IC I

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC I

#281 Post by thirdkingdom »

Round One

Before the giant can react Bodhi casts a spell, splashing acid upon its club. Drust and the Preacher both fire, with Drust catching the giant again with an arrow, this time in its neck. Seeing this, Nerith advances forward and throws his spear at the giant. It, too, hits, driving into the creature's chest. Enraged, the giant looks around and sees Drust, the archer who shot him twice, standing upon the ridge, and it begins to charge up the hill towards the thief, completely forgetting about its club in the heat of the moment. The hill giant makes it perhaps halfway up the hill towards the ranged attackers!
Orokos appears to be down for the moment. I'm rolling on my phone:
Giant hp: 19-8-7 hp
Initiative, PCs first: 6, 4
Drust: Hits with another 24. Because the giant hasn't had a chance to react yet I'm going to call this another backstab, for 8 more points of damage.
Preacher: Miss with a 13
Bodhi casts acid splash on the club, results tbd.
Nerith advances and throws spear: And that's a natural 20. I don't double critical hit results. Rather, the attack does automatic maximum damage.
Hill giants have a morale of 8. I'm going to go ahead and make a morale check. Note that I use 3d6 for morale, rather than 2d6, to smooth out the curve a bit: Result of 9. The hill giant is going to charge Drust. Because it is moving uphill, though, I'm going to rule that moves at half speed.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#282 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nerith takes out his hand axes one in each hand preparing to close and throw one then next round close on the giant again and throw the other. "Elerik we need to advance and press the attack."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bigtaff
Ranger
Ranger

#283 Post by Bigtaff »

Elerik

Head down the slope, blade drawn and move to attack the giant at first opportunity.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Rex »

Drust

Drust will release one last arrow, then drop his bow and draw his sword. "Die beast!!"

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#285 Post by hammerHead »

Preacher Cardicus

Die you oversized humanoid, shouts the cleric as he hurls another sling bullet!
Rules:
Midlands: https://lowfantasygaming.files.wordpres ... -10-16.pdf
Shroom: https://mega.nz/#!uSBHWIJD!vxDZlE_dOoua ... N1vbDqqu1E

Hradian the Rogue: The Midlands [LFG]
Ritbert the Bold: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (OSRIC)

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by thirdkingdom »

Round Two

Drust backpedals as the giant closes the distance, firing an arrow that lodges into the creature's chest. Preacher Cardicus is unable to get out of the way in time, and just narrowly avoids a swing from the giant's massive fist. The holy man drops his sling and swings his flail, landing a solid blow against the creature's torso, slaying him instantly! The monster falls to the ground slowly, the way an ancient tree falls, sending up spumes of dust into the air!
Giant hp: 4-3
Initiative, PCs first:: 2#1d6 1 2
Movement happens first, then missile fire, then melee. I'm going to assume that Drust is able to move back at the same time as the giant approaches, and thus can get off a shot before it attacks in melee.

Drust: http://orokos.com/roll/621168: 1d20+2 17 1d6 3
Giant, attacking Preacher Cardicus: http://orokos.com/roll/621169: 1d20+8 12 2d4 7
Preacher Cardicus (makes melee attack): http://orokos.com/roll/621170: 1d20+1 16 1d4 4

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#287 Post by hammerHead »

Preacher Cardicus

Let's see about that captive, says the cleric, wiping the blood from his flail.
Rules:

GreyWolfVT

#288 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nerith "Well done Preacher. Though I think you just earned a new title Cardicus the Giant Slayer." the outdoors-man proclaims catching up with Drust and the Preacher. "Now lets go see to that captive." he rushes off to where Bodhi and the captive are to see to freeing the captured being or at least figure out what or whom the captive is.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Bigtaff
Ranger
Ranger

#289 Post by Bigtaff »

Elerik

"Careful don't untie the captive just yet. Let's see who or what it is first."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Rex »

Drust

Drust will search the giant carefully, then move on to the campsite and captive. "Keep an eye out in case their are more."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by thirdkingdom »

The camp is searched. The bound figure proves to be a gnome, a creature roughly the size of a dwarf, with straight black hair, no beard, with skin the color of rockdust. The gnome is semi-conscious and somewhat delirious. Inside the rough hovel the adventurers find the floor is covered with filthy, uncured furs and animal skins, scattered with gold. Lots and lots of gold. Spending some time the companions discover ten thousand gold coins. There are also about a dozen crates and barrels stacked outside on the back side of the building. The containers are obviously not of giant construction, and look like they haven't been outside for very long.

Bigtaff
Ranger
Ranger

#292 Post by Bigtaff »

Elerik

Elerik will carefully investigate the barrels and crates at the back of the hovel.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by ybn1197 »

Bodhi will look to aiding the gnome, providing him with food and water if necessary but not loosening his bonds yet, nodding to Elerick.

GreyWolfVT

#294 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nerith helps free the gnome.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by thirdkingdom »

Bigtaff wrote:Elerik

Elerik will carefully investigate the barrels and crates at the back of the hovel.
At first glance the containers appear to contain trade goods. Prizing open the lid of a crate, Elerik espies a collection of ceramic bowls, some broken, stacked and nestled in straw. The barrels are untapped, and bear a mark unfamiliar to him. He notices several similar barrels littering the ground around the hovel, apparently emptied of contents. Several have their sides stove in.

It will likely take an hour or more to open and catalog the contents of all the crates.

Meanwhile, his companions see to the well-being of the gnome. Several judicious drops of water, applied to his lips, cause the small man's eye's to flutter open as he regains consciousness. "Wha . . . what's happening?! Am I dead or just dreaming!"

hammerHead
Tracker
Tracker

#296 Post by hammerHead »

thirdkingdom wrote:The camp is searched. The bound figure proves to be a gnome, a creature roughly the size of a dwarf, with straight black hair, no beard, with skin the color of rockdust. The gnome is semi-conscious and somewhat delirious. Inside the rough hovel the adventurers find the floor is covered with filthy, uncured furs and animal skins, scattered with gold. Lots and lots of gold. Spending some time the companions discover ten thousand gold coins. There are also about a dozen crates and barrels stacked outside on the back side of the building. The containers are obviously not of giant construction, and look like they haven't been outside for very long.
Preacher Cardicus

10000 gold, not a bad day of work, eh, asks the preacher?
Rules:

GreyWolfVT

#297 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nerith "Aye that's a grand haul far better than we're already being paid. Plus you can tell the ladies you slayed a giant." he gives the Preacher a sly wink. "Ah no you are not dreaming little one you are quite alive." he tells the gnome. "Might I ask your name fair gnome?"

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by thirdkingdom »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Nerith "Aye that's a grand haul far better than we're already being paid. Plus you can tell the ladies you slayed a giant." he gives the Preacher a sly wink. "Ah no you are not dreaming little one you are quite alive." he tells the gnome. "Might I ask your name fair gnome?"
Gnome

The gnome tries to rub his head but finds his wrists bound together. "My name is Ralgil Bao, of the clan Smallburrow," he says, "and I surely would be dead if it wasn't for you fellows. What of the foul brute that held me captive?"

GreyWolfVT

#299 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Nerith cuts the binding on the gnomes wrists and replies "The giant the good Preacher there has slain." he indicates the Giant Slayer Cardicus. "I am Nerith, pleased to meet you Ralgil Bao."
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Fri May 11, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Rex »

Drust

"The foul brute succumbed to the mighty Preacher. Can you tell us how far to your village?"

Return to “Across the Known World (B/X retro)”