Expedition: Fingers/Ghostly Trial - Part II - 23 July 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Fingers/Ghostly Trial - Part II - 23 July 20

#521 Post by Marullus »

Faster for you, not for me. ;) I am already trying to keep up with all threads. :roll:

You had money, time to prepare, and went to the store. I don't mind allowing the retroactive sack purchase by Fingers under this circumstance because he tried to buy the mule, saddle, and pack appropriately. it's not compelling enough of a problem to slow the adventure down - the main question is, how many time are you going to risk going back in to haul more stuff out? :twisted:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#522 Post by Zhym »

We're going to load up the pony and mules, of course. If we can do 600 lbs per trip, that's one trip out, then another in and back out. We can bring the gems, magic items, gold, books, and everything else in the list (including 25 lbs of silver) in the first trip. Then the question is whether it's worth a trip back into the dungeon for 600 gp worth of silver. I think the answer to that is yes (especially with the undead-blasting firepower we have and our clerics being full up on spells for the new day).

Thanks for letting me backdate the sacks. Four large sacks added, 8 sp deducted. Also, 1.5 days rations and 1 day of feed dedcuted. And mule belatedly named Elmer.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#523 Post by Alethan »

Bandy has 6 large sacks.

Why doesn't everyone leave for an expedition with 4 or more large sacks? That should be a requirement.

Also, Mitch is NOT a pack animal. He's a pony. But he will haul things for Bandy if he's asked nicely..
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#524 Post by Zhym »

10 sacks ought to carry 600 lbs worth of stuff, assuming the other 300 lbs we're carrying in equipment is already either worn or stowed away in something.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#525 Post by onlyme »

Markd (according to his char sheet, so hope I accounted correctly) has 8 large empty sacks for such purposes.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#526 Post by DavetheLost »

Hengist has 3 empty large sacks, and will buy more before the next expedition.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#527 Post by Marullus »

So, you have sacks. You made it out with 600lbs of treasure (please pick). Now what?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#528 Post by Zhym »

This is still the plan, in case you missed it:
Zhym wrote:We're going to load up the pony and mules, of course. If we can do 600 lbs per trip, that's one trip out, then another in and back out. We can bring the gems, magic items, gold, books, and everything else in the list (including 25 lbs of silver) in the first trip. Then the question is whether it's worth a trip back into the dungeon for 600 gp worth of silver. I think the answer to that is yes (especially with the undead-blasting firepower we have and our clerics being full up on spells for the new day).

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#529 Post by Marullus »

Thanks. I am looking for IC (non-red) actions when I skim through.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#530 Post by Zhym »

Fingers commands Sprinkles to stay with the Franken while the party goes back in for the silver. He also tries to stay as inconspicuous as his skills and his fancy elven cloak allow.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#531 Post by Zhym »

FWIW, here's what I have us leaving behind:

700 lbs copper (70 gp)
825 lbs silver (825 gp) (assuming 50 lbs of the silver we bring is in the form of the curios and cameos)
7 shields (70 lbs, 35 gp)
6 flails (30 lbs, 9 gp)
7 two-handed swords (105 lbs, 52.5 gp)
1 copper coffin liner (150 lbs, 15 gp)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#532 Post by Marullus »

Disappearing as he dons his magical cloak and moving with a pad-foot's grace, Fingers goes back in for more silver. He returns a little over two hours later, having been able to sneak back to the Clelland Crypt, fill his sacks, and make his way back out.

Assuming he leaves his pack in camp: His armor, bow, sword, and lantern are 20lbs. That gives 160lbs of additional silver.

For Fingers:
You are able to move slowly and cautiously back into the crypt. The chandeliers still light the court room; you wait to light your lantern until you're safe in the Clelland crypt and need to inspect merchandise.

You saw spectres roaming in the courtroom and in the large room with the stair, now released from their bondage. You also hear scrambling and scratching noises behind the as-yet-closed doors in the large room as well... other things awoken within by the breaking of the enchantment.
Date: 10:00am, 25 July 2021
Light: Sunlight
Effects: None
Injuries: None

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#533 Post by Zhym »

Fingers looks, well, spooked. "It's even worse in there now! The whole place is crawling with ghosts—or floating with them, I guess. And there's things scratching at the doors now, too. It's like ending the curse woke everyone up!"

He loads the silver onto the pack animals (and the pony, who he has been told in no uncertain terms is not a pack animal). "I don't think we need the other 440 pounds of silver, do you? I got through this time without 'em noticing me, but I dunno if I can do it again."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#534 Post by Alethan »

Bandy grips the lead on Mitch's bridle tightly as Fingers describes the abundance of floating spectres and ghosts and the clawing at doors.

"So... it sounds like our time here is done. I'm not going back in there, in any case. But maybe we need to let the priests at the Temple of Baudh know that we broke the curse... and for some reason that means NOW the ghosts are free?"

Bandy is fine with heading back to town and ending the expedition.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#535 Post by onlyme »

Markd nods his approval to wrap it up with that they secured.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#536 Post by Zhym »

Fingers

"Yeah, I don't get it. I thought ending the curse would make it, y'know, like a normal tomb where the dead people don't get up and bother you. I guess there's still something wrong, but I sure as heck don't want to find out what right now. At least we know people can't just walk in and take stuff."

"So, yeah. Back to town."

Update list of what we're leaving behind:

700 lbs copper (70 gp)
1265 lbs silver (1265 gp) (assuming 50 lbs of the silver we bring is in the form of the curios and cameos)
7 shields (70 lbs, 35 gp)
6 flails (30 lbs, 9 gp)
7 two-handed swords (105 lbs, 52.5 gp)
1 copper coffin liner (150 lbs, 15 gp)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#537 Post by Marullus »

Fingers recognized the spectres from the benches in the trial room... previously held in thrall by Cathalon, they are the ones that scattered when the spell was broken. The party killed two and scared away one other -- there were perhaps a dozen of the minor spectres before the trial was ended. Though the primary spectres were all expelled, these thralls remain.

Loading up the animals with the treasure, you begin back west-southwest towards the river ford. (760 lbs on the three animals is at 60'; half-speed). It takes about eight hours before you reach Frogmorton Ford and pass across the river into safety. Being dinner time (and as Fingers has the gratitude of the river guardsmen), they offer you supper and let you stay overnight in the extra barracks at their tower, continuing on the journey from Frogmorton to Gaul (taking a bit longer than a half-day due to your laden mounts). You reach Gaul safely mid-afternoon on 26 July.

After taking some time to divvy up your spoils (continue in this thread), you take a well-deserved break in town. (Pick a settlement, housing, food, and advance post to advance your personal clocks forward to the current IC date of 19 August.)

Date: 4:00pm, 26 July 2021
Light: Sunlight
Effects: None
Injuries: None

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#538 Post by Zhym »

Whew!

Marullus, do we have an idea of what the gems are worth? Or do we need to take them somewhere to be appraised?

Also, since Fingers owns the shop that would do it, do we need to spend 200 gp to check the loot for curses?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#539 Post by Marullus »

Can someone post your final player map for the adventure? Also, do you share it in the tavern (and thus on the Maps thread?) *hint hint*

Taking two dozen mostly-intact volumes chronicling the history of King Farthegn's reign to Wilhelm the Sage, he seems quite pleased. He offers you 600gp additional for the volumes. The Usurer is also able to appraise your gemstones for you (see below).

You have the assistant at Finger's shop check the items and find no curses among them. (Subtract 100gp for her materials/costs. 100gp profit bypassed by Fingers.)

Expedition Summary - Part II:
Encounter: The Orcish Patrol
Encounter: The Skeletal Guardians
Event: Destroying the eternal skeletal remains
Event: The Ensorceled Door
Encounter: Slaying the Wight
Encounter: The Clelland Family Ghouls
Encounter: The ghost of Kelyr the Steward
Encounter: Speaking with Agheth
Event: Ending the Trial of Agheth's Virtue
Event: Aslyn the Red reveals his Tower
Encounter: The Three Hungry Ghosts

Sub-total: 22,413
(4 PCs, 1 NPC)

XP Totals:
Allmond: 3,242 Character XP / 1245 item XP
PCs: 6,484 Character XP / 2,490 item XP

Treasure:
- 300lbs gold (3000gp)
- 60lbs of gold (600gp)
- 50lbs tarnished silver curios and delicately fashioned silver cameos of people's faces, each about 5 inches across (50gp)
- 135lbs silver (135gp)
- two dozen mostly-intact volumes chronicling the history of King Farthegn's reign (600gp, 120lbs)
- three large maps of the kingdom's holdings (i.e. each a treasure map to somewhere in Yoldessi plains)

Nine Gems:
500 - a clear round-cut diamond
10 - a long quartz crystal
500 -a clear cushion-cut diamond
250 - a round, faceted ruby
1,000 - A clear yellow diamond the size of an acorn
25 - three polished onyx roundels
50 - A tear-drop shaped sapphire

Magic Items:
- a slender wand of polished onyx wood (created item)
- a platinum brooch-clasp with a deep blue faceted stone (created item)
- a golden ring covered with magical symbols (created item)
- Scroll: Ward vs Lycanthropes
- Scroll: Four spells (15 spell-levels long)
- Scroll: Four spells (10 spell-levels long)
- an inky black potion bottle
- a large scroll case filled with a massive scroll with magical writing (five spells, 17 spell-levels long)
- one huge and well-preserved tome titled, 'Trials to Knighthood: The Journey of Collen Clelland' (10lbs)
- a slender-bladed dagger with a ruby pommel-stone (imbued, 4,001xp)
- a steel longsword with Clelland-crest pommel (imbued, 32001xp)
- a horseman's roundshield with a Clelland crest (imbued, 16001xp)
- a massive blue-steeled two-handed sword with a flamberge blade (imbued, 64001xp)
- Golden ring set with green malachite stones (imbued, 16001xp)
- 10 bone tubes of powdered metal (created items)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#540 Post by Zhym »

Niiiice.

Now that we know nothing is cursed, can we ID the basic bonuses of the weapons and shield by sparring with them?

Although, wait: a weapon like Markd's dagger, that tries to possess the owner, isn't technically "cursed," is it?

Anyone object to having the Infirmary of Eruanna check the loot for infernal/evil taint?

Is there anyone in town who will read magic for a fee? So we can find out what's on those scrolls?

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”