Luck Rules

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Luck Rules

#1 Post by drpete »

Lucky Rolls

Each character has a lucky roll. This number is always modified by the initial starting luck of the player (minimum +1). It does not move up and down with luck.
Last edited by drpete on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Luck Rules

#2 Post by drpete »

Luck Modifier:

Luck modifies other rolls in the game:
Critical Hits
Fumbles
Corruption
Warrior's lucky weapon (must be named)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by drpete »

Spending Luck

Characters can spend luck to survive life or death situations. A character can burn luck to give a one time bonus to a roll. For Wizards and Warriors, the roll goes up by one for each point of luck spent. Thieves increase their roll by their luck die for each point spent.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by drpete »

Restoring Luck

Characters can regain luck through carousing between adventures. Choose a die. From d3 to d20 to represent how much risk they take, and the corresponding likelihood of recovering luck.

Excess recovered luck points can be used to heal up or stat damage.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by drpete »

Fleeting Luck

DCC Lankhmar uses f leeting Luck, a form of Luck that PCs accrue in addition to their normal Luck stat, but which can also vanish in the blink of an eye—or the roll of a die. Fleeting Luck is spent as normal Luck, but is far easier to earn.

All PCs begin each game session with 1 point of fleeting Luck. Fleeting Luck does not carry over from session to session. A PC gains a point of fleeting Luck for any of the following actions with the judge’s approval:
  • Rolling a natural 20 on any attack roll, saving throw, ability or skill check, or spell check.
  • Succeeding in a critical success or hit with a roll other than a natural 20 (such as an attack by a warrior with increased crit range or by a halfling wielding two weapons).
  • Pulling off a daring feat (successfully beating incredible odds, defeating a nearly impossible foe, succeeding in a rash action, etc.).
  • Performing an action or role-playing in a manner that reinforces the unique atmosphere and themes of Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser tales (executing an elaborate robbery regardless of success or failure, engaging in behavior that leaves the PC destitute, making foes of superior enemies without care, etc.).
  • Acting in accordance to the schemes, dreams, or expectations of one’s alignment, patron, organization, or other guiding authority.
  • Suggesting ways the PC’s doom might complicate matters during game play to the judge.
  • General good role-playing or entertaining one’s judge and fellow players. (If something the PC does makes the judge laugh or his fellow players shout “Cool!” he deserves a point of fleeting Luck.)
Any time any PC in the party rolls a natural 1 that results in a failure, every PC loses all of his fleeting Luck. The natural 1 must be from the roll of an action die, spell check, saving throw, ability or skill check, or similar roll. Rolling a 1 when determining initiative or making a Luck check (when rolling over a body, for example) does not cause fleeting Luck to be lost.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by drpete »

Sharing Luck

All PCs in the party—so long as they’re in close proxim-ity to one another (usually within visibility range) —can spend fleeting Luck to help another. Each point of fleet-ing Luck spent to help another adds +1 to the assisted PC’s die roll. There is no limit on the number of PCs that can spend fleeting Luck to help a comrade.

Permanent Luck can never be expended to help another unless the PC has a special benison, spell, or other ability that allows them to specifically do so.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Enoch »

Question: in the case of thieves helping party members with Fleeting Luck, is it still just +1 or do they roll their Luck Die?
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by drpete »

Looks like it's just a +1 regardless of class giving/ receiving luck. Good question :) I could see having a thief involved changing that, though...

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Enoch »

Well, I could see it either way. I would say that using the Luck die would step on a halfling's toes, but Lankhmar doesn't have those. Given the narrow scope of classes, though (and the setting), I'm sure they took thieves into account when they made the rule!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by drpete »

Yeah, it's curious that it's not mentioned... I'm "asking" to see if anyone has a clarification.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Enoch »

Cool. For the record, I'm fine with not using the Luck die. I suspect the designers felt that would make thieves overpowered.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by drpete »

Yeah, I hear ya. Which way it would work is a little ambiguous, too. Would thief rolls always get the die, or thief luck points?

Return to “DrPete's Lankhmar Game (DCC)”