If your presence in town becomes known at the castle, then the reaction will depend on the Matsu daimyo's personality. She may not care, or she may purposely decide that she's offended just to have a chance to pick a fight and send a message to the Unicorn Clan.

I don't think either of your PCs are from clans that would find it dishonorable to try traveling incognito, but if you are discovered sneaking around in disguise then you may lose Glory, which could lose a bit of Honor with it.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote:
ffilz wrote:Does passing through the town cause problems? What are the ramifications of not visiting the castle?
Good question. Let's think about this.

I think passing through the town in itself shouldn't constitute a problem, but it does mean you'll be a rather obvious Unicorn samurai walking through a town full of Lions, and right now the two clans are on the verge of a cold war. The Matsu are especially known to be tempestuous, so you can expect that any brash samurai you come across will pick a fight rather than give you the cold shoulder.

Not visiting the castle can go either way. If your presence in town becomes known at the castle, then the reaction will depend on the Matsu daimyo's personality. She may not care, or she may purposely decide that she's offended just to have a chance to pick a fight and send a message to the Unicorn Clan.

I don't think either of your PCs are from clans that would find it dishonorable to try traveling incognito, but if you are discovered sneaking around in disguise then you may lose Glory, which could lose a bit of Honor with it.
Ok, sounds like trying to bypass is the best way to accomplish my goals. It would probably be a safer route for Kenta also, less likely to run into someone who will scrutinize his papers.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Rex »

Kenta agrees on try to go around the castle.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Starbeard »

Here's the ruling I'll give on moving going cross-country in unknown lands: the party member with the highest Perception rolls that trait, and your orienteering is based on what TN you reached:

≤TN 5 — hopelessly lost, additional encounter check
TN 5 — roll again, plus additional encounter check: 1-5) half movement, 6-8) no movement, 9-10) lost
TN 10 — half movement, but may not be quite in the direction you wanted to go
TN 15 — full movement as normal
TN 25 — full movement and you won't get lost here again

Both PCs have Perception 3, so it doesn't matter who rolls.
Perception roll: [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 2 — total 9, roll again;
[1d10] = 8no appreciable movement for the day.

You thank the guard for the information and move on, finding the first opportunity to leave the raised highway and use country lanes to cut across the land, bypassing Matsu Castle entirely.

The countryside is pocked full of small and large villages, all of which make way for you as you pass because of Senichi's priestly status. The Spine of the World Mountains can be seen easily in the distance, but the paths and wheat fields are confusing. You end up having to zig-zag your way through the foothills, backtracking here and there, and eventually giving up on making any significant progress for the day.

Asking for a place to stay in a Lion village would break Senichi's vow of honor, but fortunately you manage to find an unmanned roadside shrine to a local nature god. It's tiny, but there's a roof to protect you from weather. The evening is pleasant and uneventful.

Long Month, 2nd (Cursed Day, High Week)

The weather continues to be pleasant and dry. You make good time, and from the look of it you think you can reach the foothills of Beiden Pass by the end of the day. (Travel roll: [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 7 — 16, normal movement)

Walking through a little path in a forest of bamboo and maple, you are startled by a horse that comes crashing through the thicket and runs off. (Perception rolls for surprise…) You hear a few voices, and peek through the thicket to see three Lion samurai in the middle of capturing a pair young scouts with Daidoji Crane markings on their armor.

One of the Lion is trying to corral two of the Crane horses, and on the ground nearby are a third Crane and a fourth Lion—both of them look dead. It appears they aren't yet aware of your presence.

Actions?

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: no armor (TN10), naginata 6k4 (DR 7k3) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: no armor (TN10), wakizashi 3k2 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;6, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spell Slots: F3/A2/W3/E2
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;5 - Gl 0;0 - Wds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rex »

Kenta

For Surprise Perception [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 7
[1d10] = 8
Total of 32

Kenta doesn't like the look of this and knowing Senichi's issues with Lions he will follow his lead.

Do we have a campaign ID?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Starbeard »

Rex wrote:Kenta

For Surprise Perception [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 7
[1d10] = 8
Total of 32

Kenta doesn't like the look of this and knowing Senichi's issues with Lions he will follow his lead.

Do we have a campaign ID?
Sorry, my poor wording there: I was indicating that I rolled surprise for both sides behind the screen, and your party has the jump on the situation. So assume that you have surprise in the good old classic D&D sense.

Campaign ID is 673.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Rex »

Got it.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by ffilz »

Sorry, I've been very distracted...

We clearly can't take on 3 samurai, I'm at a loss of what to do other than take note of what seems to have transpired and quietly sneak away.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Rex »

We might pull it off, 3 on 2 isn't horrible odds if you have surprise.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by ffilz »

Rex wrote:We might pull it off, 3 on 2 isn't horrible odds if you have surprise.
I suppose you only die once... How does surprise work in this game? If we can quickly cut down at least one of the Lion taking the Crane prisoner we can also get help from the Crane.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Rex »

Not sure on how surprise works. Starbeard?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Starbeard »

I don't think there are surprise rules in the game. I'll rule that you just get a free round against them. Keep in mind that this means you can make a Full Attack for +2k0 to your roll, without having to worry about them retaliating against your reduced TN to be hit of 5.

If you close to melee they'll still notice you and get their default TN to be hit, but ranged attacks and spells will essentially be ambushes, treating them as prone/unaware targets with a TN of 5.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rex »

Kenta

Kents attacks the closest one with his Naginata, all out attack, trying to kill as quickly as possible. My weapon is 7K4 and I think I do extra damage for my size.

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”