Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

#261 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma
Storm11 wrote:Jamal shakes his head sadly. I have the spell to shrink but it only works once, and I can only shrink him enough to make him almost 50% smaller, not enough to squeeze through the hole. I have a spell that can make ME insubstantial, but no one else sadly. If we could shape the hole bigger, or dispel the walls magic it might work. But I know no such enchantments.
Perks up and looks at Jamal. What if we could make the rocks insubstantial? Do you think we could create a variant on the spell and do that? Kind of how a life give can be turned into a life steal?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#262 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar
Monsieur Rose wrote:Dubb

Smiles as Asad releases Soraya. "The loot, Asad. The spoils come next. Even though Benham here has found the sword, there may yet be a treasure for the taking in the cave."
The sword wasn't all I found! I also found a ring, earrings, and these stones! The sha'ir pulls out a small, tarnished silver box. Opening it reveals two ioun stones: 1 dull gray prism and 1 clear spindle. Plus some (537) gold. I don't think the earrings are magical, but I believe everything else is. Well, the grey stone seems dead.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#263 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex says,"Is there a way to dig under the wall thing to dig him out or is he surrounded by this wall somehow? As for the Loot let's just hang on to it and figure that out later."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal shrugs and looks at Benham. i don’t think we can do that can we Benham. The wraithform affects only the caster, and not an object at all. Perhaps Dubb has a prayer that can soften stone so we can break in with tools perhaps?
Greys Campaign.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by ravenn4544 »

Dubb

Smiles as Asad releases Soraya. "The loot, Asad. The spoils come next. Even though Benham here has found the sword, there may yet be a treasure for the taking in the cave."

He turns to the werehyenas. "Tell us more about Ynadin. What is his motivation for such games?"
Asad grunts in agreement. "I'm keeping the shield," he says matter-of-factly and picks up his scimitar and waits for the loot to be examined.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

"My God does favor a prayer to move quickly while in gaseous form, but unfortunately I am not yet worthy of it." Dubb seems both humbled and embarrassed at the same time. Dubb thinks for a moment. "Maybe Mahara himself has the spells to escape if he could only have the peace to reflect and refresh."
Dubb looks around at the group. "It may be that our only option is to confront the Gen directly."

Dubb chuckles at Asad's comment. "I'd like to see that. Wielding a great scimitar while holding a shield. I do believe you might be able to pull it off."

He finally turns to Benham."Well then. Remind me to have you loot more often. I think it may be possible, even likely, that our friends here know the nature of those items. Soraya? What do you know of them?"

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#267 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Mahara's Cave

The group moves to the entrance of the last cave, to see exactly what Jamal described, the entrance is blocked by a wall of stone. It certainly must be by means of a spell since it is about 3 feet in from the actual entrance and does not appear to be made by any living beings hands. There is no sign of any craftsmanship the wall is perfect even more than a dwarf or gnome could build. Examining the wall you find the wall is pierced by a hole, 3 inches in diameter, roughly about human height up on the wall. Anyone peering through the hole can just barely see an old man looking quite starved and fairly dehydrated but still breathing, looks like the described hermit Mahara.

Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308

#268 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

Unfortunately, I do not know of any magic that would be of use in this situation. I'm sure there are powerful spells that would make quick work of this wall. However, unless I see something cast, I cannot send Jafar to fetch it for me. Speaking of Jafar, he should be back by now...

A sheepish voice is heard from outside the cave. I'm sorry, Master. I could not find the spell you requested, and when I returned to find that combat had ended, I assumed you had no need of me. Can I find a spell for you?

Not at this time, Iskandar sighs. I don't know how I can apply any of the spells I am familiar with to the current situation.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by ravenn4544 »

Dubb chuckles at Asad's comment. "I'd like to see that. Wielding a great scimitar while holding a shield. I do believe you might be able to pull it off."

Asad
frowns at Dubb. He considers a moment and attaches the shield to his pack. Clearly keeping it even if he can't use it just yet.

He stalks off and, hearing Abrex's suggestion, starts to pick at the floor with his sword at the base of the wall to see if it can be dug.

GreyWolfVT

#271 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Bluehorse wrote:does it look like there is enough hole to slip him some food or drink?
3 inch hole you can shrink rations and pass them through the hole but Jamal has already done this. Also Jamal was told what the ioun stones do/are they actually belong to Mahara. To save waiting on Storm11 ;) The clear crystal stone sustains someone without food or water. In other words he won't die of starvation while the stone is still working.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Storm11 »

jamal has already done that :D
Greys Campaign.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

Dubb walks over to the wall and addresses Mahara. "Greetings Master Mahara. I am Dubb, Mystic of Haku. It seems that we are the first to be able to reach you and lend you aid. If you are able, can you tell us about the Gen and how he came to trap you here? We met him on the way here and he was obsessed with a riddle of sorts."

GreyWolfVT

#274 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Mahara chuckles a little "Well I figured out the Dao's weakness is his intelligence. I suspect he trapped me for the fun of it as he appears to be quite the bully. He has a temper and hates being wrong. My little riddle trick worked to get him away but he as you can see decided that I won't be going anywhere."

Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#275 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer approached the stone wall and examined it carefully. He probed the area that adjoined the cave wall with his fingers in an attempt to determine whether the blocks were anchored to the living rock in any particular manner. He then placed his hand through the only apparent opening in order to learn how thick the stone wall actually was.

"My friends, this wall, it is not very thick. It may be possible to pull it down with the aid of our beasts of burden." he suggested.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma

Feeling cheeky. could we make a battering ram driven by the camels and using Asad's head? It has been proven to be quite hard. she smiles at him. seriously though, if we could hand through some materials for our friend to make a large grabbling hook like object we could tied a rope to, lead it to the camels and have them pull as a team, we could possibly make quick work of this. I think a metal shaft of any kind would be sufficient as long as our friend can tie a good knot.

Scott308

#277 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

Jafar, please find me the Move Sand spell. That is really the only magic I can call forth that I believe would be of any assistance in this situation. Of course, even that assumes Jafar will be successful in bringing the spell to me, so I would suggest trying any other ideas you may have instead of waiting for the inevitable disappointment.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by Dram »

Anuzal examines the items found. I can tell the approximate value only.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

"I like all the ideas I'm hearing. My concern is what happens after we liberate Mahara. I presume that the Gen will return and then come looking for us. Maybe a direct confrontation is inevitable." Dubb ponders a moment. "You say that the Gen isn't particularly bright. Maybe we can use that and his hatred of losing to trick him."

Dubb examines the ground beneath the wall, and for the first time, the wall itself. Maybe his dwarven lineage will help him understand its connection to the cave.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma

Or... perhaps use that to our advantage and make him think he has won? It could be an angle that few have tried against him.
Perhaps if we expound his wits and fon over him a bit we can get him to release our friend here. Reverse psychology, as they say.
Let him think he has won and then trick him in the process into doing as we wish. If he isn't very bright, and I know we are assuming a bit here, perhaps we can trick him into thinking it was his idea as a display of his greatness.

Return to “Archive”