Gunfight at the Railroad Corral

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

Gunfight at the Railroad Corral

#1 Post by Black Wyvern »

Note: Kane Faction starts at the red dot. Russell Faction starts at the black dot. Double windows indicate second story window. Light shading, water tower, corral, railroad tracks offer movement penalties but no cover or vision obscured. Dark shading, hedges, obscure vision and provide cover. There is a bigger town but moving outside of this area will provoke town folk to start shooting in "self defense", so combatants must stay on the map or be fleeing the fight.

You are recently arrived in town and have volunteered to help put an end to the Kane-Russell War. It has recently been revealed that the Russell's have been getting financial support from back East. They have been gobbling up small ranches by any means for the last few months. The Kanes were able to get a judge to level charges against all four Russells and issue arrest warrants. Charges against them include stealing water, killing cattle, rustling, and murder. Unfortunately the local law has turned a blind eye and refused to discharge the warrants.

The word was sent out by Malachi Kane to meet at the Mad Mesa Saloon at dawn. The plan was to ride out to the Russell ranch and arrest "Old Man" Russell and his three sons: Frank, Clay and Jeff before the Russells could gather their forces. Unfortunately the Russells got word of it. Hezekiah Kane just entered the Mad Mesa Saloon and informed your group, Malachi and Jubal "Doc" Kane that the remaining members of the Kane faction were ambushed leaving the Kane Ranch and he was the only survivor. The Russells and several other gunmen have gathered at Babe's Saloon and are preparing to surround the Mad Mesa Saloon and finish the war themselves.

Both factions sight each other as they are heading out of their saloons. The Kanes and Russells both start walking toward the Railroad Corrals.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Gunfight at the Railroad Corral

#2 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel 'Shootout' Stokes

Well boys, looks like a nice day to throw some lead. Hopefully, the Russells worked out a group discount with the undertaker. He starts heading to the corrals with the Kanes. Guess it's time to earn my keep. I'll go with you guys and do what I do best. Besides, someone's gotta keep at least one of you alive so we can get paid, he says, grinning. Turning back to the others, he reminds them, All you with long guns, just remember not to shoot me and we should get through this just fine.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Nahum

"I am with you Samuel." As he loosens his 6 shooter in its holster. "Hiram, do you want my carbine?"

If Hiram doesn't want the carbine, Nahum slings it on its rope sling over his back in case he needs it.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Being a newcomer to this Podunk town, Sawbones has no idea what he has just walked into. The thought was to get a stiff drink to wash out his dusty mouth and get off of his sore feet for a while. But this feuding business sounded serious. Hearing Kane tell his story and looking around the room for a bit, the imposter doctor decides that this unlawful behavior of the Russll's should be put to an end. He stands up, cocks his rifle, and prepares to hook up with this desperate group for a spell.

As the group exits the saloon, he speaks up, hoping to lay out some kind of plan before bullets start flying.

"I got this here." He points to the modified shotgun at his hip. "Its gotten me outta some up close messes before, but it aint worth a shit at a distance."

"You boys got some kinda plan here? Or are we rushing in with all guns blazing? I aint no sharpshooter, but I know that I can aim best without holes in me."

Sawbones checks that all of his guns are fully loaded and heads for the southeast corner of the blacksmiths shop once the shooting starts.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Mose Turner had entered town hoping to find less violent work. He'd always been a fair hand with horses. But this was the only opportunity presenting itself, so he'd accepted it.

When the Russel's took to the street, Mose followed the others outside. I'll take my carbine and head behind the smithy. And keep you covered. Without waiting for any contradictory statements, he headed out the north door of the den of sin, sadly leaving all the courtesans behind, and took a left, hiding behind a rain barrel on the northern edge of the Blacksmith's Shop.

Edit: In retrospect, I really don't want a preacher. I can see me playing him as a total boor for everyone involved. I've changed the text above to remove the religious parts. Consider him a farm hand-turned-hired gun.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

Ted's nerves are daggers. This is it. A real gunfight, with real bullets. Time for the Wichita Kid to show his stuff—or die.

He's glad he hadn't had a chance to eat breakfast yet, or it would be on the ground in front of him.

He scans this section of town for anywhere within revolver range of the corral that can provide him some cover. He doesn't see much, not on this side of the corral, anyway. The railroad station, water tower, and warehouse are all prime locations but they're across the corral. He considers running for the warehouse—but if the shooting starts now, he'd barely make it to the corral.

For now, he follows along with Stokes, Nahum, and the Kanes. But he keeps his eyes peeled for cover if he needs to dive for it.

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#7 Post by jason.connerley »

Stumpy has spent the last few days in town and is disgusted at the situation. Corruption may be a fact of life but it isn’t one he likes. He didn’t like it in the Army and doesn’t like it now. However he knows if he is going to find employment he will have to prove his worth. Picking a side is easy.

If there was one lesson Stumpy took to heart from the service it was to always use cover if available. He considered getting on the roof but since time is short it didn’t seem practical so picking up his rifle he heads to the outhouse where he will have some concealment and still be well within effective range for his Winchester.

Scott308

#8 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel 'Shootout' Stokes

Stokes looks at the kid tagging along. Relax, sonny. You'll draw smoother and faster if you ain't tense. Tense'll make ya slow, and slow'll git ya killt. Shouldn't maybe your Pa be here 'stead of you?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Zhym »

"Slow ain't my problem," says the kid. "I can outdraw anybody!"

"It's the shootin' part that gives me trouble," he mutters.

Scott308

#10 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel 'Shootout' Stokes

Stokes stops and looks at the kid. What exactly, if I might ask, is the part of the shooting that gives you trouble? Glaring hard at him, the gunslinger asks, Have you ever actually shot a man? Or had someone shoot at you? He stands there, waiting for an answer.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

"Um...hitting things?" answers the Kid shakily. "I mean, don't get me wrong, I can hit the broad side of a barn. Tried it once. But, um, I ain't never shot at a man, 'specially one what's shooting at me back."

Scott308

#12 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel 'Shootout' Stokes

Don't think of it as shooting another man. Just think of it like target shooting at a tin can or something.

wapsii
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by wapsii »

"You may be scared, I know I've been, just control your fear. Just lLet it enhance your reactions and concentration." Rusty adds.

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by Black Wyvern »

The two factions walk toward each other hands flexing and eyes squinting as they close in and line up each taking note of his opposite. The Russells move into the East Corral from the railroad unloading dock on the north edge and line up along the west fence inside the corral. The Kanes enter the corral from the Buyers gate on the east side and line up just inside that edge. Two groups of seven men face each other. Other flankers scurry around taking up positions as they can.

The corral line up from North to South for each group: (range 5)
Kanes
Samuel
Nahum
Ted
Rusty
Malachi
Hezekiah
Jubal

Russells
Estaban Matamoros
Frank Russell
Clay Russell
Alex Sanders
Jack Sloan
Buckshot Blume
"Old Man" Russell

Sawbones finds from his location he is only able to have line of sight to Estaban but as Kane's fall that will change (range 14).

Mose runs around to the northeast corner of the blacksmith's shop but finds his view is blocked by a daunting wall of rabbitbrush in full bloom. Before he can worry about being blocked out of the fight Jeff Russell runs around the southwest edge of the general store, apparently thinking he was going to catch the Kane faction from the rear (range 4). From the corner of his eye Mose also catches sight of Bob Howard aiming out of Babe's second story window down into the corrals (range 10).

Stumpy goes to the outhouse and turns to see the backs of all the Kanes in the corrals are his only immediate targets, until he sees Bob Howard aiming at him out of Babe's second story window (range 13).

Skins McGregory sights a rifle out the front door of Babe's toward the Kane faction.

With positions taken Hez yells out, "Drop your guns and throw up your hands. I am a sworn US deputy and I got legal warrants for your arrest."

To which Old Man Russell responds "Not if you are dead!" and he draws.

OOC - And so it begins. Generally those lined up will be expected to take down the man across from them first then help where it is needed. Basically you can switch to the next guy to the left or right without penalty, you can give me preference on direction, but I may change that to benefit you as friends and foes fall, a lot happens in a round. We will worry about movement rules as they come into play. Roll three unmodified percentiles for each shot you are taking (up to three if your weapon allows it) and link them in your posts. I will modify and try to explain everything as I sum up the round. This is going to be pretty complicated so feel free to tell me if I miss something. Riflemen don't worry if you don't have much for targets, pistol fire will clear out a lot on the first round giving you more choices as the fight goes on. I have run this gunfight four times and it has never gone more than three rounds. Some PCs will probably not survive. Such is Boot Hill.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Zhym »

The Wichita Kid fast-draws his fast-draw revolver and fires three times. The shots get sort of kind of near his target.

The Kid wonders if he should have taken that doctor's advice to get fitted for glasses.

Bang!: [1d100] = 55 [1d100] = 72 [1d100] = 52
Bang!: [1d100] = 55 [1d100] = 72 [1d100] = 52
Bang!: [1d100] = 82 [1d100] = 99 [1d100] = 78

Those first two sets of rolls really are two separate rolls. The chance of duplicating all three numbers in order are, quite literally, one in a million. Which makes me wonder about the die roller.

Also, that looks like three misses to me. Bye-bye, Kid.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#16 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sawbones hides his concern for his life as best he can. Once the shooting starts, he fires his rifle at the only target he can currently see.

Rifle Fire [1d100] = 60 [1d100] = 77 [1d100] = 57
Rifle Fire [1d100] = 42 [1d100] = 59 [1d100] = 39
Rifle Fire [1d100] = 8 [1d100] = 25 [1d100] = 5

His nerves are clearly shaken.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Nahum

Nahum draws and fires for the first time on men trying to kill him. Chaos ensues.

[1d100] = 84 [1d100] = 1 [1d100] = 81

[1d100] = 96 [1d100] = 13 [1d100] = 93

[1d100] = 71 [1d100] = 88 [1d100] = 67

Scott308

#18 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel "Shootout" Stokes

Tingling with anticipation, Shootout smiles broadly as he readies to do what he does best. Hand held over his fast draw revolver, he doesn't wait until someone else makes a move- he tries to get this gunfight started himself. Drawing his shooting iron, he pulls the trigger three times in rapid succession, waiting for the haze and smoke to blow away so he can see what damage he has wrought.

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by jason.connerley »

Stumpy sees Bob in the second story window and realizes his tail is in the wind! Swinging up the big Winchester three shots break the silence as a cloud of smoke from the black powder cartridges forms in front of the muzzle.

[1d100] = 45, [1d100] = 62, [1d100] = 42

[1d100] = 98, [1d100] = 15, [1d100] = 95

[1d100] = 10, [1d100] = 27, [1d100] = 7

wapsii
Strider
Strider

#20 Post by wapsii »

Rusty fires quickly as the "Old Man" starts the firefight before running to his left.

[1d100] = 36 [1d100] = 53 [1d100] = 32

[1d100] = 5 [1d100] = 22 [1d100] = 2

[1d100] = 16 [1d100] = 34 [1d100] = 13

Return to “Go Heeled [Boot Hill 2nd Edition]”