OOC

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC

#221 Post by The_Wanderer »

Kind of quiet around here lately. I'm ready to post but not much to respond to...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Zhym »

Sorry, folks. I haven't had a lot of time for the game.

Everyone seems ready for some rest. The only question seems to be where you try to rest.

The only way to heal wounds, other than by magic, is with a full day of rest (at 1d3/day). So you need to figure out whether you think you can get a full day (or days) of rest in the mountain, whether you would have better odds just outside the mountain, or if you need to go back to town to lick your wounds. Resting inside or just outside the mountain will be subject to random encounter rolls. You will also go through rations. If you go back to town, there will be a single random encounter roll in each direction. You'll have to pay for lodging and meals (although you could use rations if you want). You would also get XP awards and be able to divide loot in town. Of course, you'd also have to explain that you haven't found Penelope yet, but explaining is better than dying, right?

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#223 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

No sweat Zhym. RL happens. It's hard to get away from it :)

And, to be honest, the slower posting rate has been a help for me, as I've been busy too.

As for resting, we can't go back to town. From Molly's perspective, returning without Penelope is worse than dying in the mountain.

Molly's vote would be for trying to find a defensible location inside (e.g. a room where they could bar or wedge the door) and camp there.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Zhym »

That's one vote for camping out in the mountain. Anyone else have an opinion?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Rex »

Mountains is good with me.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Zhym »

And if so, the followup question is where exactly you plan to camp out. I'm not going to select a room for you. :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Rex »

See if we can find a spot outside where we can see the entrance.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Zhym »

Captain Kinkajou was suggesting that you camp inside the mountain (i.e., in the dungeon). Which is a little different than camping "in the mountains." English is a weird language.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Rex »

That is what happens when I fly through posts. I prefer to stay outside, but if the others want to stay inside I am fine with them picking a room.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#230 Post by GreyWolfVT »

If we have to back track and camp in the mountains that is fine i just feel it is counter productive.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#231 Post by VonAlric »

I would prefer to stay inside to rest and recover, going outside causes us to lose ground. However, as this is a group, majority should rule and I would abide by that decision. There was the room just back outside the royal chambers we came in that only has one entrance and could be defended easier. It does mean that we have to walk back down that stupid hallway with the shouting heads.

Zhym, would it be possible to have a forum that all of the maps were collected in? Easier to keep track of where things are and where else we may want to head to.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Zhym »

Good idea. I created a forum here: viewtopic.php?f=602&t=8552

Feel free to post maps there.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#233 Post by The_Wanderer »

OK. Seems we are leaning toward resting inside. Let's just push ahead and do it. Right about now I am wishing L1 Clerics got their first spells in B/X!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Rex »

Inside it is, Tanta can take any watch.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#235 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Rex wrote:Inside it is, Tanta can take any watch.
Same for Molly.

Room-wise I don't have any particularly strong leanings. VonAlric's suggestion makes sense. Though, like he says, I don't particularly want to go back through the hall with the Dwarf heads. The room we're in seems less than ideal, given there are three doorways but could we bar or block any of them?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Zhym »

I'm getting a little confused about which rooms you are all talking about camping in. Here's the current map of the level you're on. Which room do you want to use?
ZRDC UL (Current) (Smaller).png
ZRDC UL (Current) (Smaller).png (24.91 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
BTW, please keep in mind that you don't heal a lot of HP per day and that you need a full day of uninterrupted rest to heal. So if you hide out in a room one night, you won't heal anything. If you stay in that room all day and another night, and nothing disturbs you during that time, you'll heal 1d3 each. At that rate, it'll take 1-3 days to heal Twiddle and Cy to full and 3-8 days to heal Dax completely.

But I didn't mean for the need to recover HP to be such a huge issue that it would bring the game to a halt. And I think I did, inadvertently, with the whole "rescue Penelope" premise, which adds a time-pressure element and makes it kind of embarrassing to go back to town, which would be the usual thing to do in a dungeon delve when you have no healing and just got banged up in a tough fight. My bad.

So here's what I'm going to do, at least short term. I'm going to modify HP recovery from rest as follows:
  • A full day's rest heals 1d3 plus constitution bonus per day.
That'll cut the time for Dax to fully heal down to 2-3 days. That's still a long time to hide out in a room in a dungeon and hope not to be disturbed, though, so I'll also promise you that whatever you decide to do to rest, it won't affect whether Penelope is in a position to be rescued when you're done.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#237 Post by VonAlric »

I was talking about Room 2 if we wanted to just watch one door. However, that means moving enough that another random encounter could catch us. Room 3 does give us one door to watch since the yelling heads give us enough warning about anyone coming down that way. Let's retire to room 3 to heal up.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#238 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'd say room 2 is our best option
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Rex »

I don't care.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#240 Post by The_Wanderer »

Agreed. I think we can just rest in room 2 and be ready to go.

Return to “Zhym's Hack-'n-Slash Random Dungeon Crawl (BX)”