Side Trek: Through the Cotillion of Hours

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Side Trek: Through the Cotillion of Hours

#81 Post by Raven Crowking »

"You know me better than you know," she says, taking Jed's arm. "As I know you. You walk in the Dream of Somnos, and almost all you will encounter here is a product of His dreaming mind.....or is something you have brought into the dream with you. Few creatures from the material planes can sojourn here in the flesh."

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#82 Post by Dumnbunny »

"Somnos, yes; I should be seeking him out, yet I find your company pleasant. If it isn't rude to ask, what darkest need caused you call out to Him?"
Jed [AC: 14, HP: 9/10, Deity Disapproval: 1-2], Murq [AC: 13, 8/8]

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#83 Post by Raven Crowking »

"The imminent death of myself and my companions, in a dark and evil place."

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#84 Post by Dumnbunny »

"That sounds very ... familiar. Speaking of companions, I've enjoyed our talk, but I should get back to seeking Somnos, then my companions." Unless she seeks to detain him, Jed will head for and pass thought the double-doors to the north, passing through a half-door if need be.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by Raven Crowking »

Jed can traverse the outer ring to reach any door; the half-doors lead only into the garden.

He discovers that the double doors are locked.

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#86 Post by Dumnbunny »

Jed examines the double doors. If nothing catches his eye, he continues around the outer ring to try the east door. If it is open and he is otherwise unhinered, he will pass through it. If it should happen to be locked as well, then he will try the same thing with the west door.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by Raven Crowking »

A chime rings. You are now down to 1 chime.

Beyond the door is a room filled with music and masked figures engaged in a complex and stately dance. They move in couples and quartets, changing partners frequently, and their steps take them across all of the amber and ebony blocks of the ballroom floor. The vaulted ceiling is covered with mosaics of red flamingos, while murals on the wall depict horned horses and great aurochs the colour of ivory. Another passage leads off to the north.

Dumnbunny
Tracker
Tracker

#88 Post by Dumnbunny »

Jed takes some time to watch the dancers, see if he can pick it up. If it doesn't seem too terribly complex, he will look someone without a partner or some other opportunity to join in.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#89 Post by Raven Crowking »

Jed joins the dance, which seems less complex from without than it is within. He dances with a nice woman wearing a harlequin mask for some time before noticing that, apart from his own mask, he is completely nude. Moreover, he is no longer male. This seems to go on for a long time, with Jed neither getting appreciably closer to the door or exit the dance.

At last, he hears a chime ring, and with that sound he awakens in his own bed, clad in his night garments, and physically unchanged, at least so far as gender is concerned.

Note: Now that the Cotillion has ended, I have one other thing to tell you. Murq was assassinated in the dream by an analogue of himself from the plane of dreams, another portion of his psyche that is now ascendant, and is of opposite alignment (if neutral, equal chances of Law or Chaos dominating).

Return to “DCC RPG Barrowmaze”