Chapter 1: King's Festival - And so it begins...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Chapter 1: King's Festival - And so it begins...

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

What you know about the world:
You are young adventurers in the land of Karameikos, setting out to seek fame and fortune. Karameikos is a great, wide, young nation; a country of hills and mountains to the north, of verdant woodland, forest, and rolling farmland to the south. There are ample opportunities for adventure in this vast country, and you have left your homes to prove yourselves.

If you are a human character you were born in one of the small towns on the Duke’s Road, the trade route that runs from the far-distant capital of Specularum to the south into the northern Altan Tepes mountains and beyond. Just before you left, your tutor the kindly soul who first taught you the rudiments of skill in your chosen career had a few last words of wisdom for you, and wished you good luck and good fellowship on your journey. Taking the equipment you needed and the little money you had, you set out on a cool, crisp early autumn dawn to see what your destiny might bring. . .

If you are a halfling, you have come from a small community of the little folk along the Duke’s Road, where you have lived with humans. Halflings are curious creatures, and while hot food (lots of it!) and a good fire in the hearth are pleasures to return home to, something tells you that a young halfling should be a bit more ambitious. This shocked some of the more sedate souls in your family, but you were not to be deterred. You’ve chosen to seek your fortune along the road, and set off to see who may have need of your skills!

If you are an elf, you have traveled some way from your clan and home. From the cool, leafy tree-houses of your people, in the southeastern Karameikan forests and woodlands, you have trekked. You have chosen to head for the bustling towns and cities of the human folk to see what excitement and adventures may be found there. With a sheathed sword or small book of magic, you bring your skills as a warrior or wizard with you. The final advice of the old elf who taught you understanding of steel and magic is still in your ears, and you hope that you have learned well what he taught you!

If you are a dwarf, you have grown tired of the tradition and regular habits of your clan in their subterranean homes in the foothills west of the Shutturgal River. You have many happy memories of your home, where gnomes and dwarves share their work and laughter, but you feel wanderlust. Such is the way of many young dwarves. After traveling, most dwarves return to their homes, but they feel the same incurable desire to see something of the great world beyond their heartland as you do. The grumpy old dwarf who taught you how to use a weapon and to feel comfortable in armor, had good advice for you, and you think this over as your tired feet trudge along the road.

Duke's Road Map:

Arrival to Stallanford
You have arrived at the town of Stallanford, on the Duke’s Road. The town is bustling and busy, with many visitors and merchants’ wagons seeking hostels and stables for horses. This is no ordinary day, for tomorrow is the first day of the King’s Festival! Karameikos has no king, but this long-held festival honors a great hero of the distant past, King Halav. Long before Karameikos was a nation, King Halav of the Traldar folk fought with his warriors against evil Beast-Men. In a great battle, Halav and the king of the Beast-Men fell, but the evil ones fled and the safety of the humans was ensured.

You’re rather late in arriving, and many folk are asleep. You sniff the pleasing aroma of cooking meat and warm bread, and you make for the tavern, the Hungry Halfling, for a meal and some rest. The inn is busy, but you find a table right away. The friendly old halfling who owns the hostelry charges 5 silver pieces for dinner, a bed, and breakfast. It’s good value though the joint of beef you see on the table will fill your stomach after your long journey!

The players all bump into one another here at the tavern use this time to introduce yourselves to one another.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: King's Festival - And so it begins...

#2 Post by shaidar »

Weston enters the tavern and looks around. The human youth stands average height, but holds few extra pounds, and he wipes his tunic arm across his sweaty forehead, the result of a long days walk. His tired feet and hunger are not enough to outweigh his good mood at finally being out adventuring on his own.

He speaks to the halfing proprietor, ordering the 5 sp special, an ale and enquiring about bathing and laundry services. He takes a seat at the empty table, enjoying his ale while he waits for the food, drinking in the atmosphere and looking around at the other folk in the Inn.

OOC: how much is an ale?

GreyWolfVT

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ale Prices
Good, 1 pint - 1sp
Bitter, 1 pint - 1cp
Good, 1 gallon pitcher - 2sp
Bitter, 1 gallon pitcher - 5cp
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Elanriel

The blonde-haired she-elf sits alone at a table in the back corner of the busy inn and watches as the hubbub of other patrons go about their business. She scowls at her mug of ale and takes another sip, more for something to do than for refreshment. Her drab leathers are those of a hunter or traveller but anyone with a keen eye will notice the chainmail underneath and the twin blades at her hips marking her as a warrior. And more than that, there is something about her bearing and a ferocity in her gaze that betrays her combative nature also.

She notes the newcomer enter and, when Weston looks in her direction, she stares back at him defiantly. There is a fierceness in her that is uncharacteristic of Elves.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by shaidar »

Weston sees the elf lady meet his gaze and he nods and smiles in return, although his smile falters when he sees the defiant look on her face. He looks and way and takes a long drink of his ale.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Egon Wayfinder

Egon trudges into the Inn after a long day of travel, looking forward to a good meal. "Hey inn keep, I will take a pitcher of your good ale and the dinner tonight. I will be staying the night and having breakfast as well". After moment of discussion with the inn keep he drops his 7 sp in the halfling's hand and finds a seat against the wall, nearest the fire. Egon's black armor and shield and close cropped hair and beard give him an unusual look for a dwarf, combined with his size (as tall as the she elf already in the room and heavier than the young man by a good bit as well). He props his shield, axe and quiver up against the wall. Settling in he starts drinking his ale, his eyes roaming over the common room as if he was accustomed to memorizing every detail of his location.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by shaidar »

Weston

After the reaction from the elf lady, Weston does his best not to stare at the unusual dwarf, who must be as wide as he is tall!

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Dram »

Xlore- Peers out of the shadows at the back of the inns corner booth. As the Human & Dwarf comes into the Inn. He gives the female elf a smile. Then shakes his empty mug at the innkeeper. I will have a refill good sir and I better reserve a room for the night before they are all gone. This place has become quite busy.(Good) 2 sp deducted.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by LtTibbles »

Talrand smiles as he finally sees the lights of the Hungry Halfling finally he can rest his feet and fill his belly.

Entering through the doorway he greets the innkeeper. "Good evening sir I'd like to rent a room and have myself a meal and a pint of the good stuff!" Paying his 6 silver he finds himself a seat in the crowded inn at the table of a slightly overweight man in grey and blue clothing.

"Ah well met friend I hope you don't mind me sitting with you, seating seems to be a little sparse here but I guess that's what you can expect during the King's Festival eh?"

He takes a quick sip of his ale before a thought suddenly dawns on him. "Oh my I beg your pardon I haven't introduced myself, my name is Talrand Bren!" He offers his hand out to the stranger immediately.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by shaidar »

Weston is relieved to finally see a friendly face. He smiles and shakes the proffered hand. "Please, sit and make yourself comfortable, I'm glad of the company. I'm Weston Turville, priest of Azuth. Are you here for the festival, or just passing through?"

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Innkeeper the old halfling comes and takes the drink and food orders and returns a short while later with everyone's orders with a happy little smile on his face he places the drinks and food before each person and says "Welcome and I o hope you enjoy the food and ale." then the halfling merrily sets off to tend to the other customers in the inn.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Elanriel

Elanriel sits at her table contemplating. There is something in the air. A strangeness, like the change before a rainstorm. The she-elf can’t quite put her finger on what it is though.

The young human who had been looking at her, suddenly gets nervous and looks away. She realises she must have been glaring at him and feels a bit bad about it. After all, he seems fairly harmless and she hadn’t meant to unsettle him… or then again, perhaps she had. Keeping people at a distance was a hard habit to break. Life out in the world was complicated.

Soon after, she is pleased to see another young man, somewhat shorter and wearing a dark green robe, go over to the first young man’s table, introduce himself and sit down. The first young man seems to relax as the two begin talking and she wonders what they are talking about and how people do that. They make it look so easy.

Her gaze strays around the room again, on the lookout for any danger. That’s another hard habit to break but perhaps one she is happy to keep. She watches as a large Dwarf clad in black armour orders a beer and a room, and then catches the eye of an Elf sitting in the shadows at the back of the inn across from her. The elf smiles and she makes a conscious effort not to glower back at him. She manages a slight nod of acknowledgement. It will have to do. One small step at a time.

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by LtTibbles »

Talrand nods cheerfully "The festival is my favorite time of year! A chance for all of us to honor the legendary King Harlov, recounting the tales of his great deeds and noble sacrifice, along with the chance ti enjoy great food and drink!" He raises his ale in the air to the old halfling innkeeper before settling back down.

"Ahh...it's a magical time... are you here to enjoy the festivities as well?" He pulls a strand of meat from his joint and begins to chew on it.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by shaidar »

Weston takes a long drink "Well, I have certainly priestly responsibilities, it is my duty to travel the lands to seek out new magical knowledge and encourage people to take up the mantle of wizard, but I see no reason why I can't combine this with some tradition, history and enjoyment too, you are only young once!"

He starts to tuck into his meal too.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Dram »

Xlore- Thief/AC5/ Hp10of10 -Gets up from his table and approaches Elanriel table. Speaking in Elvish.Good evening Cousin. I am Xlore StrongOak from Everlund. May I sit with you? You look like you may need the company of a fellow elf. Is this your first time out in the human world?
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Elanriel

The elf gets up from his table and approaches.

Oh no! Elanriel thinks in a slight panic. He's coming over. For a moment, she has the urge to flee.

Don't be silly, she tells herself, doing her best to suppress her discomfort. If this were a battle you would not be afraid. Stay calm.

"I am not used to being around others," she replies slightly abruptly in elvish. Her speech is somewhat awkward. She pronounces the words oddly, with a strange nasal lisp, as though she has difficulty making the right sounds. "You will find me poor company I think, but sit if you wish."

The she-elf seems unlike other elves. Not just because of her strange manner and way of speaking (and the fact that she has consciously or unconsciously omitted to introduce herself) but also because there is a sense of immaturity about her. It is difficult to be certain, since elves physically mature at the same rate as humans, but there are signs that she is not yet an adult and quite young to be out in the world.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Dram »

Xlore- Sits with the young Elf. He can tell that this is her first time away from the elven homeland. He continues to speak to in elvish. What brings out into the world of men at such a young age cousin. You will get used to being around people they are all over in a town like this. Myself I am seeking adventure. I am looking for a group to start adventuring with myself.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Elanriel

Elanriel listens to Xlore and considers his questions carefully before responding in her awkward nasal tone.

"I don't feel young," she puzzles. "I think I am ready to find my own way in the world. It seemed the right thing to do."

Her thoughts drift elsewhere as Xlore continues to talk.

There is something else, a deeper current beneath the surface drawing her toward something. Can you not feel it? she wonders. Studying Xlore for any sign that he senses it too. But there is none.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Dram »

Xlore- Thief/AC5/ Hp10of10 From the looks of the others that arrived here recently they appear to be looking for adventure also. He waves to the 2 men that sitting each other.(Weston & Talrand) Than to the dwarf.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by shaidar »

Weston realises that he has finished his dinner, he must have been hungrier than he thought. The admonishments his master used to give him about his table manners silently echo in his ears, as he glances around to see if anybody saw him shovelling his food into his mouth.

He spies the elf (Xlore) waving at him from across the room and he turns to Talrand "That elf seems to be trying to get our attention, I'm going to see what he wants".

He heads over to Xlore and smiles at both the elves. He speaks to them in elvish "Good evening to you both, I couldn't help but notice you wanted my attention, is there something I can help you with?"

Return to “Archive”