Action Thread 13

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 13

#21 Post by Alethan »

"Interesting news, Bruard. The way through the vines does appear to be an obvious choice, then, but I'm not so sure we want to reveal ourselves to our druid friend just yet. Or... maybe we do? The other option would be for me to climb up in the window in the other tower (Tower #5) that is about 20 feet up and try to open the door from the inside."

He looks to Jeloon and Yosef for their input.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Argennian »

Sharing Till's concern over Bruard's sudden movement, Yosef makes ready with his bow, also expecting danger to be chasing his clerical companion. When the priest returns, the elf leans close and listens intently.
ToniXX wrote:Bruard quietly returns to where the rest of the party is. That area (he points at area 6) seems to be well fortified, although I see no one patrolling the area. But in this part of the wall (he points at area 5) there seems to be an opening that I can see that is hidden by some vines. Again, I see no heat signatures, so it seems that there is no patrol, but the vines seem to be magically enhanced, no doubt the work of a druid, I suspect. So, if we move or cut the vines, our presence may be revealed, but it seems that this is our only way in along this back part of the city walls.
Yosef considers this carefully...

Alethan wrote:"Interesting news, Bruard. The way through the vines does appear to be an obvious choice, then, but I'm not so sure we want to reveal ourselves to our druid friend just yet. Or... maybe we do? The other option would be for me to climb up in the window in the other tower (Tower #5) that is about 20 feet up and try to open the door from the inside."

He looks to Jeloon and Yosef for their input.
Yosef nods back at his halfling companion, and whispers his response. "Aye, Till, If the powerful Helm of Sight has revealed something about those vines to friend Bruard, then I say we bypass them and commit to another point of entry. Perhaps you could climb up and take a stealthy reconnoiter, Till. If it looks good, then perhaps we should consider climbing the rope to gain entry, versus the risk of opening any doors for fear of traps or alarms. I will trust you to make that determination once you've gained entry. If we do enter by way of climbing the rope, I would like to be the next one up, so that I may be in a better position to provide cover for us."

The elf then looks to Jeloon for her input.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

Till nods.

"An even better idea, my studious friend!"he adds, with sincerity.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by dmw71 »

Argennian wrote:The elf then looks to Jeloon for her input.
"Me not want to mess with magic vines. Climbing better, if you ask me."
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by rredmond »

So climb up Tower #5 (the bird/"druids" tower) is the plan. First Till then Yosef, correct?
Sounds good, the next I'm guessing is the cleric and then the half-orc as rear guard. I'll wait a bit for confirmation and then move forward with that.
Should be interesting!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by Alethan »

Nooo!

THIS tower.
rredmond wrote: You are heading left of the ivy covered bird tower, to the seemingly deserted tower (just for clarity slice #6, correct?) and the cleric speaks the words to activate the true seeing on his helmet and take a good long look before you head in.

It becomes immediately obvious that this area looks more deserted than any you’ve, or Till, has seen. It doesn’t even have plants growing, or trees spotted around like the other slices, totally bereft of vegetation and almost of ruins. There may be one building standing, but it’s near the rear and barely taller than the wall, thus difficult to see. Now the tower still looks pretty sturdy, its 60’ high, and has massive stone-looking doors that are 10’ wide and 15’ tall. It looks to have windows starting about at 25’ up, with rotten wooden shutters. There is an elevated walkway, about 20’ high that connects the tower to the main wall.
Don't want to disturb the druid yet; I think we want to just get in and see what we can see first.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by rredmond »

Got it! I did want to double check it. You mentioned the "druid" tower as an alternative above, just wanted to be sure I'm reading correctly. Give me a bit to send you the super-secret PM of what's going on! ;)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 1:12a

After a quick discussion, Till takes to the wall. You are all rather impressed with the speed that he climbs it. Within two minutes he is at a window, then changes trajectory slightly and within another minute or two, is at the elevated walkway.

PM sent.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by Alethan »

PM Sent
(Friday, actually... not that I'm trying to rush our GM. Just want the rest of the party to know I'd responded earlier that this post.)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 1:22a

No worries! Had a whirlwind weekend visit to Long Island and now prepping for the State to hit one of my kids programs while I'm desperately trying to open these group homes for folks with developmental disabilities! Work is work, ya know.

Till searches around a bit, seems to be working on getting in the tower (you can tell as some tiny pieces of splintered wood fall on you all) and enters the tower.

PM sent.

WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 1:37a

Used to Till being gone for long periods of time the party is only slightly uneasy.

Then there is a low crunching, stone grinding sound from the front of the tower!

PM sent.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:Then there is a low crunching, stone grinding sound from the front of the tower!
Jeloon whips around, sword drawn, and faces the direction of the noise. She wonders what became of Till as she braces herself for a potential confrontation.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

"Oi!" a whisper and a waving hand come out from a cracked opening in the stone doors, "Some help here? I can't get this thing on my own..."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:"Oi!" a whisper and a waving hand come out from a cracked opening in the stone doors, "Some help here? I can't get this thing on my own..."
Jeloon lowers her sword. "You trouble, Till. You trouble." she says as she moves to give Till a hand with the cracked opening. "You make Jeloon nervous just there."

"A good find, though."
-- Project --
-- DM --

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#35 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard also moves with Jeloon to help opening the door (or whatever it is).
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by Alethan »

(There is a set of stone doors at the base of the tower; Till can just barely get one of them opened.)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Argennian »

When the low crunching, stone grinding sound emanates from the front of the tower, Yosef's heart stops. Once Till announces himself, it starts beating again and the elf lets out his held breath as slowly and quietly as possible!

While Jeloon and Bruard make their way over to help Till get the door open, Yosef remains ready with his bow and arrow and continues his scans of the tower and walkways above, to see if the noise alerted anyone. Or anything.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 1:45a

With Jeloon and Bruard's help, Till is able to get one of the massive doors open. There are two stone doors that are 10' wide and 15' tall in the bottom of this tower. Inside the room is spartan, but large, 100' in diameter, the ceiling is 20' high. There are no windows in this room, but from what you've seen the second floor has the windows. There are steps going along the inner wall of this tower, to an opening that leads to the second floor and beyond. It's still and quiet, it's even harder to hear the birds in here.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#39 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:Inside the room is spartan, but large, 100' in diameter, the ceiling is 20' high. There are no windows in this room, but from what you've seen the second floor has the windows. There are steps going along the inner wall of this tower, to an opening that leads to the second floor and beyond. It's still and quiet, it's even harder to hear the birds in here.
Jeloon considers her new surroundings; sword in hand as she remains prepared for the unknown. "So, where to?" she asks Till, who's most familiar with their new venue. "And, should we close these doors again?"
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by Alethan »

Till nods. "Let's get Yosef in here and close the door back up."

He continues once Yosef is inside, so everyone can hear his report after they close the doors and bar them again.

"From what I can tell, this place hasn't been used or touched in years. It looks like the tower has three levels - ground level, the first floor above, then the second floor. They all have 20' ceilings and huge open spaces. Well... the ground floor and first floor do; in truth, I never checked the second floor. I came in on the first floor landing and went straight down to let you all in so you could get out of sight."

"As far as I can tell, this was probably just a staging area for bringing troops out to defend the city when it was under attack. There isn't much to it," he looks around, "but I can't imagine why it isn't being used - not for storage or for living quarters or... anything. It's dry and solid and it wouldn't take much work to make it very defensible. The door I came in through had its hinges rusted solid, but I was able to pry a rotten board off and get in. Hopefully we can do something similar on the top floor to use the walkway to get into the city."

As they start heading up the stairs, Till pauses and turns to the others. "We'll want to be sure and control our light sources, especially when we're near any windows or the door (now with a hole in it) on the first floor. No sense in drawing attention to ourselves."

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”