The Firehouse. Home sweet home.

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: The Firehouse. Home sweet home.

#2 Post by Zeromancer »

The ride from Fort Smith Regional Airport had been a fairly rapid one. The cab driver was a real pro who seemed to know every shortcut and back alley in town. If Jacob was going to be Unit 316's primary wheelman, he needed to know what this guy did. A casual query or two later and he learned the name of his favorite local watering hole. He would be sure to pick the guy's brain sometime.

Upon arrival, Jacob paid the guy his fare plus an ample tip for rapidity. He quickly unloaded his bags from the trunk and then the cab sped away. Anxious to get out of the rain, he hastily approached the nondescript building and tried the key that had arrived via courier a few days prior. Click. He noticed that there was only one light on from his present vantage, perhaps an office? He shut the door behind him and moved forward.

"Hello!?" he called out.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Taaz »

It's nice to be back in the south," thought Jason, "at least I can get sweet tea again." He started day dreaming about the local cuisine as the cab finished parking. "Here we are, first day..." the cab pulled back out and leaving Jason his footlocker and luggage just barely out of the rain.

"Now where did I put that key" he started fumbling through his pockets. Oh right, it's in the envelope in my packet, that's in here. After digging he found the key still in the envelope stapled to his introductory packet.

Soaked and disheveled Jason reached out and the door was unlocked. "Figures." He chuckled. Stepping in to the HQ, "Hello? Anybody home?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Bluehorse »

The Firehouse
Home Sweet Home
Aug. 8, 2018 1pm
Hot, Humid, Rainy

As the two rookies walk up to the firehouse, they see the door is open and can walk right in. As the door chimes, a young woman looks up from her computer as she takes a bite out of a croissant. Kathy... someone is here... I'll have to call you back... She hangs up the phone and puts the pastry down on a napkin, brushing her hands as she stands up. She is dressed smartly in bright colors, a skirt, and a simple top. She looks like a dancer or at the very least like some kind of athlete, perhaps a running. (roll mod Brains if you like and see if your character can figure it out. Mod means roll at least a 10 or more for success. Make sure one of your dice is a ghost dice. If it comes up a 6, something goes wrong. ;) ) She points a finger with a lithe hand. Wait! You can't come in here, we are not open yet. Deliveries come in through the back, I can meet you at the back door.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#5 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Thanks for driving me, Kev. Here, Lionel says, reaching into his pocket for a twenty dollar bill. This is for gas.

Nah, Little Bro. Happy to do it. I still don't understand your job, but if it pays the bills, you can pretend to hunt ghosts all you want.

Putting the cash back in his pocket, Lionel responds, Why can't you believe me, Kevin? Ghosts are real. I saw mom and dad at the funeral. Just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't there. Sometimes, ghosts don't want everyone to see them. They just appear to a specific person, usually for a reason. There's a technical term for that, selective something or other, I can't remember. Anyway, thanks again. Getting out of the car quickly so his brother can't argue, he grabs his belongings from the trunk.

Standing in the rain with his hand on the door handle, the butterflies start up again. He hasn't felt this nervous since the last time he was on a football field. Knowing this is nothing like the game he used to play, he still gets the same nervous excitement he used to get before kickoff. Smiling, he tests the door, finding it to be unlocked. Hello! Who's here already? he calls, entering the firehouse. Finding some of his fellow Busters are already here, he introduces himself. Hey guys, I'm Lionel. You from around here? I'm from Fayetteville, so I guess that makes me a local, although I'm not really familiar with town, here. You guys pick bunks yet? I'd rather have a bottom bunk if there's still one available. After introductions, he'll take a tour of the firehouse- dropping off his stuff and picking a bed, finding the kitchen and the rec-room before checking out their professional gear.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Taaz »

"Oh hi!" Jason smiles and begins shifting the junk in his hands again, looking for his paper work. You must be Miss... Uhh..its in here somewhere, code of conduct, liability weavers....Ah Miss Dusnt! He tries to put his paperwork back and only drops a couple of sheets. He stretches out his hand to the young woman. "It is a pleasure to meet you, I am a new field buster from the NYC office, Jason O'Roarke at your service" He beams her with the kind of smile only a little kid could conjure.

Looking over he sees a tall slender man standing with luggage and still dripping from the rain, "Hi, I'm Jason," he again extends his hand "Good ta meet ya"

An imposing figure had just walked in and Jason turns to the man. "Hey I'm Jason, Originally from Kentucky, but and never made it down this way. Still feels a lot more like home than NYC"

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Zeromancer »

Jacob had only made it part way down the hallway when he heard the door reopen behind him. The young man winced when he realized that he had neglected to lock it behind him. Even in this backwater town, it was still a good practice. He glanced over his shoulder, but relaxed when he observed the man's appearance. Another recruit, no doubt. Jacob gestured toward the lighted room and said, "I think someone else is already here, could be that secretary with the silky smooth voice." He grinned, and continued onward.

When Jacob entered the office and came face to face with its occupant, his jaw fell open, and he seemed incapable of removing his eyes from the young beauty. It was clearly love at first sight. Uncharacteristically at a loss for words, Jake was relieved when the other man broke the awkward silence. He followed his fellow recruit's example and managed to stammer out his own name, "Jake, erm... Jacob Matz, Miss." His palm now sweaty, he inadvisedly reached out to shake the woman's hand.

While the ill-fated encounter had been taking place, yet another recruit had wandered in behind them. Jacob, now realized that his hand was practically drenched with sweat, wiped it clean and shook the hands of the other two men. "No, we only just got here." he answered, abruptly, still rather perturbed by his blown first impression.
Brains: [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 4, (Ghost) [1d6] = 6

OOC: LOL! Wow... a failure w/ a ghost die on my very first roll. So much for first impressions... I'll write it in. :oops:

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Bluehorse »

Julia realizes these are the recuits she will be working with and blinks for a moment as that fact processes. She then pushes a strand of hair behind her ear and smiles disarmingly and walks out from behind the desk, her own hand extended to shake each man's in turn. It was amazing how her face went from cool and stern to beaming and bright. Oh! I thought you were... well, never mind.
I'm Julia. Julia Dunst. I am the secretary from the college. I'll be working here with you. We have been busy getting everything ready what with the renovations and all.
She grins and looks a little awkward. So... come in? she laughs a little and lets her hand fall to her hip, feeling silly. I'm sorry I have no idea what you want or need to know...

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Taaz »

"No worries, first I just need a place to put all this," He motions to the luggage and trunk at his feet, "Then just let me know if you need anything."

He leans over and tugs on the heavy vintage footlocker "Hey do we have a Library? Or an nice office I could unload this? No need to unpack my books if there is a good central location" He smile again like a kid bringing his favorite toy to show and tell, "I've got some great stuff in here, a first edition Roylance, a reprint of the Ordo Hereticus, " He drops the handle and reaches to the front popping the lock and reaching inside."And the coolest is this". He pulls out a large hardback book.Tobin's Guide to Spirits Revised, signed by Dr Stanz, not to me but still. Pretty cool right?"

Looking around at the others Jason sees this is one of those moments where he got too excited. "Uhh sorry I know everybody isn't into the research side" He had seen other cadets at the academy who were more focused on the packs and the actual busting, and how could you blame them. "Just calm down, you got this buddy" He slips the book back inside the locker, and closes it. He sheepishly looks back at Ms Julia "Just let me know where I can put this stuff and anything I can help out with."

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Zeromancer »

Jacob peered over at the book with a sideways glance, rolled his eyes upward and cracked a lopsided smile. Naturally, the team needed members from all walks and skill sets to be successful, but he hoped there was more to Jason than a brainy academic. Lionel, on this other hand, that guy seemed to be as loose as they came. He knew straight away that they'd be buds. He thought about asking the guy if he played poker, but noticed he was nowhere to be seen. Probably went to explore the place, he surmised.

Once Jake figured Jason had prated on about his collection, he stepped partly between he and Julia and said, "Come on, let's get settled. I'm sure the lady's very busy." He the shot a wink in Julia's direction, slung his bags over his shoulder and grabbed the other end of the foot locker.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Bluehorse »

Julia

Bunks are on the top floor, so is the library. She says pointing towards the stairs. Offices are down here and the garage is in the basement. She takes advantage of a chance to disengage with the conversation with Jason and moves back behind her desk. Calls come in here and when we have a call, I... She presses the alarm and the bells throughout the building ring loudly until she hits is again. Go ahead and look around, I have some work here to send to corporate, when you guys get a chance, make sure to get me your wavers and certifications.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Taaz »

"Thank you mam." He nodded and picked up his trunk and headed off to the stairs. This was cool, they actually had a metal spiral staircase up to the second floor like GB0. Although he thought the work was the definition of bare bones, not bad, but is has that feeling of a building that's been through a few lives. If this was a NYC real estate ad they would call it "Industrial" It was a great building it had that smell, the kind you cant define but know it if you've ever been in an old mom and pop shop. You can smell what 20 years of smoking and industrial chemicals smell like seeped into the grout and floors. The paint and cleaning meant the place didn't stink, but Jason couldn't help but think of an old country mechanics office that smelled the same way. He made his way down to a room filled with mismatched shelving. a large table, and a smaller desk. He walked over to the shelf that had a few binders lined neatly across them, "Operations Manual, Training Manuals, and refrence guides for accessing our programs... I don't wanna say boring but" He turns and pops the lock on his foot locker. "Here is the good stuff."

After carefully arranging the books on the shelves Jason looks around at the library. Metal light fixtures hung low from the ceilings giving a warm glow. Outside the rain continued and the overcast skies made this the perfect room for a nap. Better keep moving and avoid the temptation. He picked up his trunk and luggage and walked back out and across the hall where he saw a room with several bunks laid out. "Hey, just like camp." Walking over he had seen where the other guy had placed his stuff on his bunk, he tossed his bag on the bed and placed his footlocker to one side. "Seems like the perfect time to wander around and get to know the place" Jason starts to walk down the hall, and around getting a feel for the place, hoping to run into one of the other 'busters.

Scott308

#13 Post by Scott308 »

After finding the sleeping quarters and selecting his bunk, Lionel is startled when alarms start going off. Sprinting back to the office to find Julia, he starts hammering her with questions. The alarm! Did- did we get a call already? Where's our gear? Where's the vehicle? What do we do? WHAT DO WE DO!?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Bluehorse »

Julia

As the big athlete comes barreling down the stairs, Julia goes wide eyed. When she recovers from the barrage of questions she holds up her hands to calm him down. Just a test! Take it easy! I'll announce it next time. She moves from behind her desk, looking flustered. Taking a deep breath, he looks back at Lionel. Good questions though... The garage is downstairs in the basement, a nice big space. Ecto-1... as it is... She looks a little dubious. Is also down there. There was... not a lot of start money after getting the place cleaned up... The smell alone... She shivers as if there was a bad memory there.

The guys would notice, now that they looked around that the old building was... well... old! There was a lot of areas that obviously had not seen a broom much less a real cleaning until recently. Dust was still caked near the bottoms of the walls where mops hand not quite been able to reach. The floors needed a good sanding and varnishing. The exterior walls were all old brick and mortar. All the exposed wood in the ceiling still had cobwebs here and there where the first few cleanings had missed, and it was obvious there had been a ceiling there at some point, but now it was exposed wooden subfloor. Despite the many air fresheners and plants Julia had apparently brought in, the air still had a staleness to it, and there was still a heady aroma of dust, cigarettes, and... *sniffsniff* wow... weed, mingled with gasoline and a little mildew. The floors creaked underfoot but thankfully seemed solid as did the stairs. Some of the lightbulbs looked like they came with the building as well.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Taaz »

Jason

Following a stair case down Jason could see he was facing back towords the front of the building where Julia and Jacob were talking, he walks through the open door way. "This place is great, its like a giant habitrail, you take a stairway and its like where are we gonna end up. Oh and, " he inhales deeply through his nose "Ahh, the smell alone. Who wouldn't love this!" Smiling his big goofy smile he looked down at the handful of papers he had folded in his shirt pocket. "Oh, here are the papers you needed mam." Handing her the folded papers. "So whats first up on the docket, I have some great ideas about a tacos and margaritas get-to-know-you mixer...."

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by Zeromancer »

After he stowed his belongings in the sleeping quarters upstairs, Jacob returned to the reception area to present Julia with his paperwork and to handle a bit of personal business as well. In his hand, he held the waivers and certifications the secretary had asked for as well as an invoice that had a single line item on it, Jake's most treasured possession, his 2010 Yamaha V-Max motorbike. When he entered the room, he noticed Lionel there, apparently quite worked up over the testing of the call alarm.

"Easy big guy, it was just a test." he said, and pat the young man on his shoulder. Man, was he ever solid. Without question, this guy would be carting around the extra gear when out on a job.

"Here's the paperwork you asked for, Miss." he said, paused then continued, "Also, I'm expecting a delivery in about a week. I'd like you to sign for it if I'm not on the premises when it arrives. They can drop the crate in the garage." he announced, then handed the paperwork as well as an invoice to the young woman.

When Jason reappeared and posed the question about their first order of business, Jacob's thoughts immediately went to their wheels. They needed their own version of the legendary Ecto 1.

"We're gonna need a car. I already have a few prospects in mind, but whatever we get, it's gonna blow about half our budget." he announced somewhat dolefully.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy O'Dowd a late arrival his train was running late....arrives outside the ghostbusters HQ office and looks at it puzzled a bit so this is a ghostbuster HQ? he wonders... to himself as he walks into the entrance of the building and sees the others in the crew he is about to join and keeps mostly to himself at first. "Hello?" he says to anyone paying attention to his arrival. "It's me Roy, so which room is mine?" he asks.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308

#18 Post by Scott308 »

Calming down after being told the alarm was just a test, the big guy calms down. I'm sorry if I startled you, ma'am. When I heard the alarm, I got excited because I thought we had a call. Then I got scared because I thought we had a call. I'm not ready yet. I don't know where things are or who does what- I know we'll get that all figured out, but I wasn't expecting to hear the alarm that soon. He grins. Shoot, that alarm'll wake up just about anyone, won't it? I guess I've got some paperwork somewhere to give to you. I'll go get it.

Seeing the newest new-guy arrive, he holds out his hand to shake as he introduces himself. Hi, Roy. I'm Lionel. Lionel Williams. This is Julia. I was just heading upstairs, so I can show you the bunk room if you want to tag along. Or, if you'd rather hang out here with Julia, that's fine. Lionel will head upstairs to get his paperwork to bring back to Julia, leading Roy if he wishes to follow.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy having ignored, or just been too oblivious to notice the alarm, shakes Lionel's hand in greeting "Yeah lets go see this bunk room. Say what was that noise earlier some sort of alarm?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308

#20 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel " Freight Train" Williams

Chuckling, Williams replies. That is THE alarm. For when we get a call. Julia hit the alarm as a test, but I was upstairs and didn't know it was a test. I ran downstairs, hoping someone would tell me what to do. I think I 'bout gave Julia a heart attack!

Return to “Mission Archive”