Session 2: Quarantine Zone

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Session 2: Quarantine Zone

#201 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Louchi

”That......must be Cat! We are looking for her, right? The Rat King.....or Queen......or whatever. Let’s go talk to her and see why she is crying. It’s probably because she took revenge on her former lover, the Lady of Plagues, and now regrets it. But that’s just a guess on my part.”

The mini-giant looks around the group to see who carries the stuffed toy known as Mr. Squeaks, thinking the sobbing woman might need a good memory and a familiar voice right now.

She begins to slowly advance unless stopped by her friends.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#202 Post by dmw71 »

The Rat King
Garl and Louchi crowd towards the front and move in alongside Azalea. Peering around the corner, the two newcomers see with their own eyes what the rogue had previously shared -- a woman with bright red hair, her face partially concealed by a veil, weeping. Garl squints as he stares at the weeping woman and notices her face is covered with freckles, which he mentions in a whisper.
"That... must be Cat!" Louchi proclaims excitedly, a bit louder than anticipated. "We're looking for her, right? The Rat King... or Queen... or whatever." she continues. The mini-giant quietly inquires about stuffed toy known as Mr. Squeaks, which Garl was the one to claim. As the half-orc goes to produce the toy from his pack, the light squeeze is enough to set the rat off:

“Mr. Squeaks loves you!”

The toys cry echos throughout this sewer intersection, and the veiled woman's head immediately darts in your direction.

"Who's th... where... wha... how?" she sputters, unable to collect and vocalize her thoughts.

"Show yourself to the Rat King," she states; half pleadingly. She rises from her makeshift thrown and sends the hundreds of normal rats congregating at her feet scattering.

Louchi grabs the doll from Garl --
  • “Mr. Squeaks loves you!”
-- and begins to slowly advance into the Rat King's lair.

The rat swarms at her feet continue to obey this woman completely, and remain in place, nuzzling up against her protectively.

"I left Mr Squeaks with my father!" she yells, in a sudden mood change. "Now my father is dead!"

"You kill my father!?"
she booms, with a hint of uncertainty.

The rats begin to scurry more chaotically.

"No!" Louchi calls out against the allegation. The cleric is convincing enough, for now, to stem off an attack.

"Then tell the Rat King how you came into possession of Mr Squeaks... and bring him to the Rat King."

---

Actions?

---

Date: 19 Quintilis, Year 7102
Time: 10:07 (Sunrise: 06:58, Sunset: 18:43)
Temp: 65 F
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Breezy
Light Sources:
  • None
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • None
Character Status

Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#203 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Louchi walks forward with her palms held out in front of her.

"We are all only here to help......Cat? I promise!"

She squeezes the toy again, hoping the voice calms the woman's nerves.

"We have been sent to investigate the pox, and we were the ones who found the captain. We found some clues when we searched his room."

She tosses some of the pilfered cheese at the floor for the rats and hands the toy over to the Rat King.

"I am very sorry for your troubles, dear. But as I said, we are here to help. Is there anything we can do for the Rat King?"

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#204 Post by BearSiren817 »

Azalea tries to reassure the woman as well. “Your father couldn’t bring himself to burn your letters like you warned him to. When investigating his murder we were led to a lockbox where he kept Mr. Squeaks as well. We want nothing more to find who did this. We were looking for him because he supposedly found a cure for the pox.”
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#205 Post by dmw71 »

The Rat King
"Of course you not kill my father," the ginger-haired woman starts, her weeping episode apparently over. "Death by rats? What an insult! The Lady of Plagues is responsible! The Lady of Plagues will pay!" she finishes; an anger fueling her words.

“Mr. Squeaks loves you!”

The toy's message, at least temporarily stifles the swelling anger in the Rat King, and actually brings a hint of a smile to her face, and she extends her hand in Louchi's direction to accept her toy back.

The mini-giant, whom had been tossing chunks of cheese to distract the many, many rat companions swarming the area, interrupts the rats' feeding long enough to return the squeak toy.

Accepting her childhood toy and giving it a squeeze, the Rat King repeats: "The Lord of Plagues...." Her voice beginning to escalate once again as the pain begins to swell.

"The Rat King was enamored with the Lady of Plagues once. A kindred soul, yet so misguided. So beautiful -- so foolish! The Rat King can't believe she trusted the Lady of Plagues. The Lady of Plagues came to Waterdeep to cull the city with plague: “to strengthen the stock,” she said. The Rat King persuaded her to hold back... and she did. Until she didn't."

Then Rat King confide in the Lady of Plagues; share her own secrets: her true name -- Catarina “Cat” Brisby -- and her only relative, her father, Captain Brisby. Then sickness took hold in the Dock Ward. Then my father was found dead!"

"Is the Rat King supposed to believe that’s a coincidence? No, it was a betrayal!"

"The Lady of Plagues must pay!"

The Rat King, having riled herself up again, acts almost as if the group doesn't exist, and hadn't just stumbled upon her lair. She seems intent on only one thing now -- revenge.

---

We won't belabor this encounter longer than needed (which can take a while in play-by-post), but I'll allow you guys a chance to respond, ask any additional questions, etc... before pressing the situation again.

---

Time: 10:08 (Sunrise: 06:58, Sunset: 18:43)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Breezy
Light Sources:
  • None
  • None
Character Status

Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#206 Post by BearSiren817 »

“Your father had an unsent letter to you. He said he was close to discovering the source of the pox and that you should trust Maladie. He knew dangerous people had their eyes on him but did not think it was Maladie. please, Cat. Please. Think clearly. We need your help more than ever!”

Azalea tries to sound both reassuring but stern. Trying to get any extra information out of the woman with the mention of “Maladie”.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#207 Post by dmw71 »

The Rat King
"Another letter?" the Rat King gasps; her swelling emotions shifting from anger to a mixture of curiosity and excitement. "You show the Rat King!"

The letters, obtained from the lockbox in the 'Harbor Holdings' bank, are produced and turned over to the Rat King, who spends many minutes re-reading the smaller notes, which she sent herself, then many more minutes reading the letter she never received from her father:
Letters.jpg
Letters.jpg (279.44 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
The prolonged silence is broken as the Rat King reads portions of the letter aloud:

"Dangerous people have their many, many eyes on me..."

"Trust her."

The Rat King, processing these final words from beyond the grave, begins to pace. Rapidly. Back-and-forth. Talking to herself.

"Maladie can be trusted."

"The Rat King can trust the Lady of Plagues?"

"No, no, that can't be right...."

"... but father says so."

"The Rat King so confused."

"Dangerous people. Many, many eyes."

"Who are these many eyed dangerous people?"

"Maladie can be trusted?"

"Maladie can be trusted."

"Maladie can be trusted!"

The Rat King gasps!

"What have I done? What have I done!?"

Her pacing intensifies.

"The Rat King was certain the Lady of Plagues was planning to unleash a new strain of her virus during the Salvation Parade," she starts. "Give more people the pox, and turn them into rats...."

"The Rat King sent her minions to ambush and stop her..."

"Maladie in trouble! We must save her!"

Realizing she may be responsible for the demise of one of the few people she's ever trusted, she stops.

"We must get to her before the parade starts... the parade start soon... I must go!"

As this flury of the Rat King's nervous activity is taking place, Azalea happens to notice and point out a misshapen rat that stands out from the rest of the swarm as it begins to scurry frantically; almost as if in a panic. As this nervous rat runs around, Garl mentions that he believes it has a misshapen head, much like the rat spotted earlier, when the group was intercepted by the Xanathar, and assulted by the thugs:
Cranium Rat.jpg
Cranium Rat.jpg (27.26 KiB) Viewed 1811 times

Louchi happens to catch a glipse of the Rat King as she begins to scamper away, heading into a different sewer tunnels than the one through which you entered this intersection.

---

Actions?

---

Time: 10:18 (Sunrise: 06:58, Sunset: 18:43)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Breezy
Light Sources:
  • None
  • None
Character Status

Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#208 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Louchi gets a little more nervous once she spots the rat that was with the Xanthar and his goons.

"Miss Brisby, please stop!!! Let's think about this a little before we rush off into possible danger."

She chases after the woman if necessary, but always keeps track of that one weird little rat.

If she can catch up to her, she continues quietly, out of the earshot of the cranium rat.

"I believe that you have a ra......I mean a mole within your group of little friends. Do you know who that little rat with the exposed brain is? For we have seen that one before, and not with the best of company, if you understand my meaning."

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#209 Post by BearSiren817 »

Azalea twirls her short sword around. Thinking to herself that this is the best time as any to try out the new knockout move she’s been practicing for the last few hours.

Her eyes light up, “many eyes? Many eyes? Zushaxx the beholder! Xanathar!” she whispers to herself?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#210 Post by dmw71 »

The Rat... and Rat King
"Miss Brisby, please stop!!!" Louchi calls, and the Rat King, not accustomed to being hailed by her actual name, pauses, and looks back. "Let's think about this a little before we rush off into possible danger," the mini-giant continues. The Rat King, and her swarm, retreat back into the room. "Please, the Rat King must hurry. Maladie in trouble..." she says. "Because of me," she adds quietly.

The Rat King looks puzzled when asked of the little rat. "An exposed brain," she repeats, as if in disbelief. When Louchi, who never took her eyes off the panicked creature, points it out, the Rat King's eyes grow wide.

"Get it!" she cries; a mixed look of concern and disgust on her face.

---

Actions?

---

Time: 10:19 (Sunrise: 06:58, Sunset: 18:43)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Breezy
Light Sources:
  • None
  • None
Character Status

Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#211 Post by BearSiren817 »

Azalea tries to hit the rat with the brain and subdue it. She definitely is still trying to perfect this method.

Short sword attack:
[1d20+5] = 3+5 = 8 [1d6+3] = 6+3 = 9 ([1d6] = 2)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#212 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Louchi nonchalantly steps towards the cranium rat, hoping that Cat was speaking to her swarm.

Initiative [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5 hopefully, this is a surprise round

If she can swat the rat without squishing any of the swarm, she does so.

Mace Attack [1d20+4] = 15+4 = 19 Damage [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by ravenn4544 »

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#214 Post by Scott308 »

Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Rex »

Asmundr

Asmundr will strike to subdue with his hand axe (assuming there is room). If he can't he will try to cut off as many of his escape routes as possible.

Initiative [1d20] = 1

Hand Axe subdual attack [1d20] = 12 to hit [1d6] = 1 damage

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#216 Post by dmw71 »

Cranium Rat
The cranium rat, which is little more than a normal rat, is no match for the multitude of attacks it faces... and succumbs to the first injuries inflicted. After the "threat" has been eliminated, and the adrenaline begins to lessen, a somewhat more casual air takes over the place.

Except for Azalea, who is covering her ears and seems to be struggling against some unseen... attack?

---

Actions?

---

Time: 10:20 (Sunrise: 06:58, Sunset: 18:43)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Breezy
Light Sources:
  • None
  • None
Character Status

Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#217 Post by Scott308 »

Sandro

With the cranium rat dispatched, the monk notices Azalea. Uh, Azalea, you ok there? Is this some weird elf thing, like not sleeping or something?
Last edited by Scott308 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#218 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Louchi continues her conversation with the Rat King.

”If we must hurry, maybe it would be best to catch each other up as we head towards the parade grounds?”

Once she notices her sister in arms in distress she tries to help her.

“Good heavens! Are you ok, Azalea? Is there anything I can do to help you?”

Medicine Check [1d20] = 4

She looks to Cat next, hoping she may have an answer to this dilemma.

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#219 Post by BearSiren817 »

“No, I’m not okay”, Azalea declares, rubbing her temples.

“Xanather and his mind flayer bestie had cranium rat spies watching over the Rat King and Lady of Plagues and Captain Brisby.”

She tries to gather her thoughts, “they saw the lady of plagues put a green vial of gas in a lockbox during that meeting. This was all planned by them for a distraction for other nefarious plans.”

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#220 Post by BearSiren817 »

Azalea continues, “My head hurts. They needed the city watch distracted. They planned turning the Rat King and the Lady against each other. The cranium rats killed Cap.”.

She thanks her comrades and agrees that time is of a necessity.

Return to “Dave's 5e Urban Investigation”