Expedition: Fingers/The Ghostly Trial - 16 July 2021

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Fingers/The Ghostly Trial - 16 July 2021

#301 Post by Zhym »

Also, it's damned hard to plan this kind of thing out for a group when you won't let us see other players' character sheets. If I could see what we had, I could calculate how much we could carry (both in terms of sacks and in therms of current load), but having to wait for everyone to kibitz on what they have and can carry is making this drag on.

Which is fine, but don't expect us to respond quickly when you tell us you need to know how we're getting the loot back to town.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#302 Post by Alethan »

Bandy pulls six large sacks out of his backpack so they might be filled with gold and silver coin.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by Zhym »

That would let us carry 360 lbs on the staffs-and-blanket sledge, yes?

BTW, I think this question got lost in my stealth edit:
Would Bandy the halfling be any harder to spot than Fingers in the elven cloak? Or does the halfling skill at blending in not stack with the cloak? If it does, Fingers might loan the cloak to Bandy to act as scout. Then Fingers would hang back as sledge guard.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by Marullus »

I would roll the chances to hide separately (just like Fingers Hide in Shadows).

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Zhym »

Oh, and I see that halflings hide with 90% effectiveness in bushes or other outdoor cover. And have a +1 to initiative when alone or with other halflings.

Okay, here's the plan unless anyone objects: Bandy scouts about 150' ahead. Markd and Hengist drag a staffs-and-blanket sledge (loaded with 6 bags of 600 gp each) and a coffin sledge (loaded with 1400 gp and 1400 sp). Allmond can either drag a coffin full of 2800 sp or he can stay on guard, whichever he chooses. Fingers stays back with the coin haulers to provide cover and sneak attack if needed. If Bandy has enough natural cover to hide with his 90% effectiveness, Fingers keeps his cloak on. If not, Fingers loans the cloak to Bandy.

That gets us back with 5000 gp and either 1400 or 4200 sp. Assuming we can get back.

Sound good, everyone?

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#306 Post by DavetheLost »

Sounds like a fair plan to me.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by onlyme »

Markd also shows he has several sacks available for filling. (8 large ones)

He agrees to help load up whatever they decide to use, and get back to town asap.

I am guessing we would be at 1/4 speed anyway with how loaded we would be. Might as well load what we can on a sledge.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#308 Post by Alethan »

Bandy nods in agreement of the plan. He tries to adjust his new suit of banded mail and magical longsword, still impressed that the armour weighs LESS than his old armour!

Once everyone else is ready, Bandy indicates the call of the whippoorwill as a signal for the party to halt their forward action and heads off in the direction of Gaul, sticking to tall grasses and shadows as best he can so as to properly scout without being seen.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by Zhym »

With Markd's sacks, that will let us use the full 380 lb capacity of the sledge, so we can drag back 1600 or 4400 sp, depending on what Allmond decides to do, instead of the 1400 or 4200 I said above.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by Marullus »

The party decides on its course of action. Bandy, with his new armor and sword, scouts ahead of the group, relying on his ability to hide and be still if trouble emerges. Fingers dons his elven cloak, its rippling concealment allowing him and his longbow to cover the group from behind. Sprinkles the hound trots nearby his invisible master.

This leaves Markd, Allmond, and Hengist to haul sledges worth of treasure back to town. One sledge is made from the extra staves and a bedroll. Two of the coffins are then emptied of their contents - more than a dozen centuries have reduced that which was within to naught but dried bones and dust. The two priests do their best to handle the remains respectfully and leave them on the beir.

320lb max limit for person with the stave/sledge. 220lbs for each of the people hauling coffins. I'll assume they each have 50lbs of personal gear on them as well (which they don't throw away). That's 270 + 170 + 170 = 610 lbs of loot.

They group takes the extra two shields (20lbs) and packs them. They then load the sledges with all the gold items from the tombs (500lbs) and then as much silver as they can handle (90lbs).

The rest of the grave goods are placed back into the family crypts and the stone doors are pulled shut, leaving them much as you found them.
Claimed:

From Ambush:
A clear glass orb four inches in diameter
50gp - large cloudy light green jade
500gp - A pair of steel gauntlets embellished with gold accents and set with shimmering red-orange ammolite stones.

From Tomb:
- Banded mail with the Lamond Family crest enameled upon the breastplate, showing an eagle ascending [Bandy]
- Banded mail with the Penderyn Family crest enameled upon the breastplate, showing a tower quartered with a spring of mistletoe [Heingist]
- A gilded longsword with a lion-head pommel engraved to honor the Bowman family [Bandy]
- An electrum-inlaid longsword with engravings to honor the Penderyn family [Fingers]
- a tall wooden walking stick of curled oak with a polished ball-knob top [Allmond]
- A sealed reliquary box with inscriptions to Baudhon, strung on a steel necklace chain [Heingist]

Packed:
90lbs of silver items (90gp value)
500lbs of gold items (5,000gp value)
- A horseman's shield with the Lamond Family crest enameled upon it showing an eagle ascending
- A kite shield with the Penderyn Family crest enameled upon it showing a tower quartered with a spring of mistletoe

Being Abandoned:
800lbs of copper items (80gp value)
1,310lbs of silver items (1,310gp value)
The party thus moves on, dragging the load back to the Frogmorton Ford. Pressing onward through the night, the group spies the river and ford before them as the sun rises. Sixteen hours of pulling the treasure-filled coffins across the grasslands and the treasure is secured. (5:00am on 21 July) Allmond also uses the power of his new staff to offer further healing to each of the wounded members of the party: everyone is fully healed when you cross the river to go to town.

The guards are willing to loan a wagon to help get the wares the rest of the way to Gaul proper, where you arrive at noon on 21 July. The coffins are pretty well destroyed by their cross-country usage. Bandy visits the blacksmith to have his armor fitted. He'll be ready to depart on the 23rd.

The precious metal items are well-received by the Usurer (thus freeing up the wagon for return to the Ford). He collects his customary fee of 1% for conversion and returns 504pp to you in one large sack.

You have a crystal orb, a large cloudy light green jade (50gp), and a pair of gauntlets that are practically a work of art. Allmond reveals that the orb is magical, the gauntlets are not. With a full-share promised to Allmond for his aid, he takes the gauntlets and 56pp. You then you divide the coin evenly, each of you getting 112pp (1120 gold piece value). Allmond donates the gauntlets as half his share (50pp) to the Church of Baudh.

You need to divide/confirm:
- 50gp - large cloudy light green jade
- A clear glass orb four inches in diameter
- A horseman's shield with the Lamond Family crest enameled upon it showing an eagle ascending
- A kite shield with the Penderyn Family crest enameled upon it showing a tower quartered with a spring of mistletoe

- Banded mail with the Lamond Family crest enameled upon the breastplate, showing an eagle ascending [Bandy]
- Banded mail with the Penderyn Family crest enameled upon the breastplate, showing a tower quartered with a spring of mistletoe [Heingist]
- A gilded longsword with a lion-head pommel engraved to honor the Bowman family [Bandy]
- An electrum-inlaid longsword with engravings to honor the Penderyn family [Fingers]
- a tall wooden walking stick of curled oak with a polished ball-knob top [Allmond]
- A sealed reliquary box with inscriptions to Baudhon, strung on a steel necklace chain [Heingist]

(Decide any town actions. You can interact in the tavern with Baxtaw's group if any wish to do so, as he has not yet departed. You can then depart back to the tomb on the morning of the 23rd. I'll post the Expedition Summary shortly.)

Date: noon, 21 July 2021
Light: Sunlight
Effects: (-1 to rolls from no rest)
Weather: 51 degrees, 5-7mph winds from NE, moderate rain fading to drizzle
Injuries: None

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by Marullus »

Expedition Summary - Part 1
Encounter: Ogres at the Canal Locks
Encounter: Throghrin ambush
Encounter: Gargoyle Roosts
Encounter: Gargoyles Dive at Dusk

New Hexes: None
Expedition Length: 5 days

Allmond: 2,510 character xp / 941 item xp
All PCs: 5,020 character xp / 1,882 item xp

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by onlyme »

I am a bit perplexed how we need to divide the magical stuff, especially with folks claiming everything already.

I dont think anyone can directly use the shields, so they are probably best sold and divided.
Does the magical aura show differences in the amount of magic (ie, 1st, 2nd level, etc)?
Do we need to see one of the churches to have them help us?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by Zhym »

I'd forgotten all about the orb! But did we not also bring this with us?:
A pair of steel gauntlets embellished with gold accents and set with shimmering red-orange ammolite stones.
As for the magic and/or special items, I'm fine with distribution to whoever has claimed them so far. It seems to have fallen along the lines of who can use them (swords to the non-clerics, clerical stuff to the clerics, etc.). Fingers would like to keep the orb if possible, at least until it's clear it's not something he can use (I can't remember if he knows anything about it yet). If we have the gauntlets, maybe we should include them in a pile to detect magic on. Someone might be able to use them.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:I'd forgotten all about the orb! But did we not also bring this with us?:
A pair of steel gauntlets embellished with gold accents and set with shimmering red-orange ammolite stones.
As for the magic and/or special items, I'm fine with distribution to whoever has claimed them so far. It seems to have fallen along the lines of who can use them (swords to the non-clerics, clerical stuff to the clerics, etc.). Fingers would like to keep the orb if possible, at least until it's clear it's not something he can use (I can't remember if he knows anything about it yet). If we have the gauntlets, maybe we should include them in a pile to detect magic on. Someone might be able to use them.
Covered here:
Allmond reveals that the orb is magical, the gauntlets are not. With a full-share promised to Allmond for his aid, he takes the gauntlets and 56pp.
They are object d'art, so only NPCs accept them at full value. I gave it to Allmond as part of his share, which resulted in 11pp extra in each of the PC's shares.
onlyme wrote:I am a bit perplexed how we need to divide the magical stuff, especially with folks claiming everything already.

I dont think anyone can directly use the shields, so they are probably best sold and divided.
Does the magical aura show differences in the amount of magic (ie, 1st, 2nd level, etc)?
Do we need to see one of the churches to have them help us?
That's how they were claimed during the expedition. It is possible you'll want to renegotiate now that it is "for keeps." For example, does Markd let Hengeist keep the +3 quarterstaff? If not, then Hengeist might want to pick something different (such as the better shield, or letting the NPC keep the Staff of Healing).

The base bonus on a shield can be determined by testing it, just like weapons and armor. I'll assume you do so.
- A kite shield with the Penderyn Family crest enameled upon it showing a tower quartered with a spring of mistletoe. Shield +2 (AC -3, -4 vs missile fire, 5lbs) [8,001xp]
- A horseman's shield with the Lamond Family crest enameled upon it showing an eagle ascending. Shield +1 (AC -2, 5lbs) [4,001xp]

These items would need to be tested in play, or taken to Pierpont's Tower in Frogmorton Ford for testing to reveal their powers:
- A sealed reliquary box with inscriptions to Baudhon, strung on a steel necklace chain
- A clear glass orb four inches in diameter

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#315 Post by Zhym »

The kite shield is one heck of a nice shield. Hard to imagine one of the clerics wouldn't rather use that than his own shield!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by onlyme »

Zhym wrote:As for the magic and/or special items, I'm fine with distribution to whoever has claimed them so far. It seems to have fallen along the lines of who can use them (swords to the non-clerics, clerical stuff to the clerics, etc.). .

Markd (and I dont know who else) didnt claim anything.

Were the armor and swords graded? trying to figure how how to make it somewhat fair, other than sticking him with 2 shields that he gameplay wise cant use, and having him sell them, or him taking the orb.

Also. The staff to Heigst was not a permanent gift. I did that for the expedition to help him out. If the cleric (either allmond or heingst needs a staff for the 2nd attempt, then he'd lend it again) So, if he needs to switch out one of his claimed items for the staff and have Allmond grab something else?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#317 Post by Alethan »

Bandy is fine with just the two items, so he would give up the pp proportion if that was necessary. The one unfortunate thing about Bandy being a halfling is that a longsword needs to be used two-handed and he likely couldn't use a kite shield; otherwise, he'd happily take a shield instead of the armour.

As long as he's available for NPCing, I think having an NPC Healbot with a healing staff is an awesome idea.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by Zhym »

Whoops! I completely missed Markd's name not being on the list of loot claimed. Must be that low charisma working against him again. ;) Can Markd not use a shield at all?

How big is a horseman's shield? Could Bandy use that?

Based on what people have done and said so far, this looks like everyone's first choice:

Allmond: Curled-oak walking stick
Bandy: Lamond banded mail
Fingers: Sword
Heingist: Penderyn banded mail
Markd: Sword?

That would leave the reliquary box, the glass orb, the two shields, and the 50gp jade left to be claimed. Bandy would have to give up the sword, however. Unless Markd wants the other banded mail and Heingist can use the sweet shield?
Last edited by Zhym on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#319 Post by Alethan »

Bandy can use a shield with his current weapon (a longsword that is only magical towards undead, but his second tier is that it is balanced enough that characters under 4' tall can wield it with one hand), but not with the other magical longsword.

So... he could take the banded mail and the horseman's shield and leave the sword for Markd, but doesn't Markd have several magical weapons already?

Hey, onlyme, Bandy could sweeten the deal with a cursed cat-head dagger! Eh? Eh? tempted, aren't you?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by Zhym »

This seems to be a side effect of imbued heroic weapons: we find powerful stuff and think, "Nah, I'm good," because we already imbued our items with the properties we want them to have.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”