Chapter 1: So it begins.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 1: So it begins.

#1 Post by Rex »

It is a gloomy, overcast, autumn day in Olokand, shire moot of Meselynshire in the Kingdom of Kaldor.

You have been approached Odell of Risene, master miner, representative of the Miners Guild. The Miners Guild would like to hire you to investigate and deal with an issue at the Amba Mine, just north of Loban village. They are willing to pay 150sp up front and an additional 300sp upon successful completion. A dozen miners mine tin there. Roughly 2 months ago over a 10 day period 3 miners disappeared, including the guild-master of the mine. Blood and some torn clothing was found after the second and third murder. The miners fled to Loban Manor, which is in charge of security at the mine. The matter was apparently investigated by Sir Kathel Dezaller the lord of the manor, but no one was brought to justice. Murders then began at the village of Loban. The miners just recently arrived in Olokand with the news. The Sheriff has been notified and he has sent a messenger to Loban for details, but he has not returned. Loban's annual feudal obligation, 100 bushels of rye, is due but has not yet arrived. It has never been late before. Odell begs you to accept and make haste.

Loban is a 2 day trip from Olokand with 4 villages along the way.

OOC: Map to Loban posted in HarnWorld Information thread. For reference, The monthly income of a master blacksmith is 72sp, a master chandler is 54sp and a hunter/trapper is 42sp

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chapter 1: So it begins.

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sheamus O'Connell taking the matter seriously nods quick agreement and has little to say other than "We should head out now."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by alver »

Ingvar counts on his fingers. "Four and a half hundred silver."

He glances up at the Jarin, who towers a full foot above him. "Now Sheamus my friend. Let's not be hasty. This is no small amount of coin but is it a fair price? How many shares do we divide it in?" He glances around.

Not sure how many party members we have here. Followers present?

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sheamus looks down at Ingvar "Money we can sort out later this is a mission to save miners and find out and stop what or who is killing them. I don't like murder of innocents. I take it more seriously being that they are day laborers."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by VonAlric »

Rodbert tugs slightly at his hood, an unconscious move making sure most, if not all, of his face is shadowed. "It would seem a fair price, Ingvar. That sum, divided between us five, would generally be more than I can make in a month, thereabouts. What is more troublesome for me is that I do business in Loban. If something is killing people and possibly robbing them, I want to find out and have it taken care of."

He turns slightly to Sheamus. "While haste is of importance, I would rather have more knowledge of the situation. Those miners are here in town, wouldn't you like to hear any personal views on what happened?"
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sheamus listens to Robert "Yes that is a good idea it would be nice to know what it is that we might face. I sometimes am a little rash and like to deal with things rather than think on it. You are a wise one Robert."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

As everyone discusses options and pay Odell of Risene speaks up. "Did I forget to mention, I have here an introductory letter to Sir Kathel Dezalle explaining that you are agents of the Miners Guild. And here a letter of credit to cover your lodgings, stabling and meals at the Ambarin Warrior Inn for a 10 day."

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by alver »

Ingvar

"Fair enough, fair enough." He nods at Sheamus and Rodbert, then turns to Odell, grinning and smoothly taking the letters from the man's hand: "How could we refuse such a hospitable offer. Of course we will enjoy the fine inn and meals for a tenday. And we will slay the beast that has come to eat your miners and peasants. Won't we, sister?"

The last comment was meant for the young woman, Solvi, who had been standing and listening with her arms crossed on her chest. She wears a reddish colored long-sleeved dress with a thick woolen apron-like piece over it. It is decorated with a silver brooch with stylized battleaxes. Another somewhat unusual accessory is a long straight sword on her belt that looks like it is being put to constant use.

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sheamus nods his head agreeing with Ingvar "Yes that is a grand offer. We will surely enjoy the inn."

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by LtTibbles »

Humfrey swats at an errant fly that's been darting around his head. "Shoo! Shoo! Blasted little devil! While I do enjoy a good inn, who should we be seeking out to question first, the Sheriff or the Miners? I'd like to be on our way sooner than later, for the people of Loban's sake."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

As Humfrey finishes speaking, Odell nervously speaks. "I can certainly arrange for you to meet with the miners, the sheriff may be another matter altogether and I doubt he knows anything. As I said he sent a messenger and as of this morning he had not returned and is long overdue."

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by VonAlric »

"Master Odell, do not fret. Arrange the miners with haste, good sir." Rodbert sits back a little in the chair and raises his right hand, index finger extended. "Ernest, if you would..."

A young man, a bit gangly, steps up. "Yes, Rodb... err.. umm. Sorry about that." Rodbert's head makes a tiny jerk and slight turn towards the man. "Yes sir, what do you need of me?"
"I do not think that we have any vellum here. You need to run get some plus any writing tools. Make haste." Ernest nods and takes off.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Odell seems relived. "Thank you very much, come along this way. the miners are staying at a relatives barn just outside the town, perhaps a 30 minute walk." He then leads you off just south of the town proper.

Upon arriving Odell introduces you to the 7 miners present, they all appear to be hard men, not the type to be easily shaken. Going left to right. "This is Asher, Omar, Ezra, Caleb, Dathan, Shad and Archer." After his introductions Odell offers "Please ask any questions you think may be useful."
Attachments
Miner.PNG
Miner.PNG (228.83 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by alver »

Assuming mules, carts and all won't be taken along to this walk.

Before leaving with Odell, Ingvar asked Solvi to look after the horse and left his spear and shield with her. She will likely also scare off any unwanted individuals who would show interest in the others' gear.

Ingvar will wait for the others to open up with the questioning, for now.

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sheamus being fairly simple merely asks the miners "Would you tell us what you have witnessed going on at the Amba Mine?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Caleb speaks up. "Well about two months ago now Gwarn disappeared, left no trace. Mind you, we thought he just ran off and deserted, it happens sometimes. Then four days latter Sal vanished. This time when we checked where he was last seen, over by the forge, we found part of his tunic. Tattered and soaked in blood, not that old. Some drops led off into the woods but quickly ended. We were all on edge then, something was up and we knew it. We kept someone up all night and a fire burning in the bunkhouse and forge all day and night. No one saw or heard anything, but six days latter Guild Master Merk vanished. We searched everywhere, a short walk from the mine in the woods west of the mine we found part of his blood soaked tunic. There was blood everywhere. We didn't find any sort of trail, nothing we could follow. That was enough, we packed up and headed for Loban as quick as we could. Once we got to the manor we told his Lordship what had happened and we weren't going back until it was made safe. Him and his squire went and searched, I don't know what as none of us would go. Then he went and tracked down Martin the Hermit, talked to him I heard. then a few days latter the first murder in Loban happened. Some poor boy, barely a man. No blood, but some scuff marks and his hat were found not far from his cottage. They put us up and fed us, did there best to try to keep everyone safe, but finally we decided it was best to make a run for Olokand after the third murder in Loban. Something is killing everyone, slowly but surely I tell you, surely as the sun rises." Caleb finishes, wide eyed and nearly hysterical. The rest of the miners were nodding and making agreeing noises as he spoke, clearly something has the whole lot of them shook up good.

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by LtTibbles »

Humfrey solemnly shakes his head at the miner's tale. "Terrible just terrible...We must get to the bottom of this ghastly business at once! Who is this hermit fellow?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

"Martin is the old trapper that lives 2 or 3 miles west of the mine, his shack is on a small lake. He trades in Loban and they seem to like him fine. We would trade with him on occasion for meat or herbs for the stew. Odd sort, doesn't have much use for coin so you always have to figure out something useful to trade with him." Ezra blurts out with no pauses.

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by alver »

Ingvar takes a break from picking between his teeth with a finger. "The killer comes at night each time then? How is it that nobody sees or hears anything. And the village dogs, they do not bark?"

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Sheamus listening and nodding his head finally chimes in "Sounds like some of the old tales I was told growing up. About creatures that only come out at night. Always thought they were just tales to make children stay in at night."

Return to “HarnWorld Campaign (BlueHolme)”