Rules

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Rules

#1 Post by Zhym »

This thread will contain house rules, rule interpretations, and descriptions of differences between B/X and LL where needed.

This post reserved for a table of contents.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Rules

#2 Post by Zhym »

Basics

Game System
The game system is D&D B/X — Moldvay Basic and Cook Expert.

Posting Rate
I'll try to update about 2-3 times a week, but I'm not going to be militant about it. I'd rather give players the chance to post each round than be aggressive about a fixed schedule.

Player Absences
If you need to be gone for more than the time it usually takes to update the game, please post an OOC message letting everyone know.

I will NPC characters during combat as needed. I will attempt to play characters consistently with how they've been played, following any "standard actions" posted with the character's sheet. In critical situations, I may ask other players to declare an inactive player's actions. There is, of course, no guarantee that characters won't die while being NPC'ed.
Last edited by Zhym on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

Money, Movement, and Encumbrance

Money Values
100 cp = 10 sp = 1 gp = 1/10 pp
All coins have the same weight.

Movement
Movement rates are determined by armor type, regardless of other gear carried:
  • Metal armor: 60'/round
    Leather armor: 90'/round
    Unarmored: 120'/round
Encumbrance
Encumbrance only matters when the PCs find treasure. Treasure affects movement rates as follows:
  • 0 – 400 coins: Full movement
    400 - 600 coins: Drop to one movement category (e.g., 120' to 90')
    600 - 800 coins: Drop two movement categories (e.g., 120' to 60')
    800 – 1600 coins: Drop three movement categories (e.g., 120' to 30')
This should allow fairly huge hauls while still putting a limit on what characters can carry.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

Weapons, Combat, and Death

Misc. Weapon and Combat Rules
Variable Weapon Damage (p. B27) is in effect.
Group initiative. Roll your own initiative, or I will roll for you if no player does. The first initiative roll controls initiative for the group.
No critical hits or misses, although a 20 always hits and a 1 always misses.

Attack Roll Macros
Please include weapon type, unmodified THAC0, attack roll, damage, and (optionally) initiative in your attack macro, with any bonuses applied to the rolls (not the THAC0) (if you do not include initiative in your attack roll, please remember to roll it separately each round). For example, assuming a 1st-level character has scores of 16 for strength (+2 to hit and damage) and 13 for dexterity (+1 to missile attack roll, +1 initiative), he could use the following macros:
  • Sword (THAC0 19): [1d20+2] [1d8+2] Init: [1d6+1]
    Long Bow (THAC0 19): [1d20+1] [1d6+1] Init: [1d6+1]
Combat Sequence
The combat sequence is BtB (p. B24):
  1. Initiative.
  2. Winning side acts:
    1. Morale check
    2. Movement
    3. Missile fire
    4. Spell casting
    5. Melee attacks
  3. Losing side acts in order above
Missile Fire into Melee
A missile fired into melee is at -2 to hit (the other melee combatants act as cover for the target). If the attack misses its intended target, it has a 50% chance (1-3 on a 1d6) of hitting a random melee combatant (including enemies in the same melee).

HP and Death
We will use the (unforgiving) rules in the book: "Any creature who is reduced to 0 hit points (or [fewer]) is dead." (B6)

Healing
A full day's rest heals 1d3 plus constitution bonus per full day of uninterrupted rest.
Last edited by Zhym on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

Magic and Spells

Magic is B/X is pretty simple. There are no casting times; casting occurs with initiative. However: "If the caster loses the initiative and takes damage or fails a saving throw, the spell is interrupted and lost." [p. X11]

Spell interpretations will be posted here as needed.

Return to “Zhym's Hack-'n-Slash Random Dungeon Crawl (BX)”