The Brandin' Iron Saloon - Out of Character

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

Re: The Brandin' Iron Saloon - Out of Character

#161 Post by Black Wyvern »

If we adopt I would let existing characters remain the way they were created if you choose but future characters would be created under the new rule.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Zhym »

Black Wyvern wrote:
Zhym wrote: I usually try not to be That Guy.
Something I am finding harder to believe as the days go by.
That's because you don't see all the things I manage not to comment on. :)

If we go with the house rule, I'd like to undo Ted buying a scatter gun since he'll be non-useless with his revolvers.

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#163 Post by Black Wyvern »

I don't think that makes it better!

Yeah we will go with it. Player option to change their characters we will go with the new rule for all new characters. Everyone also remember to add a luck point. I believe our only luck check was a fail.

Rusty - How is the new character coming?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Zhym »

I wouldn't have said anything except that you seem to use correct grammar and spelling if everywhere else. If you were using "your" instead of "you're" and getting "there," "their," and "they're" confused everywhere, I'd have just written it off as not really having a grasp of English (and then avoided the game, alas, because seeing those kinds of errors makes my eyes hurt).

I've updated Ted's IC post to undo the scatter gun purchase and give an in-game reason why he's suddenly going to be better at shooting.

On gambling: Do I read the rules correctly that the worst that happens if you're caught cheating is you have to give your winnings back? So if you try to cheat, you increase your chances of winning, with no risk that you walk out with less money than you started with? That seems weird.

How would we play gambling if Ted wanted to do it? I don't want to PbP a poker game. Would I just say "Ted spends the afternoon playing poker," name how much he's willing to play with, and we roll to see how well he did?

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#165 Post by Black Wyvern »

No I have a reaction table for if you are caught cheating. You will probably end up with a stage ride out of town compliments of the town marshal but you can end up dead.

Gambling is done one hand at a time with a good deal of role-playing done along the way.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Zhym »

No point in tying things up gambling, then. A single hand of poker would probably take a week to resolve.

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#167 Post by Black Wyvern »

Not really. I have had several gamblers over the years. Even online it isn't that big a deal. I have only killed a couple!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Black Wyvern wrote:Rusty - How is the new character coming?
I rolled him up. Another strong coward that stinks with a gun. :roll: I'm calling him Tall Tom Timber, the man from the mountains.

Just need to buy his provisions. Hopefully tomorrow.

I don't understand the house rule, exactly, but I think he'll go for rifle and throwing. I'll give him a tomohawk and a couple of knives if I can.

Also, Mose had a fare horse. Who got that? They wouldn't do it back east, would they?

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#169 Post by Black Wyvern »

With your accuracy rolls your second accuracy roll will be pretty good but your first is +0. The same modifier that you get for being untrained. So if you want to be good at a rifle you can pick pistol or bow for your first "trained" accuracy. It doesn't matter which. Then you would have a +15 with your rifle. Bow, Pistol and Throwing would all be the same +0. You could choose to have the +15 in pistol by taking bow and pistol. But if you take rifle and throwing rifle will be +0 as it takes your first roll and throwing will be +15, your second.

He actually wouldn't be a bad gunfighter. Only his bravery would hold him back but he can get over that as bravery increases.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Tall Thom Timbers, Mountain Man, right handed

Speed [1d100] = 90, Gun Accuracy [1d100] = 7, Throwing Accuracy [1d100] = 87, Strength [1d100] = 82
Bravery [1d100] = 5, Experience [1d100] = 22, Hand [1d10] = 2

After Adjusting:
Speed - 90+5= 95
Gun Accuracy - 7+25= 32
Throwing Accuracy - 87+5= 92
Strength - 82+5= 87
Bravery - 5+25= 30
Experience - 22+25= 47

So: If I went pistol/rifle, Pistol would be 32 and Rifle will be 107? If that is correct, I'll take it.

Or should I have made separet rolls for each of these:
Bow Accuracy
Pistol Accuracy
Rifle Accuracy
Throwing Accuracy

Sorry to be so thick headed. :oops:

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#171 Post by Black Wyvern »

Not 107 just 92 but yeah you got the gist of it. You make the same two rolls, but there are four possible accuracies of which you only get to choose two of them, essentially crossing out the others. You get some control over what your character is good at but at the cost of not being very good with the two weapon types.

So this would be your character. You don't include the crossed out stats in the final writeup.

Speed - 95
Bow Accuracy
Pistol Accuracy - 32
Rifle Accuracy - 92
Throwing Accuracy
Strength - 87
Bravery - 30
Experience - 47

Or you could do this and be a pistoleer.

Speed - 95
Bow Accuracy - 32
Pistol Accuracy - 92
Rifle Accuracy
Throwing Accuracy
Strength - 87
Bravery - 30
Experience - 47

Or technically you could cross out any of the first three and be a throwing guy. It wouldn't matter which because the accuracy never improves and your 32 is average with a +0 modifier. So you only get a bonus with one weapon regardless. But it is a nice bonus!

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#172 Post by Black Wyvern »

Noticing the lack of either. A winter coat will cost $1 as will a bedroll, which includes a couple blankets and a oiled canvas outer cover to keep it dry.

Are you guys pretty much ready?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Zhym »

Ted will buy a winter coat too. But not tonight and probably not tomorrow. Other than that, I'm basically ready to roll.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Rex »

Nahum will buy wool mittens (0.13) and a bed roll (1.00). Sheet updated. That puts him in fair shape for cold weather with what he already had. I can't seem to find any prices for provisions. I only have $1.65 left so won't be buying much, maybe I will get lucky with some hunting along the way.

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#175 Post by Black Wyvern »

Darn guys I am sorry. I created the equipment list from three different sources and must have been getting tired. I forgot one whole side of the biggest list. It has been added.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Zhym »

The Wichita Kid should be ready to go. I forgot that I'd already bought him a mackintosh, which should be at least as good as a heavy cloth coat, right?

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#177 Post by Black Wyvern »

A macintosh is a duster. A single layer of canvas. A heavy cloth coat is a quilted coat with an outer oiled canvas liner. The HCC is much better in cold weather.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Zhym »

And yet the Mack is $5 vs. $1 for the heavy coat.

Okay, I'll add a heavy coat too.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Rex »

Added provisions, no money left.
Bacon 4 lbs
Beef, dried 5 lbs
Hominy 1 lbs
Oatmeal 10 lbs
Sweet Potatoes 2 lbs

Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#180 Post by Black Wyvern »

Yeah the Macintosh is a more stylish approximately knee length coat. The heavy cloth is working man's clothing. Style costs.

I am gone starting tomorrow for the weekend. I will move us forward Sunday night, ready or not.

Return to “Go Heeled [Boot Hill 2nd Edition]”