Silver Eel Tavern (OOC Discussion)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Silver Eel Tavern (OOC Discussion)

#161 Post by Marullus »

That said, animal summoning totally says that it gets expended, but sleep says you must possess it, but it doesn't explicitly say it gets used up.
You're right, of course. Not arguing that. Just highly dismayed that I misunderstood it. :)

It does mean that I will be trying to strip maximum bits at all times. If I need to divide a dead cat into maximum cat-bits to be able to conjure future cats and keep an accounting spreadsheet, I will do so. It just seems unnecessarily nitty-gritty. A single "bag of owl bits" or a reusable feather, either of which can be lost as a twist on a botched roll of a 1? Simpler to me. *Shrug* different games work different ways.

For sleep, I appreciate the clarification. It means I will begin augmenting my descriptive items. (Why yes, he DOES have a handkerchief!)

As for powerful, I have had some lucky role combinations and the challenges so far happened to suit him. I do strive to have compitent characters; I also try to make sure I share the spotlight, engage group decisions, etc. If I fail and anyone feels pushed out by me, please let me know. (I expect to be far less useful moving into lock picking and fighting the inevitable rats.). I also DO appreciate that my spell weaknesses are manageable - casting indoors at -1D is hard, but not nearly as bad as requiring a prism to cast at all (which was unaffordable). That guy had it tough.

I did notice (now that I read all the other benisons) that you basically gave me the "Agent of a Power" benison for free. Do you want me to roll another Doom to be fair?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by drpete »

Marullus wrote: It does mean that I will be trying to strip maximum bits at all times. If I need to divide a dead cat into maximum cat-bits to be able to conjure future cats and keep an accounting spreadsheet, I will do so. It just seems unnecessarily nitty-gritty. A single "bag of owl bits" or a reusable feather, either of which can be lost as a twist on a botched roll of a 1? Simpler to me. *Shrug* different games work different ways.
Yeah, this sounds kind of annoying, rather than along the lines probably intended. Lets say that the spell conjures up, and directs the spirit of the animal whose bits you are using. Should you use the same animal's bits a second time, it doesn't like that, and resists. This gives you a 1D penalty for calling on that particular spirit again. This, and the morality of attempting to continue to force the same animal to come back from the spirit world to serve you over and over is not very "white" magic, and is generally frowned upon, though possible.

Marullus wrote: I did notice (now that I read all the other benisons) that you basically gave me the "Agent of a Power" benison for free. Do you want me to roll another Doom to be fair?
Yeah, that's true. Sounds like a reasonable thing to do. I won't make you take the 4 luck penalty, though, since that's a pretty harsh thing to find out about after you've made the decision.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Marullus »

drpete wrote:Yeah, this sounds kind of annoying, rather than along the lines probably intended. Lets say that the spell conjures up, and directs the spirit of the animal whose bits you are using. Should you use the same animal's bits a second time, it doesn't like that, and resists. This gives you a 1D penalty for calling on that particular spirit again. This, and the morality of attempting to continue to force the same animal to come back from the spirit world to serve you over and over is not very "white" magic, and is generally frowned upon, though possible.
That's a good clarification - it is the same spirit each time. I really like that re-use degradation - that works great with his "threads of fate" idiom.
AureoBuendia wrote:"expend"... whoops. My bear summoning players are not going to be happy about that one.
That means that using the Bearskin Cloak doesn't consume it, right? It just irritates the bear on successive attempts? That's an important clarification before I disintegrate another PC's outergarments. :)
drpete wrote:Yeah, that's true. Sounds like a reasonable thing to do. I won't make you take the 4 luck penalty, though, since that's a pretty harsh thing to find out about after you've made the decision.
Cool. i'll go roll and post it in my character creation thread, then mod the sheet.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by shaidar »

go hlalf!

i was torn between casting the spell and dashing for a potion myself. thought the spell would gain us all more time, if i don't get smushed first.

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#165 Post by Wintermute »

Should be interesting, assuming I don't get stepped on along the way...

I went ahead and added the 2 additional 0-level hit points to my character sheet. Thanks DrPete!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by shaidar »

drpete wrote: It works, though Shmehk feels death notice him...
is this as bad as it sounds?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by drpete »

LOL...maaaaaybe?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#168 Post by Enoch »

Sorry I've been absent! My sister and her family dropped by unexpectedly, and I spent the weekend babysitting. I'm back though!
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by drpete »

Enoch wrote:Sorry I've been absent! My sister and her family dropped by unexpectedly, and I spent the weekend babysitting. I'm back though!
It's cool. The automaton started out about 150 (scale) feet from you, to the southeast. We can assume that you moved toward range during the first round, and the attack will be this next round, where you can get a lot closer. You can move about 10 feet/round at this scale, and you'll have to let me know how far away you'll want to get... do you run up to within 10 feet, go to medium range, or stay at long range. It looks like you were committing to getting up to within 10 feet (1 foot unscaled) from it.

Similarly, Saal, you may (depending on conditions) be attacking from a long or medium range with your sling, so there may be an extra penalty.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#170 Post by Enoch »

If I can get within 10' this round, I will. 20' would be better (my luck was enough to hit with a -1 range penalty), but I didn't know that before I made the decision on where to throw to.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by drpete »

Yeah, as I mentioned in the ic thread, it's totally moving toward the door, so you can totally get close and throw it (as you intended) this round.

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#172 Post by Wintermute »

I was reading some other DCC plays, and I've run plenty of it myself. In some other game I noticed people spending luck on damage rolls. I never thought to use it that way, just assumed it was on saves, hit rolls, skills, magic etc... you know the stuff that normally starts at a d20.

Checking the book it simply says luck can be used on, "a roll." I learn something new each time I delve deeper into this game!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by drpete »

Yeah, can use it on damage, attack, saving throws, etc. Apparently not "deed die" or "hit point" rolls, though.

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#174 Post by Wintermute »

Considering how easy it is to get luck in DCC Lankhmar, using it for HP might be bad. But in normal DCC, I may allow it.

As for Deed rolls, I am about to start a game, may allow "Mightburn," Spellburn for warriors (and others) that can add to deed dice (or give you a deed die if you're not a warrior and burn 3 points).

AureoBuendia
Scout
Scout

#175 Post by AureoBuendia »

I've seen interesting debates on luck on Deed die.

On one hand, one luck point for basically three points (atk, dmg, deed) sounds like a lot. But on the other hand, wizards/clerics can make their spells reach high tiers with luck burns (the difference between a 23 and a 24 Magic Missile is HUGE) and a crazy enough thief can do 10d3 worth of damage if they commit. So warriors seem to have less incentive to burn luck without such an impactful reason to burn it.

I can see both arguments, so can't really argue one way or another.

Wintermute
Scout
Scout

#176 Post by Wintermute »

I'm shocked that that potion gambit worked I thought for certain I was going to die choking on poison!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by drpete »

Wintermute wrote:I'm shocked that that potion gambit worked I thought for certain I was going to die choking on poison!
LOL... it's not over, yet :)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by drpete »

I'm going to update later today. It's been a few days, and not much sign anyone else wants to do anything. No sign of Sapperz or Enoch in almost a week :(

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by shaidar »

:cry:

that's really sad news.

I apologise if it's anything I've done, if anyone has such an issue then please drop me a message. I try to do what I think is best in a situation, but I'm only human.

do you think you'll go looking for more players? we don't seem to be having much luck.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by shaidar »

wow, that was skin-of-the-teeth!

Perhaps I should dial back the spellburn a bit in the future

Return to “DrPete's Lankhmar Game (DCC)”