Entering the Pod-Caverns

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Entering the Pod-Caverns

#1 Post by ybn1197 »

Strange doings are underfoot in the wild hills bordering the realm of decent and civilized folks. Villagers and cattle have gone missing; woodcutters have disappeared; misshapen beings have been seen shuffling through the forests. Some brave villagers have tracked a group of stolen oxen as far as the rocky banks of a small river in the hills. The trail disappeared down into a fissure in the limestone rock, where a fast-running stream plunges down to the dark caverns below. The villagers do not have much money, but they do have three potions of healing, bestowed upon them a year ago by a traveling cleric. They will happily give these to any adventurers willing to rid them of the threat to their village. One potion will be given at the outset, and the other two upon the party’s successful return.

You are standing near a cold mountain brook, about five feet across and fast-running, which tumbles from the rocks above and thence down into a cave-like crevice in the earth. The crevice is almost ten feet wide, with a ceiling of eight feet. The sound of the water echoes from the cave mouth.

I need a marching order and who is holding a torch or lantern.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Entering the Pod-Caverns

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix walks near to the edge carefully, looking inside and all around for any indication that it might be unsafe to enter. He studies the immediate area outside, searching for any signs that something might have been here recently. He speaks with his fellow spell casters first.

"Does anyone have an available light source that doesn't require fire? The way that water is splashing around down there, I don't think a torch will be much good to us once we get inside."

He turns again to the entire group.

"This looks like our objective right here, folks. It will undoubtedly be dark and slippery inside there, so lets use caution as we travel. Lets look around a bit up here before anyone enters. There may be clues around as to who actually uses this place."

tomlowshang
Tracker
Tracker

#3 Post by tomlowshang »

Yulia says "Let me have a look before any one else tramples over possible tracks."

She examines the banks of the brook near the entrance to the cave looking for recent signs of activity, aside from Travix's, that is.

Ranger tracking [1d100] = 85

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by ybn1197 »

There does not appear to be any recent traffic in this area.

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#5 Post by hammerHead »

Ritbert

Hark, we must take heart. We will be underground soon, says the dwarf to the others.
Rules:
Midlands: https://lowfantasygaming.files.wordpres ... -10-16.pdf
Shroom: https://mega.nz/#!uSBHWIJD!vxDZlE_dOoua ... N1vbDqqu1E

Hradian the Rogue: The Midlands [LFG]
Ritbert the Bold: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (OSRIC)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Inferno »

Ulfang the Barbarian crouched by the cold clear stream and filled his waterskin. Then his pale eyes scanned the wooded horizon as he sniffed the air and listened for their enemies.

A wild thing not bred to the idea of civilization, the barbarian was glad to be out of the village, and anticipating bloodshed and slaughter again.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Palgravadorix

The druid scans the trees and scrub around the brook for signs of fauna — birds, lizards, small mammals — with whom he might be able to speak about what comes and goes from the cave.
Failure is always an option.

Pelokentus
Runner
Runner

#8 Post by Pelokentus »

Osford Green Ears pulls a torch and flint set out of his bag.

"Trithereon has never failed to reward me with light when I've asked, but I prefer to help myself if able. I'll carry a torch, but if there is a problem will appeal to the Summoner for illumination."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Entering the Pod-Cave

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix seems stunned initially by the rangers words.

"There is only stone and water here, my dear. If you can find tracks in either of those, then I am in great company indeed!"

Spending most of his time alone, wandering the lands, the mage has never perfected the art of tact or patience during conversation. He decides to step away from the opening to let those better suited determine how we will enter.

The old man is starting to look aged beyond his years. Not frail or weak, yet, but clearly not as spry as he once was. He pulls out some parchment and a charcoal pencil and begins to make a rough scetch of what the opening looks like and where it is positioned within the surrounding landscape.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#10 Post by Hotgoblin »

Kelsey Stee-laton, Halfling Thief carefully sneaks past most of the group to get the crevice . She looks for any signs of unnaturally bent foliage around the opening of the crevice...

Find Traps

tomlowshang
Tracker
Tracker

#11 Post by tomlowshang »

Yulia shakes her head. "I got nothing. Either the earth does not want me to see it or too much time has past since the villagers discovered this location."

She looks around at the others doing what they do best and nods in satisfaction.

She says to Travix, "Everything that steps on the ground leaves a trace, even on the hardest rock. If it steps into the water, it carries the water onto the rock and leaves a trace."

Yulia moves closer to Kelsey in case something lurks in the darkness of the cave.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Inferno »

Ulfang the Barbarian ignored the spat. Such trivialities were meaningless to him.

After scanning the perimeter, he joined the women at the cavern mouth. He placed one finger across his closed mouth, reminding the others they were too close to the enemy to be making noise.

Then Ulfang looked for what tale rock or water could tell.

Ranger tracking: [1d100] = 88 No tale to be found! :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Dave R
Runner
Runner

#13 Post by Dave R »

Luthandier checks his gear while the others search.

"I need no light, if I am posted in front. Probably I will perish up there, but such is the risk of traveling underground. If that cave mouth is not itself a trap, I am ready to enter."

Carrying sword and shield I believe, though if the cave is long and straight enough for a clear line of sight it will be bow ready.

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by hammerHead »

Kitbert the Bold

Let any fiends taste my trident! Har! Har!, exclaims the fighter
Rules:
Midlands: https://lowfantasygaming.files.wordpres ... -10-16.pdf
Shroom: https://mega.nz/#!uSBHWIJD!vxDZlE_dOoua ... N1vbDqqu1E

Hradian the Rogue: The Midlands [LFG]
Ritbert the Bold: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (OSRIC)

Pelokentus
Runner
Runner

#15 Post by Pelokentus »

Osford shoulders his pack and takes a place behind the rangers and thief. Waiting for the party to gather he lights his torch and places a hand on the mace at his waist.

I don't like this cave he says, looking at the dank opening in the earth. I feel we must move lightly.

Osford's mouth moves in a muttered prayer.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by ybn1197 »

The tunnel down into the caverns winds along a narrow and uneven path, following the river’s natural course. Stalactites hang low from the ceiling, and the rock floor is treacherously slippery from the splashing water. The subterranean air has a placid, piercing chill, all too familiar to veteran adventurers. Suddenly, the river-carven tunnel slopes abruptly downward, and just ahead there is the unmistakable sound of a waterfall dashing down to rocks below.

Kelsey does not find any traps in the immediate vicinity.
Palgravadorix there are some small birds fluttering about the trees.

tomlowshang
Tracker
Tracker

#17 Post by tomlowshang »

Yulia says to Luthandier, "Elves and Halflings work well together, so it is natural that you might expect to be at the front. However, you appear overburdened, which may put you at a disadvantage. If you prefer, I will work with Kelsey instead."

Dave R
Runner
Runner

#18 Post by Dave R »

"Ah, glorious rearguard. I have heard too many tales of ambushes to think that is any safer. No, let me scout with you as we had planned. At least I will not be blinded by the humans' lights."

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Palgravadorix

Casts Speak with Animals

The druid inclines his head toward the birds above, opens his mouth, and issues a series of trills and tweets pitched several octaves above his normal speaking voice.

"O little darters among the boughs, sing to me of the creatures that come and go from this cave. What manner of creature be they? When do they come forth and when do they return, and how many do they number, and who leads them, o ye blessed of the air and of these woods?"

His companions might remark that this is the most they've ever heard him say, even if to their ears it's pure gibberish.
Failure is always an option.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by ybn1197 »

The birds seem hesitant at first to talk but your nature seems to draw them in and soon a couple of the birds flitter down towards you. "They are like you," they say. "They walk on the ground for they can not soar through the air. We have seen them mostly when there is light, but there have been times when their clumsy movement has awoken us in our nests. They are a group. They are not one. And who should lead them but the one in the front."

A special note: When it comes to communicate with animals, I have seen two schools of thought. One, is to treat them as human and give the most understandable answers possible. The other, and more difficult one, is to treat them as animals and answer from their point of view. I have always tried to go with the latter. It makes sense that the animals would answer from their point of view and references.

Return to “The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (OSRIC)”