Character Creation Thread

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Character Creation Thread

#61 Post by The_Wanderer »

Yep. I forgot yesterday was my anniversary-don’t tell my wife-so I wasn’t free to get it finished last night. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow it will get done.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Rex »

I am glad to hear you survived, close call.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Zhym »

Oh, man. Near miss! :lol:

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Starbeard »

I did the same thing this year! Only I managed to get in the clear because my wife missed it too. It wasn't until someone sent us a "happy anniversary" message that either of us even realized what day it was. We played it cool and went to the beach like we had it planned. :roll:

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sorry for the delay. When I returned from vacation I was given a new laptop for work, which sounds nice, but the IT guy never installed any of the programs I need correctly. I've been limping along without one until yesterday, but now I need to catch up on charting. And I still don't have access to MS office at all, nor a pdf viewer, so I cannot see my lab lord rulebook to purchase equipment... He's got a fair amount of coin though, so I'll just arm/equip him lightly and figure out the coin later, if that's okay with you.

I'll update his sheet now.

Can someone let me know halfling saves and 1st level THAC0? Thanks!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Zhym »

No worries. Light equipment is fine. I think I posted the equipment list from Basic, though, so you could just go with that if you can find where I posted it. :)

1st level THACO is 19.

Halfling (and dwarf) saving throws
Death ray or poison: 10
Magic wands: 11
Paralysis or turn to stone: 12
Dragon breath: 13
Rods, staves, or spells: 14

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Yeah... I couldn't find that list just now, but Kinkajou's PC listed prices for most everything I was going to take, so that should work. :) I went with a spear for economy, hoping to snatch up a short sword when he can.

Ready to go!

Interesting to note the Saving throw categories don't seem to line up so well with the US forum's character sheet. Are they different from LL basic? (I don't recall there being much difference when using LL.)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Zhym »

Yes, in LL Basic it's Breath Attacks, Poison or Death, Petrify or Paralyze, Wands, and Spells or Spell-like Devices, which is a lot more like AD&D's saving throw categories than Basic's.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Yeah... I couldn't find that list just now, but Kinkajou's PC listed prices for most everything I was going to take, so that should work. :) I went with a spear for economy, hoping to snatch up a short sword when he can.

Ready to go!

Interesting to note the Saving throw categories don't seem to line up so well with the US forum's character sheet. Are they different from LL basic? (I don't recall there being much difference when using LL.)
Sounds like you've got it sorted already but, in case it's useful, the equipment list Zhym posted is cunningly hidden inside the spoiler here. I remember because it took me ages to find it when I was creating Molly also :D

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Starbeard »

Zhym wrote:Halfling (and dwarf) saving throws
Death ray or poison: 10
Magic wands: 11
Paralysis or turn to stone: 12
Rods, staves, or spells: 14
:shock: Wow! This is the first time I’ve ever noticed that Moldvay Basic has different demihuman saving throws from the rest. Cook Expert, BECMI and LL all start at 8 instead of 10!

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#71 Post by GreyWolfVT »

then again the saving throws in Basic are a bit better than say 1e or 2e might be for level 1. However 1e & 2e acknowledge demihumans are a race not a class. Just to add to what you're saying Starbeard ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Zhym »

Fascinating. I didn't realize the saving throws varied between Basic and Expert.

Since I'm planning on having some level progression, we'll officially use the Expert tables anywhere they differ from Basic. That makes the halfling/dwarf saving throws:

Death ray or poison: 8
Magic wands: 10
Paralysis or turn to stone: 10
Rods, staves, or spells: 12

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rex »

Every bit helps.

Modric
Guide
Guide

Re: Character Sheets and Status

#74 Post by Modric »

Friar Tuck? :D

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Zhym »

I moved the previous post from the character sheets thread. No chatter in that thread, please. :)

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by The_Wanderer »

Nailed it. Somehow I subconsciously rolled up Friar Tuck. Just goes to prove there are no new ideas out there.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Zhym »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Sorry for the delay. When I returned from vacation I was given a new laptop for work, which sounds nice, but the IT guy never installed any of the programs I need correctly. I've been limping along without one until yesterday, but now I need to catch up on charting. And I still don't have access to MS office at all, nor a pdf viewer, so I cannot see my lab lord rulebook to purchase equipment... He's got a fair amount of coin though, so I'll just arm/equip him lightly and figure out the coin later, if that's okay with you.

I'll update his sheet now.

Can someone let me know halfling saves and 1st level THAC0? Thanks!
Rusty,

You mentioned updating your PC's sheet, but I don't see the sheet posted yet. When you can do that, I'll review the sheets and hopefully we can get rolling soon.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Whoops.

Fixed!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Zhym »

Thanks!

We'll give a couple of days to let Thebadgamer98 put his PC together. After a few days, I may start things off and insert his PC in situ.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Zhym »

Thanks for being patient everyone. Here are my notes on the PCs:

GreyWolfVT / Alton
It looks like you accidentally included some text in your saving throw numbers, but the sheet otherwise looks good. — Oh, wait, I see what you're doing. Could you put the text in parenthesis, like The_Wanderer did on Cy's sheet? Thanks.

Rex / Finn the Fleet
I made a typo in the saving throw list above. The saving throw vs. wands in Expert is 9, not 10. Other than that, you're good.

Captain Kinkajou / Molly Hodkin
Same as above - save vs. wands should be 9.

Starbeard / Geoff
His rear AC is 7 (and 6 w/o shield, obviously). Also, his movement rate is 90' because he's in leather armor (see my house rule simplifying encumbrance). Otherwise, looks good.

Modric / Grond
You've got the right saving throw numbers but in the wrong order (the categories on the sheet match up to 1e, not so well to Expert). They should be: Death 12, Wands 13, Paralysis 14, Breath 15, Spells 16. So swap petrification and wands. Also his movement rate is 60', not 120, because he's in metal armor.

The_Wanderer / Cy "The Rat" Bartell
Looks good.

Rusty Tincanne / Twiddle D. Dee
You got caught by my saving throw error too. Please change the save for wands to 9.
How Twiddle's AC 3? I see chainmail (AC 5) and dexterity of 15 (-1) but no shield on his sheet.

Return to “Zhym's Hack-'n-Slash Random Dungeon Crawl (BX)”