OOC

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC

#201 Post by Rex »

It was difficult to find a decent picture of a halfling in plate armor. My search skills are probably not as good as others and I like having pictures. In the earlier versions of the game Cha was about leadership, loyalty and personal magnetism. Which not amazingly is what the word Charisma actually means. A list of those who are attributed as having great charisma in the real world are mostly in the political and military and most were not renowned for their looks. FDR, Patton, Hitler, Stalin, Churchill, Napoleon, etc. I think it is more likely to include a attractiveness component when it deals with women ie. Cleopatra. But Joan of Arcs looks were never mentioned in any way by her contemporaries, which has been noted since even in that time period the French were famous for a fascination with beauty. But even so Joan is one of the classic examples of great Charisma. Of course all the movies about her have beautiful woman playing her, but any historian can tell you that movies make bad historical sources.

Interestingly this solves the Dwarf issue nicely. Dwarves make poor leaders of humans and elves, but among Dwarves they have great leaders. Thorin Oakenshield anyone.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rex wrote:Of course all the movies about her have beautiful woman playing her, but any historian can tell you that movies make bad historical sources. ...but among Dwarves they have great leaders. Thorin Oakenshield anyone.
I thought you said movies make bad historical sources. Or was that a book first? :? :P

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Rex »

I was referring to the book, and was a history book. :D

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#204 Post by The_Wanderer »

Hey Zhym, I saw you have a Weakened status effect on Cy. I missed that I think...do you remember when it happened?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Zhym »

That's from the gas trap that sprung when someone (I forget who) tried opening the door to this small hallway the first time.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

That was Twiddle trying to run away. :oops:

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#207 Post by VonAlric »

As a point of order for Cy, Iliro has already taken the flasks of oil and the lantern is currently carried by Molly (I believe).
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Starbeard »

Hi guys. The baby's healthy and doing just fine, but has the superhuman ability to go through a whole 24-hour day with almost no sleep at all. It's exhausting.

Anyway, please accept my sincere apologies for falling off these past few weeks. I’ve switched over to being the one who stays home with the newborn most days, and between that and teaching I’ve just been too swamped to do anything else. On top of that I’ve also had a computer crash this past month, two car breakdowns, and right now we’re in the middle of moving.

As you've probably expected, the cut is that I was thought I could keep up with some semblance of an online gaming schedule while taking care of the peanut, but clearly that was a stupid idea (I know, those of you with kids are all laughing at me right now).

In order to save my sanity and be fair to the rest of you, I’m just going to have to bow out of my games here for the foreseeable future. I’ll be back, but it’ll probably take a while. Fortunately I haven't really had a chance to bring Status Quofoot into the action yet, so he can happily retire with the rest of the halfling NPCs.

Sorry to drop the ball like this, Zhym. Wish I could stick around, I've been having a lot of fun in this game. Random dungeon crawls are one of my best loved parts of D&D.

Have fun, everyone. See you around!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Zhym »

Sorry to hear it, but totally understood.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Zhym »

At one point I had talked about using individual initiative, which is why I asked you to make macros that include modified initiative. But we haven't been doing that. Now I'm thinking of using optional individual initiative: if you roll individual initiative, I use that, then I roll a group initiative for everyone who didn't roll their own.

What do you all think?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Rex »

That is fine with me.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#212 Post by GreyWolfVT »

fine either way with me.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Zhym »

Do let me know if you would prefer one over the other. If no one cares either way, I'll probably just stick with group initiative because it's easier.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#215 Post by VonAlric »

Either way is fine with me as well. I'm all for whatever makes it easiest on the GM in the long run.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I only put Initiative in my macro because you had asked. I don't care about other than making it easier for the GM.

Twiddle is committed to using his bow, and not just because his rolls rocked the mic like a vandal. [/vanilla ice references for the rest of my life, hopefully]

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Zhym »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Twiddle crawls free of the dead wolf that he killed. Alone. He curses that his bow is trapped under its weight. Unwilling to lose another companion today, Even if it is the dwarf that was mesmerized by a statue of a little boy urinating, he charges W2 with his spear, impaling it with a grim smile. Gotcher back, Dax. he grunts.
Sorry about the unclear description, but the wolf that attacked Twiddle (W3) is still alive and fighting.

I'll assume that his attack goes against that wolf instead of the one on Dax.

Also, I'm going to start reporting apparent damage levels in combat. I'll steal a system Marullus has used pretty well in his game (although the levels might not be quite the same):

Barely wounded: 76%-100% HP remaining
Moderately wounded: 51%-75% HP
Heavily wounded: 26%-50% HP
Critically wounded: 1-25% HP

Also also: I was all set to tell you that individual initiative was too much of a PITA to deal with, but it turns out to have saved Tanta from taking 4 damage. The group initiative I rolled had the wolves winning the round. But Molly's individual initiative was enough to get the killing blow in first. So I guess I'll stick with individual initiative for now.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#218 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Zhym wrote:Sorry about the unclear description, but the wolf that attacked Twiddle (W3) is still alive and fighting.

I'll assume that his attack goes against that wolf instead of the one on Dax.
So cinematically I'm seeing... Twiddle crawls free of the dead wolf that he killed. Alone. He's about to charge off and aid Dax when there's a low growl from behind him and he turns to see the wolf rising from the floor. It seems it's not as dead as he thought.
Zhym wrote:Also, I'm going to start reporting apparent damage levels in combat. I'll steal a system Marullus has used pretty well in his game (although the levels might not be quite the same):

Barely wounded: 76%-100% HP remaining
Moderately wounded: 51%-75% HP
Heavily wounded: 26%-50% HP
Critically wounded: 1-25% HP
Cool. I think that will be good.
Zhym wrote:Also also: I was all set to tell you that individual initiative was too much of a PITA to deal with, but it turns out to have saved Tanta from taking 4 damage. The group initiative I rolled had the wolves winning the round. But Molly's individual initiative was enough to get the killing blow in first. So I guess I'll stick with individual initiative for now.
Nice. I like the way the individual initiative has helped create a little narrative within the round. I guess it won't always work out that way but here it's worked well. Good stuff.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Captain Kinkajou wrote:So cinematically I'm seeing... Twiddle crawls free of the dead wolf that he killed. Alone. He's about to charge off and aid Dax when there's a low growl from behind him and he turns to see the wolf rising from the floor. It seems it's not as dead as he thought.
OOOH! That's good. Really good! (Way better than mine! :( ) But I already edited my post and have to serve dinner now.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Zhym »

The_Wanderer wrote:I see in your notes that Cy is weakened - do you remember when that happened?
Check upthread:
Zhym wrote:That's from the gas trap that sprung when someone (I forget who) tried opening the door to this small hallway the first time.
You are reading this OOC thread, right? ;)

Return to “Zhym's Hack-'n-Slash Random Dungeon Crawl (BX)”