First Expedition

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

First Expedition

#1 Post by Black Wyvern »

You were selected by the lords of the lands to rescue their heirs from the dread clutches of whichever minion of Krixiem has abducted them. The Lords and Ladies sent the Grand Mage Elestren to send you off. The ancient Elestren meets you at the docks of Katel, once a city second only to Herden on the shores of the Tolmeny, now little more than a fishing village on the outskirts of the Dutish Realms. Elestren informs you that she was bid by the Dutish Royalty to give you three gifts to aid you in your mission.

First of the Lords’ gifts is a one foot cube of wood, which when Elestren speaks the word “fosgailte” unfolds into a longboat with a mast but no sail. Upon uttering the word “dùin” it folds back into the small box. Second of the Lords’ gifts is a round piece of black cloth that when unfolded and placed on a flat surface opens into a 10’ by 10’ room. The final gift is a battered canvas sail that when mounted on a mast is always filled with a good wind.

The mage hands the gifts over to you and begins to speak, her voice cracking with exhaustion. “All of my scrying says your quest must begin at the heart of the Charred Isle at Krixiem's tower. You must beware, all things there are twisted. Even the land itself will attempt to bring you down. When Krixiem was destroyed there was no strength left in us to cleanse the isle. Every foul thing the Lich Lord summoned and created there remains. His study was never entered and most of his minions escaped justice. Some have since found it but many more still wander the lands. Of those more than a handful are mighty necromancers and demonologists in their own right. Would that I could go with you and finish what I started so long ago but it is past me now.

Know that before we made our final assault we cleared a small islet fortress and used it to plan our last strike. Though the walls were broken there is still shelter there and the area was sanctified by Father Brithael the mightiest priest of the Dutish in those dark days. Find and secure it and you will have a sturdy base to rest in. Stay not one eve on foul soil for its darkness can corrupt your very souls. Luck be with you!”
She says with a frail smile.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: First Expedition

#2 Post by ravenn4544 »

Sir Ulric shakes his head in judgement "A Lich Lord you say? A creature that strives to cheat death and sow evil - one that scoffs at the laws of the Gods! His evil followers the same. Justice to be served in deed!"

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Thulgrir Silverfoot looks as if to spit on the floor then recalls where he is "It's a durned abomination re-animatin the dead bah! Necromancers gotta be stopped by all means. An a lich ta boot, count me in."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Thebadgamer98
Strider
Strider

#4 Post by Thebadgamer98 »

Cailean the Heartbreaker

Cailean listens intently and nods along as the Grand Mage speaks. After they have been told of their mission in the world, she will remain silent and listen to what the whole party of adventurers has to say about the situation.

Longfingers
Scout
Scout

#5 Post by Longfingers »

Sakura

The slim woman with the delicate features of one suffused with the blood of elves watched the others, saying nothing as her mind wrestled briefly with their unfamiliar dialects. At the revelation that she was to travel to an island swarming with undead, a fleeting, enigmatic smile had brushed her lips. Now I see why my lord sent me on this mission... .

In flawless, yet stilted common, she enquired once we reach this place, who amongst you will lead us?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Dram »

Cheyrth- Listens carefully to the Mage lord. Are you saying that we search for the missing hiers during the day and sail back here?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#7 Post by Black Wyvern »

Elestren gives Cheyrth a confused look. "No you can stay at the islet fortress it is within sight of the tower. Even in its ruined state it will provide you a safe haven away from the curse of Krixiem. As you recover the heirs you can return them here or come back if you need to resupply or rest. I will be here waiting for you to finish your quest."
Last edited by Black Wyvern on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by ravenn4544 »

Sir Ulric the Just draws his sword, it's magical blue light visible even now, and raises it high. "I will lead you on this quest!".

He kneels before the party, sword tip in the ground and bowed head to the hilt. "Let Justice be served in the days to come! Let our strength and wit combat this evil! I swear to serve until the quest is complete! Let us sail forth to this broken keep and begin! Master Mage! Careful directions to this place if you please!"

He stands proudly and sheaths his sword and awaits the unfurling of the boat and sail to set forth.

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#9 Post by Black Wyvern »

Elestren holds out the gifts from the three lords, waiting for someone to claim them from her.

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Black Wyvern wrote:Elestren holds out the gifts from the three lords, waiting for someone to claim them from her.
Thulgrir steps up and accepts the gifts from the 3 lords.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

wapsii
Strider
Strider

#11 Post by wapsii »

"Nice toys to play with." Jesse says as Thulgrir takes them.

Longfingers
Scout
Scout

#12 Post by Longfingers »

Sakura

Sakura gave Sir Ulric a formal bow. I pledge, in the name of the Emperor who sits on the Phoenix throne, that I shall aid you in any way I am able she intoned solemnly. I have some skill in magic and at arms, and serve Amaterasu, mistress of the dawn she continued, drawing forth a delicate silver chain from beneath her robes, on which hung a golden medallion that glowed with a strong, warming light.

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by Black Wyvern »

Elestren smiles gently at the paladin. "Do not worry Lord. You will have no trouble finding it. The sail will take you to where you direct it to go. Good luck to you. These men will see to the stabling of your horses and their care while you are gone." A small group of grooms move forward and await the surrender of each of your mounts into their care.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Dram »

Cheyrth- Moves with others to the shore line to prepare to board the magical ship. Shall board the ship?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by ravenn4544 »

Sir Ulric nods decisively. "Yes! Yes! Let us sail to Justice!"

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Thulgrir Silverfoot scoffs looking at the ship "Aint right, sailin. I like me feet right ere on solid ground." the defiant dwarf states but forces himself to board the ship.

Longfingers
Scout
Scout

#17 Post by Longfingers »

Sakura will utter a brief word of prayer to Susanoo, God of the seas, then step lightly aboard.

wapsii
Strider
Strider

#18 Post by wapsii »

Jesse climbs aboard the ship. "Well, lets shove off and rescue the captives.

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#19 Post by Black Wyvern »

The group boards the longboat. On command the sail sets it heading and fills full of wind, even though the day is deadly calm, hurtling the landing boat out into the ruined lake. Algae grows thick on the surface of the lake with so few fish to control it. You soon find yourselves shooting through a three foot tall isle of the green goo. An event that doesn't even cause the small boat to lurch.

The first day passes uneventfully, once you become used to cutting through algae islets, other than a red dragon passing high overhead and far to the East of you. The great reptile was barely visible and apparently took no notice of your boat. The sun grows low in the sky and finally sets leaving you in darkness. A night fog wraps thickly around you when combined with the chill of the air it sends those not protected from it under their cloaks.

About five hours after dark the sail slackens and the boat drifts to a stop just at it is about to tap against a sheer rock wall that you could not see until it is upon you. Holding out a light you are able to make out that you are at a small dock about 10' wide and 40' long that runs the along the seawall. There is no sign of occupation. A flight of crumbling stairs climbs steeply up the wall.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by ravenn4544 »

Sir Ulric confidently strides from the boat onto the dock. "It seems our gifts have led us true. What do you make of those stairs? Will they deliver us safely above?"

Return to “The Charred Isle: A Funhouse (1e)”