Shaidar's Character Creation Thread

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Shaidar's Character Creation Thread

#1 Post by drpete »

Talking about shaidar's characters.
Last edited by drpete on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#2 Post by shaidar »

hey!

just need to sort out kit, martial weapon and my favour.

hopefully i should be able to get this done in the next day or do.

As for knowing Old Ghoulish, would a realistic reason be he and his master studied with a ghoul wizard, my character managed to escape with his life, his master was not so lucky?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

question about wizards and armour.

Am I correct that wizards can wear armour, but they apply the armour check modifier to their spell check, so they can wear padded armour with no penalties?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by drpete »

On the favor front, how about something that a minor gang leader did for you when you came to town...? Lent you money, or offered you "protection" or something like that?

On the ghoul front... maybe. My sense is that learning Old Ghoulish is more about ancient knowledge of this alien race of alien cannibals. How about something like your old master was a treasure hunter, seeking after the magic of the ancient ghouls. Some of your spells come from things you learned in that pursuit, but you also had to protect him during his investigations with weapons?

On the armour question, yes, wizards can wear armor, and use several (but not all) different weapons. Padded armor gives no penalty to spell rolls, but leather would give -1.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by shaidar »

How about the gang leader got him out of trouble with a guard when he first arrived (the guard was corrupt and was in the pay of the leader)?

I like the (magic) treasure hunting idea for Old Ghoulish :D

Equipment is done, and I decided on Long Sword for his martial training.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Shaidar's Character Creation Thread

#6 Post by shaidar »

just been reading up on Mighty Deeds, cool!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by shaidar »

Have I read the rules correctly, wizards only get a change to cast each spell once per day, whether or not it succeeds it is lost?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by drpete »

Nope! Check out the results of one of the spells. Generally, failure with a lower roll causes it to be lost for the day, but otherwise you can use it again.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by shaidar »

thanks. judt reread the magic section and read some more spell descriptions, it makes sense now.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by shaidar »

drpete wrote:On the ghoul front... maybe. My sense is that learning Old Ghoulish is more about ancient knowledge of this alien race of alien cannibals. How about something like your old master was a treasure hunter, seeking after the magic of the ancient ghouls. Some of your spells come from things you learned in that pursuit, but you also had to protect him during his investigations with weapons?
Perhaps this is what brought them to Lankhmar and something untoward happened to his master so he's been left adrift in the city with limited resources...

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by drpete »

Sooooo...

I screwed up :)

You are not supposed to be eligible to get higher than 1st level spells. (I'm new to dcc, myself, and the are two different "max spell level" numbers... figured they just meant you could push your luck).

Would you mind rerolling your last two spells and their stipulations?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by shaidar »

ok, I'll do that later today.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by shaidar »

had a bit of time and rolled them now:

spell 3 (1st lvl): [1d27] = 21 = ropework

spell 3 stipulation: [1d100] = 7 requires personal object target

spell 4 reroll (1st lvl): [1d27] = 14 force manipulation

spell 4 stipulation: [1d100] = 8 spell has range of 0

neither of those spell stipulations really work for the spells I rolled.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by drpete »

Yeah, ok... why don't you reroll, and see if something more appropriate comes up?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by shaidar »

while I'm waiting for the Dice Roller to get back online, I thought I post this summary of my characters backstory.

Shmehk Scree was born in Gnamph Nar, the middle child, with an older sister and a younger brother. His father was a forester and his mother was an assistant in a bakery. From an early age his parents wanted him to join the military, and when he was old enough they had him start to train in the city junior militia group. This all changed when the city was attacked one day while the wizard Murgon Ulank was visiting. The city rulers cajoled (and paid heavily) for the wizard to assist them repulsing the invaders. Shmehk was witness to the mighty sorcery conjured by the hands of Murgon, and decided that he would become a wizard. It took him a week to persuade the wizard to take him on as an apprentice and guard. He spent the next 5 years travelling with Murgon as he searched for scraps of ancient arcane knowledge all over the world. They ended up in Lankhmar, and the wizard set them up in a plush Inn, before vanishing to meet with a skittish contact. That was the last that Shmehk saw of the wizard. A week later he was forced to leave the Inn and rent a cheap room. A month later his funds have almost run dry.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by drpete »

Hrmmmm... ok...

How about the favor you owe is to an underworld figure who got you out of trouble over the fairly large bill you ended up with at the fancy lodgings...? Maybe there was some damage to the property when, after he didn't come back, the room was robbed?

How about... he had a collection of Old Ghoulish magic writings that disappeared in the robbery?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by shaidar »

that all sounds good, perhaps Old Ghoulish was one of his masters specialities.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by shaidar »

spell 3 stipulation: [1d100] = 53 = none

spell 4 stipulation: [1d100] = 35 = Spell requires the caster to remain motionless. No movement is allowed during the spell’s casting time. Taking even a single step causes the spell to automatically fail and be lost to the caster for the day

character sheet updated.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by drpete »

Super :)

Return to “DrPete's Lankhmar Game (DCC)”