Chapter 3: The Land That Time Forgot

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1 Post by Inferno »

The Inland Jungle, Forbidden Island of Xygax the Wizard, Land of One Thousand Towers
Day One. Afternoon. March 25th, 912 CY
Hot, humid, clear

The shipwrecked adventurers journey on through the strange, primeval jungle in search of the tower of the dead wizard, Xygax. Beneath the thick foliage, the cacophony of exotic lizards, insects, monkeys and birds is unceasing.

By late afternoon, the dense verdant jungle slowly gives way. From their vantage at the western threshold of the rainforest, the explorers look down into a swampy river valley, framed by the jagged spine of a distant, volcanic mountain range to the west and south.

The marsh valley is teeming with life of a different kind.

The adventurers had heard legends of mythical thunder lizards that lived 100 million years before Earth That Was, but they had never before seen one.

The trail leads west for three miles across the valley that time forgot, and into the mountains toward the dead wizard's tower.

Actions?

Island Map, to date:

X = The adventurers' current position. The approximate position of the Dead Wizard's Tower was visible from the Beach of the Towering Goddess.

PC Status: PC Magic:
  • None currently
PC Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 3: Yesterday is Tomorrow

#2 Post by wolfpack »

Oh no there goes Tokoyo, Godzilla.

Allow me to consult the oracle of Tee Emez Eee to determine our best path

LL removes and iron box from his pack and unlocks it with a key around his neck. He removes a velvet ball and form it pulls and Item as dark and shiny as obsidian.

He closes his eyes as his hand rubs over its surface.

Oh great Tee Emez Eee shall we your most humble servants cross this valley of great beasts or should we traverse around and find another way.

He holds the orb above his head and shakes it as he hums. then pulling it down he peers at it intensely
8ball.jpg
8ball.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 7678 times

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"We'll be squashed like bugs," says Fiefo after LL's oracle has spoken. He gazes around but sees no better alternative. "...there's no way we're getting through there unsquashed," he adds, impotently, after an awkward pause. Sighing, he arranges his pack and prepares to descend. "Might as well get it over with," he says.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Urson »

Maskelyn

The gnome has been fascinated since they first left the trees. Magnificent! Incredible! What a wonder! His eyes are wide and shining, like a small boy on Blackfriday Morning, ready to open his gifts.

All I see are plant-eaters. If we proceed carefully, as if through a herd of MegaBison, we should be safe. I believe they will avoid us, if we avoid them.
FA FO

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Tullia

She remembers the history lessons from her parents, who talked about what they knew of the planet's past. They had mentioned that in the long past, before humans and other peoples existed, there were huge creatures that walked the earth, and then had mysteriously died off.

Wow! Amazing! They are stuff of the history stories my parents told. They may be big, but I think they are not very bright or fast-moving. We may be able to avoid them. There are a few carnivores among them, so you know. They may be smaller and move faster.
SpinwardMarch

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Starbeard »

Jeojand is not troubled. His spells will keep him out of harm's way in the valley. Still, he pauses to look up at the sky and make a rough guess of how many hours of sunlight are left in the day. "It is afternoon… This might be a good place to camp after all, where we can look over the valley and give ourselves a full day tomorrow to cross as carefully as we need."
Sorry! I've been checking for updates in Chapter 2 all week and stupidly didn't realize that I was looking at page 3 of 4 the whole time. :oops:

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Urson »

Maskelyn

That is a very good point, my friend. Maskelyn says this without taking his eyes off the great beasts grazing the plain.
FA FO

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Buck gulps audibly......several times, while watching the many huge beasts.

He looks around at the ground closely to determine what type of soil is prevalent here before deciding if it's safe to sleep nearby.

"It appears safe to camp here. If we go now and we don't make the tower by nightfall, we will be setting up a camp in an unknown area in the dark. I say we find a spot to settle right here."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ko-Nan hefts his mighty cleaver and surveys the land and beasts. "Meat," he utters. "That one, though,"as he points at the nature elf Tulia, "has the measure of them, I think"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Inferno »

Valley of the Dinosaurs, Forbidden Island of Xygax the Wizard, Land of One Thousand Towers
Day One. Late Afternoon. March 25th, 912 CY
Hot, humid, clear

Maskelyn and Tullia are stricken agape with wonder and astonishment by the Valley That Time Forgot.

From the adventurers' vantage point atop a gentle slope at the western edge of the primordial jungle, a marsh river valley is laid before them, impossibly inhabited by mythical land leviathans from before the Dawn of Mankind!

After seeking wise prophecies from Adrock's ancient oracular orb, consensus builds to camp here for the night. The shipwrecked explorers of the unknown make their preparations.

Actions? (Night watch rotation, please. Campfire? Any other actions or preparations you'd like to make before I move to the overnight? Thanks!)

Island Map, to date:

X = The adventurers' current position.
The approximate position of the Dead Wizard's Tower was visible from the Beach of the Towering Goddess.

PC Status: PC Magic:
  • None currently
PC Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by wolfpack »

Camping is fine, but tomorrow I cross the valley rather than looking for another way around, it has been decreed by the goddess.

LL will use his last healing spell on Maskelyn

[1d8] = 1

Allow the power of Tee Emez Eee to course over you

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, hold on.
Last edited by wolfpack on Tue May 15, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ko-Nan shrugs. "Today or tomorrow is no difference" He will range northwards along the valley rim looking for food.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Tullia

We should set up a night watch. Given the "unique" creatures here, it would be prudent. I will be happy to take several hours in the night. Who would like to take first watch?

Do we need to have a small fire?
SpinwardMarch

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Buck looks around for some soft dirt to dig a hole. After making a tidy burrow to sleep in, he agrees to take a watch.

"I can stay up for the first watch, but I will need rest and time to commune before I can regain my magic."

He finds a good vantage point to plop down and continues watching around this strange environment, hoping none of the big monsters decide to come and have a taste. He looks to the groups hunters before settling in.

"Should we check the wind direction......or something?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Starbeard »

Jeojand offers to pair up in the first watch. "While it is still light, allow me demonstrate to you all the physical and ocular superiority of the cat-people. If one of you has parchment and ink, I will gladly put it to good use in making a map of our surroundings."

Standing below the tallest tree nearby, the beastman displays a small jar of harmless long-legged spiders from his pouch. He fishes one out and can't help but play with it a little before crushing it in his jaws with a dash of powdered asphalt, "for seasoning."

Having cast his spider climb spell, Jeojand scurries up the tree to get a lay of the land and draw up a map if the materials are available. He looks for major landmarks, including the tower and the statue of the green goddess, judging distance as best he can; he observes the length and breadth of the valley below, and tries to locate possible alternate routes to the tower. He also observes the wind and sky in all directions to get a handle on incoming weather, and to see if there are any flying thunder lizards. After making his observations, he stays up the tree until dark, watching the tower and the animal movements in the valley.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Tullia

Drat, I thought she had paper and pencils...
Anyway, she sees well in the dark, so her watch segment shouldn't be a problem.
SpinwardMarch

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Urson »

Maskelyn

Thank you, Adrock. I'll likewise need some time to study, but I can take a watch. Just let me know.

I think we should have a small fire- even the tropics can get chilly in the middle of the night.

He sets up his tent, the settles down to meditate and regain his spell for tomorrow.
FA FO

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by wolfpack »

I must get enough rest to study my spells, I will take last watch

Return to “Once and Future Earth (1e)”